PDA

View Full Version : How Fox News Makes You Stupid!

DiabloViejo
03-21-2012, 09:25 AM
Watch the video:
How Fox News Makes You Stupid (http://youtu.be/1MjRV-UTs9o)

DiabloViejo
03-21-2012, 09:59 AM
And here's another example of Fox lies via Hannity:
Hannity caught lying (http://youtu.be/h172eAPdPFo)

LWW
03-21-2012, 11:55 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DiabloViejo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Watch the video:
How Fox News Makes You Stupid (http://youtu.be/1MjRV-UTs9o) </div></div>

So Obama lied and you blame FOX?

Soflasnapper
03-21-2012, 01:08 PM
Did Obama even misstate, let alone lie, about the ending of the Bush tax cut date, under law?

Well, no. Clearly that was entirely true.

Perhaps you meant to say that when Obama said the insurance company execs were doing what they do not because they were bad people, THAT was the lie?

(Note, Obama's remarks left open the possibility that they were bad people, just not doing what they do for that reason, since money was also involved.)

What IS a lie is Hannity's claim to honor and respect the presidency as an institution. At a minimum, that would involve calling a man holding that honor 'President (insert name here),' as all decorous speakers honoring that office would say.

DiabloViejo
03-21-2012, 01:10 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DiabloViejo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Watch the video:
How Fox News Makes You Stupid (http://youtu.be/1MjRV-UTs9o) </div></div>

So Obama lied and you blame FOX?

</div></div>

LMAO, you are so weak! Anyone who watched the video knows who is lying. Nice try at the old "baffle 'em with bullshit ploy" but you just struck out, better luck next time.

Soflasnapper
03-21-2012, 01:11 PM
How Fox News Makes You Stupid

A slight demurral from that construction.

Watching Fox News makes you WRONG, FROM IGNORANCE (quite often). That anyone would watch them as a sole source for accurate information requires stupidity aforethought.

Chicken/egg thing.

Basically agreeing with the thought still, however.

cushioncrawler
03-21-2012, 03:49 PM
Ignorance.
Stupidity.
Selfishness.

I would like to write something smart here. Not eezy.
Theze 3 are komplicated matters.
I think that there iz good selfishness, and bad selfishness.
Probly aint no good ignorance, nor good stupidity.

It iz probly natural that ignorants attrakt ignorants, and stupids attrakt stupids, and pretty soon u hav enuff for a party, run by the selfish.
mac.
Delta smelta aint shellfish.

llotter
03-21-2012, 04:44 PM
It wouldn't be safe to rely on either Jon Stewart or MSMBC for accuracy so why would anyone do it. Their versions are likely to be highly edited and since I don't want to search for the original, I'll just assume that the idiots on the Left are incorrect again.

Soflasnapper
03-22-2012, 08:43 AM
Nobody should forget that comedians exaggerate for effect, with Stewart, who runs on Comedy Central, for Gawdsakes.

I have seen MSNBC or Keith on rare occasions edit things in a way that supports a meme they are pushing on a current event that is questionable, and/or wrong, or just make errors. So while they are no examplars of reporting inerrancy, neither do they report the entirely opposite of what happened, as the example from Hannity stating the president said the insurance execs were 'bad people' was exactly opposite the truth.

But reporting and polling show the typical MSNBC viewer consumes other news sources on cable, several others, whereas the Fox News audience tends to be unipolar, watching nothing else, and therefore in the cocoon and at the mercy of what must be the most blatantly propagandistic lying news of all in the field.

You'd have to go back to Soviet run news services like Tass to get anything comparable to the lying that goes on routinely at Fox.

llotter
03-22-2012, 09:04 AM
The best way to present evidence supporting your thesis would be to link the original source rather than second-hand sources that are unreliable and not credible.

Most conservatives believe that the MSM is heavily biased to the left and there are few islands of fair and balanced news of which Fox is one so quite naturally they don't tend to bounce around just to intake the lies and bias from the Left.

There are, on the net, a growing number of well informed sites that are on the Right and Fox viewers are certainly among their significant users of those. Of course, being on the 'Right' is in fact the correct view so there isn't a lot of sense in attempting to add balance by mixing in what is wrong.

Soflasnapper
03-22-2012, 11:21 AM
The Pew survey most look to as a guide to these matters shows that 30% of conservatives do view other cable or network news channels other than just Fox. However, those self-identifying as 'staunch conservatives' do not, and that is the oldest cohort of the various 'conservative' groups (who collectively as Fox News viewers, AVERAGE 65 yo, the oldest demo of the cable news networks), who are also far less likely to be using the web for robust information collecting.

I do not know of any real attempts at objective fact-checking from the right, as Brent Bozell's MRC is very weak period, and in no way objective, and the rest, so far as I know, are partisan bloggers and such who make no pretense of objectivity.

I'd be interested to have any you can think of referenced, as I do like to browse around the strange contours of what passes for thinking on the right. Which accounts for why I listen to right wing radio hosts, and also watch several Fox news shows weekly. I credit Chris Wallace and Shephard Smith as performing credible news reporting-- outside of these exceptions, not so much over there.