PDA

View Full Version : Minding my own business

Tampa Kathy
03-26-2012, 03:37 PM
I was one of the better women playing pool several years ago around Tampa. I got sick and haven't played much for a while.
I was practicing at Fatso's, a room by the interstate. Some guy wanders in with his whole entourage, the requisite girl and his own private cue case carrier, some doofus lugging about 3 cases at once. This guy goes all around the room asking people to play.
I make a shot, stand up to walk around the table and nearly step on him. He asks me to play, I say I'll practice for a while, but no money, I'd just quit working for Buddy Hall at another pool hall in town and needed to watch the bank roll. Ok, he wanted practice, he said.
We went back and forth for a while, I held my own. His GF wandered off to a mall to spend money. Who knows where the cue jockey went.
GF comes back and wraps around this kid like an anaconda. He's going to take her to dinner or sparks will fly.
He comes over to me, apologizes, and tells me he has to go or she makes a scene. He asks me to stay on the table, he wants to keep on playing. I say ok and watch her haul him out the door.
I get a little history on this guy while he's gone. Some kid had come to Florida and absolutely killed the winter tour. Fla has a tour that goes all over the state in the winter and early spring, and this guy had won every one he entered. He'd also won the U S Open in Va and something in either Vegas or up in Ct.
Ok, now I knew what I was up against. It was him, one of the usual railbirds had been to several of the tournaments.
He came running back into the room, putting his stick together as he got to the table. He racked the balls. I broke and ran the rack... 7 times. He was whining that it wasn't fun after about 5 games. I told him it would take a couple of games to come back down from dead stroke. As I was ready to break rack 8, one of the regulars managed to stand in my way so I couldn't break with enough room. I finally didn't make a ball on the break and he got to shoot.

Rich R.
03-26-2012, 07:54 PM
Did he give you any name?
Did he speak with an accent?
What did his girlfriend look like?

Trying to figure out who you were playing.

If you can break and run 7 racks, why aren't you playing in the WPBA?

Curious minds need to know.

Fran Crimi
03-27-2012, 12:04 AM
There's no point to this story.

Sid_Vicious
03-27-2012, 12:38 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fran Crimi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There's no point to this story. </div></div>

I have to agree Fran. sid

Fenwick
03-27-2012, 07:54 AM
Time keeps on ticking, into the future. I just lost 120 seconds reading fluff.

Fran Crimi
03-27-2012, 09:32 AM
Doooooo doop, doot doot doo doo.

Eric.
03-27-2012, 10:00 AM
Tampa Kathy,

Are you related to JJFSTAR/John Fischer?

Eric &gt;separated at birth, methinks

Rich R.
03-27-2012, 02:08 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fran Crimi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There's no point to this story. </div></div>
I was wondering how far she would carry the lie.
It appears she gave up quickly.

Deeman3
03-27-2012, 07:29 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tampa Kathy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was one of the better women playing pool several years ago around Tampa. I got sick and haven't played much for a while.
I was practicing at Fatso's, a room by the interstate. Some guy wanders in with his whole entourage, the requisite girl and his own private cue case carrier, some doofus lugging about 3 cases at once. This guy goes all around the room asking people to play.
I make a shot, stand up to walk around the table and nearly step on him. He asks me to play, I say I'll practice for a while, but no money, I'd just quit working for Buddy Hall at another pool hall in town and needed to watch the bank roll. Ok, he wanted practice, he said.
We went back and forth for a while, I held my own. His GF wandered off to a mall to spend money. Who knows where the cue jockey went.
GF comes back and wraps around this kid like an anaconda. He's going to take her to dinner or sparks will fly.
He comes over to me, apologizes, and tells me he has to go or she makes a scene. He asks me to stay on the table, he wants to keep on playing. I say ok and watch her haul him out the door.
I get a little history on this guy while he's gone. Some kid had come to Florida and absolutely killed the winter tour. Fla has a tour that goes all over the state in the winter and early spring, and this guy had won every one he entered. He'd also won the U S Open in Va and something in either Vegas or up in Ct.
Ok, now I knew what I was up against. It was him, one of the usual railbirds had been to several of the tournaments.
He came running back into the room, putting his stick together as he got to the table. He racked the balls. I broke and ran the rack... 7 times. He was whining that it wasn't fun after about 5 games. I told him it would take a couple of games to come back down from dead stroke. As I was ready to break rack 8, one of the regulars managed to stand in my way so I couldn't break with enough room. I finally didn't make a ball on the break and he got to shoot. </div></div>

Don't you hate when this happens? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Bambu
03-28-2012, 06:04 AM
Whoa Dee, good to see u still with us!

