PDA

View Full Version : Do You Like DSL or Cable Broadband Access?

TomBrooklyn
03-03-2002, 03:02 PM
I'm tired of the <font color=red>WorldWideWeb</font color=red> being the <font color=red>WorldWideWait.</font color=red> I'm thinking about getting DSL or Cable Broadband access. It turns out cable won't be available in my area for about six months but I can get DSL.

<font color=blue>Anyone out there make the switch to DSL or Cable? How do you like it? How much faster is it?</font color=blue>

I have a Pentium II 350Mhz and recently added 128Mb of RAM to the 64Mb that I had before. That didn't seem to speed things up with a few windows open; but it did help if a lot of windows are open.

03-03-2002, 03:08 PM
Hi Tom, I have a cable modem, and there is no way I could ever have the patience to deal with "dial up" ever, ever again. The DSL is around the same speed as cable. It is well worth the extra little money fo monthly service.
I can probably visit three different sites to your one load up time for one site, if not more.

Ken
03-03-2002, 03:54 PM
I don't know what you're paying but around here it's $40 or $50 for cable internet and then you have to pay about $50 for the cable. Dial up is $10. That's a big difference. Now if the TDs would give us streaming video of the tournaments it might be worth paying for broadband. Otherwise I'll wait the few minutes for the little I find worth downloading. Until streaming video becomes streaming video count me out. Ken

Q-guy
03-03-2002, 04:18 PM
I think you may be selling yourself a little short. Time is the most valuable thing you have. It can't be regained once spent. If I spend 2 hours a day in front of the computer x 30 days. That is a lot of time. If that time can be reduced by half or more, think how you may use that extra time. To me my time is worth more then $. 75 an hour. Your not saving anything, if anything you are wasting time you could be practicing your pool game.

03-03-2002, 04:57 PM
I have DSL at home &amp; high speed cable at the office. DSL RULES! My cable provider is always pulling dumb stunts like changing home addresses etc.. Never a blip with DSL &amp; it appears every bit as fast.

Ken
03-03-2002, 04:58 PM
That's a good point. Every time I log off they tell me how long I've been on and it's too long for what I've done. Often it's just looking at two message boards. I should just turn the tv and the computer off and play pool. Unfortunately I recognize that my pool playing is not improving due to my inability to develope an effective aiming system. I need a pro aiming system. Ken

JimS
03-03-2002, 05:35 PM
Hi Tom,
We switched from dialup to cable several months ago and we are very pleased with it...except for the company changing names and that stuff. It's so much faster there is just no comparison. When I click onto a site I want to go to there is usually NO waiting time....it comes up immediately. I don't know what DSL is. Is that another type of cable or whats the deal?

Regards, JimS

cheesemouse
03-03-2002, 06:06 PM
I've had cable for three years and suppose I am completely spoiled. Now when I talk with people about to connect to the Internet my selling question to them is: which would you rather do? Pay someone 20 bucks a month to make you mad everyday or pay someone 40 bucks a month to make you happy everyday? Pay the money be happy /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Rod
03-03-2002, 06:30 PM
Tom I switched to cable for the same reasons. My connection is real fast. My advertised speed is 256kbps (up) and 3000 (down). I just checked it with 8 windows open, plus my AVG antivirus, zone alarm, norton, Atomica, and Outlook Express running. It was 290kbps (up) and 2125kbps (down) at least 42 times faster than a 56k modem. Most of the time its 50 times faster. When your in the range of 1000kbps to 1500kbps it is really quick. What I suggest is call the
provider and ask about their advertised speeds. Of course it will vary at times even with dsl or cable.

I would suggest going to, DSLReports.com or SpeedGuide.net and do a little research there. They both have a forum where you can ask any questions, except tips on how to play pool better. heh heh. I use the speed guide tweaking forum. Anyway ask what people think about the ISP your interested in, such as service, price, and speed.
I've tweaked the hell out of my settings and sometimes get as much as 60 times faster. You can even tweak a 56k a small amount, but I hardly think its worth the effort.
You won't believe how quick it is, provided there is no network or server problems to any website.
I pay $30 a month, but we also have cable TV which may help on the price a little. Whats MSN and AOL Hell up to these
days? Probably $23, believe me it's definately worth the price, even if it's double. If I can help more let me know.

stickman
03-03-2002, 07:36 PM
I changed to DSL and feel it was the smartest thing I've done in a while. By the time I figure the extra phone line that I dropped and the local isp charge, it really doesn't cost me anymore. No more waiting to connect, and I can download large files faster than I could connect on my old dialup. I also installed a dsl router and run two computers off the same line and can talk on the phone simultaneously. I could never go back to dialup, unless it was all that was available. When I use someone elses computer with dialup connection, it just kills me.

03-03-2002, 07:43 PM
Assuming you are in fact from Brooklyn, one way or another you'll have to use Verizon- yes there are other DSL providers in the area, but they all use Verizon's lines. Eventually, you'll have to deal with those idiots. Please believe me, Verizon online HAS NOT got it together- I use Verizon wireless, and swear by them. I wish the other two siblings (online &amp; "analog" - the home phone people) had it together half as well as wireless. Anyways, I highly reccomend you wai for cable- I use Roadrunner and my connection speeds are frequently better than T1- I've had it for about a year and have had problems with my connection 2 times- both times it was fixed remotely within hours, the last time it was within minutes. Their tech was very helpful and professional- not too much to ask for.

Check out this story for proof that I'm not just a hysteric.
http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,41433,00.html

Verizon SUCKS!!!!

