PDA

View Full Version : Bragging a little - 4 ball skill contest

SPetty
09-29-2002, 01:27 PM
Okay, I spent all day Friday at the State Fair of Texas, where you can find at least three of the four-ball pool carnival games to play and win prizes! They rack up balls 1 through 4 in a diamond on the foot spot. You break and run them in order. No combinations allowed. Call your pocket.

I’ve never played it before, but I have a history of standing and watching, much to the chagrin of who(m?)ever I’m with… I watched a fellow drop, what the carny said was something like $250 to win two stuffed animals! Whew! He’d come close each time, but wouldn’t give up until he won!

Well, you can rest assured that I’m not gonna make a fool of myself like that!

My stake horse (okay, my sister, who thinks I shoot well because I can beat her 12 year old son…) decided to stake me for five $2 games. You can play a $2 game for a small prize, a $5 game for a larger prize, or a $10 game for the big prize (which is what the guy who dropped the $250 was playing…)

Well, (excuses, excuses, excuses) the table was in the corner near the tent poles which got in my way and made me miss, the tables were too close together so there wasn’t room for my butt so I couldn’t get close to getting down to line up the shot so I missed, I scratched on the break, I didn’t have a shot on the one ball, and I scratched while going from the three to the four. Five up – five down. Quick, easy, I suck… /ccboard/images/icons/frown.gif

So… many hours (and many beers) later, we came across another one. Much friendlier staff. Watched a few guys break and run right in front of me. So, on that table, with that cue, I decided I could do it. Once my stake horse saw my change in confidence, she put up another $10 for me to play. Before I even played, the carny said “I’ll tell you what… I’ll give you ‘3 for 5’” – three games for $5, which would give me six games to make a fool of myself instead of just five. Then he added “If you win any of the first three games [the first $5 worth], I’ll give you a five dollar prize” (which you may recall is a bigger prize than the $2 prize). So, he racked up the four balls, and I broke and ran and won! How cool is that??!? I picked out a three+ foot long alligator, which will spend it’s time protecting the area under the pool table…

So, I had three more games to play. I scratched on the first game while going from the three to the four /ccboard/images/icons/frown.gif. But, I came back and after getting a real lucky roll from the one ball to the two ball in the next game, broke and ran the next two for the grande finale. So I traded in those two smaller prizes for a big dog! How fun!

Now my sister is really fooled into thinking that I know how to play this game!

Anyway, just had to brag a little. I never thought I’d be able to play that game, but after getting over the willies, I won 3 out of 4 games. WooHoo! I’d recommend: If you have a chance, take the chance.

09-29-2002, 01:33 PM
I love watching those State Fair pool games ... Folks will sink a ton of cash just to get a 2.00 chinese stuffed animal

How do you like those Schon cues , brunswick gold crown tables , brunswick cent. balls , and simonis cloth they use ? lol yea right Not to mention the tent poles

Chris Cass
09-30-2002, 08:19 AM
Hi Anon,

Truth be told, the tables aren't level, you have to shoot with their crooked warped logs they call sticks, the table is full of debree flying around and shimmed pockets. SPetty, did a great job. I tried it once with Heide and my son. He wanted a stuffed animal. The guy told me I couldn't use my cue and after I soft broke and ran them out he told me, "here's your animal and he wanted other people to play and asked me to move along." I told him, "I'd give him $10. if he broke and ran 3 balls instead of the 4." He declined my offer, what jerks.

Regards,

C.C.

Scott Lee
09-30-2002, 08:28 AM
Chris...I'm pretty sure Anonymous was being sarcastic! LOL As for Susan's good play (and a little luck)...WAY TO GO! I look forward to seeing the alligator at the PettyPoint Pool Hall, next time I come through Dallas!

Scott