PDA

View Full Version : Like To Gamble Versus Trying To Win Every Time?

TomBrooklyn
09-28-2002, 09:09 PM
For the players that like to play for money and have to give a spot to a weaker player, how many will only play if they're pretty darn sure they will win, versus those willing to make the game as close to 50/50 as they can just because they prefer to play with something on the line? =TB

NH_Steve
09-29-2002, 03:40 PM
Tom, silence is a powerful statement, isn't it? i.e., nobody wants to admit that they're "trying to win every time"! If i had just a dime for every time I've gone in to a pool room & found players, and seen (or got) NO GAME -- just intermidable arguing over the handicaps, the money, or the game, I'd be a wealthy man!!! It always amazes me how many pool players don't seem to actually like to play -- it certainly appears that they're only in it for the money!

09-29-2002, 03:54 PM
Hi Tom,

Where I play, it is mostly a group of regulars and we all know each others level of play. Several of us like to play for money just so we don't get lazy and start banging balls around. It changes the whole mindset of the game.

Quite often, if 4 of more of us show up to play, we will throw together a little double-elimination tourn. We put $10 in the pot and pay two positions. Even guys that are not normally money players will often get into the action.

As for winning vs. losing, obviously winning is best. But I am most concerned about my level of play. I would always opt to play well and lose rather than to slop in a few 9-balls and win.

Just my 2 cents.

09-30-2002, 01:45 PM
I don't think there is a player out there that doesn't try to get the best of a game when matching up. However, sometimes you have to take the worst of it if you want to play. You just have to know when it is ok to take the worst of it - you don't want to take the worst of it when you stand to lose more than you stand to win. Unfortunately, there are those out there that won't put their cue together unless they're stealing. The only way to deal with those people is to treat them the same way - leave them alone unless you can, somehow, lock them up (which is near impossible since it has to be a documented fact that they are stealing before they'll consider playing).