PDA

View Full Version : NJ State 9-Ball Championship

Barbara
09-30-2002, 10:01 AM
Well, the crown worn by Karen Corr for the past three years is now being worn by Jeanette Lee who won 9-7 over Vivian Villarreal.

JL went up 4-1 over VV and it looked like it was going to be a piece of cake, but VV started to play some safeties against JL and slowed her forward momentum. JL reached the hill with VV at 5 games. VV scratched out a couple more games and it looked like she was going to tie JL at the hill, but a costly scratch on the 3 ball left and easy out for JL to take the match.

Afterwards all the top 8 finishers were given the opportunity twice to try and make the 9 on the break for $1000. Only Kelly Oyama came close twice(!) to make the 9, a couple balls blocked the pocket each time. VV's 9 didn't even move! (I racked for VV and Kelly both times - I was hoping KO would win it /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif!)

In case you didn't know this - the room owner and three sponsors put up $2000 and on Saturday and Sunday if a match went hill-hill and the breaker of the final game made the 9 on the snap, she won $1000. There were several such attempts on Saturday (one match was mine and my opponent didn't come close) and two or three on Sunday. It made the matches that much more exciting. Helena came sooooo close on her attempt on Sunday - that ball just hung in the jaws. Then Kelly Oyama came real close too - the 9 was about an inch away from the pocket.

The tournament was a great time and was one of the largest fields (44 total) NEWT has had in a long time. Kudos to Rich and Mary Sacco and all the sponsors.

PLUS! I got to meet Gremlin!! He was there taking a gazillion pictures on his digital camera. What a sweetheart of a guy!! He said that he was going to send them all to Mike at AZBilliards so you'll all be in for a treat!

Barbara~~~caught up on some much-needed sleep this morning...

Nostroke
09-30-2002, 11:03 AM
Hi Barb!

Hoping KO would win it? That seems a bit strange, given the history. Did something else happen that you are not mentioning?

Barbara
09-30-2002, 12:44 PM
Kelly and talked during the weekend. Not about the Regional Tour stuff, I'm saving that for the next board coming in. I'm at the impression that she's trying to make thing straight in the WPBA, so you can't fault her for that. She's actually a pleasant person to talk with. I really think she doesn't know what Candi did to the Regional Tour Handbook. I found out that Candi re-wrote it on her own and made her own changes to it, not Jan and Kelly.

Hey!! It was great seeing you again and getting that IP mess straight!!

Barbara

Barbara
09-30-2002, 01:08 PM
The first day upsets were Oyama vs Thornfeldt 7-6 in the first round. Helena got the chance for the $1000 break but didn't make the 9 on the snap.

Hsin Huang from Taipei, currently residing in Vancover, won over Vivian Villarreal, 7-4. Hsin took down quite a few top players before losing to Line Kjorsvik on Sunday to head over to the 1-loss side where she met up with VV again. VV tied her at 5-5 and then a costly scratch from HH allowed VV to reach the hill first. VV went on to win, 7-5.

Jeanette just went through Line to win the hot seat, 7-2. Helena lost to VV, 7-6, where VV came real close to making the 9 on the snap, leaving it 1/2" away from the pocket on the rail. Then Line fell to VV, 7-4. All along the two wins VV was really starting to stroke the ball really well and was building up a nice rhythym. Jeanette managed to cool VV off with a couple rolls and unmakeable shots, but VV did manage to get to 7 games before JL moved on to win the match. The final match took 1hr, 10 minutes to complete - had to be one of the fastest finals I've ever witnessed!

Barbara

HarryDC
10-01-2002, 06:57 AM
Hi Barbara,

Just wanted to say thank you for all of your help and remember I owe you a lunch or dinner at Hagerstown. Don't
let me forget. I am glad to see Nostroke got the IP thing patched up. He is a really nice person.

Thanks,

HarryDC..~~Hey, Carol Clark I love Ya. he he he

Nostroke
10-01-2002, 11:11 AM
Thanks Harry-we were patched up (in my eyes anyway) the same day of the misunderstanding. I totally understand why she thought it was me. What no one knew was we had a little history where Barb thought i was hiding my true identity from her so that was another factor. Im sure i would have felt the same as she.

Anyway It was very nice and pretty unexpected that everyone who spoke up supported me.