PDA

View Full Version : End of Rivera's storied career may be at hand...

nAz
05-04-2012, 03:55 AM
wow what a way to go out, I doubt he will come back after he heals up i mean at his age its gonna be really hard.
too Bad i had tickets to three few games this month wanted to see him close out some games.

"Mariano Rivera is thought to have suffered not just a torn ACL, but also a torn meniscus, which would complicate his recovery. The joke among the Yankees for the past 18 seasons is that the best center fielder on the team is Mariano Rivera."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/tom_verducci/05/04/mariano.rivera.injury/?xid=cnnbin

LWW
05-04-2012, 04:25 AM
I am the farthest thing from a Yankee fan you will ever meet, but MR was the greatest at his role that ever lived ... and anyone who doesn't vote for him for the HoF on the first ballt should, IMHO, have their BBWA credentials permanently revoked.

eg8r
05-04-2012, 07:09 AM
Yeah, that sucks. I hope he does not toss in the towel and he comes back better than ever. Other this personal reasons, there is no reason for him to retire.

Come on Mo, fight through it. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r

Soflasnapper
05-04-2012, 10:34 AM
Is it his 'forward' or 'back' leg's knee that's involved?

That back leg creates the power, so I'm guessing that's more critical, and under more stress in the pitching motion.

However, of course, you have to 'land' the front leg, after that push, and slightly downhill off the mound, which is a fair amount of stress as well.

(I'm no student of pitching mechanics to know if this might be an important distinction or not for his potential recovery. Might be, though.)

UPDATED: It's his pushoff leg's knee. I think that complicates things.

LWW
05-05-2012, 10:56 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah, that sucks. I hope he does not toss in the towel and he comes back better than ever. Other this personal reasons, there is no reason for him to retire.

Come on Mo, fight through it. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r </div></div>

Doing that at age 43 is a dream.

eg8r
05-06-2012, 05:55 PM
The only dreaming is what the rest of the American League is doing right now. They are dreaming that he will bow down and retire. I am glad he came out and said he will play again.

eg8r

sack316
05-07-2012, 09:13 AM
I'm not a Yankee's guy, but I do love Mo! I hope he is able to come back... but what an amazing career!

You know you are incredible when you have one pitch... just one pitch really and truly... and can say "here it comes, good luck" and still be as tough to hit as he has always been.

Location and changing speeds... a true master.

Sack