PDA

View Full Version : Breitbart Takes A Dirt Nap

DiabloViejo
03-03-2012, 01:30 AM
Breitbart Takes A Dirt Nap
... Incendiary political opportunist dead at 43
by Victor Epstein
Published: March 2, 2012
Breitbart Takes a Dirt Nap (http://www.cynicaltimes.org/articles/breitbart-takes-a-dirt-nap/)

Propagandist Andrew Breitbart collapsed and died Thursday while walking near his home in Los Angeles, leaving behind a string of wrecked individuals and organizations devoted to the less fortunate.

As a conservative media hatchetman and journalist of convenience, Breitbart has been at the forefront of the race to the bottom in both national news and politics for more than a decade. The 43-year-old melded political activism with propaganda to bring woe to liberal causes and individuals who often seemed incapable of defending themselves against his virulent attacks. He was facing the legal consequences for that aggressive partisan behavior at the time of his death.

Breitbart, who was raised in Los Angeles' upscale Brentwood community, and his youthful sidekick, James O'Keefe, who was raised in the affluent New Jersey community of Westwood, formed a kind of dynamic duo for those seeking to mislead the faltering middle class on behalf of predatory elites. They used partially staged and heavily edited videotapes to exaggerate the sins of their political opponents and spread them so rapidly via conservative websites that the mainstream news media was forced to match many of their alleged "scoops" without thoroughly vetting them.

The result was an echo chamber where conservative lies quickly took on the appearance of truth. The debris created by those misrepresentations left many political and news insiders in puzzlement Thursday as they struggled to praise the life of a damaging and divisive figure at the time of his passing.

"It’s difficult for me to assess Breitbart’s impact upon American media and American politics as anything other than poisonous," conservative David Frum said of Breitbart. "When one of the leading media figures of the day achieves his success by his giddy disdain for truth and fairness—when one of our leading political figures offers to his admirers a politics inflamed by rage and devoid of ideas—how to withhold a profoundly negative judgment on his life and career?"

Breitbart's death from an apparent heart attack occurred less than three weeks after his bizarre behavior at an Occupy Wall Street rally outside the annual meeting of the Conservative Political Action Conference in Washington, D.C. An unsteady Breitbart drew the attention of police after he repeatedly shouted "behave yourself" and "stop raping people" at the youthful nonviolent protesters, which he denigrated "freaks and animals."

Breitbart's body has been autopsied, but it will be several weeks before all the tests are completed and an official cause of death is released to the public.
His father-in-law, actor Orson Bean, told the Los Angeles Times that "it looks like a heart attack."

Breitbart is survived by his wife Susannah, four children, his parents and a sister.

Breitbart used the Internet to ignite political scandal and exploit mainstream media conventions, and did not shy away from misleading, exaggerating and engaging in sins of omission to accomplish those dubious goals.

It was Breitbart's fertile partnership with the unprincipled O'Keefe that yielded his most spectacular successes and failures. Together, they succeeded in destroying the 40-year-old Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now (ACORN), which was devoted to the poor and faltering middle class. ACORN closed its doors in 2010.

More than 300 people lost their jobs when federal agencies pulled their grants from ACORN in the wake of the smear-job Breitbart and O'Keefe orchestrated against it in 2009. The worthy social justice organization had fought against predatory lending, lobbied for a living wage, and championed the needs of Gulf residents left homeless by Hurricane Katrina. However, it was ultimately targeted for conducting voter registration campaigns in poor and lower middle-class communities.

O'Keefe secretly taped meetings with ACORN employees in eight cities in the summer of 2009 while posing as a needy individual seeking assistance with a number of unsavory ventures. The discussions he initiated ranged from the sexual exploitation of a girlfriend, played by fellow conservative provocateur Hannah Giles, to tax evasion and the smuggling of illegal immigrants. He intertwined their responses with questions recorded elsewhere to create a misleading storyline.

The edits presented him in the garb of an inner-city pimp in one outlandish video (below left), which went viral after Breitbart distributed it. However, many viewers of the clip never noticed that the fake pimp didn't appear in the same frames as the low-level ACORN workers he was supposed to be duping.

