PDA

View Full Version : Playing For Money Etiquette

LoneWolf
05-08-2012, 01:14 AM
I've never played for money and I would like to start. It's fun.

The question is what is playing for money etiquette. I know that you should declare the rules (once) and put your money on the table before every game. Do you decide to play a certain number of games ahead of time. Can someone just quit at any time?

Please fill me in on how to play for money. Thanks in advance.

Rich R.
05-08-2012, 05:17 AM
I haven't played for money in a very long time but pretty much everything, especially the rules and the bet, is open to negotiation.
Some people put the money on the light or in some other secure place. Basically, that is the money for the last game or set played. You can pay after each game or set until you quit.
As far as quitting goes, you can set limits ahead of time or just continue. However, it is bad form for the winner to decide when to quit.

Bambu
05-08-2012, 07:16 AM
Never put money up on the light, you cant see it from the bathroom. The length is usually not discussed unless its a high stakes game. Most will let the other player know when theyre running short on time, but you cant take that for granted. The higher the stakes, the more important the quit factor becomes. I suggest starting small. Develop some trust in your opponent before betting anything meaningful.

Fran Crimi
05-08-2012, 08:30 AM
I find the op's post very suspicious. In a previous thread in April the op wrote:

<span style="color: #000099">"Hey Guys, I would like to play Pro or very good players for money. What are the good pool halls to do this in California. Obvious ones are pool halls in L.A. or San Francisco because they are huge cities but I am looking for other pool halls in California. Thank you."
</span>

This person wants to play a pro for money? Something here isn't right.

Eric.
05-08-2012, 09:14 AM
Interesting.

Honestly, I suspect there are a lot of "shill accounts" being created here, to stimulate conversation. While the intentions might be good, it's still a bit misleading (and goofy), if that is true.

I think I'm gonna start a new thread titled "Who are you?" or something to that effect. If anything, I like to feel like I'm dealing with a "real" person.

Eric &gt;name/rank/serial number

Fran Crimi
05-08-2012, 10:34 AM
Yep. Agreed. I don't know what this person's intentions are and I don't care. All I know is that my rat radar is signaling me, and it never lies.

Rich R.
05-08-2012, 03:45 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fran Crimi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I find the op's post very suspicious. In a previous thread in April the op wrote:

<span style="color: #000099">"Hey Guys, I would like to play Pro or very good players for money. What are the good pool halls to do this in California. Obvious ones are pool halls in L.A. or San Francisco because they are huge cities but I am looking for other pool halls in California. Thank you."
</span>

This person wants to play a pro for money? Something here isn't right.

</div></div>
You are correct Fran. There is definitely something wrong if the guy wants to play a pro for money but he doesn't know how to gamble.

BTW, your memory is much better than mine. I didn't have a clue about his prior thread.

Bambu
05-09-2012, 07:18 AM
Curses, bamboozled again!

Fran Crimi
05-09-2012, 09:23 AM
Rich there are other clues which show that he is either a foreigner or a rank amateur, but I'm not giving them away. Why teach him how to fool us? There is also a slim possiblility he is putting on an act, if so, he did a lousy job. Regardless, all of the reasons for the post are negative.

Deeman3
05-09-2012, 11:39 AM
Good catch Fran!

Rich R.
05-09-2012, 12:21 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fran Crimi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rich there are other clues which show that he is either a foreigner or a rank amateur, but I'm not giving them away. Why teach him how to fool us? There is also a slim possiblility he is putting on an act, if so, he did a lousy job. Regardless, all of the reasons for the post are negative. </div></div>
And all of this time I just thought he was stupid. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif

Michael J Spain
05-17-2012, 02:00 PM
I play in Northern California at a hall where there is usually a money game on. Stakes are low. Unknown players can walk in and ask who are the money players and be pointed in the right direction.
The etiquette for play is the same regardless of the stakes. Respect for your opponent. In particular, don't do anything to distract them while they are shooting.
As for etiquette particular to gambling? Here are my suggestions.
Never play for more than what is in your pocket. No winner wants to hear "oh, I just have to step out and find an ATM" do that before you play.
Make sure you know the game rules. Not just the basic rules but the ones you (think) you and your opponent are playing. Being familiar with the rules will at least eliminate one source of trouble.
Know the bet. Most bets in pool halls are: the first player to win a certain number of games before their opponent wins the match and the money. Never be shy about asking questions before you begin if you are uncertain about some part of the bet.
Keep your money in your pocket or purse. Collect either at the end of the game, race/match or session depending on your level of trust. You should not play for money if you do not trust your opponent to pay you.

