PDA

View Full Version : a distortion of pro-life values.

Qtec
04-03-2012, 02:03 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style='font-size: 11pt'>Georgia State Rep Votes Against Radical Anti-Abortion Measure, Citing Daughter’s Experiences</span>

Rep. Ron Stephens (R-GA)

From a credit downgrade last year to global warming, the Republican push for ideological purity has already had far-reaching impacts on the country. One emerging problem with the purity test is that it is very easy to fail, for conservative icons and rank-and-file Republicans alike.

Recently, the Georgia House considered a bill which would have prevented women from obtaining an abortion after 20 weeks, down from 26. Rep. Ron Stephens (R), who considers himself pro-life, originally voted against the bill, along with 16 other Republicans. In an interview with the Savannah Morning News, Stephens recalled his daughter Ashlin’s pregnancy just a few years before, when her child was diagnosed with trisomy, a devastating genetic defect, and how this bill would have affected his family’s decision:

“At five months, they told her part of her baby’s brain was outside the skull and the heart was inverted,” he said. “They said it would take only one or two breaths. She would have watched it die.” After huddling with her family, she opted for an abortion.

When the bill initially came to a vote in the House, <span style='font-size: 14pt'>there was no opportunity to amend it to provide exceptions for such situations. Stephens said he was so upset he felt sick and walked off the floor during the roll call.

“For something this cruel to happen to my daughter, or anyone’s daughter,” he said, “is just plain inhumane. I consider myself pro-life, but this provision was a distortion of pro-life values.”
</span>
In response, the Peach Tea Party blasted those Republicans, claiming they <span style='font-size: 14pt'>“displayed a willingness to depart from the conservative principles that form the bedrock of the Georgia Republican Party platform.”</span> A blog on the group’s website referred to those Republicans as “RINOs,” or Republicans in Name Only. This was despite the fact that, when the bill was amended to exempt “medically futile” pregnancies like his daughter’s, Stephens voted for the bill, which passed.

For his part, Stephens said he isn’t worried about a primary challenge, telling the Morning News, “It might even help me with fundraising.” </div></div>

The lunatics have taken over the asylum. The GOP has been taken over by fanatics who will not compromise. There is no middle ground for them.

Q

Hows this for religious freedom.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anna Marie College decided they no longer want Victoria Reggie Kennedy, widow of the late-Sen. Ted Kennedy, to deliver a commencement speech in the spring.

<u>Bishop Robert McManus put pressure on the college to withdraw the offer to Kennedy because of disagreements with her views on political issues.</u> Anna Marie released a statement saying they still felt Kennedy was an appropriate pick, but their hands were tied.

"As a small, Catholic college that relies heavily on the good will of its relationship with the Bishop and the larger Catholic community, its options are limited," the statement read.

The U.S. Conference of Bishops said in 2004 that "Catholic institutions should not honor those who act in defiance of our fundamental moral principles." The AP pointed out Kennedy supports full reproductive rights, including access to abortion, and gay marriage. Both stances are opposed by the Catholic church, and they were positions that diocese spokesman Ray Delisle pointed out as problematic.

Patrick Whelan, president of the national Catholic Democrats, told The Boston Globe when he spoke with McManus, <span style='font-size: 14pt'>the Bishop "invoked what he believed were Kennedy’s positions on divisive social issues, including abortion, gay rights, and health coverage for contraception."</span>

Anna Marie, a small private college in Paxton, Mass., west of Worcester, made the decision last week. They informed Kennedy on March 29.

In a statement, Kennedy said she was disheartened by their choice.

<span style='font-size: 14pt'>"[McManus] has not consulted with my pastor to learn more about me or my faith," Kennedy said. "Yet by objecting to my appearance at Anna Maria College he has made a judgment about my worthiness as a Catholic. This is a sad day for me and an even sadder one for the Church I love."</span> </div></div>

eg8r
04-03-2012, 01:38 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The lunatics have taken over the asylum. The GOP has been taken over by fanatics who will not compromise. There is no middle ground for them.
</div></div>There is no grey area here, either you pro-baby killing or you are not.

Well it is up to the Bishop to make the decisions and this is the one he made. It is a shame that Kennedy misrepresented what the Bishop said. The Bishop did not agree with Kennedy's position on a series of issues and that is why he chose not to have her speak. It is well within his power to make this decision. He did not however state he made this decision on Kennedy's "worthiness as a Catholic". The saddest part is that you will never understand any of this.

eg8r

cushioncrawler
04-03-2012, 04:06 PM
I really cannot understand why anyone who cherishes liberty would condone unlimited power residing in Washington. The two are simply not compatible.
mac.

