PDA

View Full Version : beating dead threads

10-01-2002, 12:47 PM
if anyone heard a loud whimper of anguish coming from the general direction of houston....that was me.

so...they're keeping this rediculously long thread alive by posting nothing much to it a coupla times a day. it takes up almost all of the front page due to this silly system of bouncing anything new to the top and dragging the whole thread with it.

so this guy, lets call him wally, suggests they start a new thread and stop dragging all the old ones to the top.

"what do we name it?" (new post on the same thread)

" that's a good idea." (new post on same thread)

arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

dan...i'm better now.

Tom_In_Cincy
10-01-2002, 01:08 PM
Venting always helps... I second your feelings.. Dan

I usually just read the threads that I am interested in and the new ones. That particular thread was interesting at first and then got into a "chat room" format real quick.. too bad there isn't a chat room feature here that they could continue their discussions in real time and not flood the CCB forum with "good answer" lines..

Wally_in_Cincy
10-01-2002, 01:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: houstondan:</font><hr> if anyone heard a loud whimper of anguish coming from the general direction of houston....that was me.

so...they're keeping this rediculously long thread alive by posting nothing much to it a coupla times a day. it takes up almost all of the front page due to this silly system of bouncing anything new to the top and dragging the whole thread with it.

so this guy, lets call him wally, suggests they start a new thread and stop dragging all the old ones to the top.

"what do we name it?" (new post on the same thread)

" that's a good idea." (new post on same thread)

arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

dan...i'm better now.

<hr></blockquote>

I like the idea someone had about "locking" a thread to enable it to die a honorable death rather than be choked unmercifully with excessive blather.

Mr Ingrate
10-01-2002, 03:33 PM
I concur ... and I guess I'm guilty of keeping this one alive. It sure would be nice if the originator of the thread could institute a NO MORE REPLIES switch to squelch the off topic and irrelevant postings.

bluewolf
10-01-2002, 04:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Mr Ingrate:</font><hr> I concur ... and I guess I'm guilty of keeping this one alive. It sure would be nice if the originator of the thread could institute a NO MORE REPLIES switch to squelch the off topic and irrelevant postings. <hr></blockquote>

i plead guilty.

bw

10-02-2002, 01:05 AM
Tom and Wally,

I agree with both you guys from Cincinnati. Thanks for calling me on it. I did keep it going with my replies to Anonymous and others to "clarify" my point. Frankly, it wondered far from the original subject, so I apologize for that. The discussion did belong in a chat room.

No more replies to the book thread, please!

All the best,
Bob

TomBrooklyn
10-02-2002, 02:54 PM
Quote: fightingbob:
I did keep it going with my replies to Anonymous and others to "clarify" my point. Frankly, it wondered far from the original subject, so I apologize for that. No more replies to the book thread, please!<hr></blockquote> Hey Bob,
Just for the record, I had no problem with your thread. To tell you the truth, I never opened it until it a couple of days ago and it was already over a hundred posts. I've only read the last page and that was pretty much about books.

Someday when I feel like ordering some more pool books I would like to skim the whole thing for gems. And when I do, I hope you won't mind too much if I find something that I would like to reply to. And if anyone doesn't want to read more about books, or whatever off topic rigamarole that winds up in there, maybe they could just not open the dang thing. It will only take up one space, it shouldn't block the view of all the other posts too much. A lot of posts used to be a problem on this board when it could only hold 300 posts and posts were rolling off the board 18 hours after they went on, not giving poeple enough time to read, respond and discuss. That is not a problem with this board, however.

I know, I know, it will bug the heck out a hundreds people if they don't check the board twenty times a day read every post that comes through. Well Bob, that's not a thread problem.

=Tom=

10-02-2002, 05:49 PM
I don't know how others would feel about it, Tom, but if it's related to books I don't think they'd mind. I'm new to the forum and realize I was hogging the top spot when I kept up my pointed and sometimes heated discussions with an anonymous poster. I have to agree that enough is enough. Besides, I think we understand each others point of view a little better now and don't need to continue bringing the thread to the top.

I genuinely appreciate your feedback.

All the best,
Bob

billy bob
10-02-2002, 08:04 PM
glad you er better dan, why would a feller beat sumthin that is dead? i thought a thread wus dead, didn't know sucha thing ever lived. your friend billy bob