PDA

View Full Version : Accustat's 'Arena Rules'???

Soflasnapper
03-31-2012, 05:51 PM
http://www.accu-stats.com/arenarules.pdf

Wonder if you've heard of these match-play rules?

Seems to be almost old-style push-out 9 ball rules (for 10-ball), except the extra push-outs aren't every turn, but only when the low ball is hidden from the cue ball (unless as a result of an opponent's push-out, when it can just be given back).

Also, sudden sudden death, in a race to 11, when any tie score from 7-7 on becomes a premature hill-hill situation?

Not sure I understand it all. Apparently it goes back to later last year. Anyone see a match under these rules?

Next Friday Accustats is running an Appleton/Immonen race to 13 under these rules (not sure when the sudden sudden death kicks in, but by similar 'earliness,' one might guess as of 9-9).

Rich R.
04-02-2012, 04:34 AM
IIRC, in world rules for 10 ball, anytime there is a bad hit, the incoming player has the option of giving the shot back.

With that said, I don't think these AccuStat rules match the world rules. I know the ABP has been pushing certain rules, that don't match rules used anywhere else, and I'm wondering if these are rules proposed by the ABP.

Frankly, I don't get this sudden death rule. To me, a race to 11 is a race to 11 and it isn't hill-hill until it is 10-10. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

Eric.
04-02-2012, 10:46 AM
Pat Fleming has been using these rules (or some incarnation similar) for some time now. I think it's fine, for a non tournament situation. The 30 sec shot clock keeps the match moving along. Also, the mandatory push out after the break ensures that the breaker won't just run out, without feedback from the opponent.

All in all, it's a nice twist, IMO.

Eric

Fran Crimi
04-02-2012, 01:11 PM
I think the rules go back at least a year. Pat told me last year that his experience with them is that the players are very positive about the rules and actually have enjoyed playing with them.

Anyone who knows Pat knows that he doesn't do anything arbitrarily. He puts a lot of thought into things, and any conversation with him will tell you that there was a specific reason for creating each rule.

Soflasnapper
04-02-2012, 03:52 PM
I am likewise unsold on the early death/sudden death angle here. We have Barry going the opposite way (win by 2, except he's now capping off that exercise a bit).

To me, this would only be acceptable if there were extra sets to go. A premature hill-hill with no second (or further) set would actually rip off the paid audience (somewhat), wouldn't it?