PDA

View Full Version : Fed up with Accu-Stats

Grady
09-29-2002, 10:46 AM
Every time over the last 10 or so years that a desirable or good paying job has become available doing commentary on pocket billiards, I have never been selected, although I am popular among knowledgeable people. Each occasion where something has arisen through Accu-stats, Incardona was chosen over me. Hall, Cardone, Davenport, Varner, Sigel, Mizerak, Hopkins, just to name a few were all selected at one time or another to do TV commentary.
I just left the U.S. Open with that old familiar sinking feeling in my stomach. The live Pay-Per-View telecast’s announcing duties were going to be done by Incardona, Jim Wych (from the UK) and Mike Sigel, even though I had been told days earlier that I would be working the finals. I was the only one in the whole convention center who didn’t know this. I found out by accident on Friday night.
If Cardone and Varner or Cardone and Buddy had been picked, I wouldn’t have liked it because it’s my turn (I’ll be 60 in two months) but I could have understood at least. But Sigel and Wych I find offensive. They haven’t gotten in there and paid their dues like I have. And I think I can do as good a job as any of the three of them even if my diction isn’t what it once was. No one even came and told me to my face about this decision.
Why a female ref was dressed exactly like Matchroom’s escapes me. And this one wasn’t even qualified to make calls.To copy the way Hearn does anything is a big mistake. His so-called “World Championship” allots the U.S. the most players, 14. The Mosconi Cup uses 8 players. Am I the only one who cares about the now few hundred players worldwide who won’t ever be allowed to participate in events of Matchroom or the travesty that takes place at the Mohican Sun?
Everything I said and predicted about Mackey, etc. came true and these comments are right on the money, too, not that they’ll make much difference. At least Barry Behrman runs what ought to be the only “World Championship” of 9 Ball.
Anyway, if it matters, I quit Accu-stats and gave them a quick cussing out, which did make me feel a little better. I have obtained a beautiful facility for my next event, next August in Columbia. It will be 14.1 and One Pocket. Details are forthcoming. Thanks, Grady

Harold Acosta
09-29-2002, 11:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Grady:</font><hr> Every time over the last 10 or so years that a desirable or good paying job has become available doing commentary on pocket billiards, I have never been selected, although I am popular among knowledgeable people. Each occasion where something has arisen through Accu-stats, Incardona was chosen over me. Hall, Cardone, Davenport, Varner, Sigel, Mizerak, Hopkins, just to name a few were all selected at one time or another to do TV commentary.
I just left the U.S. Open with that old familiar sinking feeling in my stomach. The live Pay-Per-View telecast’s announcing duties were going to be done by Incardona, Jim Wych (from the UK) and Mike Sigel, even though I had been told days earlier that I would be working the finals. I was the only one in the whole convention center who didn’t know this. I found out by accident on Friday night.
If Cardone and Varner or Cardone and Buddy had been picked, I wouldn’t have liked it because it’s my turn (I’ll be 60 in two months) but I could have understood at least. But Sigel and Wych I find offensive. They haven’t gotten in there and paid their dues like I have. And I think I can do as good a job as any of the three of them even if my diction isn’t what it once was. No one even came and told me to my face about this decision.
Why a female ref was dressed exactly like Matchroom’s escapes me. And this one wasn’t even qualified to make calls.To copy the way Hearn does anything is a big mistake. His so-called “World Championship” allots the U.S. the most players, 14. The Mosconi Cup uses 8 players. Am I the only one who cares about the now few hundred players worldwide who won’t ever be allowed to participate in events of Matchroom or the travesty that takes place at the Mohican Sun?
Everything I said and predicted about Mackey, etc. came true and these comments are right on the money, too, not that they’ll make much difference. At least Barry Behrman runs what ought to be the only “World Championship” of 9 Ball.
Anyway, if it matters, I quit Accu-stats and gave them a quick cussing out, which did make me feel a little better. I have obtained a beautiful facility for my next event, next August in Columbia. It will be 14.1 and One Pocket. Details are forthcoming. Thanks, Grady
<hr></blockquote>

Grady, as a fan and player that I am, I like your play and commentary on pool tapes, TV, a lot. But their is only one thing that bothers me about you. You always vent your personal problems here at the board and in the public view. Your comments are always to badmouth people or organizations related to the Pool World. I have almost never (although I dont remember) seen you say something worthy about someone. Last-time, in Cardiff, if I am not wrong, you were selected to do commentary. We talked about it in this board, and we were surprised you were in fact selected, when all you do is badmouth people. That was an opportunity given to you, despite all the things you say and write.

