View Full Version : here's a good one!

Qtec
03-08-2012, 08:10 PM
How about banning divorce?

Till death to us part!

Q

cushioncrawler
03-08-2012, 08:46 PM
One way of banning divorce iz to make divorce kompulsory every say 7 years.
That way u would havta officially remarry if u wanted to stay marryd to the same partner. Otherwize the marriage would be ended.
U kood liv together az partner and partner but not az partner and wife or husband unless u officially remarryd.

A second way of banning divorce iz my preferred way -- by banning marryage.
mac.

Soflasnapper
03-09-2012, 09:27 AM
Nothing weakened the institution of marriage like no-fault divorce.

Divorce was illegal in Ireland until maybe the '80s, under the influence of the HRCC, natch.

eg8r
03-09-2012, 09:52 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nothing weakened the institution of marriage like no-fault divorce.
</div></div>Yep, and as more more states start allowing gay marriage more and more lawyers rejoice at more and more opportunities for a quick $500.

eg8r

DiabloViejo
03-09-2012, 12:02 PM
And how does this affect you personally?

eg8r
03-09-2012, 12:46 PM
And where did I say that it does or does not? Don't start changing the subject because you lack an intelligent response.

eg8r

Soflasnapper
03-09-2012, 03:12 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nothing weakened the institution of marriage like no-fault divorce.
</div></div>Yep, and as more more states start allowing gay marriage more and more lawyers rejoice at more and more opportunities for a quick $500.

eg8r </div></div>

Yes, that's at least one good reason to oppose gay marriage. Because it leads to gay divorce, and all its attendant bitterness, etc. Making it instead a civil union with all marriage-like legal rights, but dissolvable with no such rancor, would better serve that population.

LWW
03-10-2012, 04:15 AM
If gay marriage is outlawed, only outlaws will marry gays.

cushioncrawler
03-10-2012, 04:25 AM
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x294/racheal0215/myowner.jpg

cushioncrawler
03-10-2012, 04:28 AM
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk66/allshous/man-with-woman-costume-8-2-2008-8-3.jpg

Soflasnapper
03-10-2012, 10:23 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If gay marriage is outlawed, only outlaws will marry gays. </div></div>

I like that one!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

eg8r
03-10-2012, 03:53 PM
I personally have no problem with the idea of a civil union. I just don't want the term marriage tied to it.

eg8r

Qtec
03-11-2012, 05:07 AM
A married couple work at a Catholic Hospital. They get a divorce. The Catholic Church is against divorce.

Should they be allowed to fire them both on religious grounds?

A married couple work at a Catholic Hospital. They use contraception.
The Catholic Church is against contraception.<span style='font-size: 20pt'> By paying them a salary, they are also paying for any contraception they may buy!

Should they be allowed to fire them both on religious grounds?</span>

Q

eg8r
03-11-2012, 09:43 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Should they be allowed to fire them both on religious grounds?
</div></div>Is it against the law to fire someone on "religious grounds", I don't think so. Your second question is not per law either so I don't think so once again.

eg8r

Qtec
03-12-2012, 02:22 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is it against the law to fire someone on "religious grounds", I don't think so. </div></div>

I agree, but what if they didn't fire them. What if they just refused to pay them any money because 'it might be used to buy contraception 'which is against their religious beliefs'?

Q

eg8r
03-12-2012, 08:45 AM
That would be against the law which is also contrary to their religious beliefs.

eg8r

Soflasnapper
03-12-2012, 10:09 AM
Almost. It would be a violation of wage and labor laws, actually. Regardless of religious reasons.

eg8r
03-12-2012, 01:36 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Almost. It would be a violation of wage and labor laws, actually. Regardless of religious reasons. </div></div>First you say "almost" and then go on to say I was exactly correct. I said it was against the law, plain and simple. The need for you to add "wage and labor" does not make my statement any less true. It is also absolutely against their religion because that would mean they are willfully breaking the law which goes against the Bible's teaching to respect authority.

eg8r

Soflasnapper
03-12-2012, 03:12 PM
Close enough, agreed.

DiabloViejo
03-12-2012, 03:46 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>Is it against the law to fire someone on "religious grounds", I don't think so.

eg8r [/quote]

In answer to the above:

Federal law makes it illegal for most employers to fire an employee because of the employee's race, gender, national origin, disability, <u>religion</u>, genetic information, or age (if the person is at least 40 years old). Federal law also prohibits most employers from firing someone because that person is pregnant or has a medical condition related to pregnancy or childbirth.