Deeman3
03-28-2012, 09:07 AM
Bambu,

Thanks, I've just played the part of "lurked" for a while!

Tampa Kathy
03-31-2012, 12:28 PM
I'm not in the WPBA because I was hospitalized for 6 months soon after that. I started having seizures which are barely controlled by medication. I can't drive while on the meds, I don't have the reaction time.
I've been working in pool rooms for 30 years in Tampa. Buddy, Steve Cook (now dead), Tommy Kennedy, Goose Conway, Gene Catron (now dead), Wade Crane, Efren Reyes, Jose Parica and a number of others know me well. I've played Buddy, Goose and a number of others in local tournaments. I've played many more men than women.
Believe what you want... who cares.

Tampa Kathy
03-31-2012, 12:36 PM
Also, I played this kid about 5 years ago. The GF was blonde. He was about 5'9", average build, and I can't remember his name. The guy carrying his cues was older and shorter and balding.
I have a serious seizure condition. I was on life support in Tampa General Hospital for a week several weeks after I met this kid. I just don't remember his name, it was wiped from my memory somehow during a seizure.

Eric.
04-02-2012, 10:48 AM
Tampa Kathy,

Maybe you would be interested in telling us a lil more about yourself. I understand ppl being skeptical about stories on the Interwebs...

Where do you play? Tampa? Palm Harbor? Clearwater/St Pete? Strokers? Crooked Cue?

Eric

Tampa Kathy
04-02-2012, 05:53 PM
I play in Tampa and at the Flamingo in St Pete. I had to stop playing for a while because of my health. I've worked at Bakers, Fatso's, the Cue Club, and a couple of other pool rooms in Tampa. I'm 60. I didn't really take up pool until I was in my 30's. I went the usual route of local league stuff, got better, got lucky and knew some of the local gambler types that could be killers if they could adjust to 9 ft tables, went to 8 ft tables, got better, went to the Cue Club and met Gene Catron, who used to do the domino trick on Jay Leno, Johnny Carson, etc. He introduced me to Buddy Hall, who became a good friend. A tournament circuit came through the area soon after that and I met 60 or so more players. I was a regular watching tournaments on the Fla Pro circuit after that. I learned through watching for a while and started practicing with better players. I've worked with Steve Cook. Benny (the Goose) Conway and his wife are close friends... I used to drive 20 miles to pick them up to get them to a pool room. Tommy Kennedy and I are good buddies. T R McIntosh is one of the several people I've worked for in his pool rooms. He has had several rooms in the Tampa area over the years. Jay Flowers was a friend. He made custom leather cue cases here in the Tampa area. He died of cancer.
I also have a bunch of friends at a pool room in Melbourne Fl. I used to get hauled along with TR and whatever pro he was backing in matches and have to do the driving back.
I like to do banks, especially multi rail, 2, 3, 4, and 5 rail shots. Strickland quit show boating one time in Tampa, got a beer and watched me do every shot he had just done, only faster. I didn't miss one either, unlike him. Wade Crane has used me to do trick shots he set up, just by telling me what stroke to use (draw, follow, etc) when the guys were having one of those "bet you haven't seen this one" nights at pool rooms. I'm 5'10 and have a man's shoulders. I have a break like King Kong. I worked as a gardener, Fed Civil Service, for years until I screwed my back up. I took up pool to start with because I needed to strengthen my back.

Tampa Kathy
04-02-2012, 06:01 PM
Also, the one time I played in a WPBA Tournament I went undefeated the first day and won my first match the second day. This was when Bonnie Hoffman was the champion at the time. She was my second match. I'd been till 5 AM the night before, had 2 hours of sleep and was falling asleep during the match. It was at Bakers in Tampa. I worked there and the owners wouldn't let me go home till most of the debris was cleaned up. The owner's wife was very close friends with Corinne Hoffman. I couldn't even get a cup of coffee if I paid for it during the match and the deal I had with the owners was that if I worked there I at least got coffee free. I still finished tied for 5/6 with 64 players.

Deeman3
04-02-2012, 07:31 PM
John Schmidt?

Tampa Kathy
04-03-2012, 12:24 AM
If that's the name you came up with for the guy I played, then that might be him. I remember that he won a bunch that year. He said he was having fun when he left with the girl to take her to dinner. About the 4th or 5th rack after he came back he said it wasn't fun any more.
Goose Conway was my regular playing partner. I learned a lot from him.

Qtec
04-03-2012, 03:53 AM
She described him as small. Is JS small?