Now, just because Accu-stats selected other persons instead of you, you have to go off against Accu-stat.

Well, maybe they were considering you for the commentary on the Open, but then people and organizations are entitled to change their opinions, aren't they? Maybe, they didn't tell you about the change in plans because you would go off against them, and that is exactly what happened.

Brady, keep doing your thing, and promoting the sport the way you want to but let other people and organizations do the own thing also.

It is sad and maybe wrong that some of these things happen to you but please learn to live with it and keep going on.

I'm saying this from the bottom of my heart.

Harold Acosta Jr. - Puerto Rico, USA.

09-29-2002, 11:19 AM
Who was the ones making the decisions? I don't think quitting, even though you seem to have some satisfaction form doing it, was a good idea. About commentary, I think many commentators in all sports get the idea they are the show and not the sport. A commentator serves a purpose but can even be a distraction at times if they don't really understand their job. For Accu-statsI think you are about the best. The tapes are if a little amateurish, but very educational and you get to see great pool. For a TV broadcast to a wider audience beyond hard core pool nuts, they were probably looking for something a little different. I don't think they owe you anything, if you get the job, great, but don't live and did with it.

NH_Steve
09-29-2002, 01:45 PM
Grady,
I'm a big Accustats fan, and a big Grady fan. I'm sorry to hear you didn't get picked for the TV broadcast -- especially if you were told you were likely to be selected for that honor. I hope you haven't burned your bridges with Pat, though, 'cuz IMO you certainly have been a big part of the educational &amp; entertainment value of the Accustats tapes that I have watched, and I look forward to many more -- with you as part of the dynamic commentary. They don't call you 'The Professor' for nothing!
-- Steve

09-29-2002, 04:45 PM
grady,,,,you are very well known as a knowledgable player, but quite honestly, you and incardona are a bad team for accustat. all you ever do is banter back and forth, making quips about each other's game, and nothing "knowledgable" ever gets said. the only time i find the commentary interesting is when someone else drops into the booth. diliberto, sigel, or ervolino, all made commentary on some 14.1 matches that were inciteful, while you and bill just joked around. heck, i even found the rempe-orttman 14.1 match colored by lynch and jones better than you and bill. i think you've been taking the accustat gig for granted.

the business of color commentary has always been unfair. just look at the major sports.

rackmup
09-29-2002, 09:14 PM
With all due respect to Grady:

To complain is more draining than work, long hours and demanding days. Complaining is a sacrifice to one's self while giving thanks to opportunities is a sacrifice to an even higher authority.

As we become a positive example, we create new opportunities and a new World around us. Complaining in such a public forum isn't the example that those who dole out opportunity are looking for.

We must learn to endure and not to complain.

Changes come. We must adust and adapt. It's simply the world we live in.

Regards,

Ken (learned something valuable today, of even greater importance than most things. I also know that often times, life doesn't seem fair, otherwise, I would have been at the Open with Kato &amp; the gang. I'm not complaining...fun was had here in Texas at Billy Weir's)

Chris Cass
09-29-2002, 09:19 PM
Hi Grady,

I'm sorry you didn't get the commentary position as promised. I think it was wrong myself. Especially after being promised the position. I don't care too much for the way you had to find out either. Pat or someone from Accustats should have talked to you personally and give you the reasons why you were'nt selected.

I have to disagree with you about Mike Segal though. I happen to like what he has to say on the tapes I've seen. I think he did pay his dues in the pool world and maybe moreso.

Nevertheless, I think the main problem with you that I can see is, your a loose cannon. I don't mean this to be disrespectful and nothing about your commentary either. This is just what I think. What if Pat did something you didn't like? Would you blast him without talking to him first? That's an easy one.

Grady, please take my advice and just think before you go off. Take a day to really understand what your doing. If you feel the same the next day then, do it. Your a fine person and have heart too. Why not be yourself and talk to someone about this anger inside?

By the way, I don't care too much for Billy's commentary. He's ok and works it as professional as he can. I respect that but he really can't commentary. IMHO What I'd like to see is new blood in there. Maybe, Steve Ferraro? I listened to him and he knows what he's talking about. Maybe, Cory, or Earl? Couldn't you just hear Earl? HAHAHAHA

Anyway best of luck Grady,

C.C.

09-29-2002, 09:30 PM
Harold, Please do not quote text unless it is necessariy for the reader's understanding of your response; and if it is necessary, please edit the quote to include only the parts you specifically are responding to.

This makes it easier and less time consuming for the readers and requires them to do less scrolling. Thank you.
Forum Moderator.
(my account was shut down, probably because of some behind the scenes complainer.)

