PDA

View Full Version : Height;; really tall, help

JJFSTAR
03-05-2012, 12:58 PM
So I have this new student and he is really tall like 6.5 or 6.6 something like that I forgot what he said exactly. Pool cues really arenít long enough for him; suggestions please. This kid really (I donít think) has 1 or 2k to spend on someone making him a cue. If he did that would be easy. Any and all advice appreciated even tips on pitfalls, nuances and natural things he might do better or worse as far as teaching him goes are also welcome.

Soflasnapper
03-05-2012, 05:46 PM
I've seen some cues that are 4-5" longer than typical, and maybe that would be a sufficient length. Not especially custom, either. If he needs more than that, probably would need a custom longer one made (cf: Earl's javelin-sized cue!).

As for playing, I think he ought to be shown some tapes of taller pro players who really get down on the shot for best shot making. Sean Putnam comes to mind, maybe Jeremy Jones.

Bambu
03-06-2012, 08:18 AM
I agree, a long stick might serve him well. Though I must say, I have seen tall players adapt well somehow....just by holding the end of the butt. Other than that, make sure he spreads his legs wide. That way he can get a little lower without taxing his back so much.

Rich R.
03-06-2012, 08:29 AM
A lot of tall players do just fine with a standard 58" cue. Some have custom cues made at about 60". It doesn't seem to be a big deal for most. If you get much longer than 60" you run the risk of not being able to fit it in a case.

If your student can squeeze a few hundred out of his budget, I'm sure he can find a reputable cue maker who can make him a very plain cue to fit his needs. He doesn't have to spend $1000 or more.

cushioncrawler
03-06-2012, 03:39 PM
I reckon that $1.50 per oz iz a fair price, plus postage.
I wouldnt pay more than $2 per oz for a cue. U kood be ripped off bigtime.
Alltho if u hav one in your hands and u really really like it, then $3 per oz iz ok koz at least u save on the postage and kan pay cash.

U kan bid on a bundle of 12 cues on ebay -- that what i would do.
But the good'old'days when u kood pick up a good cue for $1 an oz hav gone now.
mac.

Soflasnapper
03-06-2012, 05:19 PM
<s>Sean</s> I mean, SHAWN Putnam comes to mind.

Sorry Shawn!

Fenwick
03-07-2012, 08:35 AM
McDermott makes a 60" cue for a fair price.

DuaelFuel
03-09-2012, 04:09 PM
Elite makes a 62" "Big and Tall Sneaky Pete" about $140

DuaelFuel
03-09-2012, 04:13 PM
Also,you can order a Schmelke from 59" to 65" for an extra 20-30 bucks.

Tony_in_MD
03-11-2012, 08:53 PM
Find a production cue that has a screw-on butt extension option. Use the extension when he plays to accommodate his wingspan, and then take it off so he can store the cue in its case.

Or a qualified quemaker or repair-man could be able to retrofit the players current cue to work with a screw on butt extension.

DickLeonard
03-21-2012, 10:47 AM
JJFSTAR I have a friend with a custom made Rambow with extra long Shafts. The cue didn't cost more than thirty-five dollars fifty years ago.

Herman was working for Keefe and Hammer then. Dick

Stretch
03-21-2012, 11:27 AM
I used to think i needed a longer cue being 6'5". Instead i adapted a more compact (and acurate) stroke. Most shots only require a 2 to 4 inch drawback, 6 inches for power shots. A 58" cue is more than adequate to handle this, even for a tall man. St.

DickLeonard
03-22-2012, 09:23 AM
Stretch nice to see your still posting. That cue shaft had a lot of Whip to it. When you watch snooker players they grab the cue on the very end. They have a cue extender that slips over the cue. Their ball field is 12ft long.Dick

Sid_Vicious
03-23-2012, 08:05 PM
All this talk made me thing about shooting with my jumper on a finish after hitting a jump. Yes, shortness or tallness as the matter goes here isn't the end all. You'd be surprised at the proficiency you can gain with a 40" JC with a little practice, including english and other stuff. Sooo, I can easily understand why the giants can grip at the tail end of a standard cue. I still think I'd have to give myself the chance to at least try a 62+" cue if I was really tall though. How will you know unless you try? sid

SpiderMan
04-02-2012, 01:58 PM
I used to think I needed a longer cue also, due to my 37" sleeve. But I find that a standard cue works just fine.

If he gets a longer cue custom-made, I'd recommend just adding a couple of inches to the shaft. This makes it easy and inexpensive to turn it back into a standard cue if desired.

I recently had a 60" Mike Erwin custom-built, with two shafts. Wasted a lot of money, as I never used it because it felt too different from the cue I'd been using for the past 10 years.

SpiderMan