I don,t know having only seen him on videos.

Qtec

Rich R.
04-03-2012, 05:48 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body">She described him as small. Is JS small?

I don,t know having only seen him on videos.

Qtec </div></div>
John is not a large guy but I wouldn't call him small either.
He is about 5'10" tall, at least, and he is slim.

enjoydgame
04-03-2012, 07:43 AM
You must have to be more clear while talking these kind of things.

Deeman3
04-03-2012, 08:41 AM
Well, John is small to me! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Could not think of a noter US Open winner that always has a gal in tow and can be a little hyper. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif I do hate playing him in tournaments as the guy just does not miss.

Tampa Kathy
04-03-2012, 04:56 PM
That's about my height. He was eye level to me.
Hey, my brother is 6'4" and his son is 6'6". Lots of men look small to me.
I played this guy a month or so before I started having the seizures. For some reason the seizures wiped my memory of some things. His name was something that was wiped. I remember playing him, just not what his name was. Like I said, I was on life support for at least a week. After that I was drugged up in intensive care for a month in the neurology ward at Tampa General Hospital. Then in a nursing home learning to walk again. I'm lucky I remember my name, much less anyone else's.

Eric.
04-03-2012, 05:06 PM
Kathy,

So, you played on the WPBA, ran with some known road players and have been around Pool for a while.

Whats your real name?

When did you play the WPBA?

I am an acquaintance of a few WPBA players, present and past. In fact, one of my acquaintances was with the WBPA from the start, played for years and might know you.

I'm only asking this cuz a lot of us are curious if you are for real. You know how it is, the Interwebs and all...

Eric

Tampa Kathy
04-03-2012, 05:13 PM
Kathy Keegan
I didn't play more than 1 tournament WPBA. It may not have been fully sanctioned. I don't know. Entry fee was $100. Bonnie and Corinne both played and I'm pretty sure both were members of the WPBA. It was more a state tournament than a national one. I know Ewa Mataya, too.

Eric.
04-04-2012, 10:29 AM
Hmm, interesting. CAnt say that tourney rings a bell. Maybe it was before the WPBA Classic tour? Regional qualifier?

Anywho, thanks for sharing.

Eric

Rich R.
04-05-2012, 04:36 AM
I got the following pictures of John Schmidt from Google. Is this the guy you played?

http://www.internationalpooltour.com/Images/Players/John_Schmidt.jpg

http://www.insidepoolmag.com/wp-content/uploads/john-schmidt-predator-strai.jpg

Tampa Kathy
04-05-2012, 03:27 PM
That could be him. He looks about the same, especially the second picture.
I do play pretty strong. Run pool rooms for 25 years and it rubs off on you.

Deeman3
04-05-2012, 05:28 PM
I thought so as it sounded like John.

SpiderMan
04-05-2012, 05:53 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rich R.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got the following pictures of John Schmidt from Google. Is this the guy you played?

http://www.insidepoolmag.com/wp-content/uploads/john-schmidt-predator-strai.jpg </div></div>

I think I saw him and one of his buddies in my neighborhood last week. They were both on bicycles, wearing slacks, white shirts, and ties, and one of them gave me a bible pamphlet.

SpiderMan

Rich R.
04-06-2012, 05:21 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SpiderMan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I think I saw him and one of his buddies in my neighborhood last week. They were both on bicycles, wearing slacks, white shirts, and ties, and one of them gave me a bible pamphlet.

SpiderMan </div></div>
You never know. It could have been John. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/whistle.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Tampa Kathy
04-06-2012, 06:48 AM
http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/2tBDtw/:1LWVQ_-og:1OjBVgri/www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xw5a37Q_QRo/

He is here in the blue shirt playing in the US Open. That's the guy I played. All I heard of his name was John.

Rich R.
04-06-2012, 10:54 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tampa Kathy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/2tBDtw/:1LWVQ_-og:1OjBVgri/www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xw5a37Q_QRo/

He is here in the blue shirt playing in the US Open. That's the guy I played. All I heard of his name was John. </div></div>
That is John Schmidt, the same guy in the pictures I posted above.

Deeman3
04-06-2012, 05:37 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SpiderMan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rich R.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got the following pictures of John Schmidt from Google. Is this the guy you played?

http://www.insidepoolmag.com/wp-content/uploads/john-schmidt-predator-strai.jpg </div></div>

SpiderMan </div></div>

That was him! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Deeman3
04-06-2012, 05:40 PM
Kathy,

If you give John all he can handle, the heck with the WPBA go for men's tour, whatever it is now! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Rich R.
04-07-2012, 05:30 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kathy,

If you give John all he can handle, the heck with the WPBA go for men's tour, whatever it is now! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </div></div>
"Men's tour"???

