PDA

View Full Version : McConnell Votes Against Highway Bill

DiabloViejo
03-16-2012, 09:59 PM
Mitch McConnell Votes Against Highway Bill He Said He’d Work To Pass
By Josh Israel on Mar 16, 2012 at 5:40 pm
Think Progress (http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2012/03/16/446394/mitch-mcconnell-highway-bill-flip-flop/)

In early March, the Laborers’ International Union of America launched a radio and mail ad campaign aimed at prodding Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) and Speaker of the House John Boehner (R-OH) to pass the Moving Ahead for Progress in the 21st Century Act, a highway and transportation bill.

Their ads, focused on Kentucky and Ohio, included children singing “America’s bridges falling down, all around the country ,” to the tune of the song “London Bridge is Falling Down.” A narrator warned:

The average age of a U.S. bridge is 45 years, dangerously close to the life span of 50 years. More than a quarter of our bridges are structurally deficient or functionally obsolete. Because of tight budgets, bridge maintenance is in jeopardy. and if Republican leaders in Congress have their way those budgets will get cut even more. Text “Bridge” to 69866 and let Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell know we need a real highway bill to save our bridges and our lives.

This got the attention of McConnell’s staff, who posted a refutation (http://www.teammitch.com/attack-alert-you-hear-children-singing-about-bridges-falling-down-on-the-radio) on his campaign website . McConnell professed his support for the highway bill and slammed Laborers for its support of Democratic candidates and the “radical” Occupy movement.

“Contrary to the assertion in the ads,” McConnell’s staff claimed, “Senator McConnell has been working to pass the highway bill in the U.S. Senate, which is currently slated for a vote on final passage next week.” A McConnell spokesman also told a Louisville, Kentucky radio station that the minority leader was working with Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) to pass the highway bill.

Just before the vote, McConnell took to the senate floor and praised the lead sponsors , Sens. Barbara Boxer (D-CA) and Jim Inhofe (R-OK) for their bipartisan effort. “They have worked together in a collegial way to bring us to this point on the highway bill,” he raved.

Moments later, McConnell joined 21 other Republicans — and no Democrats — in voting against (http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=112&session=2&vote=00048) the bill . The House is expected to take up a similar version in April , rather than the far inferior House Republican version.

McConnell’s office did not respond to a request for comment on why he voted against a bill he’d pledged to support and no explanations were apparent on his senate or campaign websites. But it would certainly appear that the Republican leader owes the Laborers an apology.

eg8r
03-17-2012, 02:15 PM
While I don't disagree the fact that we need to keep our infrastructure safe, I am just wondering what has the money for these bridges been spent on all these years? For 45 years we have done absolutely zero bridge maintenance and now all of a sudden they are all in danger of collapsing?

eg8r

cushioncrawler
03-17-2012, 03:59 PM
Praps the fighter-bomber industry kood komment.
Do bridges hav an office in washington.
What duz the usofa constitution say about bridges.
Praps newt kan divert some funding from building bridges on the moon.
What do mormons think about bridges. What duz the The Holey Bible say.
Do bridges need an extra lane for the growing numbers of mutant Catholiks.
mac.
Delta smelta watching.

Qtec
03-18-2012, 05:22 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">While I don't disagree the fact that we need to keep our infrastructure safe, I am just wondering what has the money for these bridges been spent on all these years? For 45 years we have done absolutely zero bridge maintenance and now all of a sudden they are all in danger of collapsing?

eg8r </div></div>

Ask Bush. He tripled the Nat Debt and the country is still falling apart.

Q

Qtec
03-18-2012, 05:36 AM
So you agree that ,

"For 45 years we have done absolutely zero bridge maintenance and <span style='font-size: 14pt'>now all of a sudden</span> they are all in danger of collapsing?

eg8r"

The average life span for bridges is 50 years! Should you wait for them to collapse before you do anything?

Try and keep up!

Never mind, the GOP have a plan.

Bring the country to its knees by slashing budgets and investment. The worse the state of the country, the better their chance of taking over the WH.

In the last 3 years, the GOP have done more damage to the recovery of the USA [ after the DISASTER they GW BUSH handed over to Pres Obama ] than anyone could.
These are facts.

They don't care what effect their slash and burn polices have on American citizens.

They don't care.

Q

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">New figures released today by the Bureau of Labor Statistics showed that Wisconsin led the nation in <span style='font-size: 26pt'>job loss</span> in 2011 under the Tea Party extremism of <span style='font-size: 26pt'>Scott Walker.</span><span style="color: #990000"> Republican POSTER BOY!!!!!!!!!!!</span>

Wisconsin was badly outpaced by not only neighboring states in the Midwest, but also by states in areas where the Recovery has not been as robust.

From January 2011 to January 2012, Wisconsin lost 12,500 jobs, even as the nation as a whole added jobs for 17 straight months.

"We have never led the nation in job loss and today we have evidence that Scott Walker has led Wisconsin to this ignominious mark," Democratic Party of Wisconsin Chair Mike Tate said Tuesday. "Whether it's failed leadership on mining legislation, destroying high-tech industries, salting the earth for vocational training, cutting spending on 21st Century education or turning his back on infrastructure investment, Scott Walker has shown the nation how NOT to create jobs. This shameful fact is one more reason he must be replaced." </div></div>

Qtec
03-18-2012, 05:46 AM
link (http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2012/03/16/mo-gop-senate-candidates-dont-know-the-minimum-wage/)
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Mo. GOP Senate Candidates Don’t Know the Minimum Wage</div></div> .....but they were all against raising it!!!!!!!!!!!

