PDA

View Full Version : Abstinence Ed = highest teen preg rates

DiabloViejo
04-12-2012, 12:48 AM
Red State Fail: Abstinence Only Education Leads To Highest Rates Of Teen Pregnancy In The Country
April 11, 2012
By Justin "Filthy Liberal Scum" Rosario

In yet another concrete example of how the right ignores reality in favor of harmful ideology, the latest statistics for teen pregnancy in the United States show a clear trend: traditionally red states that push abstinence only have the highest rates of teen pregnancy.

Think Progress (http://thinkprogress.org/health/2012/04/10/461402/teen-pregnancy-sex-education/) reports:

This (2010, the most recent year with complete statistics) is the lowest (http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2012/04/10/u-s-teen-birth-rate-drops-to-a-record-low/) national rate for teen births since the Centers for Disease Control began tracking it in 1940, and CDC officials attributed the decline to pregnancy prevention (http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/series/sr_23/sr23_031.pdf) efforts . Other reports show that teenagers (http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2011/10/12/how-american-teens-view-sex/) are having less sex and using contraception more often. Studies have backed this up. Researchers at the University of Washington in Seattle found that teenagers who received some type of comprehensive sex education were 60 percent (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/03/24/AR2008032401515.html) less likely to get pregnant or get someone else pregnant.(emphasis mine)

Comprehensive in this context means “more than the religiously motivated and wholly useless teaching of ‘don’t be a naughty sinner!'"

It is also important to note that a staple of conservative thought is that liberals are immoral, godless and sex craved and that we only want to teach our children to be whores and sluts. They demand that sexual education come from the home and only the home because all God-fearing parents will raise their children better than the gub’mint ever could. This has not been borne out by any real world experience whatsoever. The most “religious” states are the ones that consistently have the worst rates of teen pregnancy. Texas, Mississippi, Alabama, West Virginia and so on, nine of the top ten states for teen pregnancy are in the Bible Belt (New Mexico is the outlier but they don’t require sex ed at all, with the same lousy results).

The truth is, parents tend to do a terrible job of teaching their kids about sex. The reasons for this are legion but teenagers are rife with dangerous misconceptions as detailed in The Virgin Diaries (http://www.amazon.com/Virgin-Diaries-Kimberley-%20Johnson/dp/145157617X/ref=tmm_pap_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1312131031&sr=1-1) by Kimberley A. Johnson and Ann Werner:

Friends would say that the first time was going to be painful and that you would bleed once he “popped your cherry.” That there would be no way you could get pregnant the first time and that once you had sex, you would walk different. My favorite: if I didn’t have sex for a long time, I would be a virgin again.

You can be assured this was not taught in a classroom. Sometimes, parents are simply not equipped to do more than say “No,no,no! Sex is bad and you shouldn’t have any!” A tactic widely hailed as being 100% effective on teenagers similar to emptying the ocean with a teaspoon and just as useful. On the other hand, teaching the proper method of using contraception as well as thoroughly explaining the consequences of pregnancy and STDs seems to be quite effective in those godless, whorish blue states like New Hampshire that take their responsibilities seriously.

Don’t look for the bible Belt to suddenly wise up, though. Unthinking adherence to religious ideology always trumps common sense in Jayzusland.

Qtec
04-12-2012, 01:17 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> “No,no,no! Sex is bad and you shouldn’t have any!” <u>A tactic widely hailed as being 100% effective on teenagers </u>similar to emptying the ocean with a teaspoon and <u>just as useful.</u> </div></div>

LOL..

To eliminate crime overnight, just tell kids not to break the law! Problem solved. No need for a police force, jails, lawyers etc

Q

Gayle in MD
04-12-2012, 06:11 AM
Excellent Op-Ed. The right has a history of doing what doesn't work, over and over again.

Reminds me of the absurdity of Nancy Reagan's solution decades ago, to the growing use of drugs by our youth, "Just say no!" /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

The Republican platform is, and has for decades, been all about doing what doesn't work, over and over, and expecting a different result.