Now that's funny. I don't care who you are. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Deeman3
04-07-2012, 07:43 AM
Rich, yep, I get that. The only group of athletes that is so disorganized and poorly led that can't get a regular tour schedule by threat, skill or even displaying their sparkling personalities for all to appreciate.

I have stories about my role in trying to help this but, unlike Kathy, I am not willing to suffer the AZ type backlash by critiquing the past and present efforts.

I have often taken swipes at the women's tour for the requirement that they all applaud when a shot is attempted, no matter the outcome! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif However, they at least are able to maintain both an audience as well as some soft of relationship with ESPN, a trick the men have not mastered despite having a few very good tournament directors such as Mark Griffin and Greg from Diamond. Remember the god awful string of guys who have tried to lead the players?

I do not expect to witness a real Men's Tour managed by adults in my lifetime!

Deeman3
04-07-2012, 07:46 AM
By the way, I do have high hopes for the spread of Diamond's DCC format to Tunica and beyond. If a sharp group of guys like that can grow their tour, things may work out for the future.

Tampa Kathy
04-07-2012, 10:59 AM
They have a tour still? Buddy is wandering around looking for joints to play in... God knows where Goose is hid out... I catch a glimpse of Strickland sometimes, usually looking ticked off... Kennedy retreated up north... the Filipinos dance through sometimes...

There wasn't any cold weather for them to run from this year down here.

One more thing, the Men's tour probably wouldn't let me play. I went through that crap trying to play in league garbage while I was still learning. I'd play a game with an organizer so he could see if I was good enough and he'd quit me half way through a game. Then he'd huddle up with one of his buddies and they would turn me down. The witch's coven of women's league here in Tampa turned my stomach.

Tampa Kathy
04-07-2012, 11:49 AM
Maybe they need a woman to babysit them. If it's a paid job I could handle them. Any nitwit can stand up and tell them to quit whining. I helped run a few down here. We might need to import Ewa for the glamor factor...

Rich R.
04-07-2012, 07:15 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rich, yep, I get that. The only group of athletes that is so disorganized and poorly led that can't get a regular tour schedule by threat, skill or even displaying their sparkling personalities for all to appreciate.

I have stories about my role in trying to help this but, unlike Kathy, I am not willing to suffer the AZ type backlash by critiquing the past and present efforts.

I have often taken swipes at the women's tour for the requirement that they all applaud when a shot is attempted, no matter the outcome! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif However, they at least are able to maintain both an audience as well as some soft of relationship with ESPN, a trick the men have not mastered despite having a few very good tournament directors such as Mark Griffin and Greg from Diamond. Remember the god awful string of guys who have tried to lead the players?

I do not expect to witness a real Men's Tour managed by adults in my lifetime!

</div></div>
Deeman, I couldn't agree with you more except for the part about the WPBA having a relationship with ESPN. The only relationship they have is that the WPBA is willing to pay ESPN to cover their tournaments. The state of affairs in pool today is really sad. I'm hoping for the best in all the efforts being made by Mark Griffin and Greg Sullivan. They are definitely the most trustworthy guys to step up and lead the pack.

Deeman3
04-07-2012, 08:57 PM
Rich,

We are both on the same wavelength! Maybe one day it will improve.

Fran Crimi
04-08-2012, 08:53 AM
I don't think the WPBA actually hands over a check to ESPN for tv coverage. The WPBA has to produce and edit the broadcast, which is where the cost is, and the production company has to meet ESPN's production quality standards.

Rich R.
04-08-2012, 03:47 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fran Crimi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't think the WPBA actually hands over a check to ESPN for tv coverage. The WPBA has to produce and edit the broadcast, which is where the cost is, and the production company has to meet ESPN's production quality standards.
</div></div>
Fran, thanks for clarifying the details. I wasn't sure exactly how it worked but I did know that the WPBA pays to have it done and that is a lot more than any men's organization is willing to do.

Deeman3
04-09-2012, 01:48 PM
If you remember this started when Bob Mackie gaveESPN a list of "Requirements" but they basically said, "Hey, the women are reasonable, the men not!"

The level of professionalism has always been higher as they didn't have to worry about drunk players, cursing and other issues with the women.

Tampa Kathy
04-11-2012, 12:46 AM
I could name some of the professionalism problems. Some of players I knew needed a nanny.

zazab
04-12-2012, 02:21 AM
Ok I like !!

