PDA

View Full Version : Sooooo disappointed

JJFSTAR
03-12-2012, 08:59 AM
So we go up to the Rally in the Valley with this supposed to be “great players in their handicaps” team. Pft! I can not say I performed well on “placement day” but I do know why, simple fatigue; for the 1st time in my life I had to get up at 6:30am and shoot pool at 8. The format was that on day 1 you played a round robin to determine where you would play and what for. So there were 3 “flights” lower 2k, top prize; middle 5k top prize and upper 10k top prize.

So we end up un the middle; the 1st 2 matches I really did shoot badly but it really was that I was about to fall over, I am not used to getting that little sleep and I did tell the captain that I was dead tired. The 3rd match I got some sleep in the car and was ready to go after that. I ripped a 6 a new one 4-1 and the only reason he won that one was because he B & R’ed the opening rack; after that he was the recipient of a safety when he got to the table; never a recipient of a “miss” by me (I guess that’s why I am a 6 now :).

So on day 2 we go to play and I am well rested and RTG and then the team captain starts giving the crazy to our opening player about this damn patch and that pisses him off, so I have to watch our stupid captain piss off our player and our stupid player getting pissed off about a stupid thing like a patch, unbelievable; so he is one of our top players and he looses. 2 grown men acting like 2 12yo boys, unbelievable.

Next round I am up against a 6; I rip him up 4-2 one of those a B & R myself but if he missed with an open table (meaning no clustered balls) I was out; all 1 or 2 inning games.

Next round they put up their 2, let me say our LO who just happens to be our 3 said in the middle of the match “she ain’t no 2”, I have to say “borderline”; so Dawn (our LO) took the score sheet to get flagged (she didn’t tell our captain because he hates that kind of thing; whining about anything) and it wasn’t flagged for a disqualification so I guess there were no problems; I do say she shot awfully well for a 2. I am not screaming “sandbagger”, I am only saying, “eh maybe”.

So we are at 1-2 and we put up one of our 6’es and he wins but he shoots like absolute dog-poo for him; I say to myself WTF over. I mean I could have beat him with my exhausted game the day before but oh well we have 2-2 anyway and we put up our other 6. This guy is a good match for anyone in that room he is simply a better pool player than I, but not on this day; normally a B & R multiple rack runner TODAY MISSES an 8ball about a diamond off the cushion; and about a diamond away from the pocket at about a 30deg cut with the CB 2 diamonds away from the 8!!! Absolutely, completely unbelievable. That wasn’t the final game but it did make it 1-3 instead of 2-2, but OMG the pool gods just decided to give him no power this day.

So this team that is supposed to be the strongest of all within their handicaps in the entire LOCAL1 division of Three Rivers TAP not only doesn’t even place in the top money bracket, but LOOSES the 1st match in the MIDDLE bracket; the only way you can possibly finish outside the money in the middle bracket. Saturday morning was one of the most disappointing pool moments of mine ever, never again am I going to a team tournament unless we win the trip itself and everything is bought and paid for, I say NEVER and I really do mean it.

On the bright side the other 5 and I went and played the scotch doubles mini’s and cleaned up all over the place we won all 4 that we played, we split the money for the 1st one (and we shouldn’t have in retrospect). I mean we crushed everyone and we played some absolutely beautiful pool, the people at the desk were making some funny jokes about us after we came back for our 3rd and when we came back from our 4th for the prize money the guy at the desk said “Yea I saw you coming up so I just got the $200 out; here ya go”

So I won enough (or fairly close to) money to pay for the trip but it is a very small consolation prize for one of the most heart wrenching moments of my entire pool playing years; it simply wasn’t really worth it.

When you put a team together from 4 different teams to make what should be one of the strongest teams there and you finish at the absolute bottom, meaning $0 and not even QUALIFYING for the big $’s I am not just a little disappointed; I am a lot disappointed and even a little embarrassed, I mean really I am just nauseated even thinking about it. Enough so that I say this; I am from here on out never going to “buy my way there” regardless of how strong the whole team is supposed to be. From now on if I am going to do a major excursion; I am gong to win my way there, period.

Eric.
03-12-2012, 02:57 PM
Welcome to the bigger pond.

I'm not sure if you remember, but in past conversations, we discussed the bigger pond of poolplayers vs. your local area. It sounds like you guys got a reality check. The reason why you guys qualified for the lower tier bracket was cuz you couldn't get enough wins to make it to the Elite bracket, in the round robin stage. According to your roster, you went 2-2 (playing as a 5!)and only one player (not you) had a winning record. "The best players from your area" just aren't that competitive, nationally. Now, do you believe us when we tell you that you are over rating yourself and your local area?

Eric

Tony_in_MD
03-12-2012, 04:34 PM
JJ, I cannot believe that you all are not use to playing pool @ 8:00 in the morning. This is common practice for our TAP divisions title holders tourneys on Saturdays. The day starts at 8:00 and some of us (like me) have to drive 2 hours to get there first.

JJFSTAR
03-13-2012, 08:41 AM
Eric when did I ever say I was some kind of great pool player or that this was a really great pool playing area? The answer is never and I challenge you to find such a statement by me; I mostly talk about my weaknesses and I have many of them. I did in the mini’s shoot fish in a barrel in this “big pond” for a total of 4 mini tournaments. My partner and I went a total of 11 rounds (we didn’t play all 12 because we just decided to split the $ with our first folks, that was actually a mistake) in our 11 rounds we lost a total of 4 games so no matter how you slice it that is a 90% + winning percentage. I am in full realization that that is against 5’s and that isn’t saying a whole lot; and now quite frankly they are not really that much of a challenge for me. That’s why I am now a 6.

All I have ever said is that I am getting better and that’s what I play pool for, to get better it certainly isn’t to feed my own ego; if it were I would have stopped playing a long time ago; considering how badly this game tends to bruise mine. Yes I went 2-2 playing as a 5 did you miss the part about when I lost the 1st 2 that I was about to fall over from lack of sleep? And when I got some sleep I beat the 2 6’es I played decisively? Not because of my handicap but because I won more games against them than they won against me?

Great pool player? Me? No no no no you quite misunderstand me there guy, getting better? Yup I sure am and part of that is the wonderful folks on this board. Our disappointing loss is as much due to circumstance as it was to lack of talent and ability, and that is what makes it so tough to swallow.