LoneWolf
05-19-2012, 04:05 PM
I don't even know what you're talkin' about. Suspicious? Why? Isn't it a know fact good players learned from better players. You guys sound like you may be trolls or somethin' jeez

Fran from what I've seen in other posts your suspicious for no reason. And Rich R. If I only had your charisma I'd be king.

Why do you spend your time doin' this?? No social skills!

poolplyr
06-05-2012, 08:21 PM
Never play for money. Instead play for beers/drinks, win & get drunk for free

Sid_Vicious
06-05-2012, 11:38 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: poolplyr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Never play for money. Instead play for beers/drinks, win & get drunk for free </div></div>

How much real talent is ever going to play you for drinks in reality? You buy your chances, and it takes cash. It is easy enough to win drinks for free, but you are playing chumps 90% of the time. Real pressure comes from the gamble for cash. sid

poolplyr
06-06-2012, 06:52 PM
I love giving lessons for beers/drinks. Playing your definition of "real talent" for "real pressure" is over rated. I'd rather play in a tournament

SpiderMan
06-07-2012, 10:36 AM
Playing for drinks - the great equalizer! Same guy can't keep winning forever /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

SpiderMan

Sid_Vicious
06-08-2012, 08:08 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: poolplyr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love giving lessons for beers/drinks. Playing your definition of "real talent" for "real pressure" is over rated. I'd rather play in a tournament </div></div>

You are missing the "real" competition by avoiding money games. Some of the same players who WON"T play you for cheap or for drinks, but a $50 for a set will get their game...play tournaments, but they usually don't play their best. Don't we want their best game? As far as tournaments...they are slow moving, and you usually have the same winners week after week. If you draw one or two of those 1st and 2nd place players early, you will quickly find the loser's bracket. If you happen to be in the final rounds and still int he winner's side, a torunament which began at 8PM is now seeing 2-3am.

You can have your tournaments. They are far too slow and ill run, plus you can usually count on who's gonna win. Back to the topic at hand though, your real talent AND PRESSURE comes from putting your wallet on the table. That isn't over-rating anything IMO. You gotta be wise enough to "make the game" for yourself ahead of the start. It would be stupid to bump in to Efren and play even up.

Tournaments are boring. sid

Sid_Vicious
06-08-2012, 08:25 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SpiderMan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Playing for drinks - the great equalizer! Same guy can't keep winning forever /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

SpiderMan </div></div>

Played a guy at "The 7" one time for drinks, those Texas sized draft beers, and ran out of room in my belly to put it all down, and you surely know I do pretty well downing suds. I musta been up 4-5 "owed drinks" and was still winning. He was a nice guy so I told him to just forget about the balance when I wised up and realized I had to drive home later. He didn't argue, and hopefully he learned to get out earlier when being run over by a better player. Most people woulda maybe just said, "Hmmm $4 a beer times what's owed...give me cash." I saw no point, I was toasty and had fun. There are just those times when it's better to be nice. I guess that makes me a soft touch huh.

In my case, I did win all the time and the drinks never offset the talent difference. That's not the norm though, so I see your point. sid

Bambu
06-08-2012, 08:41 AM
If I lost to someone playing for beers and he wanted cash after I bought him 5, we would have a problem.

Eric.
06-08-2012, 08:58 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SpiderMan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Playing for drinks - the great equalizer! Same guy can't keep winning forever /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

SpiderMan </div></div>

Sometimes, there is a LOT of truth in a joke.... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Eric &gt;lol

Sid_Vicious
06-08-2012, 09:09 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bambu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I lost to someone playing for beers and he wanted cash after I bought him 5, we would have a problem. </div></div>

He owed for 10 for the entire event, only paid cash for the first five before going on credit. What problems should exist for expecting payment on all the bets? His choice to keep betting or to quit. sid

Bambu
06-08-2012, 08:09 PM
Well if he asked for credit, I guess he owes you 5 drinks. The way I see it, you are entitled to beer because thats what we played for. If you beat me for drinks, I'll buy you drinks all night long. But if you wanted to be able to walk out with money without probs, you should have asked to play for money instead of drinks. Otherwise, I am entitled to laugh at you attempting to drink all the drinks I know you really didnt want.