Tampa Kathy
04-12-2012, 01:22 PM
I've seen shots attempted where both the cue ball and object ball wind up on the floor. If some nitwit expects me to applaud that they can see the reason I didn't join WPBA.

Sid_Vicious
04-12-2012, 02:31 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tampa Kathy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've seen shots attempted where both the cue ball and object ball wind up on the floor. If some nitwit expects me to applaud that they can see the reason I didn't join WPBA. </div></div>

What's the point,,,again? sid

Tampa Kathy
04-12-2012, 06:40 PM
A rounded piece of roughened leather attached to a cue stick.

enjoydgame
04-13-2012, 01:34 AM
Absolutely you did a great job Fran, you have given a relevant clarification.

Sid_Vicious
04-14-2012, 12:32 AM
"A rounded piece of roughened leather attached to a cue stick."

Cathy, Cathy, "What's the point,,,again? sid"

Tampa Kathy
04-14-2012, 05:40 AM
You started it.

DickLeonard
05-06-2012, 06:14 PM
Deeman is that you posting. Nice to see were both on the same time Stretch is on.Dick

DickLeonard
05-08-2012, 01:52 PM
Deeman you have hit the nail on the head.####

Sid_Vicious
05-08-2012, 02:00 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tampa Kathy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You started it. </div></div>

We haven't heard an "intellegent" answer from you yet. Oh BTW, you started this whole thread. It was idiotic to begin with, and remains in the same trend. sid

Deeman3
05-09-2012, 11:36 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DickLeonard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Deeman you have hit the nail on the head.#### </div></div>

Dick,

My friend! I hope you are doing well. I miss your wise incite and the great stories of playing other greats in history. The NPR side just got to nasty for my blood.

DickLeonard
05-10-2012, 10:26 AM
Deeman are you still making autos in Alabama? Dick

Deeman3
05-10-2012, 02:46 PM
Dick,
No, I retired about six months ago to help take care of my step-father who has Altheimers. I am traveling to a few tournaments but not winning many! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Tampa Kathy
05-11-2012, 10:48 AM
So far, the only idiocy has been you attacking me, for no reason whatsoever.

DickLeonard
05-11-2012, 05:37 PM
Deeman sorry to hear Stepfather I had my cataracs operated on now my vision is twenty-twenty. Except I am closing in on 75 so I really have nothing to complain about. I really get turned off by the speed posters too. ####

Rich R.
05-12-2012, 07:01 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tampa Kathy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So far, the only idiocy has been you attacking me, for no reason whatsoever. </div></div>
Whoa!!!
Although you directed this post to Deeman, I just reviewed this thread and I don't think anyone here, especially Deeman, attacked you. We all just tried to figure out who you played and, if you beat him, why you aren't playing pro pool.
I guarantee you, if you go on other forums and start this same thread, you will really be attacked.

Deeman3
05-12-2012, 09:54 AM
Rich,

Thanks. As you know I am loathe to attack anyone except perhaps Not So Fast Larry on occasion! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Dick.
Glad to hear your vision is better and I think you have many more years at 75. Like you, the hit and run posters plus them driving Wolfdancer away keeps me from posting on the NPR side. I love disagreement but don't like hate towards anyone.

Tampa Kathy
05-12-2012, 11:28 AM
Not Deeman, but Sid Vicious hasn't been polite yet. If that garbage hasn't been attacks, the definition needs to be changed.I monitored boards and a chat room at another site for another sport (horse racing) and I would have tossed someone for repeatedly calling someone else an idiot out of the blue.
It was John Schmidt.
I'm not playing pro pool because I have a seizure condition now and the meds are tough to deal with. I still play well enough, but I'm no longer allowed to drive. The meds don't keep you very alert. I get to pool rooms now if one of my friends drags me along with him.

Rich R.
05-12-2012, 12:33 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tampa Kathy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not Deeman, but Sid Vicious hasn't been polite yet. If that garbage hasn't been attacks, the definition needs to be changed.I monitored boards and a chat room at another site for another sport (horse racing) and I would have tossed someone for repeatedly calling someone else an idiot out of the blue.
It was John Schmidt.
I'm not playing pro pool because I have a seizure condition now and the meds are tough to deal with. I still play well enough, but I'm no longer allowed to drive. The meds don't keep you very alert. I get to pool rooms now if one of my friends drags me along with him. </div></div>
You should have directed your post to Sid, not Deeman.

Tampa Kathy
05-21-2012, 04:10 PM
I'm sorry, I'm not that familiar with the workings of this board. I'll try to do better.