Tony; this last season we won the title holders tourney (spilt with the other team, see my post WE WON) it was held on Saturday & Sunday at breakers doors opened at 11:00am tournament at 12:00noon. So no I don’t have that kind of experience. It didn’t bother others nearly as much as it did me.

Also to all I actually shot quite well with the exception of day 1 1st 2 matches and that is solely because my physical condition was that of a zombie, had I not been in the condition of a zombie I might not have won (because the 2nd guy I played did have 2 b & r’s that’s half the match right there), but I most definitely would have shot much much better.

Another example is that there was a 7 I was playing after the mini’s were all done; I was waiting for our captain to finish his singles, I did not know he was a 7 until after we were done shooting, I just asked if he wanted to play because I had to give up my table for a match. I beat this guy the 1st 4 games and then we traded the next 10 or so. So I shot well for most of the time I was there.

But to loose because of a babyish argument and a tank under pressure by one of our best players is just absolutely horrible. I am not nearly as angry as I am enlightened, yes Eric I am enlightened, but I don’t need to be told by you “see you suck” I know I suck; that’s why I am on this board; it is because I am making an effort to suck less.

Eric.
03-13-2012, 11:04 AM
Sorry to bruise your ego, apparently I touched a nerve.

It's not taht you "said you were a great player". If anything, I was referring back to past posts about ratings/level of play when you were asking for feedback but seemed to strongly disagree with the opinions of your level of play.

Well, you can go back to your local area and keep beating up on those 3's and 4's to maintain your artificial "6" rating.

Eric

JJFSTAR
03-13-2012, 12:07 PM
For the record my captain usually plays me against 5’s or 6’s. This season I have played 1 3 and 1 4 the other 5 matches have been against 5’s or 6’s. Here is another thing if my handicap is “artificial” how is it that I was able to decisively beat 2 6’s in this “big pond” of yours; how in this “big pond” was I able to take 2 6’s out with a record of 8-3 against them?

The main reason for a handicap isn’t your win/loss ratio it is mainly your completion/miss ratio with influences of MOB, DEF etc.. factored into the equation. Lastly who the heck would want their handicap to be artificially high? Does that make any sense to you whatsoever? If it does then you need your head examined.

I have no ego to bruise; pool for me has done that quite effectively; it has taken a long time and a lot of work to get my game to where it is today, I have seen so many other players that it comes so much more naturally to that I can’t even count them on my fingers & toes. What I lack in talent I have to a large extent made up for in hard work, ongoing study and sheer determination. I am closer than ever to playing the best pool that my natural ability will allow given the time and resources I have to devote to it.

Your insults do not offend me Eric; nor did you “strike a nerve” it takes a lot more than written words on a bb to do that; but consider this, when you sneer at people who are doing the best they can to improve you are making yourself a poor representative for the sport. You guys have no idea how badly you damage the sport all of us here love, so you can be as arrogant as you want, scoff at all the players you want but in terms of helping this sport thrive you are doing less than nothing, in fact it is this very attitude that keeps people in the dark about its validity. That keeps more sponsors away from it so it is more known for its “seedy side” than it is known for its artistic merit.

That just means fewer tournaments, less prize money and keeps pool from being what it really could be. Congratulations you are the 1,000,000th good pool player not to see how your negative attitude toward others shoots yourself right in the foot.

Eric.
03-13-2012, 12:15 PM
Umm, oookay, Johnny.

Eric

JJFSTAR
03-13-2012, 12:26 PM
Exactly my point; keep going you prove my point more conclusively with every keystroke you take.

Eric.
03-13-2012, 12:32 PM
Johnny, i guess it's true, the old joke about "De Nile".

Eric

JJFSTAR
03-13-2012, 12:54 PM
Ha ha De Nile that’s so funny ha ha; I only wish I was as clever as you are; yea I am still laughing. But I have to compliment you; you have successfully completely circumvented the entire issue, perhaps you should give up pool and go into politics and make some really big money. Did you ever consider that?

Eric.
03-13-2012, 01:34 PM
Johnny,

My original point(s) were:

from earlier posts, we tried to give you feedback (taht you asked for) about your shooting. You have a cocky arrogance about you and you scoffed at certain things that were said. For one, you scoffed at the notion that you play about an SL 5 or so, you dismissed the idea that you play around a C to C+ level and pushed away any comparisons to "the bigger pond of pool players" vs your local area. I could pull up your older posts, but don't want to bother.

Well, guess what? You are a SL5 (until a couple of weeks ago), do play C/C+ speed pool (I've watched you play) and got a reality check at a national event (Rally in Valley). You were playing as a SL 5, went 2 wins and 2 losses. You had 12 games won and 11 lost. You stated that you "ripped up" a player 4-2 and your other win you "ripped him a new one" 4-1. Well, if I do the math, that means in your two LOSSES(which you quickly brushed past with excuses) you were "RIPPED A NEW ONE" 2-4 and 2-4 by two separate SL 5's.

After watching you play, on Youtube and live and going by your results, it turns out that you are exactly as I said, after first watching your vid-

*You are a middle of the road SL 5 at the national level.*

I'm sorry that your ego can't accept that.

Eric

JJFSTAR
03-14-2012, 08:10 AM
Eric this is kind of stupid; because you are down on my game for some inexplicable reason you are just going to say “well look at your loses” and I am going to say “that was because I was dead tired” and you are going to answer “that’s just an excuse” I say so be it. If you are so bent on being down on my game that you are blind to the fact that my 2 wins were against 6’s and my 2 loses were to 2 5’s and you reject the explanation of that as being my physical condition was that of the walking dead so be it; I sure don’t have to explain myself to you. But how do you explain the disparity in performance? Go ahead, really how?

