PDA

View Full Version : Foreclosure Law Firm Fires 14 For Wearing Orange

Qtec
03-21-2012, 01:16 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Florida Foreclosure Law Firm Fires 14 For Wearing Orange

Fourteen employees of a Florida law firm that specializes in foreclosure were summarily fired Friday for showing up to work wearing orange shirts. The law offices of Elizabeth R. Wellborn, P.A dismissed the employees even though several said their choice of attire was an innocent plan to match at a planned happy hour.

The law firm represents “institutional and private lenders in the reclamation of titled assets” — working to represent the mortgage lenders who are foreclosing on the homes of Floridians. The Sunshine State has one of the highest foreclosure rates in the nation.

The firm’s website boasts that its “Eviction Department has established key relationships with a network of attorneys that, collectively, expedite processes and keep costs as low as possible” for lenders.

As ABC News noted, Florida is an at-will employment state, meaning employers can dismiss employees for virtually any reason, with few rights or protections for workers. One employee told the Ft. Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel, <u>“I’m a single mom with four kids, and I’m out of a job just because I wore orange today.”</u> The employees reportedly were given no severance pay. The firm told the Sun-Sentinel that it had no comment on the firings.

It seems Elizabeth R. Wellborn, P.A. specializes in expediting both throwing people out of their homes and out of their jobs. </div></div>

If an employer can fire a worker any time for no reason, what kind of stress does this put on the worker?
Does this lead to exploitation?

Q

llotter
03-21-2012, 02:41 AM
Its called the 'free market' and freedom is a good thing. Whether you are buying products or services, the beauty of the market is that the seller must satisfy you and meet your needs in order to get your business or you will decide to take your business elsewhere. The communist way is oppressive and inefficient.

Qtec
03-21-2012, 03:09 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its called the 'free market' and freedom is a good thing. </div></div>

So the worker having no rights and the employer having all the rights is freedom?

For whom?

Q

LWW
03-21-2012, 03:25 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its called the 'free market' and freedom is a good thing. </div></div>

So having no rights is freedom?

Q </div></div>

Do you have a fifth grader who can explain this concept to you?

Qtec
03-21-2012, 03:51 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you have a fifth grader who can explain this concept to you? </div></div>

LOL. Why don't you give it a try.

Q

LWW
03-21-2012, 11:52 AM
I have tried ... but my mind simply cannot descend to your level.

But ... I'll give you a hint.

Do the employers have rights?

eg8r
03-21-2012, 12:24 PM
Seems pretty crazy.

eg8r

cushioncrawler
03-21-2012, 04:12 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: llotter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its called the 'free market' and freedom is a good thing. Whether you are buying products or services, the beauty of the market is that the seller must satisfy you and meet your needs in order to get your business or you will decide to take your business elsewhere. The communist way is oppressive and inefficient.</div></div>Life etc haz nothing to do with market and products and services and seller and bizness.
Only a stupid would define existance and good with the above.

Life and freedom shood be talked about in terms like happyness, and health, and environment and future and happyness.

But apparantly we are all here to honor adore obey and worship and die for the free-market & products & services & sellers & bizness.
mac.

llotter
03-21-2012, 05:21 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its called the 'free market' and freedom is a good thing. </div></div>

So the worker having no rights and the employer having all the rights is freedom?

For whom?

Q </div></div>

If you decide to hire your nephew to mow your lawn instead of your neighbors boy who had done a good job for several years, has some sort of injustice been perpetrated? I fired Carbonite and hired Mozy to do the backup on my laptop. Does Carbonite have some sort of prior claim on my business that I must satisfy?

I changed car brands after years of misplaced loyalty to one brand...am I within my rights or should I have to file some justification in triplicate for some bureaucrat to oversee and approve or not.

The miracle of the marketplace is that billions of such decisions are made everyday by individuals spending their own money and in every case, for whatever their reasons, the best quality at the best price rises to the top. And the reason is that the seller of either products or services, including labor, cannot force the transaction in the sellers favor.

Where the seller has been successful in creating legal recourse, usually through contract, most often through unions, it works toward raising prices and lowering quality, thus lowering efficiency and increasing poverty.

LWW
03-22-2012, 01:31 AM
Pearls before swine my friend.

Qtec
03-22-2012, 06:43 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you decide to hire your nephew to mow your lawn instead of your neighbors boy who had done a good job for several years, has some sort of injustice been perpetrated? </div></div>LOL

Good analogy....not!

If you hire a contractor to build you a new garage and you sign a contract, can you you dismiss him just because he wears the wrong colour of socks?

If you did, what would happen?

Q

Qtec
03-22-2012, 06:46 AM
Your idea of freedom is slavery! How weird is that!

Q

llotter
03-22-2012, 06:55 AM

For whom?

Q </div></div>

I should have also added that sellers/employees are free to sell their services to the highest bidder so it is very common that people change jobs to better their circumstance or because the hate their boss or for whatever reason or no reason. The buyers of those services/labor, have no rights to the labor of anyone who decides to make such a change and must perpetually shoulder the burden of staffing with the best employees.

It is exactly these freedoms and risks that created the dynamism, the exceptionalism, that built this great country, rising from near last to first among nations in the first 120 years of our existence.

LWW
03-22-2012, 07:18 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you decide to hire your nephew to mow your lawn instead of your neighbors boy who had done a good job for several years, has some sort of injustice been perpetrated? </div></div>LOL

Good analogy....not!

If you hire a contractor to build you a new garage and you sign a contract, can you you dismiss him just because he wears the wrong colour of socks?

Q </div></div>

You answered your own question when you said a contract exists.

LWW
03-22-2012, 07:19 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your idea of freedom is slavery! How weird is that!

Q </div></div>

Really?

Were these poor souls chained to their desks or something?

Any links to support this risible claim?

What's that?

It was hyperbole that you pulled from a nether orifice?

Imagine that.

eg8r
03-22-2012, 07:46 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you hire a contractor to build you a new garage and you sign a contract, can you you dismiss him just because he wears the wrong colour of socks?

</div></div>I will use a quote of your own in response...<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good analogy....not!
</div></div>None of the employees in your thread had a contract in place. They were just regular ole employees.

eg8r

LWW
03-22-2012, 08:58 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you hire a contractor to build you a new garage and you sign a contract, can you you dismiss him just because he wears the wrong colour of socks?

</div></div>I will use a quote of your own in response...<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good analogy....not!
</div></div>None of the employees in your thread had a contract in place. They were just regular ole employees.

eg8r </div></div>
According to Snoopy ... if they were to find a better job they would be treating their prior employer like a slave.

Further ... I'm sure that if they were skilled employees they could have signed an employment contract for a lower wage.

Having a contract protects the employer as they know the employee can't leave and it helps the employee as it adds a guarantee of future employment for the specified time.

Not having a contract also benefits the employer as they pay a little more but have the option to terminate the employee that they wouldn't have under a contract ... and it protects the employee as they always have the option to leave available if they feel they find a better deal.

But, getting an economic fascist to comprehend how a free market works is obviously challenging.

llotter
03-22-2012, 09:27 AM
It is more than challenging. After years of posting here about how markets work, the Left is just as blind as ever. Savage is right when he says that those on the left have a mental disorder that simply blocks out exculpatory evidence.

LWW
03-22-2012, 09:38 AM
You can lead a man to knowledge, you can't make him think.