09-29-2002, 09:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: rackmup:</font><hr> I also know that often times, life doesn't seem fair, otherwise, I would have been at the Open with Kato &amp; the gang. <hr></blockquote>Actually, life is quite fair. You get out of it what you put in. If you tell the truth, truth tends to come back to you, etc. I'd say that you didn't get to the open actually shows how fair life really is.

rackmup
09-29-2002, 09:43 PM
(that really confused me. I know, I know...it's not hard to confuse me but I'm confused nonetheless.)

Regards,

Ken (not anonymous)

09-29-2002, 10:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Grady:</font><hr> Every time over the last 10 or so years that a desirable or good paying job has become available doing commentary on pocket billiards, I have never been selected.

AND YOU NEVER WILL AS LONG AS YOU KEEP UP THAT SELF-FUFILLING PROPHESY.

Hall, Cardone, Davenport, Varner, Sigel, Mizerak, Hopkins, just to name a few were all selected at one time or another to do TV commentary.
LOOK AT YOURSELF, YOUR NOT PHOTOGENIC.

I had been told days earlier that I would be working the finals.
BY WHO?

If Cardone and Varner or Cardone and Buddy had been picked, I wouldn’t have liked it because it’s my turn (I’ll be 60 in two months). SINCE WHEN DOES THAT JOB GO IN TURNS? WHAT DOES YOUR AGE HAVE TO DO WITH YOU GETTING THAT JOB?

But Sigel and Wych I find offensive. They haven’t gotten in there and paid their dues like I have. WHAT DUES? IT'S NOT YOUR CALL. PAT HIRES WHO HE WANTS.

Anyway, I quit Accu-stats and gave them a quick cussing out, which did make me feel a little better.

HOW COULD YOU QUIT SOMETHING YOU DIDN'T HAVE. LOL.

ACTUALLY, WHAT YOU JUST DID WAS BURN ANOTHER BRIDGE, WITH A LITTLE LUCK IT MIGHT JUST BE A PARTIAL BURN.

KEEP THIS PUBLIC GRIPING UP, AND BURGER KING WON'T TOUCH YOU WITH A 10' POLE TO BE A COUNTERPERSON.
<hr></blockquote>Everything that happens to you is because of you. Don't blame others. Take charge of your own life. SlimJim

PS 1st reply to rackmup was me also.

09-29-2002, 10:29 PM
Gee...Thanks for making me read your dumbass response and wasting my time.

09-29-2002, 10:59 PM
For ten years I have been buying Accustat tapes. The commentary for the most part has been intersting and entertaining but the only truly professional part has been the players. I love the tapes and hope to get them at least another ten years. Pat has continually worked to upgrade the quality and professionalism of the video but I would venture a guess that the regular commentators have spent more time playing pool and covering bets than they have taking classes to become professional broadcasters. Not that I'm complaining because I find their commentary and unpolished and imperfect mannerisms enjoyable. But it is easy to tell they are amatures. IMO Mark Wilson expresses himself best. Cardone has a tendency to be overbearing and arrogant. Buddy Hall is just great! Grady always poor mouths about how little money there is in pool and how great his expenses are. Why don't he get a job if he is so unhappy with his elected profession? His knowledge of the game and love for it is tarnished by his behavior. The fact of life is that the more mainstream pool becomes so will the demand for more professional broadcasters.

09-29-2002, 11:58 PM
Hi Chris,

It's probably none of my business, being relatively new to this forum and having never meet Mr. Mathews or Mr. Fleming, but it seems to me that "ya dance with them that brung ya," even if they are a loose cannon. All too many times I've seen good people rubbished because it's "What have you done for me lately?"

I certainly don't know the circumstances behind the TV telecast, but let's admit that Mike Sigel has the name recognition and record - advisor to "The Color of Money," THE player of the 1980s with over 100 wins - that would appeal to non-pool players. Do I think that's fair? Hell no! But the business of America is business, right? We can't have anything stand in the way of that, and certainly not loyalty.

Like I said, I don't know the circumstances and I have nothing against Mr. Sigel, who in my opinion, having learned much from Irving Crane, is the best player of the modern era, but it is worth thinking about.

Posting the beef here at the forum? Well, I don't know. I better not say anything on that, having taken it to Bob Meucci for what I saw as an injustice.