DickLeonard
09-08-2012, 04:25 PM
Tampa Kathy I have the same problem, Seizures. I hope your not taking Lyrica. I was dizzy every day I took that med.
tripping downstairs, tripping upstairs.

Deeman is a Southern Gentleman. I am a Northern Genlleman who lives thirty miles from the Greatest Race Track there is. Saratoga.

MaryLou Whitney treats the backtrack workers to Sunday dinner in the infield if the weather is permitting. Bad weather and it is moved under the Grandstands. That is why MaryLou is the Queen of Saratoga.

Dick #### Leonard

dg-in-centralpa
09-09-2012, 05:54 PM
Dick,
I thought the greatest racetrack is Bekmont Park. I've been there 7 or 8 times, although I've never been to Saratoga, I would like to get there. I've been to Churchill and Pimlico not for the Derby but was at the Preakness.

Duane(DG)

DickLeonard
09-10-2012, 12:24 PM
Duane if there is a Triple Crown race the place is jammed other wise it is like dead. The Tavers drew 53000 this year not bad.

The Racinos have pulled in over a billion at the
Big A and Belmont. I don't kown when Saratoga is getting theirs. When that happens you can kiss Atlantic City good-bye. Dick[####]according to the Filth filter.

dg-in-centralpa
09-11-2012, 08:30 AM
You're right Dick, when a triple crown is on the line Belmont is a city, otherwise it's a village. I've been there both ways.One of these days I'll make it to Saratoga.
Duane

DickLeonard
09-15-2012, 10:37 AM
Kathy email Capitalotb.com it's the greatest site sponsored by the state racing board. ####

Cornerman
09-21-2012, 05:36 AM
Just stumbled onto this thread. Did we find out who Kathy is or who she played ? Corey? Mika?

Do I need to go to the Flamingo and ask about her?

Freddie &lt;~~~ St. Petersburgian

Rich R.
09-21-2012, 07:36 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cornerman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just stumbled onto this thread. Did we find out who Kathy is or who she played ? Corey? Mika?

Do I need to go to the Flamingo and ask about her?

Freddie &lt;~~~ St. Petersburgian </div></div>
Fred, although we don't know too much about the OP, I think we did determine that she played John Schmidt. Check on page 2 of this thread.
Let us know if you find out anything about the OP.

Tampa Kathy
09-22-2012, 01:27 PM
Kathy Keegan
Dale knows me at the Flamingo. It was John Schmidt that I played.
I used to work at Northdale and Hot Shots for T R McIntosh and at Fatso's for Bill Amodeo and at Bakers a little bit. I mainly just worked for free time at Bakers, brushing tables and picking up sticks, etc. I worked with Steve Cook several times. I was friends with Tommy Kennedy, Buddy, Benny "Big Goose" Conway, Gene "the Glove" Catron (dead now, lung cancer), Efren Reyes, Jose Parica, Cook (dead now, I think cancer, he went back up to Ohio to his parent's place) Mike Massey (if you ever want to be squeezed to death, run into him when he hasn't seen you in a while, he's almost lethal, damned near broke my ribs last time I saw him). Strickland knows me, but doesn't like me much. Hopkins, too. John Ditoro. A whole bunch more.

Tampa Kathy
09-22-2012, 01:34 PM
Dick, they have me on Depakote and Keppra, 1000 mgs a day each. I go into status epilepticus, which is the most severe seizure. You can actually stop breathing. The first one I went into, the Drs couldn't get me out of it for a week, and I was on life support.

Tampa Kathy
09-22-2012, 01:54 PM
More that know me: C J Wiley, I went with him, TR and several others to Melbourne to play a money match at the Golden Cue against someone. CJ slaughtered him, whoever it was. They took me along to be the official driver on the way home. Whoopee. I didn't manage to run over any alligators, so I must have been somewhat awake.
Jimmy Mataya and Ewa Mataya. Ewa is remarried, Jimmy still lived somewhere near Miami last I heard. Ewa came into Bakers once wanting me to play, but I was running late to work at Fatso's at the time and Bill would not let me off work.

