PDA

View Full Version : Jeanette Lee on Late Show with David Letterman

ccboard_admin_back
09-30-2002, 07:16 PM
Jeanette Lee will be on David Letterman this Monday night. She will be shooting trick shots and perhaps play a game or two.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.cbs.com/latenight/lateshow/>http://www.cbs.com/latenight/lateshow/</a>

Barbara
09-30-2002, 07:24 PM
Shoot!! I forgot to mention that!! And she is soooo excited, too!

Taper alert!!!

Barbara

cuechick
10-01-2002, 08:57 PM
so was that last night or this coming Monday????

WaltVA
10-01-2002, 10:16 PM
It was last night (9/30/02)

Tom_In_Cincy
10-01-2002, 10:18 PM
And, from a report on AZbilliard chat forum.. J.Lee was only on for about 3 minutes..did a quick few trick shots and didn't even sit down with Letterman.. Boom.. she was off

WaltVA
10-01-2002, 10:32 PM
Right, Dave was talking over his shoulder to her; the table was behind him on the set. She did one trick shot right after opening monologue (jump CB over a cue on table, hit OB, jump it over 2nd cue and into pocket), exchanged about 2 min. of chit-chat and off. Don't know if he brought her back later in the show, I bailed on it. She had on a light blue decorated top; definently looks better in all black.

Walt in VA

Scott Lee
10-01-2002, 11:10 PM
She came back on twice more for two more trickshots...but they were quick. Too bad she didn't get any couchtime with Dave...still it was great for pool!

Scott

Ludba
10-02-2002, 02:00 AM
I disagree. I think it's the same old "party trick" appeal that pool has been known for in the past. It is true that there is no such thing as bad publicity, but this highlights the distance between pool and a mainstream viewing audience. Hopefully, Jeanette's looks and personality can help diminish that gap.

10-02-2002, 02:14 AM
Scott,

In my opinion, a short appearance like Miss Lee's isn't great for pool. It made me wonder why the hell she was on the show. Before her first trick, the putz kept bugging her and I thought she might miss the shot. I'm glad she didn't.

Since The Black Widow seems to be the most ubiquitous spokeswoman for the game, next time her agent should demand couch time, so to speak. If Letterman can interview tennis stars and football players, why not pool players? Pool would get some well deserved publicity, then.

Of course, Letterman probably doesn't know a cueball from a highball, and unlike the charming, down to earth Johnny C., he can't carry off an interview knowing so little.

Bob

10-02-2002, 11:49 AM
I was really annoyed that they refered to her as "trick shot artist". How about former #1 ranked player in the world or current #3 ranked player (or whatever her ranking is). I think it is a disservice to her and her dedication to profesional pool to put her on dispaly as some kind of novelty act. This is not meant to be a jab at people who make a living doing exhibitions or performing trick shots (artistic pool players).
I just don't think her visit did anything to promote professional tours/organizations. I think they missed a huge oportunity to promote the WPBA and let people know what it is all about (ie being a professional pool player).

Skippy

10-02-2002, 12:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> I was really annoyed that they refered to her as "trick shot artist". How about former #1 ranked player in the world or current #3 ranked player (or whatever her ranking is). I think it is a disservice to her and her dedication to profesional pool to put her on dispaly as some kind of novelty act. This is not meant to be a jab at people who make a living doing exhibitions or performing trick shots (artistic pool players).
I just don't think her visit did anything to promote professional tours/organizations. I think they missed a huge oportunity to promote the WPBA and let people know what it is all about (ie being a professional pool player).

Skippy <hr></blockquote>

Actually,I think Letterman did mention the WPBA and that she was currently ranked #3.

Something is better than nothing.

Back to tongue and cheeking.BS

10-02-2002, 02:19 PM
Sorry I missed it. Maybe Fran can make and appearance on Jack Ass.

10-02-2002, 03:44 PM
Good point! I was refering to the advertising leading up to the show.
Skippy

Scott Lee
10-02-2002, 10:58 PM
bob &amp; Ludba...I still say that ANY live tv exposure is good for pool. True, Letterman wouldn't even know which end of the cue to hold, but watch and see if Jeanette gets on Leno (many times people are on both shows within a month of each other). He has a much more hip audience (imo) and would probably give her more air. BTW, NOBODY can "demand" couch time on a talk show...especially a high-rated show like Letterman or Leno!

Scott Lee

Ludba
10-03-2002, 02:46 PM
I said in my previous post, "that there is no such thing as bad publicity," but her appearance is certainly not "great" for pool. It may be, as you suggested, a watershed for future late night appearances, but as long as pool is seen on tv as a "trick show" it will not receive the audience or the esteem it deserves.

The problem is that television is not a proper medium for exhibiting the intricacies of any game, much less pool. Tv limitations entail focusing on the gimmicky or extreme aspects of whatever it is showing. There is a reason 9-ball is on ESPN2 and One-pocket is not. Both good games, but one is more spectator sport oriented. The same goes for trick shot competitions on ESPN2. It's flashy, something you can capture on TV.