PDA

View Full Version : Stocks End Best Q1 Since 1998

DiabloViejo
03-31-2012, 07:15 PM
Mar 30, 2012 4:44pm
Stocks End Best Q1 Since 1998
ABC News (http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/business/2012/03/stocks-end-best-q1-since-1998/)

Go ahead and open that 401(k) statement. The first quarter was the best for stocks since 1998, with the Standard & Poor’s 500 up 12 percent since the start of the year.

That’s quite a start for stocks after 2011, which saw most major indexes about flat for the year. An improving jobs picture and strong corporate profits boosted nearly all types of equities. The tech-heavy Nasdaq rose 19 percent in the quarter, led by that powerhouse Apple, which rocketed 48 percent so far this year. The Dow Jones industrial average finished the quarter with an 8 percent gain.

More than $3.6 trillion has been added to U.S. stocks since the S&P 500 fell to the year’s low in October, according to data by Bloomberg. Stocks have more than regained the ground they lost in the market meltdown of 2008.

The Dow Jones industrial average rose 66.22 points, or 0.50 percent, today to 13,212.04. The Standard & Poor’s 500 Index gained 5.19 points, or 0.37 percent, to 1,408.47. The Nasdaq Composite Index dipped 3.79 points, or 0.12 percent, to 3,091.57.

“Conditions have improved compared to last quarter, with the US economy showing signs of acceleration and European policymakers moving further along the path of progress. With the bearish tone receding, investors should consider moving into “risk” assets and out of “safe” assets, especially on pullbacks,” the investment firm BlackRock said in a commentary on its web site.

LWW
04-01-2012, 05:08 AM
Isn't it amazing what a change of the people who control spending bills can do to an economy.

Just a whiff of good news brings a little help.

Imagine if we removed the fascist regime entirely?

eg8r
04-01-2012, 12:58 PM
Is this good news for the left or not? I am referring to the fact that when stock market goes up those fat cats on Wall Street make more money.

eg8r

Soflasnapper
04-01-2012, 01:30 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Isn't it amazing what a change of the people who control spending bills can do to an economy.

Just a whiff of good news brings a little help.

Imagine if we removed the fascist regime entirely? </div></div>

If that were true (it's not, of course), it would be a definitive argument to keep O in office, as the GOP is LOUSY at controlling spending when they have the White House and majorities in Congress in both houses. They only function well in this regard to control DEMOCRATIC PARTY presidents' spending. When it's one of their own, they use the 'matador' defense-- sweeping the cape, and stepping aside.

cushioncrawler
04-01-2012, 05:02 PM
Do windows in Wall Street still open.
mac.

cushioncrawler
04-01-2012, 05:03 PM
Probly a bit rusty by now.
mac.

cushioncrawler
04-01-2012, 05:10 PM
Lemmesee. I think we hadda Black Tuesday and a Black Thursday. Saturday and Sunday are out of course.
Praps next time we kan hav a Black Monday or a Black Wednesday or a Black Friday.
But Black aint proper -- we need a new word.
mac.

DiabloViejo
04-01-2012, 06:17 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is this good news for the left or not? I am referring to the fact that when stock market goes up those fat cats on Wall Street make more money.

eg8r </div></div>

I don't know about "the left" but I can only say that I am not against corporations as a whole.

I am against continuing the folly of "too big to failI". If you're too big to fail, then you don't have a right to exist. If you failed you'd take down the country. Why should we be held hostage to their fortunes?

I am not against corporations. I am against those that buy my government, and in many cases, actually write our laws. I want an end to that travesty of jurisprudence called "Citizens United" and I want it done after a frank and fair exchange and by a constitutional amendment.

I have a portfolio, and so does my wife. It's all properly allocated and invested. So I have a vested interest in the market's performance, and the integrity of the companies I do business with.

Just recently a former Goldman-Sachs executive's parting shots at an ingrained culture, where among other things, investors..long term clients of the company, were referred to as muppets, cost the firm $2.5 Billion in lost business.. and rightly so.