PDA

View Full Version : Bachmann AGAIN! What a Racist!

Gayle in MD
04-19-2012, 12:08 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn.) attacked President Barack Obama's proposal to curb oil speculation amid high energy prices as "waving a tar baby in the air."

"This is just about waving a tar baby in the air and saying that something else is a problem," said Bachmann in an interview with the conservative blog The Shark Tank. "I have never seen a more irresponsible president who is infantile in the way that he continually blames everyone else for his failure to first diagnose the problem and second to address the problem."

"Tar baby," coming from the doll made of tar trapping Br'er Rabbit in an Uncle Remus story, is defined as "something from which it is nearly impossible to extricate oneself" <span style='font-size: 14pt'>but also has been defined as a derogatory term for African-Americans.</span><span style='font-size: 14pt'>The term has sparked controversy in the past.</span>Rep. Doug Lamborn (R-Colo.) apologized to Obama in 2011 for saying that being associated with his policies would be like "touching a tar baby."

More distantly, then-Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney (R) apologized, via a spokesman, for using the term to describe Boston's much-maligned Big Dig highway project.

</div></div>

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/19/michele-bachmann-tar-baby-obama_n_1437703.html?ref=topbar

<span style="color: #CC0000">She is truly disgusting. </span>

Soflasnapper
04-19-2012, 01:16 PM
More the wrong generation, and stupid, in my view, although I hold no brief for the Congresswoman.

Older usages and connotations constantly escape these peoples' attention, but I take this as ignorance and a gaffe rather than anything actually racist. Ymmv.

Gayle in MD
04-20-2012, 01:22 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">More the wrong generation, and stupid, in my view, although I hold no brief for the Congresswoman.

Older usages and connotations constantly escape these peoples' attention, but I take this as ignorance and a gaffe rather than anything actually racist. Ymmv. </div></div>

<span style="color: #CC0000"> We differ in our opinion on this one, friend.

I think she knew exactly what she was doing. "Tar Baby" has recently become a new and offensive radical right-wing buzz word.

There has been enough controversy over it, recently, that I would think she is aware of emotional impact, and is now using it intentionally, for impact.

That's is, after all, what she's known for doing.

When you see the same sort of word usage, over and over, it doesn't look accidental when you see it yet again, just like the obvious problem Mitt has, with relating to non elitists people, keeps cropping up, so it goes with Bachmann, and Palin, in their offensive word usage, and outrageous accusations.

There is too much of that sort of thing going on among Republicans, to blame it on their ignorance, although there is plenty of that, as well, their M.O. of incessant repetition of offensive, racist, buzz words, has been quite prounced, IMO.

G. </span>

sack316
04-20-2012, 08:11 AM
Pretty obscure these days for that to be referenced as a racial slur. Most commonly it's used in a very different context these days.

Now can I definitely say she wasn't using this as an attention grabber, much the way you describe? Of course not, she may have been trying to be JUST slick enough to pull off a stunt here...

... but then we'd have to give her credit for being intelligent enough to pull off said stunt. And I'm just not ready to do that for her /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Sack

Gayle in MD
04-20-2012, 08:39 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pretty obscure these days for that to be referenced as a racial slur. Most commonly it's used in a very different context these days.

Now can I definitely say she wasn't using this as an attention grabber, much the way you describe? Of course not, she may have been trying to be JUST slick enough to pull off a stunt here...

... but then we'd have to give her credit for being intelligent enough to pull off said stunt. And I'm just not ready to do that for her /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Sack

</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The term has sparked controversy in the past.Rep. Doug Lamborn (R-Colo.) apologized to Obama in 2011 for saying that being associated with his policies would be like "touching a tar baby."

</div></div>

Obscure? I wouldn't say it is a word choice that most people would recognize as racist.

Seems pretty Republican to me, in general. Lately, not a week goes by without some racist slur from the right.

I think she knew exactly what she was doing. She has a history of using racially charged statements, and otherwise shocking and offensive language to get attention, as well.

In fact, that's been her behavior for years. Nearly every time her name comes up in the news, it's because of something outrageous has popped out of her mouth, it's like a bubblegum machine, one never knows what's coming out of it next!

She's known for slinging around outrageous slurs, of all kinds.

Additionally, her accusations in this interview, were all either gross exaggerations, or outright lies, as usual.

