PDA

View Full Version : Thanks to Open CCB'ers

Ross
10-01-2002, 02:15 PM
I just wanted to echo the thanks to all of the CCB'ers who showed up for the tournament and especially to those who ran it. Thanks to Barry and Brady for the use of the room and their financial contribution and Holly for running it so well with a little help from her friends. I met and played a lot of nice, interesting people. Here is my brief report.

I showed at 11 am tired and hung-over. I didn't know anyone there (I missed the dinner the night before)so I glanced around trying to figure out who was who and what was what. I guessed which one was Voodoo Daddy pretty quickly - he stands out in a crowd. Holly was very welcoming and had everything organized (with help from others) and ready to go. She directed me to a table with a CCB'er to warm up (I think this was Brian but whoever it was left pretty early and so I never got to talk to him.) I warmed up, saw that I couldn’t make a ball consistently, and then we all went over to draw our spots in the tourney and have our pictures taken.

I won a few matches by driving my opponents nuts with slow play and a lot of safeties (my only available strategy given my addled brain) and then got crushed 4-0 by JohnNH. Don’t let his quiet demeanor fool you – he is a killer at the table! Lester then beat me hill-hill with a jump shot on the 8, so I sat down to watch the remaining players battle it out. Thierry and JohnNH went hill-hill then Thierry and KillerBreak met in a true double elimation finals. I left after the first game of the finals (it was after 6 pm by then, I think) but from what I heard, it took KillerBreak two matches to take Thierry out.

Others I chatted with and/or played against were RichR, Mike, MikeM, Tom_in_Cincy, Kato, and the “significant others” of RichR, Eric (one of the nicest guys you'll meet), and JohnNH. (Eric, if your gf ever wises up and dumps you, tell her to give me a call! LOL) I met, but didn’t really get to talk much with Voodoo Daddy, Lorri, 9-ball Girl, Wes, and Amanda. And I’m probably forgetting somebody.

All-in-all an interesting bunch of people - all the men like pool, all of the women are "hot" AND like pool, what more could you want from a CCB group!

Thanks again to all of those who showed up, and I look forward to seeing you at future CCB events.

Tom_In_Cincy
10-01-2002, 02:28 PM
Ross.... thanks again for joining us.. you made the shots.. and friends you needed to.. see ya again next year..

10-01-2002, 07:00 PM
Although I could not attend the diner, I must say I had a really great time at the tournament. Too bad the ccb tournament wasn't before the event, this way I would have been able to get to know more the ccber during the event. Looking forward to the next event.
Thierry Layani
www.layanicues.com (http://www.layanicues.com)

Kato
10-01-2002, 10:47 PM
Thierry, I must say it was an absolute pleasure meeting you. You play a real nice game, are a gentleman, and that cue you were smacking them around with was perty darn nice.

Kato

Rich R.
10-02-2002, 04:38 AM
I'm taking you down next year Ross, /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif
It was great meeting you Ross and I hope to see you, and every one else, at the Second Annual International CCB Tournament.
Rich R.

Eric.
10-02-2002, 10:26 AM
"(Eric, if your gf ever wises up and dumps you, tell her to give me a call! LOL) "

Ross, consider it done!

Eric

Thierry Layani
10-02-2002, 10:48 AM
Well thanks for the compliments. You do seem to play very well yourself. I'm really looking forward to the next event, maybe at the Derby city classic?
If anyone's interested I could even raffle off one of my cues? Why not?
See ya in a future thread !

Thierry Layani
www.layanicues.com (http://www.layanicues.com)

9 Ball Girl
10-02-2002, 10:52 AM
Ah yes. I had a good time. Especially the fact that Holly and I were playing gratis for a while. And Cueball 1950, what can I say? If only I were younger! /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

Ross
10-02-2002, 11:06 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Thierry Layani:</font><hr>

Thierry Layani
<a target="_blank" href=http://www.layanicues.com>www.layanicues.com</a> <hr></blockquote>

Wow.... I like that idea, Thierry!

