PDA

View Full Version : playing spouse,friend,so when one is high sl

bluewolf
10-02-2002, 04:42 AM
ww and i have been trying to come up with a handicap system that will be fair to help me overcome some of my nervousness.

first day we played 7-2 race and i got 3 balls in hand per game. i did not think i could ever win because that still leaves 4 i gotta get in against a 7 before he runs all his. lucked out at 5-2.played same way last night and i was focussing on relaxing and my stroke and follow through so shot better.ended up 2-2

next we tried...i shoot regular way,he has to get all of his in by bank shots.this was pretty close.we only played one game like this.i think he won but at least it went down to the last ball. oh yeah, i lost because only shot i had was a long bank on the 8(shitty at banks).it went in but double banked into the wrong hole.

then we played i play rightie he plays leftie. that worked pretty good.we played a couple like that.we figured as a leftie he is a high 3 low four.

any other ideas of fun ways to play pool when you are way better or way worse.it sure isnt any fun if you get cremated every game and it gets boring if you run out everygame.

bw

Chris Cass
10-02-2002, 04:55 AM
Play 9ball everytime someone wins a game the opponent gets a wild ball. Example: if he wins 4 straight the 5th game you should be down to the wild 5 out. To make it alittle less racking, don't count the wild balls on the snap. That's if the person breaking is getting any. If he gets you down to the 1 out? He should be more than in dead stroke, he'll have lost a few pounds sweating.

C.C.

bluewolf
10-02-2002, 05:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Chris Cass:</font><hr> Play 9ball everytime someone wins a game the opponent gets a wild ball. Example: if he wins 4 straight the 5th game you should be down to the wild 5 out. To make it alittle less racking, don't count the wild balls on the snap. That's if the person breaking is getting any. If he gets you down to the 1 out? He should be more than in dead stroke, he'll have lost a few pounds sweating.

C.C. <hr></blockquote>

gosh chris. this sounds interesting but if i am a 2 in 8ball, i am a -2 in 9 ball.ww can run a 9 ball rack.it usually takes me 2-3 tries just to get the one in.

are you saying he spots me the 5 ball only,so i win if the five goes in. there is a guy here who plays 9 ball basically i think a+ or pro. he spots his opponents (who are probably about like ww) 2 balls on every rack so if they get in the 5,7 or 9, they win.

Maybe he should spot me 3,5,7 and 9 since i hardly know the rules. i just found out you could hit any ball in as long as you hit the next higher one first.

what about straight pool variations? i like calling pockets.it does nothing for my self image if i aim the ball at one pocket and it misses but goes in another. to me that is a [censored]-shot.

bw

Chris Cass
10-02-2002, 05:26 AM
NO NO NO,

Everytime WW wins or you it doesn't matter, someone gets a ball. If he wins the first game, you get the 8 and 9 wild the second game. If he wins the next game, you get the 7,8 and 9 wild. If he wins the third game, you get the 6,7,8 and 9 wild. If he wins the 4th game you'll be getting the 5,6,7,8, and 9 wild. So, by the fifth game you'll only have to slop in one of those balls to win. If he gets you down to the 1 ball out? You'll have to sell your cue. Oh, everytime you win, you give up a ball too. Who know's? You could even be spotting him a ball? Either way, it'll make practicing exciting for both of you.

C.C.

bluewolf
10-02-2002, 05:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Chris Cass:</font><hr> NO NO NO,

Everytime WW wins or you it doesn't matter, someone gets a ball. If he wins the first game, you get the 8 and 9 wild the second game. If he wins the next game, you get the 7,8 and 9 wild. If he wins the third game, you get the 6,7,8 and 9 wild. If he wins the 4th game you'll be getting the 5,6,7,8, and 9 wild. So, by the fifth game you'll only have to slop in one of those balls to win. If he gets you down to the 1 ball out? You'll have to sell your cue. Oh, everytime you win, you give up a ball too. Who know's? You could even be spotting him a ball? Either way, it'll make practicing exciting for both of you.

C.C. <hr></blockquote>

thanks chris. now i understand.that does sound like fun.we can try that today.

bw

rackmup
10-02-2002, 05:48 AM
Make him shoot opposite handed, using a broom, no chalk, bristle end as the tip, he has to make all of his balls into the same pocket, you get the wild 5, he wears an eyepatch on his dominant eye and after every third ball that he makes, you get to kick him in the groin.