Because my some 90% wins against other 5’s in the mini’s doesn’t fit in with your hell bent idea that I am a middle of the road 5 you will just pretend that didn’t happen; and lets not forget that that is at the same event, I am talking about a total at this event in competition with all others when you combine it all I am about 50+-16 or thereabouts all against people of “roughly” my skill level, but I guess that will not fit in with your idea so you will probably pretend somehow that that is not true.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eric.</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> You have a cocky arrogance about you and you scoffed at certain things that were said. </div></div>

I looked at the thread you are referring to and at every stage I said as a qualifier “I hope you don’t take this the wrong way” apparently that was not enough; you did take my answers “the wrong way”. The very fact that I put up the video would suggest that this statement is bologna, here is a quote by me in this thread, see if this fits into your idea of me being cocky.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJFSTAR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know I suck; that’s why I am on this board; it is because I am making an effort to suck less.
</div></div>

Surely the statement of someone who is cocky and arrogant; don’t you think?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eric.</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> For one, you scoffed at the notion that you play about an SL 5 or so, you dismissed the idea that you play around a C to C+ level and pushed away any comparisons to "the bigger pond of pool players" vs your local area. I could pull up your older posts, but don't want to bother. </div></div>

Anyone can say I said something and then give no proof of it but I challenge you to find how exactly I said that; and if you really look at the whole thing anytime I disagreed with what was said I qualified it both before and after I said it with “don’t take this the wrong way” but again apparently you did, if you also took note I thanked everyone profusely for the help that they did give me, INCLUDING YOU I will make it easy to look up the thread is called JJ’s game; that should make it very easy to look up so there shouldn’t be any excuse not to.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eric.</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> After watching you play, on Youtube and live and going by your results, it turns out that you are exactly as I said, after first watching your vid-

</div></div>

Ah yes the need to be right all the time even though to numbers in front of you suggest otherwise, I know lots of people like that. It’s a big character flaw but some of the people that are at the top in their field have this one; oh well don’t worry in the next paragraph I will tell you that it doesn’t really matter whether you are right or not.

For some inexplicable reason you seem to have it firmly engrained in your mind that I place some importance on this little numerical handicap that the TAP league gives me; well I have a news flash for you I DON’T! As I have said repeatedly my only goal is to improve, I hope to never lose sight of that; and if I ever find myself concerned with something a trivial as some handicap that a league has placed me in I will consider stopping. I can’t see myself ever being that narrow minded.

I would hope that you would treat anyone that came to this board with encouragement whether they be a 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 or 7. Now you may say then why did you say the things you said to jjinfa? The only reason I said what I have said to him is that his comments were absolutely useless and that is what I chastised him for. The only important thing to me is that I have improved; after 3 seasons with TAP I have gone from the top of the 5mvp to the 6 category; sure you will say “that’s locally” and that’s fine but it still shows improvement no matter how you slice it. I would congratulate instead of berate ANYONE that did the same on this board because I am a positive as opposed to a negative person, can you say the same?

Fran Crimi
03-14-2012, 09:31 AM
Okay, my turn. JJ. I don't know you but I do know Eric. Eric is the bomb. He knows his stuff. I bet he could give most of the forum posters the 6 and the orange crush.

You may not like the way he words things, but that's how it is with a straight-shooter who's trying to show you the light. I always pay attention to Eric's posts because I find that he's really insightful and knowledgable, and not afraid to show the other side of the coin when it's relevent.

A lot of posters aren't willing to put themselves out there like that. They'd rather be publicly 'nice' and act as everybody's friend. They reek of phony baloney stuff and tend to stick together.

You seem to like to call it as you see it, too, JJ. That's good, but there is a knack to doing it, though, that I think you still need to work on a bit.

Eric.
03-14-2012, 10:24 AM
Johnny,

One thread I was referring to was:

http://www.billiardsdigest.com/forums/ub...7866#Post367866 (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=34633&Number=367866#Post367866)

In fact, in that thread, you are seeking opinions and criticism, yet when you get it, you are sensitive, touchy, cocky and arrogant at various times. I'm sure you'll reread that thread and see nothing of what I speak of. Thing is, why would anyone post on a public message board if they can't deal with others responding?

I'll finish by saying that you are an egotistical turd that doesn't seem to deal with reality well. You started this whiny thread, complaining about losing and basically running out of the SBE with both hands covering your butthole, vowing to never return. All because your "killer team" didn't do nearly as well as you thought you should of.

Ooookay, Johnny.

Eric

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJFSTAR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Eric this is kind of stupid; because you are down on my game for some inexplicable reason you are just going to say “well look at your loses” and I am going to say “that was because I was dead tired” and you are going to answer “that’s just an excuse” I say so be it. If you are so bent on being down on my game that you are blind to the fact that my 2 wins were against 6’s and my 2 loses were to 2 5’s and you reject the explanation of that as being my physical condition was that of the walking dead so be it; I sure don’t have to explain myself to you. But how do you explain the disparity in performance? Go ahead, really how?

Because my some 90% wins against other 5’s in the mini’s doesn’t fit in with your hell bent idea that I am a middle of the road 5 you will just pretend that didn’t happen; and lets not forget that that is at the same event, I am talking about a total at this event in competition with all others when you combine it all I am about 50+-16 or thereabouts all against people of “roughly” my skill level, but I guess that will not fit in with your idea so you will probably pretend somehow that that is not true.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eric.</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> You have a cocky arrogance about you and you scoffed at certain things that were said. </div></div>

I looked at the thread you are referring to and at every stage I said as a qualifier “I hope you don’t take this the wrong way” apparently that was not enough; you did take my answers “the wrong way”. The very fact that I put up the video would suggest that this statement is bologna, here is a quote by me in this thread, see if this fits into your idea of me being cocky.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJFSTAR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know I suck; that’s why I am on this board; it is because I am making an effort to suck less.
</div></div>

Surely the statement of someone who is cocky and arrogant; don’t you think?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eric.</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> For one, you scoffed at the notion that you play about an SL 5 or so, you dismissed the idea that you play around a C to C+ level and pushed away any comparisons to "the bigger pond of pool players" vs your local area. I could pull up your older posts, but don't want to bother. </div></div>

Anyone can say I said something and then give no proof of it but I challenge you to find how exactly I said that; and if you really look at the whole thing anytime I disagreed with what was said I qualified it both before and after I said it with “don’t take this the wrong way” but again apparently you did, if you also took note I thanked everyone profusely for the help that they did give me, INCLUDING YOU I will make it easy to look up the thread is called JJ’s game; that should make it very easy to look up so there shouldn’t be any excuse not to.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eric.</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> After watching you play, on Youtube and live and going by your results, it turns out that you are exactly as I said, after first watching your vid-

</div></div>

Ah yes the need to be right all the time even though to numbers in front of you suggest otherwise, I know lots of people like that. It’s a big character flaw but some of the people that are at the top in their field have this one; oh well don’t worry in the next paragraph I will tell you that it doesn’t really matter whether you are right or not.