Tommy_Davidson
03-03-2002, 07:56 PM
Cable RULES,Tom. I've downloaded songs faster than you could play the whole thing,downloading programs takes just a few seconds most of the time,and surfing is so much faster that dialup is a joke now. Here in town cable is only 15 bucks a month more than our old dialup service with Earthlink,which is about as good as it gets for dialup. I have a friend that runs a hub in Direct Connect on his cable connection,which runs a little faster than my 1.1-1.6 MBPS cable. Tommy D.

heater451
03-03-2002, 11:15 PM
Tom,

Cable is usually a little cheaper than DSL, and it's more readily available (almost every house has coax run in it). One caveat, cable is shared bandwidth, meaning that it's similar to shared plumbing. If there are many people in the neighborhood using cable at the same time, the speed drops unpredictably. I'm not sure of the networking possibilities, either (my brother had cable, but now has DSL--but he changed because he had a bad cable modem, and just wanted to try the DSL instead). Cable usually has lower upload speeds, in comparison to DSL, but that doesn't usually matter, to the 'average' home user.

DSL has a stable connection speed, generally costs more, but you have to be within a certain distance of a DSL "box" (I forget the correct term and distance right now), and you may not be able to get it.

Also, DSL routers are available, if you want to attach multiple machines to the connection, and use standard, CAT-5 cables and RJ-45 jacks, plugged into ethernet adapter cards.

I believe that cable modem routers are available, but I don't know the particulars on them. I could not tell you if they use standard ethernet setups, or if you have to run coax cable to BNC connectors. (I much prefer having to run CAT-5 cabling over coax, if I have a choice).

Basically, if money isn't an issue, I'd advise spending a little more for the DSL. Otherwise, cable is still better than dial-up.

TomBrooklyn
03-04-2002, 05:30 PM
Thanks for all the information. I was seriously leaning towards getting broadband, and the consensus above except for one dissenter solidified my decision.

I spent some time on www.DSLReports.com (http://www.DSLReports.com) which is an excellent site. It looks like the CCB of broadband. Another good site for heavy duty technical info and help is at www.tek-tips.com (http://www.tek-tips.com) for anyone interested in routers or networking broadband or anything else computer.

Now the bad news. I searched for a provider and found there is not one that is serving my location. Bummer. Cable is being promised for late 2002, and I have no idea about DSL. I know a lot of parts of Brooklyn are being served, but here is apparently not one of them. I will try to put this out of mind now, because if I think about it, it will aggravate me. I look forward to getting it as soon as it is available.

This is such a bummer that the only thing that could cheer me up is to take a poll, so.......

heater451
03-04-2002, 05:58 PM
Tom, another option that might be viable for you is http://www.starband.com/

I don't know any one who has tried it, and it seems fairly expensive, but there's the link. . . .

03-04-2002, 06:41 PM
I ALMOST bought Starband once, I had a local dealer all lined up and set a date and time. Then I read that there was
complaints about the user agreement concerning the Intellectual Properties clause and sure enough Starband explicitly stated
that "Starband owned every transmission of any data going through their system, to be used by Starband in any way they
saw fit." I cornered them(along with many current subscribers of theirs already invested) and Starband was only cocky
about it. I gave the installer a call and canceled immediately, he understood my concerns.

Think about it, with no delineation excluding personal e-mail you would be available for God knows what type of use. Now
whether they would ever do such a thing, I don't know. Thing is that Starband costs close to a hundred a month, so I would
think for that I would at least get some privacy, or at least something less than a snob on the other end who merely won't
address such a horrendous clause that YOU ARE FORCED TO SIGN BEFORE BEING ALLOWED TO EVEN USE
THEIR $70-$100 SERVICE.

I'd read the fine print very closely, and as I remember it the agreement you are looking for is almost hidden to the open
public, basically makes me thing they are wanting you to get financially involved before handing you this
document to sign during install ation.sid~~~waits for DSL and may even then forget about paying extra for that...I have after
all gotten to the end of the web

03-04-2002, 10:00 PM
Tom...I could have been the negative response you received, I ran down Starband in a previous post. I tried like hell to get broadband ever since it came out and there STILL hasn't been service(DSL or cable) out where I live except for satellite and that is too expensive. In the meantime while waiting I've discovered that my experience while logged on (in time) isn't that bothersome. But I will take DSL when I can get it, I could relenquish a home phone and use my cellular all the time, making the DSL price basically transparent. BUT it isn't available and honestly is not in the near future to be built up to. Cable is not available either...sid

03-05-2002, 01:10 PM
In case you haven't checked already, you might be able to get RCN cable...

http://rcn.com/

03-05-2002, 11:23 PM
Cable and DSL are not created equal. While its true that Cable speed can slow at peak times, mine has never slowed below 1000k/sec and that's in four years of service. DSL is sold as a tiered service with basic DSL coming in at about 100k/sec for a basic price (about 30 a month in my area) Full bandwidth DSL with phone service is much more expensive.

In four years of service (Comcast in Sarasota, Fl) my service has been down for a total of 2 hours. And that includes during 2 hurricanes.

Cable beats DSL in price, reliability and speed hands down.

TomBrooklyn
03-06-2002, 07:17 PM
Happy Day. I switched my local phone service to Verizon and I was able to immediately sign up for DSL. Apparently, a lot of providers only work through the Baby Bells who own the local phone lines and switching gear etc. I should be up and running with it in a couple of weeks.

Some folks might want to consider sharing it if you are in that situation. I'm going to get a router, run a line and share it with my upstairs neighbor. It will wind up costing me about thirty checkles a month and will still be way faster than dial-up. If I get the next door apartment to chip in, I'll be paying twenty to twenty five a month and I'll bump the service from 768k/128 to 1.5Mb/128k for an extra ten bucks. We won't have cable service for six months, but Verizon signed me up on a month to month lease so I can switch later if I want. Lots of people do that, they share a connection. With a router each computer can be invisible to the others. Now I'm cooking with steam! Increased productivity!