PDA

View Full Version : Rush going down for the 3rd count?

Soflasnapper
03-13-2012, 09:33 AM
From Thur-Sat, Rush's WABC programming ran 200 unpaid PSAs

Last night, Premiere Radio announced a 2-week suspension of all national advertising on his show, returning the ad times normally reserved for their sale and profit on the show to the local stations.

And Cumulus radio may be able to essentially end Rush's career in broadcast, thusly: They own about a dozen radio stations in the largest markets, including NYC, Chicago, etc. They also own the new Mike Huckabee show, which is being rolled out in the near future, to run at 12-3 (Rush's current time).

They may very well decide to favor themselves, and substitute the show they own into Rush's spots, in one fell swoop cutting his audience reach by half or more.

llotter
03-13-2012, 11:52 AM
This is fun to watch you folks on the Left salivating that the most powerful leader on the right might be in trouble but there is no way their dreams will be fulfilled, Rush is just too good and his audience will not tolerate it. The reality is that this kerfuffle will redound to Rush's benefit and the Left is going to be forced back under their rock further than ever.

Soflasnapper
03-13-2012, 12:23 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: llotter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is fun to watch you folks on the Left salivating that the most powerful leader on the right might be in trouble but there is no way their dreams will be fulfilled, Rush is just too good and his audience will not tolerate it. The reality is that this kerfuffle will redound to Rush's benefit and the Left is going to be forced back under their rock further than ever. </div></div>

Why wouldn't Cumulus run their own show on their own major market stations? Are they going to run it on OTHER stations they do not own, or simply not try to run him in the major markets? I doubt either one of those possibilities is likely, so odds are, at least in some of these major markets, they'll swap out Huckabee, whose show they own, for Rush, and not pay Rush his $1 million dollar extra licensing fee (per major market).

This may not be entirely due to Rush's problems at all, but it provides a convenient secondary excuse for them to do what they might have done anyway.

By many accounts, Rush's audience is severely shrunk, making his very large licensing fee less and less worthwhile.

I think he'll always be around, but more following the Stern or Beck examples, on some other media platform.

BTW, I am NOT salivating at all, and I don't think destroying anyone's career in this manner is sound public policy. I've already said as much in the 'case against the case against Rush' thread, which perhaps you saw. More the unavoidable gawking at the car wreck scene, as it stunningly unfolds.

The problem with the 'Rush audience' is that women buy something like 80% of all consumer purchases, and his audience is skewed strongly male (women tend to really really dislike him for some reason?!?! lol!) AND older, neither of which makes it a good demographic, and it's getting worse.

DiabloViejo
03-13-2012, 12:40 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: llotter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is fun to watch you folks on the Left salivating that the most powerful leader on the right might be in trouble but there is no way their dreams will be fulfilled, Rush is just too good and his audience will not tolerate it. The reality is that this kerfuffle will redound to Rush's benefit and the Left is going to be forced back under their rock further than ever. </div></div>

Oh man, this is rich! "The most powerful leader on the right" is a hate spewing shock jock pig who is also an impotent drug addict and three time drug rehab patient! Sounds to me like he has all the qualifications to lead all you lunatics. Good for you! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif BTW, he still has one sponsor..the makers of Oxycontin!

http://blog.reidreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/rush-limbaugh-oxyparody.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/428350_10150585697835885_550735884_9127261_2059986 780_n.jpg

Soflasnapper
03-13-2012, 01:22 PM
I remember to this day how I felt when one of the lead stories was Newt Gingrich's resignation from Congress.

This may top that feeling, don't know. Or it may be sadly anticlimactic.

Rush may find satisfaction in a lot of golfing, smoking those big cigars, and riding around in his Maybachs (has a couple of them I've heard). But I know he'd miss talking, and I doubt he'll leave it, unless the money is too pitiful.

Soflasnapper
03-13-2012, 04:30 PM
Still no Drudge link to this story after 12 hours or more? What a censor that guy is!