PDA

View Full Version : Worst general in US history is...?

Soflasnapper
03-25-2012, 01:48 PM
General Douglas McArthur, says Tom Ricks, here. (http://ricks.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2010/06/02/the_worst_general_in_american_history)

Much to and fro on the comments, with this or that general said to be the worst, no the greatest!, by different people or by using different standards.

For instance, Benedict Arnold is second on the list, although except for that treason thing, he was evidently a great general.

I thought some of the military history buffs here might enjoy the discussion.

And the woofing and ad hominem is familiar (you should read a book! No, you should read a book! I'm almost finished with my PhD! Good luck with your on-line degree! Etc., LOL!)

LWW
03-26-2012, 03:09 AM
George Brinton McClellan ... hands down.

Soflasnapper
03-26-2012, 08:37 AM
He made many of the lists.

Wasn't McClellan the guy who was asked by Lincoln, 'General, if you aren't going to use the Army, can I have it?'

LWW
03-26-2012, 12:16 PM
Yep.

General William Childs Wastemoreland was a close second IMHO.

Douglas MacArthur was a great general ... it's his acts of treason that I detest.

cushioncrawler
03-27-2012, 09:02 PM
I thort that in korea when the usofa woz loozing mac woz replaced by a good general and the usofa started winning again.
mac.

LWW
03-28-2012, 05:39 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thort that in korea when the usofa woz loozing mac woz replaced by a good general and the usofa started winning again.
mac. </div></div>

That was the t treason part ... MacArthur wanted Truman to nuke the Chinese and that led to his being relieved of command.

MacArthur had pushed the limits of available forces and some believe this was to force Truman's hand in OK'ing a nuclear strike.

cushioncrawler
03-28-2012, 07:17 AM
My memory iz that the new good replacement general simply got the usofa soldiers (tanks and tank crews aktually) to go out and do what they had been trained to do -- they went out and they kicked arse.
Poor old dugless had somehow lost the plot.
mac.