PDA

View Full Version : London is here again!!!

eg8r
05-14-2012, 06:49 AM
Well, we did not get a chance to check out the Olympics stadium but we did take yet another tour through London. This time we did the Big Bus tour and sat on it for a couple hours and listened to everything and hopped on and off the second go around. I am fascinated by history and the impact different cultures make as time moves on. One thing that still seems confusing to me is, what is London and what is just called London. I guess the actual city of London is only 1 square mile and then there is the city of Westminster. It was confusing to me but probably because that is just my fault. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Anways, I absolutely love it here but don't think I will be able to handle the food for another month.

eg8r

Soflasnapper
05-14-2012, 12:47 PM
The 'City of London' is the financial district, and it is quite small, maybe a few square blocks. I suppose the real city has its own boundaries, and then a metropolitan area not actually in the city limits, but I'm not sure how they do things in England.

Interesting, and oddly, the Lord-Mayor of the City of London apparently outranks the Queen, who must seek his permission to enter, and then curtsy to him (???). I think there is no protocol like that for the Queen with any other world figure, who are at most co-equals, none outranking her except that one guy.

See if you can get to the Tower of London, where they used to torture and behead people, like some wives of Henry VIII. Not for the torture room (although it was still on public display last I heard), but for the crown jewels. I think the Hope Diamond is still on display there.

eg8r
05-14-2012, 03:26 PM
We went to the London Tower but the group I was with did not want to spend the additional 21gbp nor did they want to walk around. I will be here for a month so I will try to get over to see it. There is also a place called London Dungeons or something like that which goes into that very dark history of London. We stayed at the Marriott at the Marble Arch and thought it was pretty cool history about the arch and the land where it is at. We will be going to Brighton Pavilion later this week and then spend the weekend in Paris.

In 3 weeks I am going to spend the weekend in Scotland and we are going to visit the castle which was filmed in the Highlander movie. I am stoked about that.

eg8r

Soflasnapper
05-14-2012, 04:49 PM
Well, don't forget, there can only be one!

Godspeed on your journeys.

Qtec
05-14-2012, 05:32 PM
London is now called Greater London. Over the years it has grown and consumed the surrounding towns like Croydon.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Croydon is a large town in South London, England, located within the London Borough of Croydon to which it gives its name. It is situated 9.5 miles (15.3 km) south of Charing Cross. The area is identified in the London Plan as one of 11 metropolitan centres in Greater London.[1] </div></div>

I lived there for 5 years, didn't like it that much. One of the problems is that its too big! In London you can get on the Metro and 3 hours later, you're still in London!

Q

Qtec
05-14-2012, 05:40 PM
http://www.steveheimoff.com/images/crown%20jewels.jpg

The vault door is about 6ft thick!!

http://www.hethuisvanoranje.nl/17%20Soevereine%20Juwelen%20en%20Sieraden/Kroonjuwelen/Crown%20Jewels.jpg

Q

Gayle in MD
05-14-2012, 11:20 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 'City of London' is the financial district, and it is quite small, maybe a few square blocks. I suppose the real city has its own boundaries, and then a metropolitan area not actually in the city limits, but I'm not sure how they do things in England.

Interesting, and oddly, the Lord-Mayor of the City of London apparently outranks the Queen, who must seek his permission to enter, and then curtsy to him (???). I think there is no protocol like that for the Queen with any other world figure, who are at most co-equals, none outranking her except that one guy.

See if you can get to the Tower of London, where they used to torture and behead people, like some wives of Henry VIII. Not for the torture room (although it was still on public display last I heard), but for the crown jewels. I think the Hope Diamond is still on display there. </div></div>

The Hope Diamond is still at the Smithsonian, in Washington D.C., I believe.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-cultu...nsite_content=A (http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/A-New-Chapter-in-the-Hope-Diamonds-History.html?onsite_source=relatedarticles&onsite_medium=internallink&onsite_campaign=SmithMag&onsite_content=A) New Chapter in the Hope Diamondís History

Soflasnapper
05-15-2012, 09:52 AM
Where I saw it, without remembering until you mention it, so many years ago. Whoops! (-- Rick Perry)

Gayle in MD
05-16-2012, 04:00 AM
Happens to all of us, my friend. It's the pollution. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

eg8r
05-17-2012, 09:23 AM
It is large. One day I hope to live in a city where I can rely on mass transit. I don't think could last too long but I have always wondered what life was like using a subway to get everywhere I want to go.

eg8r

eg8r
05-17-2012, 09:24 AM
Wow. I just cannot imagine this type of wealth.

eg8r