For some inexplicable reason you seem to have it firmly engrained in your mind that I place some importance on this little numerical handicap that the TAP league gives me; well I have a news flash for you I DON’T! As I have said repeatedly my only goal is to improve, I hope to never lose sight of that; and if I ever find myself concerned with something a trivial as some handicap that a league has placed me in I will consider stopping. I can’t see myself ever being that narrow minded.

I would hope that you would treat anyone that came to this board with encouragement whether they be a 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 or 7. Now you may say then why did you say the things you said to jjinfa? The only reason I said what I have said to him is that his comments were absolutely useless and that is what I chastised him for. The only important thing to me is that I have improved; after 3 seasons with TAP I have gone from the top of the 5mvp to the 6 category; sure you will say “that’s locally” and that’s fine but it still shows improvement no matter how you slice it. I would congratulate instead of berate ANYONE that did the same on this board because I am a positive as opposed to a negative person, can you say the same?

</div></div>

JJFSTAR
03-14-2012, 10:36 AM
Thanks Fran I never doubted Eric’s skill or knowledge; quite the contrary I assumed he was a top shooter without knowing or seeing anything of or about him. I am aware that I word things badly sometimes that’s why I put so many qualifiers in my post “JJ’s game” to the effect of “don’t take this the wrong way, I am just trying to be logical”.

I am not docking him for anything he has said about pool. When he 1st answered my post I said “Don’t take this the wrong way but a top shooter like you should be able to do better than that” and he clarified himself on his next answer and I thanked him for his insights. How much more congenial can you get?

I am docking him for a claim that I am a cocky and arrogant player; in fact I find that behavior not just offensive but also counterproductive if you are on a quest to improve your game as well as being detrimental to the sport itself.

I know I need to work on my interpersonal communication skills and yes I view that as a skill; unfortunately growing up in the theater you get quite a skewed view of interpersonal communication itself.

It should be fairly obvious to everyone that has been here for a few years that I am a self admitted of average natural ability to play the game if not less so. I just can’t understand why someone would say to someone “you are cocky and arrogant” when that same person just said “I suck, I know I suck; that’s why I am here, I am just trying to suck less”. I cogitate that and it just comes up “HUH?”

As I seem to keep saying and I guess it isn’t all that effective and I freely admit that; I want you to answer me honestly, no beating around the bush, no nicey nicey. You have read my posts over a span of time. Do you think that making the claim that I am cocky and arrogant is warranted? Please answer uninhibited by the notion of “hurting my feelings”; I am a grownup I can handle it.

Eric.
03-18-2012, 09:02 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJFSTAR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For the record my captain usually plays me against 5’s or 6’s. This season I have played 1 3 and 1 4 the other 5 matches have been against 5’s or 6’s.

</div></div>

By the way, you're busted. What I quoted above is flat out, ego pumping, narcissistic horse kerrapp.

Since you brought it up, let's take a look at the real numbers:

You are 8 wins, 0 losses this season, so far. You have a handicap "H" factor of 30. According to TAP, the "H" factor is the total sum of the handicaps you ahve beaten.

Lemme see... 30 divided by 8 = *3.75 average*

Hmm. Well, if I take Johnny's suspect word that he played one 3 and one 4 (both would have to be wins being that you are 8-0), then that totals 7. 30 (H factor) minus 7= 23. 23 divided by 6(your other 6 wins) = 3.83.

Your statement of "the other 5 matches have been against 5’s or 6’s"is flat out b.s. The numbers don't add up.

I know, I know...numbers don't mean squat. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Eric

Eric.
03-19-2012, 02:48 PM
Johnny? Are you giving me the silent treatment?

Eric

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eric.</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJFSTAR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For the record my captain usually plays me against 5’s or 6’s. This season I have played 1 3 and 1 4 the other 5 matches have been against 5’s or 6’s.

</div></div>

By the way, you're busted. What I quoted above is flat out, ego pumping, narcissistic horse kerrapp.

You are 8 wins, 0 losses this season, so far. You have a handicap "H" factor of 30. According to TAP, the "H" factor is the total sum of the handicaps you ahve beaten.

Hmm. Well, if I take Johnny's suspect word that he played one 3 and one 4 (both would have to be wins being that you are 8-0), then that totals 7. 30 (H factor) minus 7= 23. 23 divided by 6(your other 6 wins) = 3.83.

Your statement of "the other 5 matches have been against 5’s or 6’s"is flat out b.s. The numbers don't add up.

I know, I know...numbers don't mean squat. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Eric

</div></div>

Eric.
03-27-2012, 09:53 AM
Johnny, since you have been posting, I guess you are no longer interested in addressing this.

Well, I don't blame ya.

Eric

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eric.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Johnny? Are you giving me the silent treatment?

Eric

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eric.</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJFSTAR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For the record my captain usually plays me against 5’s or 6’s. This season I have played 1 3 and 1 4 the other 5 matches have been against 5’s or 6’s.

</div></div>

Eric

</div></div> </div></div>

JJFSTAR
03-28-2012, 11:03 AM
Eric I am not “giving you the silent treatment” you said “since you have been posting” and that isn’t some kind of “dirty filthy lie” it is just that you are incorrect, because I haven’t been posting.

You make this statement that says “you’re busted” well apparently I am incorrect that I have played only 1 3 and 1 4 but that is my recollection; if you say that can’t possibly be then heck I will believe you; but to say that is some kind of “dirty filthy lie” is just silly.

In the rally in the valley I was played against 2 5’s and 2 6’s. I am telling you (and you aren’t really listening so there isn’t really too much point in talking to you in the 1st place) that that is an illustration of how I am played/used on this team. (You probably will come up with something to refute that for whatever reason).

The reason that I have not been posting is that apparently I am thought of on this board as some kind of cocky, arrogant, ego driven, full of himself a$$h012. I never claimed to have great communication skills; in fact quite the opposite, I also never claimed to be some kind of great pool player; in fact exactly the opposite THAT’S WHY I PUT THE VIDEO UP ON YOUTUBE. It was for help with my game from people that are better players than I am. How is it that I am thought of in this negative light? That to me will remain one of lifes little mysteries.