Idiots.

eg8r
03-18-2012, 12:07 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The average life span for bridges is 50 years! Should you wait for them to collapse before you do anything?

Try and keep up!
</div></div>What do you mean "keep up"? Sorry dillhole, I did not know you couldn't comprehend what you read. Let's see if I can break it down for you real slowly...<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r keeping up</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am just wondering what has the money for these bridges been spent on all these years? </div></div>Sorry stupid, but I was very well caught up. Money has been allocated for these bridges for the past 50 years, I am asking what have the politicians been doing with this money the whole time. It is a rhetorical question and I knew you were too stupid to comprehend it. They were out using that money for things other than the intended purpose. They did not put any money aside for a rainy day, because they know they have idiots like you that would agree to a tax increase in the future should they need to repair anything.

eg8r

eg8r
03-18-2012, 12:08 PM
No one needs to know the minimum wage. If you are against it then you are against it no matter what the rate is. Why do you fail so miserably on common sense issues?

eg8r

DiabloViejo
03-18-2012, 06:05 PM
These facts were compiled from various sources around the Internet. The more research that you do into America's decaying infrastructure the more depressing it becomes.

Yet when President Obama proposes a plan to put money into fixing all of this while providing people jobs, everyone gets all up in arms!

I hope those same people like traffic, failing bridges, pot holes, flooding, and dam failures.

Read it and weep:

One-third of America's major roads are in poor or mediocre condition.

Traffic on more than half the miles of interstate highway exceeds 70 percent of capacity, and nearly 25 percent of the miles are strained at more than 95 percent of capacity.

Americans waste 4.2 billion hours and 2.8 billion gallons fuel a year sitting in traffic – equal to nearly one full work week and three weeks’ worth of gas for every traveler.

Over the next 30 years, our nation is expected to grow by 100 million and highway traffic will double again. Even if highway capacity grows no faster than in the last 25 years, Americans can expect to spend 160 hours – 4 work weeks – each year in traffic by 2035.

Nearly a third of all highway fatalities are due to substandard road conditions, obsolete road designs, or roadside hazards.

Over 4,095 dams are "unsafe" and have deficiencies that leave them more susceptible to failure, especially during large flood events or earthquakes.

Rolling blackouts and inefficiencies in the U.S. electrical grid cost an estimated $80 billion a year.

By 2020, every major U.S. container port is projected to at least double the volume of cargo it was designed to handle. Some East Coast ports will triple in volume, and some West Coast ports will quadruple.

Other countries are leapfrogging past us by investing in world-class ports. China is investing $6.9 billion; the port of Shanghai now has almost as much container capacity as all U.S. ports combined.

By 2020, China plans to build 55,000 miles of highways, more than the total length of the U.S. interstate system.

According to the U.S. Department of Transportation, more than 25 percent of America's nearly 600,000 bridges need significant repairs or are burdened with more traffic than they were designed to carry.

More than a third of all dam failures or near failures since 1874 have happened in just the last decade.

All across the United States, conditions at many state parks, recreation areas and historic sites are deplorable at best. Some states have backlogs of repair projects that are now over a billion dollars long.
Everything is falling apart. (http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/archives/everything-is-falling-apart-20-facts-that-you-will-not-want-to-read-if-you-still-want-to-feel-good-about-americas-decaying-infrastructure)

And here is a link to an article from the Washington Post (July 27, 2011):

Decaying infrastructure costs U.S. billions each year, report says
Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/decaying-infrastructure-costing-us-billions-report-says/2011/07/27/gIQAAI0zcI_story.html)

eg8r
03-18-2012, 09:08 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">These facts were compiled from various sources around the Internet. The more research that you do into America's decaying infrastructure the more depressing it becomes.
</div></div>Good job, you can copy and paste, now why don't you answer some of the questions posed in the thread instead of regurgitating someone else's work.

eg8r

DiabloViejo
03-18-2012, 09:37 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">These facts were compiled from various sources around the Internet. The more research that you do into America's decaying infrastructure the more depressing it becomes.
</div></div>Good job, you can copy and paste, now why don't you answer some of the questions posed in the thread instead of regurgitating someone else's work.

eg8r </div></div>

Fair enough. Please ask me whatever you want regarding the subject of the thread, and I will gladly, and politely, offer you up my own personal views on the matter. I'm not working any angles or anything of the sort, so just ask me a question, or questions, and I will answer candidly and civilly.

Qtec
03-19-2012, 12:25 AM
Where the money went is not the point. I was just pointing out that after 45 yrs of neglect, its not surprising that bridges with a 50 yr lifespan are in danger of collapsing.

Q

cushioncrawler
03-19-2012, 01:00 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where the money went is not the point. I was just pointing out that after 45 yrs of neglect, its not surprising that bridges with a 50 yr lifespan are in danger of collapsing. Q</div></div>After years of neglekt the usofa might kollapse before the bridges kollapse.
mac.
Delta smelta watching.

Qtec
03-19-2012, 02:52 AM
The US is collapsing from the inside out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bankrupt U.S. county’s ‘gold-plated’ sewers spur war on water costs </div></div>

link (http://business.financialpost.com/2011/11/16/bankrupt-u-s-countys-gold-plated-sewers-spur-war-on-water-costs/)

Q

eg8r
03-19-2012, 08:30 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where the money went is not the point.</div></div>Yes we know, facts are not what you seek.

eg8r