Let's just hope the old adage, "Crazy never wins!" will hold in November, and that the RW Activist SCOTUS doesn't decide to throw out our votes again, so that they can choose the president, AGAIN, and Crazy does win, again, as happened in the election disaster of 2000! Man, the country sure paid an incredibly high price for that SCOTUS decision! AND we're still paying for it!

G.

eg8r
04-12-2012, 08:50 AM
When was the last time someone that did not have sex get pregnant?

eg8r

DiabloViejo
04-12-2012, 12:28 PM
http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/small/0806/abstinence-abstinence-demotivational-poster-1212446480.jpg

http://www.campusprogress.org/page/-/images/Comics/AbstinenceOnlyFULL.jpg

eg8r
04-12-2012, 01:55 PM
Why are you ignoring the question?

eg8r

DiabloViejo
04-12-2012, 02:11 PM
Why are you ignoring the simple fact that study after study and the stats about abstinence all point to the fact that abstinence only sex "education" is an abject failure? Yeah, sure, abstinence works if a teen sticks to it, but the simple fact is that they don't stick to it. Remember Nancy Reagan's "Just say no" drug campaign? How'd that work out? Adolescents with raging hormones are not going to just forego sex because of some stupid abstinence campaign. You know it and I know it. So let's cut the crap.

eg8r
04-12-2012, 03:10 PM
I am not ignoring anything. Abstinence, when practiced, is the only 100% solution. Your solution is not an encouragement to kids to have sex, it is not education at all.

eg8r

DiabloViejo
04-12-2012, 03:23 PM
Pray tell, what is my solution? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

eg8r
04-12-2012, 05:47 PM
Your solution is not abstinence. I mistyped in my previous post and meant to say your solution is an encouragement to sex. You would rather them have a good time and wrap to be "safe".

eg8r

Qtec
04-13-2012, 02:05 AM
Your solution has been shown over and over again to be ineffective and not based in reality.

Hey, here's an idea, lets not teach kids to swim because that will only encourage them to go onto the water.
Your advice is, tell your kids to stay away from water, its dangerous!!!!!!!

Q

DiabloViejo
04-13-2012, 11:45 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am not ignoring anything. Abstinence, when practiced, is the only 100% solution. Your solution is not an encouragement to kids to have sex, it is not education at all.

eg8r </div></div>

You are assuming to know what I think without my having even stated any proposed solution.

For the record here is what I think:

There are many good and valid reasons why parents and teachers should discourage kids from engaging in sexual activity until they are old enough and (hopefully) mature enough to understand the consequences of an unwanted pregnacy. Having said that, teenagers should be educated on the biological and anatomical facts of sex, the different types and dangers of STD's and how to prevent infection / transmission of them. They should also be given the straight up facts on how to prevent unwanted pregnancy thru use of condoms along with spermicides, diaphragms, and the pill. Providing the proper information is not the same as encouraging teen sex, it is a way to prevent STD's and unwanted pregnancies for the percentage of kids who, for whatever reasons, choose to engage in sex when there's no adults around.

If the goal really is to prevent pregnancies and STD's then the fact is that the liberal blue states do a far, far, better job at it than the conservative red states. I have already supplied the proof to back this up.

You guys need to stop harping on sex so much, and get busy on jobs and the economy, instead of smoke and mirrors culture wars bullshit. But of course, that would require the GOP to ditch their obstructionism. And that's not gonna happen because the GOP, and their Tea Party lunatic fringe, would rather see our country in the toilet than have to cooperate with the Obama administration. That is why you are going to get trounced in the Presidential election and it is also why you are going to get voted out of congress come the next round of congressional elections. Mark my words it's going to happen.

Gayle in MD
04-13-2012, 12:43 PM
Yep, and Ann Romney whining about all of her "Struggles" in life, isn't going to remove all of the legislative facts about the Republican War On Women's Rights!

G.