PDA

View Full Version : Positive results of the Obama presidency.

LWW
05-20-2012, 09:52 AM
Causing Nazi Pelsi to no longer be SOTH.

Causing the dems to lose control of the house.

I can't come up with anything else.

Soflasnapper
05-20-2012, 10:37 AM
Opinions vary on this one, of course.

However, as you mention 'positive' rather than 'great' or 'optimal,' ANY positive thing, even if it was less than great, should count for this list.

And if that's the standard, the stimulus was certainly positive, if not wholly adequate to be thought great. Or maybe it was great, actually.

Just look at the time series of various economic related figures in '09, and where the inflection point was-- which was as of the passing of the stimulus and the beginning of that spending.

Turning a -9% gdp decline in 4Q08 into a +3% gdp as of 2Q09 (and continuing positive real gdp growth since then until now) by itself was extremely positive. But what that meant, as to preventing the continuation of the prior year's trends downward, means it saved the country from the Great Depression II it was headed for.

pooltchr
05-20-2012, 04:42 PM
I was not at all happy when Obama won the election, but at that time, I thought that the one positive would be that the country would finally see the destructive nature of the Dem policies to our country. After two years in office, the warnings from the voters were issued. As those warnings were ignored, I suspect the Dems will probably lose control of Washington. Whether or not the Reps take advantage of the opportunity remains to be seen. Somebody has to be big enough to put the country ahead of their own political ambitions, and their political party. It's going to take a while to undo the damage this administration has done. In my 60 years, I have never seen our country more divided than they have become under the reign of the "uniter".
Steve

cushioncrawler
05-20-2012, 04:48 PM
Every cloud haz a silver lining.
Its an ill wind that blows no good.
One man's meat iz another man's poison.

Even Bush had hiz pozitivs. I think. Praps i will kall a friend on that.

The biggest pozitiv of obama woz without doubt the tsunami in japan. Geez i hate the japs.
mac.

Soflasnapper
05-20-2012, 05:49 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was not at all happy when Obama won the election, but at that time, I thought that the one positive would be that the country would finally see the destructive nature of the Dem policies to our country. After two years in office, the warnings from the voters were issued. As those warnings were ignored, I suspect the Dems will probably lose control of Washington. Whether or not the Reps take advantage of the opportunity remains to be seen. Somebody has to be big enough to put the country ahead of their own political ambitions, and their political party. It's going to take a while to undo the damage this administration has done. In my 60 years, I have never seen our country more divided than they have become under the reign of the "uniter".
Steve </div></div>

The country had already seen the destructive nature of GOP policies to our country, and twice voted strongly against the GOP. (That's how the Dems took back the House in the fall '06 election.)

As for the problems with the supposed Dem policies, those were mainly not Dem policies, but warmed over GOP policies, which Obama tried in vain as the exact kind of bipartisan approach (ditching the shibboleths of his own party) people not paying attention advise. (He was quite mistaken in terms of the economic punch to put so much of the stimulus into the tax breaks the GOP preferred, for example. He was also mistaken to allow the funding mechanism for health care the GOP created and supported right through about June of '09-- the individual mandate-- which the Dems did not want, and in fact, didn't pass originally in the THREE first House bills passed.)

While the country was missing the causes of the relatively poor Obama term performance in terms of his compromise attempts with the GOP, they blamed Dems, whether turning away from Democratic Party prescriptions or not.

Qtec
05-21-2012, 01:31 AM
http://thinkprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Obamabudgetchart.png

http://www.cbpp.org/images/cms//5-10-11bud-f1.jpg

http://images2.dailykos.com/i/user/6685/cbpp5-12-11bud2.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> As you can see, much of the “record” deficit and debt had nothing to do with the Obama administration. But, Republicans will insist that the deficit is out of control and that happened on Obama’s watch beginning in 2009 and getting worse every year since then.

