PDA

View Full Version : The Drunk Guy

Voodoo Daddy
10-01-2002, 04:56 PM
Earl and Corey were duking it out on the ACCU-STATS table and most of the CCB were sitting in our area {imagine that?}. There was this guy, I thought he may have had one too many and proved it to all of us. Everytime Earl had his turn at the table he would shout out {I mean loud as hell} one-liners like; "ONE TIME EARL" or "CHALK YOUR STICK EARL". We were cracking up....then he yelled; "MAKE LOVE TO THAT CUEBALL BOY"...thats when I lost it. When he missed he would or when Corey shot the most blatent foul in pools history {another story altogether}, this guy yelled "THAT WAS BULL____"{in a deep southern draw}... We were dying. Saturday at the "Q", Lester and Kato kindly reminded us of him screaming "ONE TIME BABY"...too funny

Lester
10-02-2002, 06:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Voodoo Daddy:</font><hr> Earl and Corey were duking it out on the ACCU-STATS table and most of the CCB were sitting in our area {imagine that?}. There was this guy, I thought he may have had one too many and proved it to all of us. Everytime Earl had his turn at the table he would shout out {I mean loud as hell} one-liners like; "ONE TIME EARL" or "CHALK YOUR STICK EARL". We were cracking up....then he yelled; "MAKE LOVE TO THAT CUEBALL BOY"...thats when I lost it. When he missed he would or when Corey shot the most blatent foul in pools history {another story altogether}, this guy yelled "THAT WAS BULL____"{in a deep southern draw}... We were dying. Saturday at the "Q", Lester and Kato kindly reminded us of him screaming "ONE TIME BABY"...too funny <hr></blockquote>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Voodoo, me not getting to play you one holio was just "BOOLSHEET". lol BTW those "Zebra" pajama pants you wore on Saturday were awesome. ***Lester***

Wally_in_Cincy
10-02-2002, 06:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Voodoo Daddy:</font><hr> when Corey shot the most blatent foul in pools history <hr></blockquote>

Somebody else mentioned that. Apparently Scott Smith and Corey were the only 2 people in the building that thought it was a good hit. If you get time please elaborate. Thanks.

I'll have to get that tape,

Eric.
10-02-2002, 08:17 AM
That guy was great! I gonna buy the Accustat tape of Earl and Corey just to hear him again! Look at it this way, he gave us some comedy relief all weekend.
Here's a good one-
During the Alex vs. Rodney match, I yelled "Chalk it up, Earl" for sh!ts and giggles and someone posted on this board about "Some idiot cheering for Earl and he wasn't even playing(!)" Good stuff.

Eric

9 Ball Girl
10-02-2002, 08:27 AM
That guy was a riot!!! He was there on Saturday night too but was a little more quiet. One of my favorite one liners from this guy was when Corey left Earl a cut shot and the guy yells, "Cut that bi**h in the side, boy!" in his southern drawl! Oh man what a laugh! /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
10-02-2002, 09:07 AM
ob and cb very close. but not touching..
Cory jacked up..and the cb was seen going straight ahead.. ala push.. Earl jumped out of his seat.. thinking (like the rest of the 1000 people there.. that Cory had fouled.

It was a foul.. cue ball passed forward from the double kiss..

Wally_in_Cincy
10-02-2002, 09:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> ob and cb very close. but not touching..
Cory jacked up..and the cb was seen going straight ahead.. ala push.. Earl jumped out of his seat.. thinking (like the rest of the 1000 people there.. that Cory had fouled.

It was a foul.. cue ball passed forward from the double kiss.. <hr></blockquote>

Wow. I thought Scott Smith was a better ref than that. A momentary brainfart perhaps? /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif

9 Ball Girl
10-02-2002, 09:27 AM
Shoot. The rack girl probably could've called a foul on that one! /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif

10-02-2002, 11:03 AM
I'm a little curious... does anyone know for sure if the balls were not frozen? From my vantage point, I couldn't tell... I was quite far away.