All the best,
Bob

Warren_Lushia
09-30-2002, 06:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Grady:</font><hr> Every time over the last 10 or so years that a desirable or good paying job has become available doing commentary on pocket billiards, I have never been selected, although I am popular among knowledgeable people. Each occasion where something has arisen through Accu-stats, Incardona was chosen over me. Hall, Cardone, Davenport, Varner, Sigel, Mizerak, Hopkins, just to name a few were all selected at one time or another to do TV commentary.

<hr></blockquote>

grady, i don't know what you were told, but the announcers for the pay per view event were released over 6 weeks ago. you were never on the list. incardona, wych, and sigel were announced august 5 in this press release:

http://www.azbilliards.com/2000pressrelease.cfm?id=56

warren..

Wally_in_Cincy
09-30-2002, 06:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> (my account was shut down, probably because of some behind the scenes complainer.) <hr></blockquote>

Good.

How was that?

09-30-2002, 09:01 AM
I guess that pretty much puts it to rest.

Grady
09-30-2002, 09:32 AM
I have been loyal to Accu-stats for some 13 years. The pay hasn't been enough to even handle my expenses at tournaments.I've hawked, hyped and promoted the Accu-stat product up one side of this country and down the other. So all the stuff about my being a loose canon just isn't true. It took me 13 years to complain and quit.
As for Sigel, please don't make me say things I'll later regret. Let's just say that he took care of some undesirable personal habits way over and above loving the sport.He hasn't done two or three hundred Accu-stats tapes like I have or gone to events with very sub-par pay and terrible prize money like I have, just because I was asked to, by Accu-stats.
Cardone is a gambling thief, albeit a relatively high class one. What I could say about him would shock everyone on this board but I don't really care any more what the general public thinks of me. My record as a player and a human being speak for themselves:
A. I've promoted 19 major tournaments, without incident and all were paid fully.
B. I directed more than 40 events, again without incident.
C. I have written for industry publications for years.
D. I hired more than 15 pros to do exhibitions at my pool rooms and helped legions of others obtain quality work, etc.
What tournaments have Cardone and Sigel promoted or directed? I NEVER got any work or heard of any other pro being helped by these two.
Wych is a Hearn henchman and crony, nothing more.
What's the point of continuing? I refuse to have to further justify my beliefs or actions to people I hardly know. Goodbye

09-30-2002, 09:39 AM
What's the point of continuing? I refuse to have to further justify my beliefs or actions to people I hardly know. Goodbye

.... EXACTLY.... Doug

rackmup
09-30-2002, 09:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Grady:</font><hr>What's the point of continuing? I refuse to have to further justify my beliefs or actions to people I hardly know. Goodbye <hr></blockquote>

The opinions of those you refer to as "people I hardly know" must have been important to you, considering the post outlining your unhappiness here on the CCB, as well as the same post being pasted onto two other prominent billiards message boards.

If we don't "matter", why share all of the grief with us?

Perhaps a counselor trained at dealing with these very issues is the one you should be voicing your complaints to.

Your knowledge of the game is without question. I have only seen two of your videos (which helped my game to a small degree) and as for your commentating ability, I have never heard your "work".

I'm guessing that whatever transpired at the Open and your subsequent response to it was more of a "knee jerk" reaction than a well thought out plan of dealing with the issues in a more professional manner.

Bridges should never be burned as one never knows if the path beyond it is a dead-end. It is far more desirable to be able to return on a firm foundation of support rather than on the hot embers of destroyed relationships.

Respectfully,

Ken

09-30-2002, 10:47 AM
Grady, do you want a little cheese with that whine. You just may have bit off your nose to spite your face and burned all your bridges. Oh well. Your loss. Next time get it in writing.

09-30-2002, 11:18 AM
I'm sure I'll offend some here, but that's ok, I've done it before. Grady, I'm sure that you have reason to feel upset or cheated by Pat &amp; crew, and with all you've done for pool, probably feel like you should get a better response from the people here when you post how you feel. However, most of the people here are league players and fun players, and generally scoff at the ideas that the "players" here present. This is evident by all the posts by people who know little to nothing about pool flaming you for speaking up. There are a few people on this board who have been around pool for a while (I'm making a poor attempt at being P.C. here - I think I'm trying to say that there are a few people on this board who have a clue), but it's only a handful. The rest typically flame anyone who have opinions other than the ones shared by people who's major exposure to pool has been at the local bar playing APA league pool (or similar). Good luck in your future promotions, Grady.