Gayle in MD
04-11-2012, 07:51 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style='font-size: 11pt'>Georgia State Rep Votes Against Radical Anti-Abortion Measure, Citing Daughter’s Experiences</span>

Rep. Ron Stephens (R-GA)

From a credit downgrade last year to global warming, the Republican push for ideological purity has already had far-reaching impacts on the country. One emerging problem with the purity test is that it is very easy to fail, for conservative icons and rank-and-file Republicans alike.

Recently, the Georgia House considered a bill which would have prevented women from obtaining an abortion after 20 weeks, down from 26. Rep. Ron Stephens (R), who considers himself pro-life, originally voted against the bill, along with 16 other Republicans. In an interview with the Savannah Morning News, Stephens recalled his daughter Ashlin’s pregnancy just a few years before, when her child was diagnosed with trisomy, a devastating genetic defect, and how this bill would have affected his family’s decision:

“At five months, they told her part of her baby’s brain was outside the skull and the heart was inverted,” he said. “They said it would take only one or two breaths. She would have watched it die.” After huddling with her family, she opted for an abortion.

When the bill initially came to a vote in the House, <span style='font-size: 14pt'>there was no opportunity to amend it to provide exceptions for such situations. Stephens said he was so upset he felt sick and walked off the floor during the roll call.

“For something this cruel to happen to my daughter, or anyone’s daughter,” he said, “is just plain inhumane. I consider myself pro-life, but this provision was a distortion of pro-life values.”
</span>
In response, the Peach Tea Party blasted those Republicans, claiming they <span style='font-size: 14pt'>“displayed a willingness to depart from the conservative principles that form the bedrock of the Georgia Republican Party platform.”</span> A blog on the group’s website referred to those Republicans as “RINOs,” or Republicans in Name Only. This was despite the fact that, when the bill was amended to exempt “medically futile” pregnancies like his daughter’s, Stephens voted for the bill, which passed.

For his part, Stephens said he isn’t worried about a primary challenge, telling the Morning News, “It might even help me with fundraising.” </div></div>

The lunatics have taken over the asylum. The GOP has been taken over by fanatics who will not compromise. There is no middle ground for them.

Q

Hows this for religious freedom.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anna Marie College decided they no longer want Victoria Reggie Kennedy, widow of the late-Sen. Ted Kennedy, to deliver a commencement speech in the spring.

<u>Bishop Robert McManus put pressure on the college to withdraw the offer to Kennedy because of disagreements with her views on political issues.</u> Anna Marie released a statement saying they still felt Kennedy was an appropriate pick, but their hands were tied.

"As a small, Catholic college that relies heavily on the good will of its relationship with the Bishop and the larger Catholic community, its options are limited," the statement read.

The U.S. Conference of Bishops said in 2004 that "Catholic institutions should not honor those who act in defiance of our fundamental moral principles." The AP pointed out Kennedy supports full reproductive rights, including access to abortion, and gay marriage. Both stances are opposed by the Catholic church, and they were positions that diocese spokesman Ray Delisle pointed out as problematic.

Patrick Whelan, president of the national Catholic Democrats, told The Boston Globe when he spoke with McManus, <span style='font-size: 14pt'>the Bishop "invoked what he believed were Kennedy’s positions on divisive social issues, including abortion, gay rights, and health coverage for contraception."</span>

Anna Marie, a small private college in Paxton, Mass., west of Worcester, made the decision last week. They informed Kennedy on March 29.

In a statement, Kennedy said she was disheartened by their choice.

<span style='font-size: 14pt'>"[McManus] has not consulted with my pastor to learn more about me or my faith," Kennedy said. "Yet by objecting to my appearance at Anna Maria College he has made a judgment about my worthiness as a Catholic. This is a sad day for me and an even sadder one for the Church I love."</span> </div></div>

</div></div>

LOL, yeah, Freedom to dictate to others, but freedom to do as they please. They have one standard for everyone else, but they fail miserably to police their own.

Too bad the Bishop isn't man enough to take a stand against his own organization which collects money from the parish parents in their churches, while their priests are committing pedophilia on the the parish children.

They preach that only God can judge us, but they reserve the right to not only judge people without even talking with them, or knowing what they believe in, but worse, they protect their own child predators, hide and protect them, and send them on to commit more pedophilia elsewhere.

How the hell does this bishop have the right to judge Mrs. Kennedy, by what her husband believed in and supported, anyway?

The Catholic Church needs to take a good long look at their own inhumanity, and corruption, rather than condemning others.

G.