PDA

View Full Version : Fox Spreads Propaganda on Silver Spoon Comment

Gayle in MD
04-23-2012, 06:56 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The "Silver Spoon" Misquote: Fox Pushes Blog Fabrication Into Mainstream Press
April 22, 2012 5:13 pm ET by Terry Krepel

On the April 19 edition of Fox & Friends, co-host Steve Doocy said to Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney: "Speaking of rhetoric, [President Obama] had some fiery rhetoric pointed at you yesterday. He said unlike some people, I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth."

But that's not what Obama said. As Newshounds and Talking Points Memo note, in his April 18 speech, Obama did not preface his "silver spoon" remark with the words "unlike some people" [9:00]:

OBAMA: That's why we've got the best universities and colleges in the world. That's why we have cutting-edge research that takes place here, and that then gets translated into new jobs and new businesses, because somebody did the groundwork. We created a foundation for those of us to prosper. Somebody gave me an education. I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth. Michelle wasn't. But somebody gave us a chance, just like these folks up here are looking for a chance.

As TPM points out, Obama has used similar "silver spoon" constructions since at least March 2009, suggesting that the comments were not "pointed at" Romney.

Doocy appears to have taken his misquote of Obama from a Hot Air blog post that appeared the previous day, which carries the headline "Obama: Unlike some people, I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth."

Since then, the misquote has spread to the mainstream press. A Washington Post blog post by Philip Rucker reporting on Romney's Fox & Friends interview falsely puts "unlike some people" in quotes - even while linking to the Post's own report on the speech, which does not include those words. A New York Post editorial and blogs like Instapundit have also repeated the misquote.

This isn't the first time Fox News has promoted a misquote; last year, for instance, Fox ran with a fabricated quote of Teamsters president James Hoffa to accuse him of inciting violence against conservatives. And in 2010, Doocy made a similar mistake of apparently believing what he had read on a blog by suggesting that Obama was lying about Hawaii being struck by an earthquake in 2006.

UPDATE: As TPM noted on Sunday night, The Washington Post has corrected its article that included the "silver spoon" misquote.

</div></div>

http://mediamatters.org/blog/201204220004

Soflasnapper
04-23-2012, 10:18 AM
The 'creative' misquote is about all they have. Other than the flat-out lying of course.

Gore was partially destroyed by the false quote/creative misquote, on a couple of different matters, but at that time, by the WaPost reporters themselves, and other 'liberal' media, without needing to be quoting the Rs. The least understood truth of that election. Destroyed by the so-called liberal media.

Gayle in MD
04-23-2012, 12:39 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 'creative' misquote is about all they have. Other than the flat-out lying of course.

Gore was partially destroyed by the false quote/creative misquote, on a couple of different matters, but at that time, by the WaPost reporters themselves, and other 'liberal' media, without needing to be quoting the Rs. The least understood truth of that election. Destroyed by the so-called liberal media. </div></div>

Doesn't take very much listening to the RW media, which is about the only media there is, to figure out why there are so many misinformed people on the right.

WAPO? Definitely leans right, and will continue to do so as long as Republican Bob Woodward is there.

What I don't understand is why Fox isn't sued more often for their slanderous statements against others.

Bill O, just called Robert Reich a communist, with the smiling agreement of Lou Dobbs...

http://mediamatters.org/mmtv/201204200019

I would love to see Mr. Reich sue both of them!

This media take over has been a thirty to forty year long Republican process, beginning during Richard Nixon's administration, and IMO, our country has paid a horrible price for the media take over, by the right, and between that, and their RW Supreme Court's fascist rulings, and all of the efforts Republicans are using to disenfranchise and/or outright block likely Democratic voters, how can the coming election possibly be Democracy in action?

Typical Republican Hypocrisy, when you think of it, given all those who died while Bush was supposedly spreading democracy around in the Middle East, followed by Republicans going BERZERK right here, trying to block Progressive Americans from voting.

Leave it to the Republican Party, to completely corrupt the entire election process.

Some Christians, huh?

G.

G.

Soflasnapper
04-23-2012, 03:37 PM
What I don't understand is why Fox isn't sued more often for their slanderous statements against others.

