PDA

View Full Version : Has BD gone to the dogs?

Fran Crimi
05-22-2012, 09:55 AM
Is Mike Panozzo more concerned with is deli these days than he is with Billiards Digest?

How does any reputable company that wants to turn a profit not look after their web site? I mean...c'mon!

First of all, look at the front page: For how many more months are we going to learn how to 'deconstruct the jump shot?' I love Tony Robles and Thorsten Hohmann, but hasn't that stuff been there for over a year? Plus, the "breaking" news is never current. There is obviously no one maintining this site on a daily basis.

As for this forum, it's truly a joke the way it constantly gets spammed and then the spam gets to stay there for a ridiculous amount of time. I like what AZ does --- I know they do this when you want to conduct a search and I don't remember if they do it when you register, but it's a great idea. They ask you a pool related question, like, "What is the nickname of Efren Reyes, or What is the last name of Captain Hook?" It helps to weed out the spammers.

There are other security measures that can be taken with a little time and care, however, there seems to be neither an investment in time or care with this web site. It's truly a pity. Years ago it was the best place to come to discuss pool. Now it's the worst.

What we need in this industry are people who actually care. That doesn't seem to be the case here.

dg-in-centralpa
05-22-2012, 10:44 AM
Fran,
I agree with you. If someone was monitoring, the NPR side would have been shut down years ago. That side used to be fun but I quit going there. Way too much name calling and fighting. I cancelled my subscription to BD as it came in the middle of the month. This site is almost an afterthought.
Duane

Eric.
05-22-2012, 11:33 AM
Fran,

I think many of us feel this way. I know I do.

BD was one of the first pool forums I hung out on. This was back in the late 90's when forums weren't nearly as sophisticated. We couldn't even send PM's, back then. Despite all that, the BD forum thrived. I met some new friends, that have become old friends, now.

Unfortunately, something changed here, in the mid 2000's. I'm not entirely sure what happened, but do long for "the old days".

Lastly, I wonder who moderates this forum?

Eric >Bueller?

Tampa Kathy
05-22-2012, 06:27 PM
I know the answer to that one, Rick someone. Yelled at me for yapping at someone that was giving me a hard time. And the "shout box" is a cess pool.

ccboard_admin_back
05-22-2012, 09:33 PM
Fran, this forum does not have a new user feature like the one that AzB has. They run two different types of forum software.

We remove spam here, but we need to be notified that it is there. If you see spam, please click the 'notify' button and we will be emailed about it. Same as AzB. Mods don't read all of the posts on either site.

Rich R.
05-23-2012, 05:11 AM
Fran, I agree with you totally.
IMHO, everything on the forum changed a few years ago when the NPR section started getting crazy. I know a number of people left the forum because of the political zelots constantly attacking everyone. Many of the people who left were active in the pool section so that really hurt the traffic here.
I don't think I have been to the NPR side in a couple of years.
I really wish the tide would turn. This used to be the best of all of the pool forums.

Rich R.
05-23-2012, 05:13 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tampa Kathy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know the answer to that one, Rick someone. Yelled at me for yapping at someone that was giving me a hard time. And the "shout box" is a cess pool. </div></div>
Kathy, if you're referring to me, I didn't yell at anyone. I stepped in when it was apparent that you were "yapping" at one person but you directed your post at someone else who was innocent. You can yap at anyone you want but direct it to the proper person.

Fran Crimi
05-23-2012, 07:22 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ccboard_admin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fran, this forum does not have a new user feature like the one that AzB has. They run two different types of forum software.

We remove spam here, but we need to be notified that it is there. If you see spam, please click the 'notify' button and we will be emailed about it. Same as AzB. Mods don't read all of the posts on either site.

</div></div>

I think we all figured that out a long time ago that unless one of us notifies BD, the spam would remain. One quick glance at the home page reveals a list of the latest threads. The spam threads were on the home page for days. So, BD doesn't even look at it's own home page for days at a time??

Fran Crimi
05-23-2012, 07:45 AM
I think it's more than that, Rich. I think there's a genuine lack of enthusiasm at the home office. The magazine clearly no longer has the ad revenue it once did due to the internet. If it's unwilling to move with the times and build up the only other resource it has left --- it's web site --- then how can it stay alive?

