PDA

View Full Version : Obama Backs Gay Marriage

Qtec
05-09-2012, 07:26 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WASHINGTON -- In a nod to a dramatic shift in public opinion, Barack Obama on Wednesday became the first sitting president to announce his support for same-sex marriage.

In a sit-down interview with ABC's Robin Roberts, Obama completed what has been a markedly long and oft-mocked evolution on the matter.

"I've always been adamant that gay and lesbian Americans should be treated fairly and equally," Obama told Roberts, in an interview that will air in full on ABC's "Good Morning America" Thursday.

(Watch ABC's entire clip below)

"I have to tell you that over the course of several years as I have talked to friends and family and neighbors when I think about members of my own staff who are in incredibly committed monogamous relationships, same-sex relationships, who are raising kids together, when I think about those soldiers or airmen or marines or sailors who are out there fighting on my behalf and yet feel constrained, even now that Don't Ask Don't Tell is gone, because they are not able to commit themselves in a marriage, at a certain point I’ve just concluded that for me personally it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same sex couples should be able to get married," he said.

.. As the political pressure continued to mount, the president finally chose to speak out Wednesday, with the White House hastily scheduling a sit-down interview.

“It’s interesting, some of this is also generational,” the president said. “You know when I go to college campuses, sometimes I talk to college Republicans who think that I have terrible policies on the economy, on foreign policy, but are very clear that when it comes to same sex equality or, you know, believe in equality. They are much more comfortable with it. You know, Malia and Sasha, they have friends whose parents are same-sex couples. There have been times where Michelle and I have been sitting around the dinner table and we’re talking about their friends and their parents and Malia and Sasha, it wouldn’t dawn on them that somehow their friends’ parents would be treated differently. It doesn’t make sense to them and frankly, that’s the kind of thing that prompts a change in perspective.”</div></div>

Well done Obama.

Wait for it, here comes the outrage 1...2...3.

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/600048/original.jpg

Q

Gayle in MD
05-10-2012, 01:34 AM
President Obama is amazing. What courage and dignity this man displays.

I am hoping that this action by our president, will bring forth more discussion and a deeper understanding of the vast damage which the current state of psychotic religiosity has prosecuted against our society.

The religious right is way out of hand. We should not have allowed religiosity to become a political phenomenon, and it is a very serious problem in our country.

Where we find social discrimination, dictatorial attitudes and and policies, we find the demonization of our FREE citizens, and unconstitutional RELIGIOUS use of our laws.

Radical religious ideology used for political purposes is exactly what our founders abhorred and feared.

Our country was founded on the assurance of Separation Of Church and State. Freedom of, and FROM religious prosecution and dictation.

It is long past time that religious organizations give up their tax exemption, since they behave as political organizations.

It is long past time that their finances be scrutinized thoroughly by the IRS.

There should be a constitutional amendment, that no state may discriminate against any group of American citizens by using religious doctrines of any church or religion. No citizen can nor should be denied their rights to enjoy their own religious beliefs, but that does not give them any right to use laws to force those beliefs upon others, or to deny rights or dictate through law, how others must live their private, personal lives.

Civil rights issues, personal, private choices and decisions in our FREE country must be safe from discrimination and hatred especially when that hatred is the result of religious persecution.

Our stated Constitutional mission is equality, equal rights, under the law, not laws which deny equality.

G.

eg8r
05-10-2012, 08:28 AM
LOL, wasn't it Biden that put him in this goofy position. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif I find it hilarious. Obama wanted to ignore this because he doesn't want to lose the support in the South that helped drive him to the White House. LOL, let's see how he tries to quiet this down.

eg8r

Gayle in MD
05-10-2012, 08:41 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LOL, wasn't it Biden that put him in this goofy position. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif I find it hilarious. Obama wanted to ignore this because he doesn't want to lose the support in the South that helped drive him to the White House. LOL, let's see how he tries to quiet this down.

eg8r </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LOL, let's see how he tries to quiet this down.

</div></div>

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

That makes no sense.

Obviously, if he wanted to quiet it down, he wouldn't have addressed it at all, nor would he have asked ABC for the one on one interview, to announce his position.

Additionally, it had already been decided that President Obama would make the announcemennt during the Democratic Convention. The events this week just pushed it a bit forward, but the intention to support Gay Marriage, was already decided.

Obviously he is a man of substance and conscience.

G.

Mitt Romney OTOH, was involved in Gay bullying during his Prep School and college days, even to the physical point, and even worse, causing a blind professor to trip, smash into glass doors etc., as his former class mates have confirmed.

G.

eg8r
05-10-2012, 11:28 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That makes no sense.

Obviously, if he wanted to quiet it down, he wouldn't have addressed it at all, nor would he have asked ABC for the one on one interview, to announce his position.

</div></div>The only obvious thing here is how far removed from reality you are.

eg8r

Gayle in MD
05-10-2012, 12:09 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That makes no sense.

</div></div>The only obvious thing here is how far removed from reality you are.

eg8r </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Obama wanted to ignore this because he doesn't want to lose the support in the South that helped drive him to the White House. LOL, let's see how he tries to quiet this down.

eg8r

</div></div>

Name one thing the president has done to try to quiet this down.

As I told you, the decision to support Gay Marriage had already been made, BEFORE Vice President Biden mentioned it on Meet The Press.

Obviously, your statement about the President, isn't true at all.

