PDA

View Full Version : Rush's boycott spreads across hate radio

Soflasnapper
03-10-2012, 06:59 PM
<span style='font-size: 17pt'>Rush Limbaugh Scandal Proves Contagious for Talk-Radio Advertisers</span>
Mar 10, 2012 12:00 AM EST
Ninety-eight major advertisers—including Ford and Geico—will no longer air spots on Premiere Networks’ ‘offensive’ programs. Insiders say the loss will rock right-wing talk radio.

<span style='font-size: 14pt'>Rush Limbaugh made the right-wing talk-radio industry, and he just might break it.
</span>
Because now the fallout from the “slut” slurs against Sandra Fluke is extending to the entire political shock-jock genre.

<span style='font-size: 14pt'>Premiere Networks, which distributes Limbaugh as well as a host of other right-wing talkers, sent an email out to its affiliates early Friday listing 98 large corporations that have requested their ads appear only on “programs free of content that you know are deemed to be offensive or controversial (for example, Mark Levin, Rush Limbaugh, Tom Leykis, Michael Savage, Glenn Beck, Sean Hannity).”</span>

This is big. According to the radio-industry website Radio-Info.com, which first posted excerpts of the Premiere memo, among the 98 companies that have decided to no longer sponsor these programs are “carmakers (Ford, GM, Toyota), insurance companies (Allstate, Geico, Prudential, State Farm), and restaurants (McDonald’s, Subway).” Together, these talk-radio advertising staples represent millions of dollars in revenue.

Valerie Geller, an industry insider and author of Beyond Powerful Radio, confirmed the trend. “I have talked with several reps who report that they're having conversations with their clients, who are asking not to be associated with specifically polarizing controversial hosts, particularly if those hosts are ‘mean-spirited.’ While most products and services offered on these shows have strong competitors, and enjoy purchasing the exposure that many of these shows and hosts can offer, they do not wish to be ‘tarred’ with the brush of anger, or endure customer anger, or, worse, product boycotts.”

pooltchr
03-10-2012, 09:21 PM
As long as they produce an audience, the advertisers will be there.

Y'all keep on listening. You are only helping them grow.

Steve

eg8r
03-10-2012, 10:05 PM
Isn't it great to see capitalism work? Seriously, people making changes based on their likes or dislikes without needing the Government to come in and tell them what they should deem acceptable.

eg8r

Qtec
03-11-2012, 04:51 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Isn't it great to see capitalism work? Seriously, people making changes based on their likes or dislikes without needing the Government to come in and tell them what they should deem acceptable.

eg8r </div></div>

Capitalism?

Don't think so.More like Democracy at work.

Sure, profit was the bottom line but they only reason they acted was because of public outrage.

Where was Capitalism in action on this buffoon 2 months ago?

You say, its people who now have a voice making that voice heard.
I say its Democracy in action.

The elite have their super-PACS but the people have the boycott.

Q

Soflasnapper
03-11-2012, 11:25 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As long as they produce an audience, the advertisers will be there.

Y'all keep on listening. You are only helping them grow.

Steve </div></div>

Ordinarily, I'd agree with you, and figure these guys were like aircraft carriers taking small arms fire from swarms of tiny Zodiac launches-- impervious, really.

However, these new developments seem far more serious. The same large national prestige advertisers saying take us off of ALL such programs?

That is in the face of declining audiences for all of political talk radio, if I remember correctly. For among other reasons, their audience is old and somewhat dying off (making them not necessarily the right demographic for most products that are not old age related).

Now if Premiere Radio who is the syndicator for a whole stable of these guys finds they cannot make money with this programming, what will Bain Capital do? Just wait out a period of low to no earnings? Or bail out of the company (like a Wayne Huzeinga (sp?) got out of BlockBuster way ahead of the cable and internet streaming competitions' rise, which he saw coming)?

pooltchr
03-11-2012, 02:18 PM
I would be willing to bet that Rush, Mark, and Shawn will all still be going strong next year. It's like NASCAR. When RJReynolds dropped out, Sprint was right there to fill the void. There will be no shortage of sponsors for these guys...their audience is too great.

Soflasnapper
03-11-2012, 05:34 PM
I think the odds are that you're right, but would take the long shot bet as possible, still.

llotter
03-11-2012, 06:39 PM
We managed to get Howard Stern off the air up in Buffalo years ago for his garbage speak through intimidating the station and I guess he is strictly on satellite now. For his decades of demeaning women, I don't think I've ever heard a peep of complaint from the feminazi left or from anyone else from the side.

eg8r
03-11-2012, 10:02 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Capitalism?

</div></div>LOL, you really should leave the thinking to those you quote. You look foolish when you open your mouth.

eg8r

Qtec
03-12-2012, 02:12 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Capitalism?