Subsequent investigations by the Massachusetts Attorney General, Brooklyn District Attorney, California Attorney General and U.S. General Accounting Office all determined that the videos had been heavily edited and no criminal misconduct had actually occurred on the part of the ACORN workers. Several rebuffed O'Keefe and Giles. Two advised Giles to seek legal help and a third reported O'Keefe's phantom immigration scam to Mexican police.

"Andrew Breitbart was a media warrior," O'Keefe said on his Project Veritas website, which served to insulate Breitbart legally from his wealthy protégé's misadventures. "I woke up this morning saddened by the loss and lonely without his presence; he had long been a source of comfort and advice for me."

O'Keefe was permanently discredited in the eyes of the news media when he was arrested in New Orleans in January 2010 while trying to gain access to the telephone system of U.S. Sen. Mary Landrieu's by posing as a repairman. He and three fellow activists pleaded guilty to one misdemenanor charge of malicious intent to damage the phone system on May 2010. O'Keefe was sentenced to three years of probation for the failed bid to make surreptitious recordings.

Breibart's biggest triumph occurred independently of O'Keefe, when he secured salacious photos then U.S. Rep. Anthony Weiner (D-N.Y.) had sent to a woman shortly after his marriage to Huma Abedin, a longtime aide to Hillary Clinton. Weiner's new wife was pregnant at the time of the resulting sexting scandal, which led to the viral release of a photo of a bare-chested Weiner and a picture of his tented boxer briefs (right).

In true elitist Liberal fashion, Weiner was promptly abandoned by his closest allies and forced to resign even though there was no evidence he had committed adultery. He admitted exchanging suggestive photos and texts with six women over three years and stepped down.

Breitbart's professional nadir occurred in 2010 when he tarred Shirley Sherrodd with a heavily edited video of a speech she gave to a Georgia gathering. The excerpt he sent spiraling through the blogosphere implied that the U.S. Agriculture Department official, who is black, had boasted of referring a white farmer to a lawyer of his own kind early in her career. The full speech actually was a lesson in racial healing, in which Sherrod explained why farmers of all races faced common challenges dictated more by poverty than race.

Sherrod (below right) was pilloried by conservative propagandists, who demanded her resignation. The conservative uproar was echoed by competing mainstream media, prompting public criticism of her by the head of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People and the head of The U.S. Department of Agriculture, and internal calls for her resignation.

Sherrod ultimately bowed to the rush to judgment and submitted her resignation. She later received an apology from President Barack Obama and was offered a new job at USDA after the full clip was released and the white farmer in question rushed to her defense, crediting her with saving his family farm.

"My prayers go out to Mr. Breitbart's family as they cope during this very difficult time," Sherrod said Thursday.

Breitbart's death came as he confronted a federal defamation lawsuit Sherrod filed against him in February of 2011. The suit had survived a motion to dismiss it and was moving forward.

Breitbart had little patience, delicacy or respect for those who held political views other than his own. He also loved to bait journalists seeking political balance in the hyper-partisan environment his discredited tactics helped spawn.

Breitbart reached a personal low when he described former Sen. Ted Kennedy (D-Mass.) as a "villain," a "duplicitous bastard," a "prick," and a "special pile of human excrement" after the icon of the Kennedy family's death in 2009.

According to AP reporter Michael Blood, Breitbart once told reporters in the contracting news industry "it's not your business model that sucks, it's you that sucks."

U.S. newsrooms have shrunk from 54,000 positions to 41,000 since 1990, even as colleges and universities have handed out 872,000 undergraduate and graduate degrees in communications and journalism. Breitbart, who received a degree in American studies from Tulane University, had little respect for traditional journalists.

Ultimately, Breitbart was a journalist of convenience. He wrapped himself in the benefits of the news industry's reputation for credibility, courage and balance, without shouldering the ethical burdens that helped to build it.

ACORN-founder Wade Rathke compared Breitbart to circus tycoon P.T. Barnum, who is credited with coining the phrase "there's a sucker born every minute."

"Truth or fiction hardly mattered as long as it drove traffic to his websites, dollars to his pockets, and stirred up a mess, which then drove more traffic," Rathke said on his blog. "That was his business and that was all he really cared about… He built nothing, since hate, lies, and innuendo were the tools he wielded and they were only useful in trying to destroy."

LWW
03-03-2012, 03:53 AM
Showing your true colors again I see?