If they attack public figures, those parties have a very steep burden of proof under the NY Times Co. v Sullivan 9-0 ruling to win their case-- proof of actual malice. Almost an impossible one, and the expense that a Fox would be willing to pick up cannot be matched by a private person unless they had a medium sized financial fortune to risk, and no lawyer would take such a hard case on a contingency fee basis.

LWW
04-23-2012, 04:19 PM
My God ... are you guys really that desperate?

Soflasnapper
04-23-2012, 05:24 PM
Not filing impossible to win libel suits out of being a public figure is desperate, to you? It's just common sense.

If you mean instead the subject of the post, in this case it's the Fox people who are so desperate as to make up parts of quotes and sell them, when the truth isn't quite good enough.

eg8r
04-23-2012, 06:19 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But that's not what Obama said. As Newshounds and Talking Points Memo note, in his April 18 speech, Obama did not preface his "silver spoon" remark with the words "unlike some people" [9:00]:

OBAMA: That's why we've got the best universities and colleges in the world. That's why we have cutting-edge research that takes place here, and that then gets translated into new jobs and new businesses, because somebody did the groundwork. We created a foundation for those of us to prosper. Somebody gave me an education. I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth. Michelle wasn't. But somebody gave us a chance, just like these folks up here are looking for a chance.

</div></div>LOL, you guys put more words in Romney's mouth when you were trying to tell us he was touting the HC shopping options in Europe.

eg8r

eg8r
04-23-2012, 06:21 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 'creative' misquote is about all they have. Other than the flat-out lying of course.
</div></div>LOL, creative misquote? When Obama says he was not born with a silver spoon in his mouth what exactly do you think he is trying to say? He is implying that he did not have the financial advantages as "some people" since "some people" must be enjoying these advantages for such a statement to make any sense.

eg8r

Soflasnapper
04-23-2012, 07:28 PM
He's used that phrase for several years back, without any reference to Romney or any particular person.

The reference is to his humble beginnings, something so much prized by politicians that Romney has also attempted to get away with claiming that as a fact for his background.

To be fair, he did have to sell part of his stock portfolio when he was in school, but luckily a $6 dollar stock had risen to $96, so he had the equivalent in inflation-adjusted dollars of $400,000 to take from.

Qtec
04-23-2012, 07:29 PM
Did you even read the initial post?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> On the April 19 edition of Fox & Friends, co-host Steve Doocy said to Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney: "Speaking of rhetoric, <span style='font-size: 17pt'>[President Obama] had some fiery rhetoric <u>pointed at you </u>yesterday.</span> He said unlike some people, I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth</div></div>

There is a difference between 'some people' and talking about Romney specifically.

Was Obama talking about Romney in March 2009 when he said much the same thing?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Because we know that the countries who out-educate us today will out-compete us tomorrow, this budget also invests in a complete and competitive education for every American -- in early childhood education programs that work; in high standards and accountability for our schools; in rewards for teachers who succeed; and an affordable college education for anyone who wants to go. <u>That's the reason the three of us are standing here today. None of us were born with a silver spoon in our mouths -- but we got a great education.</u> And if we combine additional resources with a commitment to reform, then I think we can deliver that for every American child </div></div>

Q

eg8r
04-23-2012, 08:47 PM
Pick and choose when you want to put words in people's mouth.

eg8r

LWW
04-24-2012, 04:03 AM
What humble beginnings?

Gayle in MD
04-24-2012, 05:20 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What I don't understand is why Fox isn't sued more often for their slanderous statements against others.

If they attack public figures, those parties have a very steep burden of proof under the NY Times Co. v Sullivan 9-0 ruling to win their case-- proof of actual malice. Almost an impossible one, and the expense that a Fox would be willing to pick up cannot be matched by a private person unless they had a medium sized financial fortune to risk, and no lawyer would take such a hard case on a contingency fee basis.

</div></div>

I suppose that if we want to save democracy, the following efforts below are the most effective methods, and thankfully, I am seeing more and more of these kinds of public efforts to combat RW lies and propaganda, and hold the wealthy corporate greedy pigs, to account for their anti-democratic, dangerous and hidden disgraceful agendas.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">United Republic 3333 14th Street NW, Suite 200, Washington, DC 20010

March 26, 2012

Dear Members of the American Legislative Exchange Council Private Enterprise Board:

In 2005, the American Legislative Exchange Council adopted a model bill that was almost identical to Florida’s “Stand Your Ground” law enacted earlier that year. The Florida legislators who introduced that act, Sen. Durell Peaden and Rep. Dennis Baxley, were, like your companies, members of ALEC.

