PDA

View Full Version : Penn Jillette

eg8r
05-22-2012, 03:57 AM
I was just wondering if Penn Jillette's, who is more actively working than the last comedian mentioned, criticism of Obama carry any weight with the lefties?

eg8r

eg8r
05-22-2012, 04:10 AM
Penn Jillette has a great common sense approach that I think very few of us on this board use when thinking about the ideas and policies of the opposing party...

Is Obama Skidding or Crashing (http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/04/01/jillette.skid/index.html)

eg8r <~~~~no idea of Penn's party affiliation

Qtec
05-22-2012, 05:24 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was just wondering if Penn Jillette's, who is more actively working than the last comedian mentioned, criticism of Obama carry any weight with the lefties?

eg8r </div></div>

Its his opinion and no, I don't agree with him on this issue.

Where i do agree with him is on this issue.
link (http://nation.foxnews.com/penn-jillette/2012/05/21/watch-penn-jillette-goes-epic-obama-weed-tirade)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> In a recent episode of his podcast "Penn's Sunday School," comedian Penn Jillette laid his opinions on the Obama drug policies out on the table.
Jillette, who has never done drugs or drank alcohol in his life, expressed particular concern over the policies' broad-sweeping, all-inclusive nature. Namely, that people are going to prison because of marijuana use.

"Now, he has not left this to states' rights," Jillette posited. "As you know, medical marijuana... you can get in California, and the feds are coming in to try to stop this. States' rights don't mean jack sh*t to the Obama administration on anything except gay marriage."

PENN:

What troubles me about this... I think it's beyond hypocrisy. I think it's something to do with class. A lot of people have accused Obama of class warfare, but in the wrong direction. I believe this is Obama chortling with Jimmy Fallon about lower class people.<span style='font-size: 14pt'> Do we believe, even for a second, that if Obama had been busted for marijuana -- under the laws that he condones -- would his life have been better? If Obama had been caught with the marijuana that he says he uses, and 'maybe a little blow'... if he had been busted under his laws, he would have done hard f*cking time. And if he had done time in prison, time in federal prison, time for his 'weed' and 'a little blow,' he would not be President of the United States of America.</span> He would not have gone to his fancy-a** college, he would not have sold books that sold millions and millions of copies and made millions and millions of dollars, he would not have a beautiful, smart wife, he would not have a great job. He would have been in f*cking prison, and it's not a god damn joke. <span style='font-size: 14pt'>People who smoke marijuana must be set free. It is insane to lock people up.</span></div></div>

Even Pelosi is saying Obama is wrong on his MM crackdown.

Q

Soflasnapper
05-22-2012, 09:38 AM
I propose that the proper analogy is a plane flying that has hit stall speed, threatening to crash to the ground.

The remedy is to push down the yoke and dive TOWARDS the ground to gain air speed to restore the lift. Sounds crazy, and it IS doing what you fear would be the worst result that you are trying to avoid, which is plummeting to the ground. And here, the pilot is MAKING IT WORSE???!!! But that is the proper action-- ask any pilot.

The obvious thing, which is if you want to avoid plummeting, then pull BACK on the yoke to nose up, is exactly the worst thing to do. Just as it is the wrong thing to do immediately, it is also the wrong thing to do prematurely, before sufficient air speed is regained.

In the meantime, any passengers will be scared to death with the plummeting, and convinced the pilot has lost his mind. Just as Jilette says is true for the couple of counterintuitive but correct actions in the cases he describes. They sound crazy, and people could easily think they were totally crazy, using common sense.

eg8r
05-22-2012, 10:04 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The remedy is to push down the yoke and dive TOWARDS the ground to gain air speed to restore the lift. Sounds crazy, and it IS doing what you fear would be the worst result that you are trying to avoid, which is plummeting to the ground. And here, the pilot is MAKING IT WORSE???!!! But that is the proper action-- ask any pilot.

</div></div>You aren't rebutting anything he said and basically agreeing with him just using your own analogy. He is saying counter intuition is a good thing...only when it works out. He doesn't know if this will pan out so he is hoping it will but common sense has him pause with reservation.

His response is clearly not an attack but a way of viewing both options and having a wait and see approach. This is something rarely seen on this board for sure.

eg8r

Soflasnapper
05-22-2012, 02:08 PM
Yes, I know I wasn't disagreeing with him, just proposing a different analogy. But his steer into the skid analogy is also a good one.

Sometimes the right thing to do seems crazy unless you have specialty knowledge. Which everyone assumes they have, despite knowing next to nothing about the matters in question.