Tampa Kathy
09-24-2012, 03:31 PM
Another one that will remember me is Freddie Yates.
I was running the pool time counter at Hot Shots for T R McIntosh and Freddie was running the kitchen. Then, Freddie got a job offer to cook on a shrimp boat (from what I was told) and left to do that. The cooking was split between both of TR's sons, neither one of which could manage to cook french fries, much less anything more complicated. One night, Brian moped in and got about halfway to the kitchen before he stopped dead. He turned, pointed at me standing by the time computer and asked if I could cook. I nodded my head.
From that moment on I was head cook at Hot Shots.
The next time I saw Freddie, the place was wall to wall busy, with some out of town players in. I heard Freddie say something like he was going to come back and give me a hand. I had 4 cheese burgers, fries to go with them, 2 Philly cheese steaks, an order of 50 wings and all the fixings that went with everything cooking at once. Freddie comes in the kitchen door. He stopped dead. Everything was done, I was just waiting for stuff to actually get done. Buns had lettuce, tomato, etc. The wings platter already had the celery and blue cheese waiting, all sitting in baskets or on plates waiting for the meat to be ready. Freddie just said "Hi", and wandered back out the door.

Cornerman
09-25-2012, 08:41 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tampa Kathy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kathy Keegan
Dale knows me at the Flamingo. </div></div>We called Dale last night, and he couldn't place you.

Are you known by some other name by chance?

Freddie &lt;~~~ unknown

Scott Lee
10-05-2012, 11:43 AM
Kathy...CJ is still in Dallas, and is posting frequently on on another pool site. I'll ask him if he knows you. Jimmy Mataya moved back to MI, and now lives in Vegas. Ewa and Mitch live in SC, and have an APA franchise, among other things. If you're up for some action, I'd be happy to play you some at Dale's place. You may have to spot me, since you drilled John Schmidt, but we can find a game. I'm in the area every April for a month.

Scott Lee

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tampa Kathy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">More that know me: C J Wiley, I went with him, TR and several others to Melbourne to play a money match at the Golden Cue against someone. CJ slaughtered him, whoever it was. They took me along to be the official driver on the way home. Whoopee. I didn't manage to run over any alligators, so I must have been somewhat awake.
Jimmy Mataya and Ewa Mataya. Ewa is remarried, Jimmy still lived somewhere near Miami last I heard. Ewa came into Bakers once wanting me to play, but I was running late to work at Fatso's at the time and Bill would not let me off work. </div></div>

Scott Lee
10-08-2012, 09:20 PM
Kathy Keegan...I asked CJ if he knew you, and he said no. I also asked another regular at Dale's place, and he had never heard of you either. I have asked John Schmidt to comment, but he hasn't responded yet.

Scott Lee

Tampa Kathy
10-10-2012, 04:08 AM
I doubt if Schmidt ever knew my name. He wouldn't want to remember it anyway.
Dale does know me. Tell him I come in with Jimmy Hill sometimes, and I was the person he called when Tommy Kennedy was going to play Earl Kellum at his place. He called me to come over. I did. Earl kicked his butt. Dale and Earl knew me for a long time, all the way from when I was playing bar pool at a place called the Branding Iron on Dale Mabry Highway in Tampa.

Tampa Kathy
10-10-2012, 10:17 PM
Also, I was the one that took over the cooking at Hot Shots from Freddie Yates when he went where ever he went when he left there. I went from working the ball counter to the kitchen when TR's son Brian decided he was too important to fry chicken wings all night. I just talked to TR's wife Andrea tonight and got Freddie's phone number. Now, If someone would tell him he has to recharge that phone of his I can get in touch with him. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Tampa Kathy
10-12-2012, 12:05 AM
Now, the Freddy I keep talking about is "Creole" Freddy Yates, that used to be a director for "The Snap" magazine. Benny "the Goose" Conway wrote for that magazine.

Rich R.
10-12-2012, 07:38 AM
Kathy, you seem to be telling the truth. You are naming people and places and seem to know a lot of what went on in those places. However, no one seems to be able to verify your identity. From my own experience in poolrooms, I know a lot of people but I don't know their real names. Are you known by a nickname or some other name? Maybe these people just don't know your real name.