Thanks,
Steve

Lester
10-02-2002, 11:06 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Steve_Lipsky:</font><hr> I'm a little curious... does anyone know for sure if the balls were not frozen? From my vantage point, I couldn't tell... I was quite far away.

Thanks,
Steve
<hr></blockquote>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Steve, I thought they were frozen, but I couldn't tell for sure. And when the big hubbub happened, I just thought I was wrong. ***Lester***

Ross
10-02-2002, 11:12 AM
Steve,
I thought they may have been frozen as well, and in that case I'm not sure it was a foul. I know under some rule sets, if they are frozen, you may shoot through the ball with a normal stroke. You just can't do one of those slow "push" strokes.
What were you told at the players meeting about the rules for shooting when the cb is frozen to the ob?

nAz
10-02-2002, 11:25 AM
i dont understand it was a FOUL and earl didnt go Ballistic????

WesK
10-02-2002, 11:26 AM
We need to check out the pay-per-view.

There was a really good replay of the shot that should show what happened one way or the other.

I saw it being played on the big screen in the corner but I'm too blind to tell for sure even with it blown up that big.

wes

10-02-2002, 11:27 AM
Well, they never went over this particular rule (which is strange, because they usually do). But they did mention they were playing "Pro Express" rules.

In Pro Express, it is perfectly acceptable to shoot right through a frozen ball. I thought Corey was jacking up because he didn't want to let whitey fly after he made the bank. In other words, he jacked up purely for positional purposes, and not to avoid a foul.

I must say that my initial thought on the hit was that it was NOT a foul, but I was basing that entirely on my assumption that the balls must have been frozen.

- Steve

10-02-2002, 11:29 AM
Naz, it was probably not a foul, and Earl did go ballistic. However, this was done simply to shark Corey.

Of course, if the balls were not frozen, it was a foul, and Earl had every right to be upset with the call.

- Steve

nAz
10-02-2002, 11:35 AM
ahh i see now i have to see the video, wonder if accuestat will edit out the audence comments

10-02-2002, 02:00 PM
Ok. Whether it WAS a foul or not, can only be determined by if the balls were frozen or not.
So if they were...no big deal. If they weren't, Earl got robbed. BUT..... This is the taboo/not supposed to talk about it part. The BETTING line on the match was PICK don't 10. Which means that whomever you pick wins and the opponent can't get to 10 for you to win the bet.
If it goes hill hill....the book wins all bets on both sides.
SO...seeing that there was someone who stood to gain from this. Should that someone really be in a position to make calls on would be fouls if their PERSONAL income is on the line?
The match DID go hill hill, and the book won all bets on it.
Was it a good call or not? Who knows.
Should that person been the one to make the call?
THAT'S the REAL question!
Isn't there SOME sort of conflict of interests if the guy making the book is the one to make the calls as well.
Why is it that nobody ever talks about this part of pool.
Do the people really think that it doesn't affect the game?

In a match between a betting favorite and his opponent. You mean to tell me that the people who bet heavy don't have an agenda. Sharking and making noise and taunting players?!
Ever wonder why there is that bunch of people who just don't shut up. Why, for example, that Beeper went off TWICE while Ralf S. was trying to shoot the 6 ball against Earl. (he had to get up the first time)
Ignorance??? Agenda???
Only they know for sure...but i DO know that it shouldn't be a part of this great game we play.

Granted....odds of a biased call happening in a FEATURE match are unlikely, but you NEVER know. As for the crowd.
I have been to MANY tournaments where betting was present. Having witnessed FIRST hand what lengths people on the sidelines can do to distract someone they are betting on. I think it is a part of pool that can be done away with.
Enough said!

Cuemage
10-02-2002, 04:50 PM
Tha balls looked frozen from my viewpoint...