For religious organizations there is an exception for “religious organizations.” The legal system is very protective of church autonomy and generally does not interfere with church hiring and firing practices. Federal law exempts churches and allows them to consider an applicant’s religious beliefs in hiring for all positions. And under most state laws, religious nonprofit organizations are entirely exempt from these regulations.

cushioncrawler
03-12-2012, 04:21 PM
".....It is also absolutely against their religion because that would mean they are willfully breaking the law which goes against the Bible's teaching to respect authority......"

Authority:

denotes "authority" (from the impersonal verb exesti, "it is lawful"). From the meaning of "leave or permission," or liberty of doing as one pleases, it passed to that of "the ability or strength with which one is endued," then to that of the "power of authority," the right to exercise power, e.g., Mat 9:6; 21:23; 2Cr 10:8; or "the power of rule or government," the power of one whose will and commands must be obeyed by others, e.g., Mat 28:18; Jhn 17:2; Jud 1:25; Rev 12:10; 17:13; more specifically of apostolic "authority," 2Cr 10:8; 13:10; the "power" of judicial decision, Jhn 19:10; of "managing domestic affairs," Mar 13:34. By metonymy, or name-change (the substitution of a suggestive word for the name of the thing meant), it stands for "that which is subject to authority or rule," Luk 4:6 (RV, "authority," for the AV "power"); or, as with the English "authority," "one who possesses authority, a ruler, magistrate," Rom 13:1-3; Luk 12:11; Tts 3:1; or "a spiritual potentate," e.g., Eph 3:10; 6:12; Col 1:16; 2:10, 15; 1Pe 3:22. The RV usually translates it "authority."
In 1Cr 11:10 it is used of the veil with which a woman is required to cover herself in an assembly or church, as a sign of the Lord's "authority" over the church.
See JURISDICTION, LIBERTY, POWER, RIGHT, STRENGTH.

A-2 Noun Strong's Number: g2003 Greek: epitage
Authority:

an injunction (from epi, "upon," tasso, "to order"), is once rendered "authority," Tts 2:15 (RV, marg., "commandment").
See COMMANDMENT.
Note: The corresponding verb is epitasso, "to command."
See COMMAND.

A-3 Noun Strong's Number: g5247 Greek: huperoche
Authority:

primarily, "a projection, eminence," as a mountain peak, hence, metaphorically, "pre-eminence, superiority, excellency," is once rendered "authority," 1Ti 2:2, AV (marg., "eminent place"), RV, "high place," of the position of magistrates; in 1Cr 2:1, "excellency" (of speech). Cp. huperecho, "to surpass."
See EXCELLENCY.
A-4 Noun Strong's Number: g1413 Greek: dunastes
Authority:

akin to dunamis, "power," (Eng., "dynasty,") signifies "a potentate, a high officer;" in Act 8:27, of a high officer, it is rendered "of great authority;" in Luk 1:52, RV, "princes, (AV, "the mighty"); in 1Ti 6:15 it is said of God ("Potentate").
See MIGHTY, POTENTATE.
B-1 Verb Strong's Number: g1850 Greek: exousiazo
Authority:

akin to A, No. 1, signifies "to exercise power," Luk 22:25; 1Cr 6:12; 7:4 (twice).
See POWER.
B-2 Verb Strong's Number: g2715 Greek: katexousiazo
Authority:

kata, "down," intensive, and No. 1, "to exercise authority upon," is used in Mat 20:25; Mar 10:42.
B-3 Verb Strong's Number: g831 Greek: authenteo
Authority:

from autos, "self," and a lost noun hentes, probably signifying working (Eng., "authentic"), "to execise authority on one's own account, to domineer over," is used in 1Ti 2:12, AV, "to usurp authority," RV, "to have dominion." In the earlier usage of the word it signified one who with his own hand killed either others or himself. Later it came to denote one who acts on his own "authority;" hence, "to exercise authority, dominion."
See DOMINION, Note.

Return to Top
Cite This Page:

Vine, W. E. "Authority", Vine's Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words. Blue Letter Bible. 1940. 24 June, 1996 12 Mar 2012.
&lt;http://www.blueletterbible.org/search/Dictionary/viewTopic.cfm?
type=GetTopic&Topic=Authority&DictList=9#Vine's&gt;
Some or all materials on this page are copyright, and may not be used without the permission of the copyright holder, or under other provisions of the copyright law.

Qtec
03-13-2012, 08:50 AM
How can newt convert to Catholicism after him being divorced twice?

Q