</div></div>LOL, you really should leave the thinking to those you quote. You look foolish when you open your mouth.

eg8r </div></div>

If you were so smart you would have made an argument against what I said instead of reverting to your usual puerile norm of personal attack.

Q

eg8r
03-12-2012, 08:43 AM
Why should I? You state it wasn't capitalism and then go on to prove why it was. You really should leave the thinking part out of your daily activities. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r

Soflasnapper
03-12-2012, 09:16 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: llotter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We managed to get Howard Stern off the air up in Buffalo years ago for his garbage speak through intimidating the station and I guess he is strictly on satellite now. For his decades of demeaning women, I don't think I've ever heard a peep of complaint from the feminazi left or from anyone else from the side. </div></div>

It doesn't have to be a left/right or woman/man thing as to Stern. All you need to oppose him is good taste, something he has never shown himself to have.

Both Stern and Imus were on NYC radio when I lived there in the early '80s, and I could not understand what anyone heard from either of those multiple-offenders to get enjoyment. Neither were even funny occasionally to make up for their verbal offensiveness.

As for women not complaining, I don't think you've been paying attention. Searching for references to Howard Stern on the NOW website returned 65 hits of bitter complaining, dating back to the '90s at least.

Since it sounds like you approved of getting Stern off the airwaves, using similar intimidation of his advertisers, does that mean you find no issue with the tactic being used against Rush (and only predict it will not work)?

Qtec
03-12-2012, 06:56 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You really should leave the thinking part out of your daily activities. \:\)

eg8r
</div></div>

You mean like you do?

Q /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

DiabloViejo
03-12-2012, 10:00 PM
The woes keep piling on for El Rushbo! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

<span style='font-size: 11pt'><span style="color: #3366FF">BREAKING: Rush Limbaugh Syndicator Suspends National Ads For Two Weeks</span></span>
By Judd Legum on Mar 12, 2012 at 9:24 pm
Think Progress (http://thinkprogress.org/media/2012/03/12/443195/breaking-rush-limbaugh-syndicator-suspends-national-ads-for-two-weeks/)

Radio-Info.com reports that Premiere Networks, which syndicates the Rush Limbaugh show, told its affiliate radio stations that they are suspending national advertising for two weeks . Rush Limbaugh is normally provided to affiliates in exchange for running several minutes of national advertisements provided by Premiere each hour. These ads called “barter spots.” These spots are how Premiere makes its money off of Rush Limbaugh and other shows it syndicates.

But without explanation, Premiere has supended these national advertisements for two weeks. Radio-Info.com calls the move “unusual .” The development suggests that Rush Limbaugh’s incessant sexist attacks on Sandra Fluke have caused severe damage to the show.

<span style="color: #3333FF">From the memo:
Attention Traffic Managers of Premiere News/Talk Affiliates:
We are suspending the requirement to run barter spots for two weeks, March 12th and March 19th, for our News/Talk affiliates only.

Please replace/re-traffic any Premiere barter spots immediately. Contractual requirements to run barter spots are being suspended for these two weeks only. Replace them with Lifelock and Lear Financial or a local spot of your choice.
</span>
Earlier today, ThinkProgress exclusively reported that 140 advertisers, including dozens of major national corporations, had requested their ads no longer air on Rush Limbaugh. Lifelock and Lear Financial are among the only companies standing by Limbaugh.

Over the last several days much of the advertising time during the Rush Limbaugh show on his flagship station, WABC, has been filled with free public service announcements.

cushioncrawler
03-13-2012, 12:30 AM
Suspending a kontraktual requirement to air certain ads duznt mean thems ads wont be aired. They might still be aired.
mac.

eg8r
03-13-2012, 07:42 AM
Well, you are the one that posts all the quotes and lets everyone do the thinking for him. In this thread alone you showed your ignorance.

eg8r

Qtec
03-13-2012, 08:07 AM
Rush has always been a bigoted, foul-mouthed, pill popping hate merchant but sponsors still put their ad's on his show.
Why? Its simple.
He has a large audience so it makes sense if you want to reach a lot of people.

THAT'S Capitalism.

These days, due to the internet, many can make their voice heard in an instant. Its a new world.

If nobody had joined the boycott, would the sponsors have removed their ads?

Q

llotter
03-15-2012, 03:02 AM
In the Stern case, we intimidated the station, not the advertisers but I do think boycotting, voting with your dollars, is a perfectly legitimate and an essential expression of freedom/free markets. The modus operandi of the Left has been to affect change through community organizing and protest so they have been extremely effective through aggressive boycotting and I'm not so supportive of this method as blackmail and threat of violence or actual violence seems also to be part of it.