Rich R.
05-23-2012, 07:40 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fran Crimi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think it's more than that, Rich. I think there's a genuine lack of enthusiasm at the home office. The magazine clearly no longer has the ad revenue it once did due to the internet. If it's unwilling to move with the times and build up the only other resource it has left --- it's web site --- then how can it stay alive? </div></div>
I totally agree Fran. Those of us involved in running the annual CCB Tournament know that, other than an occassional bone, the magazine had very little interest in our efforts to keep the forum active.
As far as the front page of the web site goes, I don't even bother to read it because the news is always old. From the web site, you would never know that it is run by a major pool magazine. The news on other sites is much more timely.
Obviously, BD hasn't figured out that their is revenue to be made from the internet.

Deeman3
05-24-2012, 09:54 PM
I left NPR couple of years ago when it became a simple hate forum. That causes me to only check in on occasion and like Fran I don,t think anyone cares.

TomBrooklyn
06-28-2012, 08:51 AM
I liked the BD forum in the old format. That was self-moderated.

I liked this new format that started back in 2002 at first too. I was the first one to join. This was much more sophisticated than the old forum, of course.

I didn't like when they got a moderator here, though. I liked it better when it was self-moderated. It was amazing how well that worked.

Later, they started adding content to the front page. I never cared that much about that stuff, anyway. So I don't mind if it's not up to date.

Fenwick
07-18-2012, 12:20 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ccboard_admin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fran, this forum does not have a new user feature like the one that AzB has. They run two different types of forum software.

</div></div>
I reported spam and it's still there.

Fenwick
07-18-2012, 12:21 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fran Crimi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is Mike Panozzo more concerned with is deli these days than he is with Billiards Digest?

How does any reputable company that wants to turn a profit not look after their web site? I mean...c'mon!

First of all, look at the front page: For how many more months are we going to learn how to 'deconstruct the jump shot?' I love Tony Robles and Thorsten Hohmann, but hasn't that stuff been there for over a year? Plus, the "breaking" news is never current. There is obviously no one maintining this site on a daily basis.

As for this forum, it's truly a joke the way it constantly gets spammed and then the spam gets to stay there for a ridiculous amount of time. I like what AZ does --- I know they do this when you want to conduct a search and I don't remember if they do it when you register, but it's a great idea. They ask you a pool related question, like, "What is the nickname of Efren Reyes, or What is the last name of Captain Hook?" It helps to weed out the spammers.

There are other security measures that can be taken with a little time and care, however, there seems to be neither an investment in time or care with this web site. It's truly a pity. Years ago it was the best place to come to discuss pool. Now it's the worst.

What we need in this industry are people who actually care. That doesn't seem to be the case here. </div></div>

I hate to say it but one less book mark as of today.

ccboard_admin_back
07-18-2012, 02:05 PM
Fenwick, we review spam reports very quickly and I have nothing here from you.

Admin

DiabloViejo
07-24-2012, 08:23 PM
Folks..people make a forum what it is. If you want to get this particular forum back up and running properly then don't just bitch and moan, get off your keister and post something good, useful, or instructive. If you don't like spam report it immediately every single time you see it. If you don't like politics in NPR then post something non-political there and ignore the other stuff. 'Nuff said!

Fenwick
07-27-2012, 01:57 PM
Fenwick, we review spam reports very quickly and I have nothing here from you.

Admin
You just called me a liar!

DiabloViejo
You talking to me?

By By.

DiabloViejo
07-28-2012, 02:08 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fenwick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fenwick, we review spam reports very quickly and I have nothing here from you.

Admin
You just called me a liar!

DiabloViejo
You talking to me?

By By.

</div></div>

No, I was not referring to any one individual. Which is why I used the word "folks". Sorry if you took it as an attack on you personally.

Fenwick
07-28-2012, 10:33 AM
DiabloViejo
We're cool.

I may Bull $hit but I don't lie.
I know my place here. I'm a little fish in a big sea. Maybe I don't have a lot to contribute here but I do pass information on.

KellyStick
07-30-2012, 06:38 PM
I have been away for a couple years. I came back and made a couple posts with no replies. THis is not the same place as it was two years ago that is for darn sure. It's a bit sad. BUt things change and evolve and so forth.

KellyStick
07-30-2012, 06:41 PM
one thing that has not changed is that I still struggle to read Cushioncrawler. Keep it up! LOL

dr_dave
08-01-2012, 06:52 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KellyStick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been away for a couple years. I came back and made a couple posts with no replies. THis is not the same place as it was two years ago that is for darn sure. It's a bit sad. BUt things change and evolve and so forth.</div></div>Many of us seem to spend more time on AZB's forum, where there is much more activity; although, I miss the active BD CCB days (... except for that "PopCorn" guy). Maybe those days can return.

Regards,
Dave