Wally_in_Cincy
09-30-2002, 01:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Joe Bloe:</font><hr> I'm sure I'll offend some here, but that's ok, I've done it before. Grady, I'm sure that you have reason to feel upset or cheated by Pat &amp; crew, and with all you've done for pool, probably feel like you should get a better response from the people here when you post how you feel. However, most of the people here are league players and fun players, and generally scoff at the ideas that the "players" here present. This is evident by all the posts by people who know little to nothing about pool flaming your for speaking up. There are a few people on this board who have been around pool for a while (I'm making a poor attempt at being P.C. here - I think I'm trying to say that there are a few people on this board who have a clue), but it's only a handful. The rest typically flame anyone who have opinions other than the ones shared by people who's major exposure to pool has been at the local bar playing APA league pool (or similar). Good luck in your future promotions, Grady.
<hr></blockquote>

Hey Joe,

Your comments sound fairly condescending. You might be a lot better player than a lot of the folks here and you might know a lot more about pool but you have to admit one thing - people read and post here because they care about the game. I wish more people cared enough about the game to discuss it and try to find ways to make it better.

And Grady doesn't give a dam what we think. He just likes to blow off steam sometimes hoping he'll find a sympathetic ear.

09-30-2002, 01:38 PM
It probably is a bit condescending. As far is Grady blowing off some steam, perhaps that is the case, but some things should be said. It just so happens that Grady has said a lot, so when he says something now, the general response is, "oh there he goes again", without any consideration of WHAT it is he's saying. I'm not saying that I agree 100% with what he's saying because I don't know the entire story, but having been around pool at this level for quite a while, I can say that I think there are some things that aren't right, and the people who know about them best SHOULD speak up and say something. However, it seems what happens is that the few people who do feel the need to speak up when they think something is wrong are generally dismissed as "complainers" and "whiners", and whatever they have to say is completely ignored ... especially when the audience that is being spoke to is comprised, mainly, of people who aren't in full understanding of the subject. In this particular case, what has ended up happening is that many people have dismissed anything Grady posted to point out the fact that "he's always whining." They don't know enough about the subject to make any other comment, but they want to be part of the conversation, so what is critiqued is Grady's character, and not the subject of the original post he made. If this hits home for some of you, what can I say? I'm only stating what I feel is the truth. You're all entitled to your opinion, and this is mine.

09-30-2002, 01:41 PM
I must admit to being a bit surprised by some of the responses to this thread.

In my mind, Grady is simply our best commentator. He is knowledgable, witty, and full of stories. Off tape, he may be a little too colorful, but he's always been quite professional while working.

Some posters mentioned that he rarely actually commentates the match, and just spends all his time berating Incardona. I have never found this to be the case. What he does do is find a good balance between instruction, commentating, and story-telling.

I don't know exactly what went down with Accu-Stats and Grady, so I can't say that he is - or they are - right. But I'm a little saddened that many people on this board are not acknowledging what he has done for pool commentary. He at least deserves that.

- Steve Lipsky

ted harris
09-30-2002, 02:38 PM
Warren, P.I. to the rescue yet again!
Good job!

09-30-2002, 02:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Grady:</font><hr> As for Sigel, Let's just say that he took care of some undesirable personal habits way over and above loving the sport.

Cardone is a gambling thief, albeit a relatively high class one. <hr></blockquote> I understand that you may have joined Segal in some of his "habits" on occasion, and Cardone has offered you a spot to play so should you really be complaining about them? Slim

Nostroke
09-30-2002, 03:23 PM
Thats low Grady-bringing up ancient history about Siegel because you are upset he was selected over you. Even if you had a reason to be mad at him, which you dont or certainly havent shown here, a MAN sticks to the issues and argues them- He doesn't bring up irrelavent mud. You have always claimed to be honorable, something most honorable men do not need to claim, but there it is- in black and white, that you are not!

09-30-2002, 03:30 PM
Teddy The DEEEEEE! You disappoint me! I picked you to win the CCB tournament! Did you even play?

09-30-2002, 06:59 PM
I did not know the general public even knew you existed.

09-30-2002, 07:14 PM
The problem is Grady has NEVER contributed one thing to this board. He just wants to use it for his own ends, such as his most recent post. He has done nothing to earn any respect here. There in are the responses he gets. He comes off like a fool most of the time he decides to post here. Why should anyone here care about him? I have been to and played in his tournaments. He is an honorable guy and his heart is in the right place. All most all here know him are from his posts and as they say perception is everything.

Tom_In_Cincy
10-01-2002, 07:54 AM
Grady,
I will miss you expert commentary. Your history of being a player, promoter, tournament director, instructor, video productions and story teller are un-equalled as far as I am concerned.. Accustats has lost a "gem" and will not be the same without you.

I am looking forward to your future tournaments..

Good Luck Sir