Tha Cuemage

10-02-2002, 05:06 PM
I guess the humor on this is lost on me. What a worthless, oxygen wasting, piece of s--t this guy must be. If Earl and Corey wanted to grab this guy, drag the guy outside, and disembowel him after the match, I'd hold the door for them on their way out.

Behaviour like that is not funny or cute to me. It is despicable. If someone is such and idiotic, worthless piece of garbage that they can't handle a little alcohol without interfering in other people's business, perhaps they would be better off staying at home and drinking until they die of alcohol poisoning. They'd be doing the rest of the world a favor, too.

Guess I've had different life experiences than others that find that kind of behaviour funny...

PQQLK9
10-02-2002, 05:17 PM
my sentiments exactly...

Vicki
10-02-2002, 08:27 PM
A lot of people were upset by the call but in Scott Smith's defense, we were sitting in the stands and he was standing next to the table. It did seem questionable but without being able to walk down to tableside to determine if the balls were frozen we cannot make the call. That is a controversial shot no matter how you look at it - no matter who calls the shot.

I was sitting with Voodoo Daddy when the shot was made and he thought it was a bad hit. When I said to him the same thing I just said here, he told me that he was sure the balls were not frozen. So, for those of you who believe as my buddy Voodoo Daddy believes, we will have to agree to disagree.

Vicki

Voodoo Daddy
10-02-2002, 09:17 PM
Wow Mike, tell us how you really feel....

Voodoo Daddy
10-02-2002, 09:21 PM
In fairness to Vicki and Scott, I wasnt as close as he was. I did in fact look at the monitor that the Accu-stats commentators were looking at. To me, when a ball takes the path of the object ball with the same speed...its a foul. I guess the 750+ in the stands, Earl and me saw that but Scott didnt. It is a matter of opinion though... High 5 to Vicki

10-03-2002, 10:49 AM
You sound like a true pool fan. Maybe you should have asked him out, sounds like your kind of guy.

10-03-2002, 10:54 AM
Yea buy the tape, you can relive you moment of fame. What jerk.

9 Ball Girl
10-03-2002, 01:51 PM
Nah. He didn't have too much liquor in him like any true pool fan! /ccboard/images/icons/tongue.gif

And...if this is the regular poster who is posting as anonymous to start things up cause he's bored and who likes to read the occasional banters that go on here, I know who you are. I've already been told by another regular poster.

Barbara
10-03-2002, 06:51 PM
Did the opponent (Earl) stand up and say to his opponent (Corey), "I want to see this situation, because I might want to call over a ref to watch this shot?"

Well if not, then the sitting player got what they deserve.

And the playing opponent will have to live with their actions for the rest of their life.

Barbara~~~lets the Pool Gods decide from then on...

Tom_In_Cincy
10-03-2002, 10:14 PM
Scott Smith was the ref on this game.. he watched all the shots.. it was all ball fouls. Not just cue ball fouls. Earl didn't have to say a word..

MikeM
10-03-2002, 10:30 PM
I'm not totally positive but I believe that Scotty ruled before the shot that the balls were frozen. We'll have to wait for the tape to be sure and I can't wiat for that tape!

MM

WesK
10-03-2002, 11:03 PM
I have, in hand, a copy of the tape and I'll take a look at it tomorrow. Hopefully, the replay that was on the big screen is also in the broadcast.

wes

10-04-2002, 12:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> And...if this is the regular poster who is posting as anonymous to start things up cause he's bored and who likes to read the occasional banters that go on here, I know who you are. I've already been told by another regular poster. <hr></blockquote>You want to see things get started up in here girl? Say the name.

Some people never learn.
Slim

Eric.
10-04-2002, 07:57 AM
Scott Smith went over and examined the balls, then stood by the shot! I'll buy the Accu-stat, hopefully it's on there. The call could have been disaster for Earl as that was at a momentum swing in the match. Earl was up 3-0 earlier and Corey caught a stroke...

Eric