PDA

View Full Version : US Open PPV Coverage

nmshooter
09-29-2002, 08:35 PM
Well, its over. It was an awesome match with some great safety play. How huge was that kick on the 5? That was tremendous. Both Players played very good, maybe the nerves took hold in the middle games but great play all around. Congrats to Ralf. Good job to Alex. Overall I thought the broadcast was pretty good. Things looked a little amateurish at times (bagpipes and ring girls) and I was discouraged at the end when they made the players speed up because it was getting close to the end of the PPV alotment time. But I am glad they did because I would have really been discouraged if I had not been able to see the last few matches. Good Job, looking forward to next years bigger and better event.

rackmup
09-29-2002, 08:53 PM
I thought the PPV coverage was great. The time-clock issue will be one that I am certain will not die soon.

My ONLY gripe: Strickland wasn't in the finals but something "Strickland-est" was:

Where was Alex during the trophy/check presentation?

Great job Barry and Brady.

Regards,

Ken

Wally_in_Cincy
09-30-2002, 07:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: nmshooter:</font><hr> Well, its over. It was an awesome match with some great safety play. How huge was that kick on the 5? That was tremendous. Both Players played very good, maybe the nerves took hold in the middle games but great play all around. Congrats to Ralf. Good job to Alex. Overall I thought the broadcast was pretty good. Things looked a little amateurish at times (bagpipes and ring girls) and I was discouraged at the end when they made the players speed up because it was getting close to the end of the PPV alotment time. But I am glad they did because I would have really been discouraged if I had not been able to see the last few matches. Good Job, looking forward to next years bigger and better event. <hr></blockquote>

What in the world were they thinking. They ran those 2 absolutely inane, imbecilic interviews before the match (the questions were stupid, not the players) and then ran short of time during the match. I thought it was very unfair to ask the players to speed up in this incredibly important match. You know somebody was sweating big time at 9:48 p.m. and it was about 8-8. If they had run out of time it would have been an absolute travesty. Why did they risk it?

09-30-2002, 09:40 AM
as a first-try shoestring effort, i think the ppv was easily worth the money. ido think the boys got too excited about telling everyone how wonderful they used to be and forgot that they were there to cover the action, not be it. yes, that silly "game girl" was chewing gum while walking around with her sign.

how in the world is a bunch of fat cops playing bagpipes a tribute to anything besides dunkin donuts?

is there any way to find out how many people subscribed for the match? did they make money on it? i certainly hope so.

yes, there were flaws and it was pretty amateurish but what the heck. it was live top level pool. easily worth the money.

dan...just don't tell me what happened on the sopranos.

09-30-2002, 09:52 AM
i thought the funniest line of the night was when, at the end, they were holding up the big cardboard 30K$ check and berman is muttering..."um...i'll sign that later."

dan

09-30-2002, 10:14 AM
Wally, I agree with you. Those interviews were stupid to say the very least. Almost as stupid at the ringside girls walking around chewing gum and showing as much flesh as possible... What were we watching, a pool match or WWF? The organizers of ppv did not do very good time management. I find it truly unfair to the players to instigate the shot clock at such a pivital point in the match. Luckily they were able to adjust their games. And we got to witness a fantastic match. Hopefully the organizers will learn for next time.

Wally_in_Cincy
09-30-2002, 10:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: houstondan:</font><hr> i thought the funniest line of the night was when, at the end, they were holding up the big cardboard 30K$ check and berman is muttering..."um...i'll sign that later."

dan <hr></blockquote>

Ha ha. I didn't catch that. I thought the funniest thing was Wych trying to get a word in edgewise between the two motormouths.

If the viewership turns out to be 10,000 or more we'll hear about it. Less than that and it will not be publicized. I predict the latter. However I'm sure every pool hall that had access to the PPV bought the $100 package. That probably brought in as much revenue as the $9.95 viewers.

SPetty
09-30-2002, 11:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: houstondan:</font><hr> as a first-try shoestring effort, i think the ppv was easily worth the money. <hr></blockquote>Yes, I agree. Almost three hours of non-stop, non-commercial-interrupted pool. When I attended previous WPBA matches, there were always pauses put in for future commercials. These guys just kept playing and playing and playing...

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: houstondan:</font><hr> i do think the boys got too excited about telling everyone how wonderful they used to be and forgot that they were there to cover the action, not be it. <hr></blockquote>Yes, and don't forget the ever-present "Now, folks, that was not an easy shot." I must have heard that maybe 140-150 times last night...

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: houstondan:</font><hr> yes, that silly "game girl" was chewing gum while walking around with her sign. <hr></blockquote>You did recognize, didn't you, that there were two different girls? /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: houstondan:</font><hr> is there any way to find out how many people subscribed for the match? did they make money on it? i certainly hope so.<hr></blockquote>If anyone gets these numbers, please let us know.

Doomsday Machine
09-30-2002, 11:30 AM
Dan, I think the comment that Brady made "I'll sign it later" was referring to the fact that Ralf Souquet's name was not imprinted on the check (that was the only thing not filled out). Of course these oversized checks are non-negotiable and are only for the media.

I also thought it was unfortunate they had to start the time clock late in the match. Whoever set up the broadcast rights should have worked out the possibility that the match would go the distance and that an exact time that the match would end is difficult to predict, like a baseball game !!! Sometimes a baseball game is over in 2 hours and 10 minutes and sometimes lasts for 4 1/2 hours, a race to 13 in 9-ball can be over quite quickly or could last awhile. All-in-all it was a great match and showed how pressure can effect even world class players.

09-30-2002, 12:59 PM
The bagpipes are one thing I didn't miss , by not going this year ... arghh Usually everyone in the stands is looking at each other thinking "hurry the hell up" ..

A week or so down the road ... after all the replays have been done on the ppv ... someone please post how ppv sales went , I've very curious