PDA

View Full Version : Rush's NY show ran dead air for minutes...

Soflasnapper
03-09-2012, 05:42 PM
Interesting. During some commercial segments at the NY ABC affiliate that Rush runs on, there were a) free PSA kinds of ads, b) one ad from someone who's announced they are withdrawing their ads, and c) a 2-1/2 stretch of dead air in the middle of the commercial break.

Good thing the advertiser boycott isn't hurting Rush very much, eh? (He's probably guaranteed his money, so it will hurt his syndicator and the network, Clear Channel and Premier Radio. Who are owned now by Bain Capital, btw. (At least one, perhaps both.)

Soflasnapper
03-09-2012, 06:24 PM
From Americablog (http://www.americablog.com/2012/03/limbaugh-show-twice-airs-dead-air-time.html)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style='font-size: 14pt'>Limbaugh show twice airs dead air time this afternoon in lieu of ads</span>
By John Aravosis on 3/08/2012 03:12:00 PM

I noted earlier today that 56% of Rush Limbaugh's ads during his radio show yesterday were unpaid free public service announcements. The day before he didn't run any free PSAs. Today, following the news that the American Heart Association pulled its PSA from Limbaugh's show, the broadcast aired dead air two different times during today's show when there should have been advertisements - one was for a minute, and the second for two minutes and 40 seconds. From Media Matters:

Rush Limbaugh closed the first hour of his radio show on his flagship station, WABC, with 1:03 of dead air Monday.

While advertisers have fled Limbaugh's show since his misogynistic attacks on Sandra Fluke, the first hour of every show since those attacks aired on March 1 has concluded with at least one ad leading into an ABC News break at the top of the second hour.

Similarly, during the commercial break that led into the show, there was 2:38 of dead air.

</div></div>

You can hear the dead air clips in context at the link

llotter
03-09-2012, 08:57 PM
There will be replacements, no doubt, since the vast majority do not identify with sluts that testify in favor of doing away with the 1st Amendment.

DiabloViejo
03-10-2012, 02:42 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: llotter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There will be replacements, no doubt, since the vast majority do not identify with sluts that testify in favor of doing away with the 1st Amendment. </div></div>

Any way you slice it he's lost 45 major advertisers and more to follow. Seems someone forgot that women affect 90% of the purchasing decisions in America. No matter what, his network is hurting financially and that's a fact Jack!

cushioncrawler
03-10-2012, 04:13 AM
Delta smelta watching this with interest.
mac.
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u150/waldo_complex/2%20-%20Chicago/P4190210.jpg

LWW
03-10-2012, 04:16 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Interesting. During some commercial segments at the NY ABC affiliate that Rush runs on, there were a) free PSA kinds of ads, b) one ad from someone who's announced they are withdrawing their ads, and c) a 2-1/2 stretch of dead air in the middle of the commercial break.

Good thing the advertiser boycott isn't hurting Rush very much, eh? (He's probably guaranteed his money, so it will hurt his syndicator and the network, Clear Channel and Premier Radio. Who are owned now by Bain Capital, btw. (At least one, perhaps both.) </div></div>

Do you have any clue how radio advertising works?

Obviously not.

Soflasnapper
03-10-2012, 10:21 AM
Do you have any clue how radio advertising works?

Obviously not.

Riiiiiight. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif Just because I buy $2 million a year in radio advertising across a dozen stations in three counties, how would I know anything about radio advertising or how it works?

I presume you meant to reference that some ads are sold by the local station to local advertisers, whereas some are sold by Premier Radio on a national basis. Perhaps you wanted to make the additional point that this dead air was a function of the local station failure to sell what spots they had assigned to them across the course of Rush's programs those days.

1, you cannot prove that on this evidence alone. If the same dead air appeared in different markets at the same time, it might be the national buys that weren't accomplished, rather than local buyers refusing to advertise.

2, it doesn't much matter, as it is the same phenomena whether from national buyers or local buyers, which is to say, pressure-driven boycotts of advertisers.

pooltchr
03-10-2012, 09:17 PM
I used to work in broadcasting, and I can tell you that if there were no advertisers booked for the national slots, they would have either filled them, or just reduced the time set aside. I could run a 15 minute segment with 4 minutes of spot time, and the next one with 3 minutes. It just meant an extra minute for regular programming. No broadcaster in his right mind is going to put out 2 minutes of dead air...it loses listeners. If it was time blocked for Rush's show, Rush would have had more time to talk.

Steve

Soflasnapper
03-11-2012, 12:10 PM
I agree that what you said would be the norm, generally.

However, clearly that didn't happen in these several dead-air situations with WABC.

What could be the explanation for it, in your view, considering how this should be handled as a general matter?

Surely WABC isn't simply sabotaging his show and losing money and listeners with the dead air, or do you think that is the actual explanation? If not, then what?

pooltchr
03-11-2012, 02:24 PM
I honestly don't know what happened. Posssibilities include the network opening up time for local inserts that didn't make it, technical malfunctions, human error, missed communications...any number of possibilities. But I know that no radio station, nor network program is going to allow that much dead air on purpose. Dead air is the absolute worst thing any broadcaster wants to (not) hear. They would fill it with a test of the emergency notification system before they would let that air time go unused. Something went wrong...it was not planned...of that you can be very sure.
Steve

Soflasnapper
03-11-2012, 05:28 PM
As George HW Bush reminded him, Dan Rather at one time did leave the air, allowing dead air time, and deliberately so, shockingly enough. (Bush was asking him how he'd like to have his whole career judged by that one bad action.)

But obviously that is indeed a rarely seen occurrence.