We're pumping MORE oil, not less, for one thing, and presidents have very little power to bring about a change when they happen.

Anyway, she's a fine one to be calling the president, particularly this president, immature, given her overall behavior, IMO!

G.

sack316
04-20-2012, 09:00 AM
Well I do have to admit I don't know much of her history as far as terminology she uses... I tend to change the channel if I see her lol. Never found her to be someone worth my time and attention to listen to personally. Kind of works my nerves lol

Sack

Gayle in MD
04-20-2012, 10:06 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I do have to admit I don't know much of her history as far as terminology she uses... I tend to change the channel if I see her lol. Never found her to be someone worth my time and attention to listen to personally. Kind of works my nerves lol

Sack </div></div>

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif LOL. Mine too.

Soflasnapper
04-20-2012, 01:50 PM
Well, any racial import is not apparent in the original Western source, Tales of Uncle Remus, or whatever. That source for the term provides the actual meaning of the term, which is a difficult situation that entangles and entraps you the more you struggle with it (the plot line of the tar baby with Br'er Rabbit).

As you will find by referring to any dictionary.

Here's another take I agree with. Romney, years back referring to the Big Dig, the sadly departed Tony Snow, who was one of the actual good guys however much he was on the wrong side of things, John McCain, discussing divorce matters, and even John Kerry, all used this term, and quite innocently of any racial import.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">McWhorter: ‘Tar Baby’ Isn’t Actually a Racist Slur

John McWhorter
August 3, 2011 | 12:00 am

It was five years ago now that Mitt Romney and the late White House spokesman Tony Snow both spent time in the hot seat for using the term “tar baby.” Romney was referring to the Big Dig highway project in Boston, and Snow to an abstract debate. But there are those who consider the term, originally referring to something difficult to free oneself from once touched, a racial slur. John McCain nevertheless used it the following year in a discussion of divorce law, and this week it’s Representative Doug Lamborn who is being accused of racism for his comments on a radio show in the wake of the debt ceiling debacle:

[T]hey will hold the President responsible. Now, I don’t even want to be associated with him, it's like touching a, a tar baby and you get it ... you know you’re stuck and you’re part of the problem and you can’t get away. [emphasis added]

Lamborn has apologized, but the word around the blogosphere, most articulately phrased by David Sirota at Salon, is that Lamborn was using coded language: “[T]he comment reveals how various forms of racism are still being mainstreamed by the fringe right,” as Sirota has it. But before making that judgment, we must ascertain: Is tar baby actually a racial slur?

Certainly not the way the guys before Lamborn were using it. A notion that they were passing a quiet signal to racists is awkward, given the decidedly non-black topics they were discussing. Need we entertain the possibility that Romney was telegraphing a subtle signal to bigots in a discussion of a highway project? Was John McCain preaching a coded message to a racist base in a comment about divorce procedure? </div></div>

The rest here at TNR (http://www.tnr.com/article/put-differently/93088/tar-baby-racist-slur)

Wiki's page has a good discussion as well, and here's the footnote there concerning Kerry's use of the term:

11 Senator John Kerry used the term to characterize Senator John McCain's attack on Obama, in an interview aired on MSNBC on 2008-07-22. "I think John [McCain] is trying to throw that big tar baby out there. You want to lose, you don't want to win. Of course Barack Obama wants America to be successful." (MSNBC video since removed, but internet searchable.)

Gayle in MD
04-21-2012, 09:04 AM
My friend, I didn't say it <u>had</u> to be racicially charged, each and every time it is used, regardless of who uses the "Tar Baby" <u>potentionally </u>racially charged label. And, I'm well aware of the formal definition, as well as the social implications.

But, IMO, Bachmann knows damned well that it does include that potential, and IMO, she used it precisely for that <u>dog whistle </u>value, to appeal to that mindset of the radical racist right wing of her party, the existence of which, IMO is undeniable, BTW.

As I have stated, she is known for that very sort of behavior, dog whistle labels, applauding racist signage, even suggesting that the media should perform an investigation of what she called, all of the many anti-american representatives in the Congress, accusing the dangerous "others" of being something other patriotic Americans.

I don't give her a wide berth when it comes to her intentions, but instead, I consider the source, and given how much racist rhetoric comes from the right, and particularly, the radical right, of which, IMO, she is one of the ring leaders, I think my appraisal is reasonable.