Rich R.
06-09-2012, 06:49 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bambu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well if he asked for credit, I guess he owes you 5 drinks. The way I see it, you are entitled to beer because thats what we played for. If you beat me for drinks, I'll buy you drinks all night long. But if you wanted to be able to walk out with money without probs, you should have asked to play for money instead of drinks. Otherwise, I am entitled to laugh at you attempting to drink all the drinks I know you really didnt want. </div></div>
In this situation, is it acceptable for the player owed all of the drinks to give them away to friends?

poolplyr
06-09-2012, 11:06 PM
After he wins the drinks they are his to do with what ever he pleases. Drink em, poor them down the sink or give em away. Just like he could do what ever he would want to do with any money he would have won if they had played for money. Keep it, burn it or give it away

Bambu
06-10-2012, 09:07 AM
Giving them away to friends is fine, but you do that as you get them. If youre already drunk on my money and looking to collect on the final few, distasteful. Dont act like its a friendly drinks game, and then try to squeeze out every last dollar. For that, may as well have just played for cash. That way, theres never any gray area.

Its like the guy who wins a few hundred from you, and still makes you split time. I hate that guy.

Fran Crimi
06-10-2012, 11:30 AM
This is what I can't understand. How does something like this even get that far? At that point it's either about ego or getting drunk but it sure isn't about playing pool.

Sid_Vicious
06-10-2012, 12:23 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bambu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well if he asked for credit, I guess he owes you 5 drinks. The way I see it, you are entitled to beer because thats what we played for. If you beat me for drinks, I'll buy you drinks all night long. But if you wanted to be able to walk out with money without probs, you should have asked to play for money instead of drinks. Otherwise, I am entitled to laugh at you attempting to drink all the drinks I know you really didnt want. </div></div>

Reality Bambu, is that I do agree with you. I "got my fill" and more when the drinks stacked up, and I was never going to make it a deal to talk about a pay off in cash. I actually plan to buy drinks when I bump into him again. I am not a bad guy, and yes, you'd have a comedy show at times when I am swilling down won drinks. sid

Rich R.
06-10-2012, 07:49 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fran Crimi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is what I can't understand. How does something like this even get that far? At that point it's either about ego or getting drunk but it sure isn't about playing pool. </div></div>
This whole thing is a good reason not to play for drinks. People should buy their own drinks and play for cash if they want to gamble. It makes things a whole lot easier.

Alaskan_Pool
06-18-2012, 11:36 PM
Well something definitely isn't quite right, but I have run into some very different and quirky types; some who want to donate their money by playing much, much, much, better players for stakes and refuse to take one ball--taking it as an insult-- when they need to be spotted the 6 out. People often say you have to play better players to play better (and they're right). Maybe here the person has interpreted that to an extreme. Or maybe they're mildly autistic or... none of us have any idea. I just don't like when people jump to a conclusion of bad faith before the evidence is in.

walter
06-19-2012, 02:15 PM
never tell anybody youve never played for money you will open yourself up to every sucker trick in the book

walter
06-19-2012, 02:19 PM
if you have something to prove play in tournaments

walter
06-19-2012, 02:22 PM
old hustler trick....he thought you were getting lit

TomBrooklyn
06-28-2012, 08:58 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fran Crimi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I find the op's post very suspicious....

This person wants to play a pro for money? Something here isn't right. </div></div>

He's part of the Wolf Pack. Doesn't that explain everything?

TomBrooklyn
06-28-2012, 09:02 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: poolplyr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Never play for money. Instead play for beers/drinks, win & get drunk for free </div></div> Some people prefer consciousness to drunkeness!

And you can't buy groceries, pay the rent, or finance discretionary spending with beer, especially after you've drunk it.

LoneWolf
08-24-2012, 01:53 AM
Guys, I have been a serious every night pool player since I was 23 I am now 40 years old. I really believe in my skills and think I could beat a pro.

I'm constantly looking for ways to make pool a even funner game. And honestly after playing for that long I need a little excitement.

If that's how I want to invest my money that's my choice. Good luck in life with that attitude.