This is super-colossal lie.</div></div>

Q

Gayle in MD
05-21-2012, 08:19 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> http://thinkprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Obamabudgetchart.png

http://www.cbpp.org/images/cms//5-10-11bud-f1.jpg

http://images2.dailykos.com/i/user/6685/cbpp5-12-11bud2.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> As you can see, much of the “record” deficit and debt had nothing to do with the Obama administration. But, Republicans will insist that the deficit is out of control and that happened on Obama’s watch beginning in 2009 and getting worse every year since then.

This is super-colossal lie.</div></div>

Q </div></div>

Given that president Obama kept the bubbas out of the soup line, you'd think they could at the least finally admit that it was their boy Bush who originally threw this country into the debt ditch, warring and cutting taxes at the same time, and putting all of it on the credit card to communist countries.

"The deficits don't matter!" Dick Cheney...AND That was the Bush administration mantra, about which a certain member here gave rave reviews, to Cheney!!!!

It was all good debt, that is until there was a Democrat in the white House, who had to spend some money in order to divert the Bush Depression, finish up two unfinished, unpaid for, wars, one that was a complete failure of policy, which advantaged our enemies, AND additionally, the new president had to deal with a collapsed economy, and uncaring, unpatriotic Repiglicans, whose stated ONLY MAIN GOAL, was a political goal, not restoring the economy, and then proceeded to obstruct EVERYTHING.

My oh my, the right is still in denial, in spite of unarguable proof that Republican Economic policies FAILED, and yet they and Romney want more of the same, annd will vote for the Job Crusher cult member. It's called no principles. Just knee jerk bubbaism, based on sheer ignorance.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

G.

Soflasnapper
05-21-2012, 10:09 AM
The high cost of dealing with the aftermath of those policies has shocked the populace. It is shocking. But it is the cost those prior policies incurred.

Imagine the sheer economic terror that would have been caused had the first thing done been to try to cut spending enough to 'balance' the budget in O's first years. It would have been a self-defeating spiral to oblivion, causing further economic collapse of revenues, needing further federal spending cuts-- rinse and repeat.

Gayle in MD
05-21-2012, 12:14 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The high cost of dealing with the aftermath of those policies has shocked the populace. It is shocking. But it is the cost those prior policies incurred.

Imagine the sheer economic terror that would have been caused had the first thing done been to try to cut spending enough to 'balance' the budget in O's first years. It would have been a self-defeating spiral to oblivion, causing further economic collapse of revenues, needing further federal spending cuts-- rinse and repeat. </div></div>

Absolutely! Those who deny that, are truly sucking up the Kool Aid as fast as they can, but that's precisely what they were doing when we Liberals were telling themm exactly where the Bush policies would led us, and what really gets them, is that we on the left were precisely correct. THAT really kills 'em. That is where all oof the nastiness comes from.

Now, by just taking a good hard look at the failed austerity measures used by some European countries, is further proof that this president did the right things to prevent the Bush Depression.

And, additionally, things would have been even better by now, if Republican Governors weren't hell bent on firing as many people as they could, lying about the reasons, and lying about the need, all for political purposes, to keep unemployment as high as they could, for political purposes.

Unprecedented Republican Obstructionism on The Hill, while having to deal with a boatload of Tea Party elected amateurs who don't have a clue about a damn thing except that they are beholden to their unelected Guru of failed
"Trickle Down"....Grover the joker.

If the obstructionists Republicans hadn't blocked using more money in the stimulus, and hadn't called compromise a dirty word, and had had enough patriotism about them to give a damn about what many Americans have had to pay for failed Republican Policies, more of the investments this president has been pushing for all along, would have led to more of President Obama's accomplishments, which would be even greater than they already are.

Precisely why Republicans blocked everything.

G.

Soflasnapper
05-21-2012, 01:04 PM
Precisely why Republicans blocked everything.

True. But to be fair, they did give the new guy approximately 4 hours from his inauguration before their strategy meeting decided to totally oppose him. So there was the honeymoon period. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Gayle in MD
05-21-2012, 01:16 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Precisely why Republicans blocked everything.

True. But to be fair, they did give the new guy approximately 4 hours from his inauguration before their strategy meeting decided to totally oppose him. So there was the honeymoon period. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif
</div></div>

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif Check!