G.

eg8r
05-10-2012, 01:10 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gaylio running her mouth</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Name one thing the president has done to try to quiet this down.
</div></div>You really do have a serious comprehension problem...again I will need to attempt to dumb it down for you. This is what I said (which you copied and couldn't understand)...<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r referring to the future</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LOL, let's see how he tries to quiet this down.
</div></div>So, in my statement I am looking to the future to see how he will try to quiet this down. You, in all your ignorant glory, then ask me how he has attempted to quiet this down. LOL, hello McFly, I haven't said he did try to quiet it down yet. I am waiting to see how he tries going forward.

"As you told", ehh, just keep the hole quite for a minute and read before you open it again. No one cares what you said because what you said is merely a knee-jerk reaction in defense of your fearless leader. Obama would not have said anything at that point in time if Biden had not run his mouth when he did.

The only obvious thing here is that your comprehension is piss poor lately.

eg8r

Gayle in MD
05-10-2012, 01:55 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gaylio running her mouth</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Name one thing the president has done to try to quiet this down.
</div></div>You really do have a serious comprehension problem...again I will need to attempt to dumb it down for you. This is what I said (which you copied and couldn't understand)...<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r referring to the future</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LOL, let's see how he tries to quiet this down.
</div></div>So, in my statement I am looking to the future to see how he will try to quiet this down. You, in all your ignorant glory, then ask me how he has attempted to quiet this down. LOL, hello McFly, I haven't said he did try to quiet it down yet. I am waiting to see how he tries going forward.

"As you told", ehh, just keep the hole quite for a minute and read before you open it again. No one cares what you said because what you said is merely a knee-jerk reaction in defense of your fearless leader. Obama would not have said anything at that point in time if Biden had not run his mouth when he did.

The only obvious thing here is that your comprehension is piss poor lately.

eg8r </div></div>

Not even a decent try Ed.

Here is what you wrote:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I find it hilarious. <span style='font-size: 20pt'>Obama wanted to ignore this because he doesn't want to lose the support in the South that helped drive him to the White House. LOL, let's see how he tries to quiet this down.</span> </div></div>

The only obvious thing is that you are too ignorant to realize that there is not going to be any effort by the president of QUIETING DOWN his stated postion. He was not about hding his opinions at all, nor was he intending to keep them quiet for political purposes.

AND if he wanted to pander to the south, he would never have said anything. Even after biden's statements, there was no reason to think that he HAD to make any personal statement about his own feelings on the subjet.

As any reasonable person would know, Biden's statements had no impact on the President's decision to epask out, in terms of winning the south.

People don't vote for Vice Presidents, only against them, and only then if they are incredibly stupid and dangerous to the country's safety, if they might have to take over, like Sara Palin was.

And as I stated, there was never going to be any such effort, since he would not be showing up on television in interview after interview to reiterate his decision.

That IS the reality, that, and the fact that you are rude and disrespectful toward everyone on this forum, and unable to conduct yourself like a rational, well adjusted adult.

G.

eg8r
05-10-2012, 02:35 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not even a decent try Ed.

Here is what you wrote:
</div></div>I quoted exactly what I wrote. Also in the quote you provied you have reaffirmed that I was talking about the future. Plese just shut your hole and read before you open your mouth. Go back and read the last sentence of my quote and let me know if you cannot understand what "let's see how he tries to quiet this down" means. It refers to the future.

eg8r

Gayle in MD
05-11-2012, 05:25 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not even a decent try Ed.

Here is what you wrote:
</div></div>I quoted exactly what I wrote. Also in the quote you provied you have reaffirmed that I was talking about the future. Plese just shut your hole and read before you open your mouth. Go back and read the last sentence of my quote and let me know if you cannot understand what "let's see how he tries to quiet this down" means. It refers to the future.

eg8r </div></div>

Provied? Don't think that I provied anything.

He isn't trying to quiet anything down, which would have been obvious to anyone who actually followed the news.

He is giving interviews about his newly announced position on Gay Marriage, the first president to come out in support of Gay Marriage, which he had intended to do anyway, before Biden's statements, and hence, your statements about it were absurd.

G.

eg8r
05-11-2012, 08:19 AM
[quote]Provied? Don't think that I provied anything.
[quote]Nope, you haven't.

eg8r

Gayle in MD
05-11-2012, 04:30 PM
[quote=eg8r]<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Provied? Don't think that I provied anything.
[quote]Nope, you haven't.

eg8r </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LOL, wasn't it Biden that put him in this goofy position. I find it hilarious. Obama wanted to ignore this because he doesn't want to lose the support in the South that helped drive him to the White House. LOL, let's see how he tries to quiet this down.

eg8r </div></div>

Again, and for the last time.

Your statement is false.

Regardless of whether you were talking about today, yesterday, or the future, it is a false statement, period.

Biden spoke from his own heart.

The President spoke from his heart.

There was to be an announcement by the president in favor of Gay Marriage, anyway.

He is the first president to do so, so obviously, it was an authentic act on his part, regardless of political considerations, since I am sure he knew in advance, that there would many many wannabe Homophobic dictators in the south who will not vote for him because he spoke his heartfelt feelings, in favor of Gay Marriage.

Again, your statements were patently FALSE.

Now that you have been proven wrong, I expect more personal insults will follow.

Your personal insults will not change the FACT that your statements were patently FALSE.

We've all read them before, many times, and there is nothing surprising about the FACT that when you are proven wrong, your response is to regurgitate the same old personal insults at the person who won the arguement, which you launch in order to divert the subject of the thread, and seek yet another opportunity to throw out MORE personal insults.

End of story.

G.

LWW
05-11-2012, 06:38 PM
Pass the popcorn please.