PDA

View Full Version : English Problem - Cloth or Cue Ball?

ObeOne
09-28-2002, 07:28 PM
At the pool hall I go to, I have no problem putting plenty of draw on the cueball. When I get home on my own table however, I can't seem to draw the ball worth crap. The cloth on my home table is pretty crappy and worn out, and I'm thinking that's the problem. But I also clean the cueball with dusting stuff... can't think of the name right now. The cue ball is the Aramith cueball with a little red aramith logo on it. Is it my cloth that's causing the problem, or the cueball?

09-28-2002, 07:43 PM
I doubt it is the cloth. Try this...wash the cue ball in hot soapy water. Dry it. Now give it a try. Don't use that dusting stuff on your cue ball.

Chris Cass
09-28-2002, 07:53 PM
Hi ObeOne,

Take cuebald' advice, it's definitely the dusting stuff. Cleaning the balls is important but what's really important is what your cleaning them with. When cleaning with wax or stuff that has a silicone type additive. The balls become slippery. The stuff transfers to the cloth and picks up hairs and things you didn't think you had on a table.

Less friction also may even cause miscues. What I would do is clean all of them now. Well, take a break first. LOL

Regards,

C.C.

ObeOne
09-28-2002, 11:54 PM
Yes that's another thing I noticed... I miscue alot more with my cueball. I'll try the hot soapy water tonight. Thanks for the advice.

TomBrooklyn
09-29-2002, 01:24 AM
Quote: Chris Cass: When cleaning with wax or stuff that has a silicone type additive. The balls become slippery. The stuff transfers to the cloth and picks up hairs and things you didn't think you had on a table.<hr></blockquote> Hey Chris, I was at the 3C 2001 Hoppe Cup trick shot exhibition by Semih Sayginer. (You can see some highlights of it here: <a target="_blank" href=http://caromtv.com/webcam.html>http://caromtv.com/webcam.html</a> ) Sometimes Semih would spray his cue ball with WD-40 and then polish it off with a rag. I don't know why he did that, but I was wondering. I do know though that he can draw two lengths plus two widths of the table without a miscue. It gives me goosebumps to watch the video. He used a special cue ball that had a bunch of big red dots on it that highlighted the english, though the dots don't show on the video. Maybe the WD-40 was to affect the way the ball came off the rails!?/ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif =TB

Chris Cass
09-29-2002, 07:16 AM
Hi Tom,

I have no clue why he would spray the ball with WD-40. I did see a pool room owner spray the cloth once with silicone. The table ran really fast. However, you could feel the crap on your hands.

I could be wrong about the miscuing but I noticed that it was more than often with a hard tip after the balls had been waxed. I also blame 99% of miscues on the shooters not stroking properly.

I watched a tape at JimS.' house with Scott and there was this guy that could amazingly do some really excellent shots. He was doing them for a trickshot event or something like that. I'm thinking it was the best cb control I'd ever seen. I also think the cue was like a 10 or 11mm? He was from another country but boy he could make whitey dance.

I know you didn't mention it but 97% of the advice I give is through my experiences and the rest is opinion. I don't mind admitting if I am wrong. I don't do extensive research on any subject.

Regards,

C.C.

TonyM
09-29-2002, 11:55 PM
Your cloth, and maybe your stroke?

Tony

TonyM
09-29-2002, 11:57 PM
Waxing, or spraying a cueball with silicone will increase your ability to apply draw. It reduces friction. So that's not likely what obewan's problem is.

Fred Agnir
09-30-2002, 12:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: ObeOne:</font><hr> At the pool hall I go to, I have no problem putting plenty of draw on the cueball. When I get home on my own table however, I can't seem to draw the ball worth crap. The cloth on my home table is pretty crappy and worn out, and I'm thinking that's the problem. But I also clean the cueball with dusting stuff... can't think of the name right now. The cue ball is the Aramith cueball with a little red aramith logo on it. Is it my cloth that's causing the problem, or the cueball? <hr></blockquote>
Stroke. I'll be harsh and say that the nice cloth at the pool hall is masking an apparent problem in your stroke.

OTOH, clean, dry cloth at home is a nice goal.

Fred &lt;~~~ hopes the Jedi Knight isn't using resin on his cueball