Additionally, not only do I believe that she is a racist, but also a homophobe and a religious fanatic, who is psychologically unbalanced, along with her husband, given their radical religious views such as their anti-gay position, and their "Be healed by God, of your homosexuality" organization, for which they collect money for religious therapy, of course! So, IMO, she and her husband are involved in what amounts to child abuse.

Just my own opinion, of course, but one that I feel is surely not unique to just my own personal views, and also an opinion that I feel is not without merit.

G.

Soflasnapper
04-21-2012, 12:36 PM
Homophobic religious fanatic, sure, I'll buy that.

However, consider her more famous campaign gaffes. Stating in New Hampshire that they fired the shot heard round the world? (When it was Concord, MA where that occurred?) Misstating the birthplace of John Wayne Gacey as that of John Wayne?

These were not dog whistles in any way I can understand, but sheer ignorance. The old expression goes something like: 'never attribute to malice what can be explained by human ignorance,' the latter also said to be among the most inexhaustible substances in the world.

So in my grayscale world (neither black nor white, entirely) paint-by-the-numbers portrait of Rep. Bachmann, these incidents are all coded as 'paint with the ignorant color,' not the racist color. Maybe I'm applying too much Christian charity here, but this woman is quite the dumb bunny, and just because an average educated person knows something, does not mean she does, because she has a sub-average to poor knowledge base about all kinds of things.

I think your opinion here is respectable, but not correct, as I presume you find my own, likewise. May have to agree to disagree. (Full disclosure: she's from the Munson family, and resembles my cousins of that surname, for what that's worth.)

Gayle in MD
04-22-2012, 02:25 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Homophobic religious fanatic, sure, I'll buy that.

However, consider her more famous campaign gaffes. Stating in New Hampshire that they fired the shot heard round the world? (When it was Concord, MA where that occurred?) Misstating the birthplace of John Wayne Gacey as that of John Wayne?

These were not dog whistles in any way I can understand, but sheer ignorance. The old expression goes something like: 'never attribute to malice what can be explained by human ignorance,' the latter also said to be among the most inexhaustible substances in the world.

So in my grayscale world (neither black nor white, entirely) paint-by-the-numbers portrait of Rep. Bachmann, these incidents are all coded as 'paint with the ignorant color,' not the racist color. Maybe I'm applying too much Christian charity here, but this woman is quite the dumb bunny, and just because an average educated person knows something, does not mean she does, because she has a sub-average to poor knowledge base about all kinds of things.

I think your opinion here is respectable, but not correct, as I presume you find my own, likewise. May have to agree to disagree. (Full disclosure: she's from the Munson family, and resembles my cousins of that surname, for what that's worth.) </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">May have to agree to disagree. </div></div>

That'll work. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif Although I do agree with everything you wrote above, lol.

I always respect your opinions. We seem to be on the same page about most things.

Saw her one day on The Hill, right in front of some horribly racist signs, during a Tea Party protest. The signs were disgusting portrayals of the President, very racist. She had to have seen them, as she clapped and waved, smiling in approval.

There were quite a number of Repubs, right there with her on that balcony, clapping and waving their approval.

Quite a lot of dog whistle language all in all, that comes from Republicans, a fair amount of it easily detectable right here.

We can hardly speak of our needy Americans, without the standard references to "Flat Screen Televisions"....etc.

According to the right, we shouldn't worry about the needy, hungry children, or the unemployed, it's all their own fault, they're just lazy.

I've heard her make those kinds of references as well. Something not long ago about 'if you don't work, you don't eat'?

I don't care for her at all, and it could be that influences my opinions about her to some degree, I suppose. I find it distressing to think that a person of her caliber, intellectually speaking, has a position of power and influence in our government.

I know that the sight of her on that day, (and the rest of those republicans) in front of those repulsive signs, will stay with me a very long time, and quite possibly will influence my opinions about her.

G.

LWW
04-22-2012, 05:46 AM
It's amazing how some members will pontificate about things on which they know nothing.

"TAR BABY" is frm the Uncle Remus stories and is an analogy for a problem that becomes more entangling the more one fights against it and it has nothing to do with racism.

This is simply another spoon fed "SCANDAL" similar to what happens every time someone uses the word niggardly.