John in NH
10-02-2002, 12:13 PM
Hi Ross,

I'm just now getting around to responding to the various posts regarding the CCB/US Open happenings, I got back to NH with a sore throat and a bad cold, hopefully I will get back to normal within a few days. Hope everyone got back home safely. It was great meeting you, sorry we didn't get a chance to talk more, your assessment of what happened at the CCB tourney was similar to my own experience. I too missed the dinner on Friday night and only got a chance to talk with other CCB'ers briefly on Saturday, from my perspective the tourney got off to a very slow start for the most part, there was a lot of idle time between games. The tourney began at 11 a.m. and I had only played two games by 3:30 p.m., many of the players who went two and out had left by that time, unfortunately I never got a chance to talk to them, when Amanda came in the first thing that I noticed was how tall she was, we spoke briefly, I did get a chance to meet MikeM and mentioned that I would like four keychains (do I owe you for the keychains?), RichR as he was leaving, Kato (got to talk to briefly), Eric, Lester, Ron, Brian, Eric, Cueball (thanks for the info. regarding the Joss tour), I met Lorri at the table (first matchup), she bought me a coffee, never got a chance to talk to her again after the match, after our match, I was scheduled to play against Thierry who beat me after I scratched at hill/hill, met Tom-In-Cinci at the table, next match was with Lester, we talked briefly as he was leaving, after Thierry lost his match to Killer break, I had to play him again with a similar result at hill/hill I played a poor safety and he ran out for the win. The final pairing featured Thierry against Killer break with Thierry coming from the losers bracket, he needed to win twice against Killer break, it was a great final with Thierry winning the first match, Killer break went ahead in the second and cruised to victory and the championship. I got a chance to talk to Killer break briefly and learned that he was from Albany, NY and originally from Bedford, NH (my home town), what a small world, anyway he used to play pool in a pool room that was owned by an acquaintance of mine in Manchester, NH. It was great meeting you all and special thanks to Barry, Brady Behrman for holding the 1st annual CCB tourney, thanks also to Holly, Tom-In-Cinci, Cueball for helping to run a first class event.

Ross I agree with your suggestion in order to improve the event next Year, change the format to a round robin event with the winner decided by total points, that way we get a chance to meet everyone at the tourney.

I apologize if I left anyone out.

The one thing that everyone seemed to have in common at the tourney is the love of pool.

Regards,

John

bluewolf
10-02-2002, 12:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Thierry Layani:</font><hr> Well thanks for the compliments. You do seem to play very well yourself. I'm really looking forward to the next event, maybe at the Derby city classic?

Thierry Layani
<a target="_blank" href=http://www.layanicues.com>www.layanicues.com</a> <hr></blockquote>

I looked at your webpage and loved your cues!!!

bw

cueball1950
10-04-2002, 11:26 PM
i just wanted to also say thanks to everybody. Everything was so great. Sorry i missed the dinner, killer break and i went to the roast. Met lorri and holly there also. Next year i am definately going to the dinner. Was probably more fun. We did have some laughs but some of the speakers were really foul mouthed. and i know of 1 pro players wife who was a little embarrased by it. but what the hay. it was a roast after all.
9 ball girl....if you were any younger you would still be in grade school...lol
Lorri....what can i say. an exceptional woman.
amanda....break like God..need the 7
Holly.... what a sweet and super person. Gods speed with your tour
Vicki.....Sorry i did not get to know you better. Your boyfriend makes a hell of a cue.
Mike M... can only repeat what everyone else has said... One hell of a nice guy
John in NH.... You and your wife are 2 of the nicest people.
VOODOO...what can i say... there is only 1 VOODOO DADDY
KATO.. HEY MAN... SAVE some of those women for other people who are lonely.............lol
I know i am leaving some people out. But it is hard to remember some of them. I apologize for that. Heck. I don't even remember who knocked me out of the tournament..........
anyway. God bless all of you and hopefully i will see you all next year. .....................mike