PDA

View Full Version : One WTC now Manhattan's tallest building

Soflasnapper
05-03-2012, 02:19 PM
WTC 7 was already reconstructed, to no particular acclaim or notice, for some reason!

But congrats to NY on this one:

One World Trade Center Now Manhattan's Tallest

At 2 p.m. on April 20, two steel interior columns were installed, raising its height to 1,271 feet.

Apr 30, 2012

The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey confirmed April 30 that One World Trade Center had reclaimed the title of the tallest skyscraper in New York City after surpassing the height of the Empire State Building by 21 feet as of 2 p.m. A few Port Authority executives watched ironworkers install two 26-foot steel interior columns on the top of the skyscraper to achieve the feat, which made headlines around the world.

[...]

When finished, it will feature a state-of-the-art broadcast facility and a one-of-a-kind observation deck that we believe will be one of the top tourist attractions in New York City."

"As the builder of the original Twin Towers, everyone at Tishman is excited today for One World Trade Center to claim its rightful place as the highest structure in the New York skyline," said Daniel R. Tishman, chairman of Tishman Construction, an AECOM company. "This magnificent building is not only a symbol of the resurgence and resilience of Lower Manhattan and New York City to the world, it's a demonstration of commitment and leadership by the Port Authority and the tremendous hard work and dedication of our team, our fellow contractors, and the thousands of laborers who show up here every day. I want to thank them all."

Link (http://ohsonline.com/articles/2012/04/30/one-world-trade-center-now-tallest.aspx?admgarea=ht.ConstructionSafety)

DiabloViejo
05-03-2012, 07:59 PM
I will be so happy when it's all finished and I plan on being there when it's open to the public!

Here's what it will all look like when all the construction is done.

http://batteryparkcity.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/rendition-world-trade-center-site.jpg

nAz
05-04-2012, 03:29 AM
I like the idea of the tallest building in NYC but i think they should have gone all out and built the tallest in the world., Fu@k Dubai! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Anyways what a mess this whole project has been the cost over runs are incredible. whats the estimate over 14 BILLION dollars???
the PA has ripped off so many people to help build this... they raised the tolls from NJ to NY from $8 to $12.

what happen to the insurance pay out that was supposed to help cover this cost?

eg8r
05-04-2012, 07:05 AM
The insurance pay out was probably consumed during one of the earlier overruns. I wonder, over time, how much requirements creep has happened. That is 99% of delays and increased costs.

No matter what, it is great to see the buildings going back up.

eg8r

Soflasnapper
05-04-2012, 10:26 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nAz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like the idea of the tallest building in NYC but i think they should have gone all out and built the tallest in the world., Fu@k Dubai! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Anyways what a mess this whole project has been the cost over runs are incredible. whats the estimate over 14 BILLION dollars???
the PA has ripped off so many people to help build this... they raised the tolls from NJ to NY from $8 to $12.

what happen to the insurance pay out that was supposed to help cover this cost?
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Completing the One World Trade Center will cost $3.8 billion, The Wall Street Journal reports, making it "by far" the most expensive building in the world.

The new estimate, which includes construction-cost overruns and a decision by the Port Authority to now include leasing expenses in its public numbers, is up from a previous estimate of $700 million.

The Journal explains why it's all so pricey:

<span style='font-size: 14pt'> One World Trade Center's construction is vastly more expensive than a traditional office tower, in large part due to security costs associated with building the tallest building in North America on a site that has been the target of two separate terrorist attacks (the site was also bombed in 1993). Once known as the Freedom Tower, the 1,776-foot skyscraper sits atop a heavily reinforced, windowless podium. It also has a thick core of concrete and steel around its elevator shafts.</span>

By contrast, the developer of the Burj Khalifa, the world's tallest tower in Dubai, has estimated a cost at $1.5 billion. That building, however, was built with immigrant labor and without nearly as many security concerns.

And The Port Authority isn't planning on making a profit out of the former Ground Zero site. "It was as much about making a political statement as it was an economic decision," The Regional Plan Association's Robert Yaro told The Journal. "This is not a project that's standing on its own--it was never intended to be."

<span style='font-size: 14pt'>The Port Authority also says money from recent toll hikes won't go towards construction of the building.
</span>
2011 was a watershed year in the construction of One World Trade Center, which will be North America's tallest tower. After nearly a decade of design drama, budget fights and labor disputes, the building finally started to look like a skyscraper, with one new floor built nearly every week. Conde Nast signed a huge lease for half the tower. And the 9/11 memorial opened in time for the 10th anniversary of the September 11th attacks.

2012 has already seen some minor setbacks, however, A money dispute between Port Authority and the 9/11 Memorial Fund means the museum won't open in time for the 11th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks.

Developer Larry Silverstein is also having trouble finding tenants for Tower 3. Originally planned to be 80 stories, construction could be capped after just 7 stories are built. </div></div>

HuffPost piece, here (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/31/one-world-trade-center-will-cost-38-billion-dollars-expensive-building-in-the-world_n_1243917.html)

So, apparently, it went from an estimated $700 million to $3.8 billion? Part of that is 'lease expenses' put into the public accounting, which probably includes tenant improvement allowance budgets or 'build to suit' expenses and also free months' of rent, but cost over runs have to be the largest part of the increase, I presume.