PDA

View Full Version : Teen unemployment.

Sev
05-25-2012, 10:20 AM
And yet the administration is behind a government program that brings in up to 100,000 foreign youths to fill temporary summer jobs.

Hows that for Hope and Change??

http://www.theunion.com/article/20120522/NEWS/120529976/1001%26parentprofile=1053

State Teen Unemployment Ranking
1) California 36.2%
2) South Carolina 31.2%
3) Rhode Island 29.8%
4) Washington 29.0%
5) Arizona 29.0%
6) Nevada 28.8%
7) Idaho 28.4%
8) North Carolina 28.2%
9) Missouri 27.7%
10) Louisiana 27.6%
** District of Columbia 51.7%
*Note: Rankings based on unrounded figures.

As summer break approaches and school seasons conclude, teens in California will have a more difficult time finding a job than their demographic counterparts in every other state, according to Census Bureau data released by the Employment Policies Institute.

With 36.2 percent of its teens unable to find employment, California leads all other states in teen unemployment — only the District of Columbia, with its 51.7 percent teen unemployment rate, surpasses the Golden State.

Overall, teen unemployment rose in 17 states and Washington, D.C., between April 2011 and April 2012, and fell in 32 states.

Nationally, the teen unemployment rate stands at 24.9 percent, and has averaged above 20 percent for over 40 months. The number of employed teens fell by 14,000 from March to April 2012.

“Although the jobs outlook has improved slightly for summer 2012, teens searching for summer employment are still faced with more competition and less opportunity than past generations,” said Michael Saltsman, research fellow at the EPI, in a statement.

When the analysis is broadened to include discouraged teens that have stopped actively looking for work but would still like a job, nearly every state experiences a jump in their teen unemployment rates, according to EPI analysis.

Economists have shown that the value of a summer job goes beyond a paycheck. Research published in the Journal of Labor Economics found that high schoolers who worked part-time had a greater likelihood of higher wages and better benefits in future employment, as compared to their classmates that didn't have a job.

“Missing out on summer jobs deprives teens of the opportunity to learn responsibility and important skills not taught in the classroom,” Saltsman said.

Soflasnapper
05-25-2012, 11:05 AM
And yet the administration is behind a government program that brings in up to 100,000 foreign youths to fill temporary summer jobs.

The program has been in place about 50 years.

It is being substantially reformed, as seen here. (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/05/us/politics/us-revises-foreign-student-job-program.html)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> (excerpt) Under rules that will take effect early next week [meaning about May 11, already past, as this article is dated May 4], international students will no longer be allowed to work in warehouse or packing jobs, on night shifts or in jobs the Labor Department has designated hazardous to youth. In addition, the students will not be placed in jobs involving gambling, traveling fairs, massage or tattooing.

After Nov. 1, students will not be allowed in most factory jobs, including manufacturing and food processing. They will be barred from mining, oil exploration and most construction jobs.

The State Department also established new requirements for sponsors to inform students about specific cultural activities that will be available and to review all jobs offered to students to make sure they are appropriate. Job placements must provide opportunities for participants to interact regularly with U.S. citizens and experience U.S. culture during the work portion of their programs, the rules specify.

Most students under the program have worked in resort jobs, in hotels or restaurants as waiters, desk clerks, lifeguards or maintenance staff members. Many worked in national parks.

<span style='font-size: 14pt'>The department also tightened requirements on sponsors to confirm annually with employers that no American workers were displaced by students. Employers will not be allowed to hire foreign students if they have laid off workers in the previous four months.</span> </div></div>

Sev
05-25-2012, 11:19 AM
Any foreign student has the potential to displace and American worker.
The listed reforms mean very little.

The Program do to the economic climate should be either terminated or at the very least suspended indefinitely.

How about addressing the unemployment numbers rather than another deflection.

Soflasnapper
05-25-2012, 11:32 AM
The reforms entirely prevent those foreign students from taking any job at all in the various employment sectors mentioned. That is not 'very little.'

The question one might ask is why have so many presidents over 50 years, and of course the Congresses over that time, thought this was a good idea to keep in place?

The other question is, and I'll point out that your asking to discuss the 'numbers' isn't possible on the (lack of) facts in your post, what does 100,000 compare to? That is, although you've stated the PERCENTAGES of the unemployed youth, what is the NUMBER of them? Millions, probably, I assume.

Sev
05-25-2012, 11:51 AM
As if those rules will be completely enforced.

The idea behind it is to bring foreign students to America to give them a good impression of us and spread the word.

To be precise. The article stated the percentages. Not I.

However that does not change the fact that due to the high unemployment rate amongst students this policy should either be terminated or at the very least terminated.

Soflasnapper
05-25-2012, 03:03 PM
I know the article's author was the one using the percentages and not the raw numbers, not you. It does make it difficult to put 100,000 in context, as I point out, but it isn't your fault, I agree.

I've looked around, and teens are aggregated into a 'youth' category that extends to about 24 years old, making for further difficulties.

However, you said the administration was 'behind' this policy. To me, that meant they started it, but as I showed, it's been in place over 50 years, including many recessions, and many GOP presidents and Congresses.

To the degree that this administration now stands behind (that is, is in favor of) this policy's continuing, it does so with all the new restrictions I cited.

Has the GOP-majority House objected? Proposed the cancellation of the program? Only to be obstructed by the Senate or the administration? (That's possible, but I haven't heard that is the case.)

I expect such a program was passed by the Congress, and if it is to be ended, it must be ended by the Congress. If the GOP House isn't interested, the momentum of so long a program as going back 50 years is the dominant force involved.

Sev
05-25-2012, 03:08 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
However, you said the administration was 'behind' this policy. To me, that meant they started it, but as I showed, it's been in place over 50 years, including many recessions, and many GOP presidents and Congresses.

</div></div>

I meant "behind" in as supports. Not as in implementing.
Poorly expressed on my part.

I would suggest if the president came forward with a suggestion that at this time the policy should be suspended in the interests of our youth the GOP would stand behind him.
Somebody at the very least should bring it to the floor.

eg8r
05-27-2012, 06:41 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And yet the administration is behind a government program that brings in up to 100,000 foreign youths to fill temporary summer jobs.

</div></div><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sofla with foot in mouth</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The program has been in place about 50 years. </div></div>Hello McFly, no kidding. That is the point behind the dig about the hope and change that never happened. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r