That Florida law has allowed George Zimmerman to avoid arrest for killing Trayvon Martin, a 17-year-old boy, and it could make it easier for Zimmerman to avoid prosecution. As you know, Trayvon Martin, who was unarmed, was shot while returning from buying a snack.

ALEC has made this bill a priority, and numerous ALEC-affiliated state legislators have pushed it. These laws have been adopted in at least twenty more states.

ALEC has long been a central force behind state laws that harm the health and safety of Americans. Last year, it emerged that in 2009 ALEC had endorsed the model for state “Voter ID” laws, which make it harder for low-income people, communities of color, young people, the disabled and elderly, and others to vote, and ALEC legislators have sponsored those bills in numerous states. And now we know that ALEC backed the law that could let Trayvon Martin’s killer walk free, the same law that risks more tragedies in the other states.

We call on your companies to stop supporting ALEC’s reckless agenda, which harms the communities in which you do business.

On behalf of our organizations and members, we ask that you formally and publicly end your affiliation with, and your financial support for, the American Legislative Exchange Council, out of respect for Trayvon Martin and his family, and in the interest of making our country less violent and more united.

Please respond by contacting Suzanne Merkelson of United Republic at 202 / 299-0911, smerkelson@unitedrepublic.org, or the above mailing address. If we don’t hear from you soon, we will follow up. Thank you in advance for your prompt attention to this matter.

Sincerely,

Van Jones, co-founder, Rebuild the Dream

Rashad Robinson, Executive Director, ColorofChange.org

Lisa Graves, Executive Director, Center for Media and Democracy

Lee Fang, David Halperin, Zaid Jilani, Suzanne Merkelson, Matt Stoller

Editors, Republic Report, a Project of United Republic

Click more to view the full document:

</div></div>

http://www.republicreport.org/2012/letter-corporations-support-shoot-first/

And, it's working! Much like the efforts against Beck ad Rush, which have been successful, resulting from efforts by many patriotic Americans, we as consciencious progressives are coming together and using product boycotts, IOW, our consumer power, as a force against the lies and propaganda of the right.

By exposing the whole story of billionaires like Koch Bros, the facts behind their financial links to radical RW organizations, like Alex, and exposing the resulting damages to our society, we are mking progress, the sort too expensive to be fought for in the courts.

This is our best hope for reversing the damages we've suffered from organizations like Fox Noise, the Koch Brothers, Halliburton, etc., the last two among the biggest polluters in our country, and, in short, those wealthy, greedy corporate pigs, who seek to destroy the rights and health of the poor and the Middle Class, and deny them a decent education, workers rights, women's rights, Gay rights, and even voting rights, all for their own financial gain and control over the government.

G.

Qtec
04-25-2012, 01:30 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pick and choose when you want to put words in people's mouth.

eg8r </div></div>

Doocy is the one putting words into the POTUS's mouth and you are defending him.

What Doocy said was,

"Talking about rhetoric, <span style='font-size: 14pt'>he had some fiery rhetoric <span style='font-size: 20pt'>pointed at you</span> yesterday.</span> He says, 'unlike some people........."etc.

That's not just misquoting, that's a deliberate attempt to create animosity where there is none.

Doocy's non-apology.

link (http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/04/fox-news-steve-doocy-corrects-fabricated-obama-quote.php?ref=fpb)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">“Last week President Obama talked about not being born with a silver spoon in his mouth. <span style='font-size: 14pt'><u>That was interpreted as a big dig at Mitt Romney,</u></span>” Doocy said toward the end of Fox & Friends.</div></div>

Really? By whom? Fox news??????????????

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> “When I was interviewing Governor Romney on this show I asked him about it. However, I did some paraphrasing <span style="color: #990000">that <u>seemed</u> to misquote the president.</span> So to be clear, the president’s exact quote was, ‘I wasn’t born with a silver spoon in my mouth.’ And I hope that clears up any confusion.” </div></div>

No seemed about it. Even when making an apology he lies.

Q

eg8r
04-25-2012, 11:42 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Doocy is the one putting words into the POTUS's mouth and you are defending him.

</div></div>I am not defending him, I am merely asking you to use common sense.

eg8r