In these last 4 years or so this board has had an enormous impact on my game; I really owe a very special thanks especially to Bambu, Fran, Rich R., Spiderman, Sid, Softasnapper, Lww, Qtec, Joe W, Dave S, Dr. Dave and others that I am sure I have forgotten about; yes Eric believe it or not even you. My game is improving; that will always be and has always been my only agenda item.

I do not play pool to make big money, feed my ego or the like. I play pool to improve at a skill, that in and of itself is very rewarding. Pool also has a bonus package; nights out on the town, meeting new people, spending time with friends & family (I taught my older brother how to play and he plays on another team for the same bar). I do not play pool to compare myself to others on any level, I do aspire to be one of the top local players and to that goal I get closer every year.

I certainly will not remove the button on my links bar and not come here because that would be cutting off my nose to spite my face; I will continue to read and learn from the folks here (yes Eric even from you). I have nothing but appreciation for everything I have learned here and that as I have said has been my objective from the very start of my participation here. I suppose I even owe a thank you to you for helping reveal to me how others see me; it happens very often that people don’t view themselves as others see them and apparently this is the case with me.

So all in all I have nothing but good feelings about my exchanges here with everyone because it has helped me to come a really long way in this game I love so much; so I will be watching, I will be reading, I will be studying but I wont be participating in the discussions anymore; you guys are far better equipped to take on the newbies questions and help them along their way to reach their goals in this game anyway; I know you guys sure have helped me closer to mine; thanks again everyone it’s been a blast and a boon to my game; as a friend of mine used to say “peace, love & hairgrease”

Deeman3
03-28-2012, 12:34 PM
JJ,

Not only is Eric a very skilled player but a hell of a nice guy who just tells it like it is! he also has a pretty effective right jab. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I never learned much from cheerleaders but a lot from well intentioned critique.

DeeMan

Eric.
03-28-2012, 05:04 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJFSTAR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
You make this statement that says “you’re busted” well apparently I am incorrect that I have played only 1 3 and 1 4 but that is my recollection; if you say that can’t possibly be then heck I will believe you; but to say that is some kind of “dirty filthy lie” is just silly.

</div></div>

LOL! Nice side step (and you say *I* should be in politics??).

Not only did you play more than one 3 and one 4, they were the majority of your opponents, which is not even close to what you implied. That is why I said that you were full of it, when you said what you did. Apparently, you confirmed what I said. Fair enough.

Well, despite all this, I still think your heart is in the right place. I'm sure you're not a bad guy.

Eric

Eric.
03-28-2012, 05:10 PM
Dee,

You're still not getting my Bud Light!

One of these days, I hope we can have a drink. You are one of the posters on this board that are on my "hope to meet some day" list.

Eric

Deeman3
03-28-2012, 06:43 PM
Eric,

We did meet at the Expo in Valley Forge but you had a lot going on so you just don't recall it. However, next time we meet it will be drinks all around. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Eric.
03-29-2012, 04:42 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Eric,

We did meet at the Expo in Valley Forge but you had a lot going on so you just don't recall it. However, next time we meet it will be drinks all around. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </div></div>

Oh man, mea culpa...! I think I need to start taking Ginkgo Biloba. Next time, hopefully it won't be so brief (and I'll bring a pencil and paper to help my miserable memory)...

Eric

Bambu
03-29-2012, 07:31 AM
Its slow enough in here as it is, its never good to lose regular posters. Sometimes you have to give people the benefit of the doubt. Misunderstandings happen, posters and players evolve. I must say, anybody can post a video of a runout or 2. So, I gained alot of respect for JJ when he posted his video asking for help. If he was truly arrogant, he wouldnt have done that.

(Insert Rodney King picture here.)

Eric.
03-29-2012, 09:25 AM
Point taken, Bambu. Maybe I need to cut down on the caffeine.

Eric

Qtec
03-31-2012, 08:01 AM
Thanks for the mention, glad I could be of help.

Not many would post a video of themselves playing crap. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif Its takes balls to do that. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif
Lets face it, if you are looking for help with your worst performances there's not a lot of point to post a video when its all going well.

link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVRpj3-VcU4)

The second shot you played was not the right shot, it was the one you were more comfortable with. That's not the right mindset.

Rule # 1. Play your own game.
Rule#2. Play the the shot that is required, not the shot you want to play.

Q

Bambu
03-31-2012, 09:23 AM
Whether it be for money, tournament, or even fun....thats the downfall of playing to win. You want to win so badly, you tend to avoid low percentage shots(even when you know they are correct). So you end up avoiding shots you know you need work on. I know I did that a long time, sometimes I still do when I know I shouldnt!

SpiderMan
04-02-2012, 02:07 PM
Call me on my cell (number is unchanged, but let me know if you need it). I tried to send you some picture mail from Memphis this weekend, then tried calling your number and found that it was disconnected.

SpiderMan

Qtec
04-03-2012, 04:16 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You want to win so badly, you tend to avoid low percentage shots </div></div>

On the shot I mentioned, the second shot, a simple run through would have given him perfect position. It was the % shot.[ Really it should be a drag shot in that situation.]

I have always taught my pupils to play the right shot, whatever the consequences.
This is the right attitude and because when they are trained to always take these shots on, it becomes ingrained and the result is it takes the pressure off. They have no choice. They can go for that ball with 100% abandon.

What another player might have doubts about, they don't.

That's half the battle.

Qtec

enjoydgame
04-05-2012, 06:18 AM
Every day brings something new for you. From every event, activity we learn. Here is the same case, may be that tour is not as your expectation but you got few lessons which will be useful for you. look forward.

Eric.
06-19-2012, 07:16 PM
I guess you ditched us, JJFSTAR/John?

Eric

JJFSTAR
06-20-2012, 01:20 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eric.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess you ditched us, JJFSTAR/John?