DiabloViejo
03-03-2012, 01:01 PM
Yep, and proud of it! I am filthy liberal leftist scum and damned proud of it. Got a problem with that? Feel free to tell me what a terrible person I am anytime you care to. I will wear your remarks as a badge of pride. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Stretch
03-03-2012, 02:45 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DiabloViejo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yep, and proud of it! I am filthy liberal leftist scum and damned proud of it. Got a problem with that? Feel free to tell me what a terrible person I am anytime you care to. I will wear your remarks as a badge of pride. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif </div></div>

His moronic mind needs to label those not of his species. St.

DiabloViejo
03-03-2012, 02:57 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stretch</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DiabloViejo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yep, and proud of it! I am filthy liberal leftist scum and damned proud of it. Got a problem with that? Feel free to tell me what a terrible person I am anytime you care to. I will wear your remarks as a badge of pride. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif </div></div>

His moronic mind needs to label those not of his species. St.</div></div>

LOL, yes and he really needs to get a thesaurus so he can freshen up his typical canned responses! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Sev
03-03-2012, 04:16 PM
Do his children deserve the loss of their father?

DiabloViejo
03-03-2012, 04:40 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do his children deserve the loss of their father? </div></div>

While I feel bad for his children, I am not going to shed any tears for Breitbart. As far as I'm concerned America is far better off with that reactionary fascist p.o.s. dead.

BTW, since you want to play the game..did Osama Bin Laden's kids deserve the loss of their dear daddy?

Sev
03-03-2012, 07:56 PM
Osama earned his fate. His children became collateral damage because of his actions. That responsibility is his alone.
Actions have consequences.

To compare Breitbart to Bin Laden is not a logical leap.

eg8r
03-03-2012, 08:37 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">While I feel bad for his children,</div></div>Oh BS, you don't care about anyone but yourself. Give it a rest pops. If you really cared you would have posted respectfully like sofla did. Your post shows us the garbage you truly are towards those with a different viewpoint than yours.

eg8r

DiabloViejo
03-03-2012, 09:28 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">While I feel bad for his children,</div></div>Oh BS, you don't care about anyone but yourself. Give it a rest pops. If you really cared you would have posted respectfully like sofla did. Your post shows us the garbage you truly are towards those with a different viewpoint than yours.

eg8r </div></div>

Squirm baby, squirm! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Soflasnapper
03-04-2012, 09:58 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do his children deserve the loss of their father? </div></div>

By rumor and conjecture based upon Breitbart's appearance in that last months, likely the guy was coked up. It's tragic when drug abuse robs a family of the father, but that ends up on the father's judgment to do those drugs, and/or failure to seek rehab to get off of them.

If the post-mortem shows truly natural causes not brought on by drug use or associated with drug use, I will apologize for piling onto this conjecture. But that looks like the truth at this point.

eg8r
03-04-2012, 05:23 PM
No squirming here pops. I enjoy pointing out your lies.

eg8r

DiabloViejo
03-04-2012, 07:08 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No squirming here pops. I enjoy pointing out your lies.

eg8r </div></div>

Son, you are a real super-hero!! And that's no lie. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

http://i56.tinypic.com/2czueew.jpg

LWW
03-05-2012, 06:44 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DiabloViejo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No squirming here pops. I enjoy pointing out your lies.

eg8r </div></div>

Son, you are a real super-hero!! And that's no lie. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

http://i56.tinypic.com/2czueew.jpg </div></div>

You might want to read THIS (http://online.sfsu.edu/~rone/Buddhism/footsteps.htm).

DiabloViejo
03-05-2012, 02:38 PM
Thank you, and blessings upon you. BTW, in appreciation of your concern over my spirituality, I offer you this...

New Testament (Catholic Version) (http://www.catholic.org/bible/new_testament.php)

Doesn't sound anything like Republican Jesus:
http://addictinginfo.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/republican-jesus-248x300.gif
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Mh1TZAM-AWU/SgOLeFQFOJI/AAAAAAAACN0/KnC7E7C7Dko/s400/repjesusDijon.png
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_0YTZJpJ8Jp8/Sswdaor4T3I/AAAAAAAAFzw/2_LSZhn4MX8/s400/Republican_Jesus.jpg