Tampa Kathy
10-12-2012, 05:45 PM
Kathy, Big Kathy (I'm known for being heavy and having big, er, boobs and grey hair... (Dale will remember me now, tell him that).) I didn't play much at the Flamingo, but I did go occasionally. There was just usually a game going when I did get there. When I do go someone will usually come over to me and tell me what has been going on there recently. The players at the Flamingo know me by sight and start playing better, showing off, when I do show up. They know I can judge a game pretty well.
I just haven't been well and I'm just trying to get back in touch with people. I'm no longer allowed to drive... I have major seizures. The meds keep me from getting out unless someone drives me. (You don't want me driving without the meds, either, I learned the hard way)
I'm just a woman that started playing bar table pool, then that got boring. So I switched to 8' tables. Same thing. Then to 9' tables, snooker, etc as I discovered pool rooms.
I got lucky. While I was switching to 9' tables I met Gene Catron. We got to be friends. He introduced me to Buddy Hall. Buddy introduced me to most of the tournament crowd as I was working at a pool hall one tournament was in, Tommy Kennedy, Mike Massey, etc. I was working for Bill Amodeo, an old straight pool player from the Minnesota Fats era. He had opened a room in Tampa. I eventually argued with Amodeo and mainly retipped cues for bars and pool rooms for several years. I had a regular list of clientele that I did on a regular schedule all over Tampa and St Pete. Several places let me play free for doing their house cues etc, I'd also do a cue for someone with their own cue if they caught me when I was there. I did well enough that I kept myself in a nice apartment in Tampa. I did that days. TR had a place called the Northside up on N Dale Mabry, a main drag in Tampa. I'd go there nights. I got free time there. I taught several youngsters pool basics there. I met a bunch more players there, Benny Conway and his family lived right around the corner. Wade Crane and his wife were good friends, I'd take her grocery shopping, giving Wade time to get some practice in at the pool room. I used to go to tournaments with them around Florida.
Then Amodeo opened another room, and hired Steve Cook and I to work there. I stayed there a while. TR opened another place, I went to work for him there. A lot of these players knew me by sight rather than by name.

Tampa Kathy
10-12-2012, 05:59 PM
In addition to being heavy, I'm also 5'10".
I worked as a gardener on MacDill AFB for 6 years, so a lot of the weight is muscle. I have shoulders like most men. I also break a rack pretty well. I have the muscle power to do it.

Cornerman
10-15-2012, 07:38 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tampa Kathy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kathy, Big Kathy (I'm known for being heavy and having big, er, boobs and grey hair... (Dale will remember me now, tell him that).) ...

A lot of these players knew me by sight rather than by name. </div></div>What about the other pool halls then? Side Pockets? Corner Pockets? Crooked Cue? CJ's?

Freddie &lt;~~~ not that Freddie

Tampa Kathy
10-15-2012, 11:29 PM
I stayed mainly in Tampa. Toward the end of my playing, before I got sick, 5 years ago, I was working most nights. When I got sick, I couldn't drive any more. The kind of drugs the docs have me on you don't want me on the road. I'd be planted on top of a palm tree. I'm stuck down off of S Bayshore in Tampa, close to the base, south of Interbay. There aren't many places to play down here. I've already terrified the one bar player I've seen in the closest bar. He almost hid in the Men's room.

SpiderMan
10-18-2012, 12:59 PM
Hard to believe that you guys have been sitting around questioning this lady and her references for half a year, and yet no Florida members have ventured out to play pool with her.

SpiderMan

Tampa Kathy
10-18-2012, 08:44 PM
I keep telling them where I am, too. Hey, I haven't touched a cue since January. I can't be that terrifying. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
That's ok. I can get back to the Flamingo before too long. My regular ride there hasn't been in state. He just called and said he was on the way back.

Cornerman
10-24-2012, 04:11 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SpiderMan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hard to believe that you guys have been sitting around questioning this lady and her references for half a year, and yet no Florida members have ventured out to play pool with her.

SpiderMan </div></div>i live in the town she days she hangs and nobody recognized her name.

Oil well.

Sid_Vicious
10-24-2012, 04:31 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cornerman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SpiderMan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hard to believe that you guys have been sitting around questioning this lady and her references for half a year, and yet no Florida members have ventured out to play pool with her.

SpiderMan </div></div>i live in the town she days she hangs and nobody recognized her name.

Oil well. </div></div>

And the plot thickens /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif Spiderman is right though. It is hard to believe we've all kept ourselves on the string for this long. What's that phrase??? Oil Well. I like that. sid

Tampa Kathy
10-25-2012, 12:43 AM
And I find it hilarious. I just haven't been out for years. I can't drive any more. I have a guy that will haul me around, but he has been living out of state. He's been sick, too. He's on his way here, but I don't know the exact date he's coming. I'll go over to the Flamingo when he gets here.

Cauzzort Widow
11-09-2012, 06:11 PM
Hey, Kathy, I knew all of those guys you were mentioning. I was married to Barry Cauzzort a.k.a. The Sunshine Kid. I ran Baker's at one time for Mr. Baker that was in 1983. I moved from The Tampa area back in 2009 and really haven't been in the "pool world" since Barry died in 2001.Of course, TR was his stakehorse and so I knew he and Andrea very well.Sad to hear that Gene died. And Steve Cook too...Buddy, Barry and Steve were all best friends.