Eric </div></div>

Nope I just stopped posting; it is clear to me that you and others here view me as some kind of egomaniac that thinks of himself as some kind of great pool player. How that happened is still to me a real mystery. I said my farewell post with nothing but appreciation of everyone here; you included. Why would you be concerned or even want someone around that you consider to be an arrogant liar? (I am not BTW) It just makes no sense to me. The only reason for this post is you asked me and as I said I am still around because I learn stuff here. But boy I sure am confused.

Eric.
06-21-2012, 06:35 AM
I musta missed the "farewell cruel world" post /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif

If anything, I'm sure no one "hates" you or wishes you gone, but IMO, I think the feedback you got was on the money. C'est la vie.

So, are you still ripping up those SL 6's? Has your captain told you that you are now on the verge of being a 7?

Eric

JJFSTAR
06-21-2012, 08:21 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eric.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I musta missed the "farewell cruel world" post /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif</div></div>

well then here it is again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJFSTAR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Eric I am not “giving you the silent treatment” you said “since you have been posting” and that isn’t some kind of “dirty filthy lie” it is just that you are incorrect, because I haven’t been posting.

In the rally in the valley I was played against 2 5’s and 2 6’s. I am telling you (and you aren’t really listening so there isn’t really too much point in talking to you in the 1st place) that that is an illustration of how I am played/used on this team. (You probably will come up with something to refute that for whatever reason).

The reason that I have not been posting is that apparently I am thought of on this board as some kind of cocky, arrogant, ego driven, full of himself a$$h012. I never claimed to have great communication skills; in fact quite the opposite, I also never claimed to be some kind of great pool player; in fact exactly the opposite THAT’S WHY I PUT THE VIDEO UP ON YOUTUBE. It was for help with my game from people that are better players than I am. How is it that I am thought of in this negative light? That to me will remain one of lifes little mysteries.

In these last 4 years or so this board has had an enormous impact on my game; I really owe a very special thanks especially to Bambu, Fran, Rich R., Spiderman, Sid, Softasnapper, Lww, Qtec, Joe W, Dave S, Dr. Dave and others that I am sure I have forgotten about; yes Eric believe it or not even you. My game is improving; that will always be and has always been my only agenda item.

I do not play pool to make big money, feed my ego or the like. I play pool to improve at a skill, that in and of itself is very rewarding. Pool also has a bonus package; nights out on the town, meeting new people, spending time with friends & family (I taught my older brother how to play and he plays on another team for the same bar). I do not play pool to compare myself to others on any level, I do aspire to be one of the top local players and to that goal I get closer every year.

I certainly will not remove the button on my links bar and not come here because that would be cutting off my nose to spite my face; I will continue to read and learn from the folks here (yes Eric even from you). I have nothing but appreciation for everything I have learned here and that as I have said has been my objective from the very start of my participation here. I suppose I even owe a thank you to you for helping reveal to me how others see me; it happens very often that people don’t view themselves as others see them and apparently this is the case with me.

So all in all I have nothing but good feelings about my exchanges here with everyone because it has helped me to come a really long way in this game I love so much; so I will be watching, I will be reading, I will be studying but I wont be participating in the discussions anymore; you guys are far better equipped to take on the newbies questions and help them along their way to reach their goals in this game anyway; I know you guys sure have helped me closer to mine; thanks again everyone it’s been a blast and a boon to my game; as a friend of mine used to say “peace, love & hairgrease”
</div></div>

hard to believe you “missed” that, maybe you just “skim” longer posts like a few here do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eric.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If anything, I'm sure no one "hates" you or wishes you gone, but IMO, I think the feedback you got was on the money. C'est la vie. </div></div>

I agree 100%, I own responsibility for what I say (write) I somehow somewhere wrote things that gave people an image of me that I feel is in direct contrast with my personality. “hate” really isn’t the issue. The feedback I got or the feedback anyone gets will always be “on the money” for the most part; that is the nature of it; that is the main reason (I don’t know about other people) I ask for it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eric.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So, are you still ripping up those SL 6's? Has your captain told you that you are now on the verge of being a 7?
Eric </div></div>

Really? I mean come on; really? Maybe this is just part of your personality? I am never sure how to take people. Maybe you have a problem with “true” interpersonal communication; many people do especially “real men”. But continued sarcasm? Really? But to answer your query as best I can I will tell you about how TAP is going (for me). I am considering quitting TAP, I seem to be naturally showing up later and later (not a good sign for the team or my interest in it).

The rally in the valley really did take some of the wind out of my sails for TAP, winning enough in the scotch minis to pay for the trip +.02 cents I must say was a thrill but the team performance on what was supposed to be the main stage overall was a disappointment I wont ever forget. When we got placed we should have performed much better than we did. No finger pointing just “we”.

I am going to tell you this ONE MORE TIME. I do not play pool for any reason other than to get better that’s it, ALL other considerations are secondary or part of a plan to achieve #1 (getting better). SL7? Maybe in my next lifetime. Here’s to your sarcastic ass (downing a shot of whisky) man keep on truckin!

Eric.
06-21-2012, 08:34 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJFSTAR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eric.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So, are you still ripping up those SL 6's? Has your captain told you that you are now on the verge of being a 7?
Eric </div></div>

Really? I mean come on; really? Maybe this is just part of your personality? I am never sure how to take people. Maybe you have a problem with “true” interpersonal communication; many people do especially “real men”. But continued sarcasm? Really? But to answer your query as best I can I will tell you about how TAP is going (for me). I am considering quitting TAP, I seem to be naturally showing up later and later (not a good sign for the team or my interest in it).

The rally in the valley really did take some of the wind out of my sails for TAP, winning enough in the scotch minis to pay for the trip +.02 cents I must say was a thrill but the team performance on what was supposed to be the main stage overall was a disappointment I wont ever forget. When we got placed we should have performed much better than we did. No finger pointing just “we”.

I am going to tell you this ONE MORE TIME. I do not play pool for any reason other than to get better that’s it, ALL other considerations are secondary or part of a plan to achieve #1 (getting better). SL7? Maybe in my next lifetime. Here’s to your sarcastic ass (downing a shot of whisky) man keep on truckin!

</div></div>

Well, I can be honest with myself too, I know I can be a bit of an unrelenting jerk
(especially when I find something amusing /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif )....