That'll level the old playing field.

Regards,

Ken

10-02-2002, 10:31 AM
I like this one on big mismatches. You play 8-ball, he plays 9 ball. That is he has to sink his group in order, then the 8. Believe me it isn't easy, you'll be getting lots of trips to the table. St

bluewolf
10-02-2002, 11:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: rackmup:</font><hr> Make him shoot opposite handed, using a broom, no chalk, bristle end as the tip, he has to make all of his balls into the same pocket, you get the wild 5, he wears an eyepatch on his dominant eye and after every third ball that he makes, you get to kick him in the groin.

That'll level the old playing field.

Regards,

Ken <hr></blockquote>

LOL this is too funny. we played leftie today and were dead even so its a 3-2 race. LOL

bw

Sid_Vicious
10-02-2002, 12:23 PM
I like that...that stronger player will definetely have to bone up, which is what he/she should want to have to do in friendly games...sid

Patrick
10-04-2002, 04:14 AM
Good handicap is that the better player needs to kick the 9-ball in, but I didn't win much when I tried.
You can also play 3 rail bank or kick the 9, or combinations of it, like kick double bank, or 2 kick and a bank. It is allowed to hit more rails than 3.
If the skill levels are closer to each other, then you can make the handicap that the better player plays banks or kicks with 3 rails and the other player plays with 2 rails.

If you are better you can just add more rails to hit, if you are worse, you can remove the rails.
0 rail vs 1 rail is a big handicap. 1 rail vs 3 rails would be fair against him.

Patrick

Patrick
10-04-2002, 04:28 AM
I like to play Rotation Straight Pool while the opponent plays normal straight pool. It gets an even score and it is fun. But it only works if the skill levels are far from each other, like a D vs an A+. Or a C vs a World champion.

Patrick

bluewolf
10-04-2002, 04:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Patrick:</font><hr> I like to play Rotation Straight Pool while the opponent plays normal straight pool. It gets an even score and it is fun. But it only works if the skill levels are far from each other, like a D vs an A+. Or a C vs a World champion.

Patrick <hr></blockquote>

patrick,

creative ideas.he would be in the b range. i would be a d...we found that we are toe to toe (equal) in a game of leftie...since he is a more experienced player, ie much more advanced in english and position, we set that race at 3-2...this is good because my left is not as good as my right and this would make me even more ambidextrous and ray plays ocasionally with left (although he isnt ambi) this could help him too.

but i kept saying the thing i dont like about league 8 ball is that slop counts. i think the players should have to call their pockets. as long as the ball they are aiming in goes in the right pocket,if another ob goes in too, that is okay. my ideas only.

also am just learning to bank so looking forward to being able to play games of banks.

bw

NH_Steve
10-04-2002, 05:21 AM
You could play like the roots of One Pocket: He gets only one lower corner pocket, you can shoot at any pockets. According to pool historian Mike Shamos, this is essentially how One Pocket originated over one hundred years ago, making it possibly the oldest of currently popular pool games in the US!

shayla
10-04-2002, 12:38 PM
I haven't read all the posts, so if this is a duplicate, I apologize in advance..

One of my teammates is dating a local BCA Instructor. Of course, he's a much better player than she is. One thing that seems to work for both of them (instead of giving any kind of weight) is that on every shot, he has to tell her which pocket the 3rd ball will go in. (If he's shooting the 1-ball, he has to tell her which pocket he'll be making the 3-ball in, if he's shooting the 2-ball, gotta tell where the 4-ball will go, or whatever ball is next.) If he doesn't do it, its a foul. She gets ball in hand. Makes him work on his cue ball control more and not get out of line. This also helps her as he's kinda thinking 'outloud', and helps her to see his thought processes and recognize patterns.

10-04-2002, 02:17 PM
I didn't know that, Steve. Interesting. I've played what I call 5/1 Pocket, where the other player gets the remaining five pockets. I've also played 6/1 pocket, which obviously is the same thing Mike Shamos is describing. Trouble with 6/1, you better make your banks otherwise there go the balls near your pocket if you have any opponent at all.

Regards,
Bob