BTW, did your captain predict that you were about to go back down to a SL5 recently? -

MemberID H/CPlayerName GamesWon GamesLost MatchesWonMatchesLost
Played Renewal Due Date

210806 ** 5 ** JOHN FISCHER ** 20 ** 13 ** 2 ** 3 ** 01/11/2013

Eric &gt; /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/whistle.gif

JJFSTAR
06-21-2012, 01:15 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eric.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BTW, did your captain predict that you were about to go back down to a SL5 recently? -
</div></div>

Yes

Eric.
06-21-2012, 01:44 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eric.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BTW, did your captain predict that you were about to go back down to a SL5 recently? -
</div></div>

Yes </div></div>

Your captain is better than the amazing Kreskin!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsiTQvjA9DA

Eric &gt;could use some Lotto help

JJFSTAR
06-21-2012, 05:34 PM
Either that or he understands the math (spreadsheet) behind how they come up with the handicap ie what they assign miss/comp ratio, what weight they assign to MOB, DEF, B&R, LOT etc.. He says "it's not that hard"

Eric.
06-21-2012, 05:40 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJFSTAR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Either that or he understands the math (spreadsheet) behind how they come up with the handicap ie what they assign miss/comp ratio, what weight they assign to MOB, DEF, B&R, LOT etc.. He says "it's not that hard" </div></div>

Or...he is pretending to use numbers and the theory of relativity, but in reality, he is just GUESSING.

Eric

JJFSTAR
06-21-2012, 05:49 PM
Or maybe he is ACTUALLY using his own numbering system to aid his guess? Maybe thats why his guesses are so accurate?

JJFSTAR
06-21-2012, 06:23 PM
Let me try to explain this in detail, our captain is crazy yes certified as insane he does not work he gets disability because he is insane. How insane? Let me give you an example when he does his “morning routine” and forgets to brush his teeth for example he can’t just brush his teeth that’s the wrong order of things he must get back in the shower shampoo, condition and soap again before he can brush his teeth. This is just an example. This does not mean he is stupid in fact he has a degree in information science and has math skills that the average person would think to be savant-like. He trusts NO ONE! He keeps records of numbers that the average person would deem to be insane and that’s just because he actually is, not joking here yes HE IS ACTUALLY INSANE!!! A visit to his house would knock people on the floor. Everything in his food pantry is labeled as to its date of purchase and original cost as is everything in his fridge and freezer, he has financial articles that are MONTHS old that are stacked in order of date that he will read.

Pool is his LIFE! That is what he does he can tell you what the score of what my 1st match was against who; as he can with every player on the team. Now why is it that you find it so hard to believe that a reasonably intelligent, insane person with superior math skills, no job, an OCD (certified not a joke), a degree in information science would not have the ability or desire to recreate or come close to recreating the spreadsheet that the TAP league uses to assign the handicaps to the players?

Eric.
06-21-2012, 06:43 PM
Simple. There is no way of knowing what scores the others in the sample group are posting. You may not have a good understanding of statistics & probability, so I won't belabor the point. TAP bases the handycap numbers against a national database. The only way to know where you stand relative to the national database is... to have access to the data. There is no way to reverse engineer it through your own scores.

I don't suppose you understand this concept?

*Edit- BTW, what da hay-ell does an Information Sciences degree have anything to do with your(probably fictional)buddy's big credentials? My mother was a librarian too(MLIS), but I wouldn't say she had any extraordinary math skills /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Eric

JJFSTAR
06-22-2012, 11:05 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eric.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Simple. There is no way of knowing what scores the others in the sample group are posting. TAP bases the handycap numbers against a national database.
</div></div>

I can’t imagine that it fluctuates all that much

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eric.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
You may not have a good understanding of statistics & probability, so I won't belabor the point. </div></div>

You are correct; I don’t

The only way to know where you stand relative to the national database is... to have access to the data. There is no way to reverse engineer it through your own scores.
</div></div>

I am going to have to correct you there; there is no way FOR YOU to.

*Edit- BTW, what da hay-ell does an Information Sciences degree have anything to do with your(probably fictional)buddy's big credentials? My mother was a librarian too(MLIS), but I wouldn't say she had any extraordinary math skills /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif
Eric </div></div>

Why would a bachelors degree be a “big credential?” Why do you say “(probably fictional)”? on what do you base that? What da hay-ell does being a librarian have to do with extraordinary math skills?

Let us look at just the facts ok I was a 5 and I said “captain says I am dangerously close to becoming a 6”. then boom they move me to a 6, now you don’t have proof because I didn’t display my handicap till I was a 6, that was to prove to you what I was saying but this OP clearly stated that I am a 5. So we can say pretty definitively that I was at the time of the OP.

I will also tell you (but you seem as crazy as my captain BTW about trusting what others say) that he told Adam when he was moved to a 3, DOM when he went up to a 5 AND when he went back down to a 4.

I would prefer to think that there is a very simple explanation for this rather than think he is something like Kreskin, can actually read minds or has some kind of supernatural powers. Since he keeps writing down every number for everyone this is (I suspect) how he is able to do it, this conversation is beginning to bore me a little because you don’t have an open mind to a possibility that this can be done, to me it really isn’t a big deal whether it can or cannot be, all I can tell you is that he can. I will ask him on Wednesday (if I remember to).

Eric.
06-22-2012, 02:13 PM
Okay, Johnny, I'm gonna show you why you are regarded as a laughing stock...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJFSTAR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eric.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Simple. There is no way of knowing what scores the others in the sample group are posting. TAP bases the handycap numbers against a national database.
</div></div>

I can’t imagine that it fluctuates all that much

<span style="color: #000099">And what fact are you basing that assumption on? None?</span>

You may not have a good understanding of statistics & probability, so I won't belabor the point. </div></div>

You are correct; I don’t
<span style="color: #000099">And, because you, Johnny, are clueless, doesn't mean that we are too...read on.</span>

The only way to know where you stand relative to the national database is... to have access to the data. There is no way to reverse engineer it through your own scores.
</div></div>

I am going to have to correct you there; there is no way FOR YOU to.
<span style="color: #3333FF">I'm gonna correct YOUR gullible azz..there is not enough information to fully calculate it. At best, you are still guessing due to not knowing what data is in teh database that you are drawing from. You can get a rough idea, but to be a simpleton and believe that someone can produce exact results out of incomplete data is laughable. </span>

Eric </div></div>

Why would a bachelors degree be a “big credential?” Why do you say “(probably fictional)”? on what do you base that? What da hay-ell does being a librarian have to do with extraordinary math skills?
<span style="color: #3333FF">I didn't expect you to catch on. An IS degree is related to the library sciences. It has nothing to do with applied math. You would have been better off saying that he has a certificate from the Arthur Murray Dance School.</span>

Let us look at just the facts ok I was a 5 and I said “captain says I am dangerously close to becoming a 6”. then boom they move me to a 6, now you don’t have proof because I didn’t display my handicap till I was a 6, that was to prove to you what I was saying but this OP clearly stated that I am a 5. So we can say pretty definitively that I was at the time of the OP.

I will also tell you (but you seem as crazy as my captain BTW about trusting what others say) that he told Adam when he was moved to a 3, DOM when he went up to a 5 AND when he went back down to a 4.

I would prefer to think that there is a very simple explanation for this rather than think he is something like Kreskin, can actually read minds or has some kind of supernatural powers. Since he keeps writing down every number for everyone this is (I suspect) how he is able to do it, this conversation is beginning to bore me a little because you don’t have an open mind to a possibility that this can be done, to me it really isn’t a big deal whether it can or cannot be, all I can tell you is that he can. I will ask him on Wednesday (if I remember to).
</div></div>

<span style="color: #3333FF">Johnny, i know these calculations seem like quantum physics to you, but it is actually very basic math. Honestly, if your lunatic captain (by your description) has it figured out, why dont you very simply ask him what "the formula" is and post it here?

For me, I'd be curious to see what he says. Afterall, I'm a numbers guy/math dork too. For what I do, part of my job involves statistics, probability and quantitative analysis. I'd love to see what he has to say.

Eric</span>

JJFSTAR
06-22-2012, 02:45 PM
I can say that this little exchange has been fruitful for me and a good reminder of why I stopped posting here.

Eric.
06-22-2012, 03:09 PM
Yep, run along, now. It's easier than facing the music.

Eric

TomBrooklyn
06-28-2012, 09:15 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJFSTAR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am closer than ever to playing the best pool that my natural ability will allow given the time and resources I have to devote to it. </div></div> It sounds like you're doing the best you can. That's all anybody can hope for. If you want to get substantially better, you'll have to find a way to put in more time and effort.

Cafe Allegro
09-21-2012, 12:29 PM
Eric,

You are right on the money with your assessment of Johnny. He is a fundamentally sound pool player, with a deep respect for the game, but he focuses so intently on his shortcomings that he rarely moves forward. He would rather argue a point and split hairs (ad nauseum!) instead of letting himself progress naturally. He forces himself to try to get better, but he doesn't realize that his conscious self just can't handle the input. He ends up walking the same well-worn paths...over analysis and reckless decision making.

In the 14+ years I have known John he has lost a SIGNIFICANT amount of courage, humility, and confidence. He believes his teaching methods are better than most, actually calling other's instructional methodology "dubious", on his website. He is a great source of entertainment, but his insecurity makes him come off as arrogant. He does brag openly about his game, sometimes swaggering without shame during matches, and generally makes people uncomfortable with his curious nature, but he can't help it.

John brags online because he is not taken seriously at the table. He may never get better because he cannot utilize constructive criticism. He takes things WAY too personally, and lets his emotions get the best of him. He might have a transient ischemic attack if he wasn't allowed to hear himself talk. He might label his arrogance as "objectivity", but any first year psychology student can attest that objectivity, in the first person, is a direct contradiction. Humans aren't wired to accurately assess ourselves...it's like dividing by zero.

Pittsburgh is a bit anemic when it comes to pool and billiards. John may not realize this. He has the opportunity to seek out the best here, offer himself as a student, and take full advantage of a learning environment. This boon is lost on him, his arrogance keeps him shackled.

His garden variety manic depression gets legs through a crippling inferiority complex. We just let him go on. He's harmless.

If you ever meet him, offer him some Boodles Gin, or Dalwhinnie neat. He may just open up and relax a bit.

Regards,
George

Cornerman
09-22-2012, 06:48 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cafe Allegro</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Eric,

You are right on the money with your assessment of Johnny. He is a fundamentally sound pool player, with a deep respect for the game, but he focuses so intently on his shortcomings that he rarely moves forward. He would rather argue a point and split hairs (ad nauseum!) instead of letting himself progress naturally. He forces himself to try to get better, but he doesn't realize that his conscious self just can't handle the input. He ends up walking the same well-worn paths...over analysis and reckless decision making.

In the 14+ years I have known John he has lost a SIGNIFICANT amount of courage, humility, and confidence. He believes his teaching methods are better than most, actually calling other's instructional methodology "dubious", on his website. He is a great source of entertainment, but his insecurity makes him come off as arrogant. He does brag openly about his game, sometimes swaggering without shame during matches, and generally makes people uncomfortable with his curious nature, but he can't help it.

John brags online because he is not taken seriously at the table. He may never get better because he cannot utilize constructive criticism. He takes things WAY too personally, and lets his emotions get the best of him. He might have a transient ischemic attack if he wasn't allowed to hear himself talk. He might label his arrogance as "objectivity", but any first year psychology student can attest that objectivity, in the first person, is a direct contradiction. Humans aren't wired to accurately assess ourselves...it's like dividing by zero.

Pittsburgh is a bit anemic when it comes to pool and billiards. John may not realize this. He has the opportunity to seek out the best here, offer himself as a student, and take full advantage of a learning environment. This boon is lost on him, his arrogance keeps him shackled.

His garden variety manic depression gets legs through a crippling inferiority complex. We just let him go on. He's harmless.

If you ever meet him, offer him some Boodles Gin, or Dalwhinnie neat. He may just open up and relax a bit.

Regards,
George </div></div>There's a post I can read over and over !

Fran Crimi
09-22-2012, 06:58 AM
And I was thinking the opposite. What a shame to out somebody like that. That's one person's opinion and we don't know if he has an ax to grind.

Cafe Allegro
09-22-2012, 06:23 PM
So Fran,

Your position is to lament the identification of frauds that retard the true nature of our sport?

I thought that was the reputation we, as players, and the game as a whole, were trying to overcome?

Regards,
George