PDA

View Full Version : Obama talking about his sons???? What???

Sev
05-25-2012, 04:01 PM
Looks like Barry may be getting a bit senile. Seems he cant remember he has 2 daughters and not sons.
Unless of course he has a couple bastard love child's in hiding.
Freudian slip???

http://cnsnews.com/blog/terence-p-jeffre...ception-mandate (http://cnsnews.com/blog/terence-p-jeffrey/obama-twice-mistakenly-mentions-my-sons-while-defending-contraception-mandate)

<span style='font-size: 23pt'>Obama Twice Mistakenly Mentions ‘My Sons,' While Defending Contraception Mandate</span>
In two campaign speeches over the last two days, President Barack Obama has twice mistakenly mentioned “my sons” when defending his administration’s regulation requiring virtually all health-care plans in the United States to provide women, without any fees or co-pay, with sterilizations and all Food and Drug Administration-approved contraceptives, including those that can cause abortions.

Obama, of course, has two daughters--10-year-old Sasha and 13-year-old Malia--but no sons.

Soflasnapper
05-25-2012, 05:46 PM
Probably referring to a CBO baseline projection.

Those are not always accurate. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Sev
05-26-2012, 08:14 AM
HA!!

Probably residual drug traces coming out of his fatty tissues. The man is gaunt and looks unhealthy.

Soflasnapper
05-26-2012, 01:47 PM
I think it is really a bit of a problem of phrasing, related to problems grasping the counterfactual subjunctive mood. As when Obama said, to great excitement, that McCain hadn't been talking up 'my Moslem faith.'

I think he got caught between phrases-- he could have said 'my daughters' and 'your sons,' (but that would have been interpreted as divisive), or 'our daughters and our sons.' It's likely that 'my daughters' got caught in his mind, and then by parallel phrasing, he continued as he did. It would be interesting to see how the speech was written as displayed on the TOTUS to see what he was supposed to say.

I think he understood that saying 'our daughters and our sons' would have led to the same question (what 'sons' of yours are you referring to?), and he lurched to the infelicitous alternate phrase.

Sev
05-26-2012, 03:28 PM
As simple rephrasing to our sons and daughters making it all inclusive rather than personal would have solved the problem and make the sentence structure less cumbersome.

Soflasnapper
05-27-2012, 05:09 PM
I agree, and I think that was what eluded him.

He is a good communicator, or at least gives quite a good speech, but it appears certain things about English usage elude him.

CORPSE man? For example.

Reminds me of why I fell 23 points short of a perfect English SAT. I didn't know the rules for the contrary to fact subjunctive mood myself, despite a fairly rigorous grounding in grammar. They just didn't get to that one in 10th grade English where I went to school, and I recalled several erroneous answers once I figured it out.

Sev
05-27-2012, 06:29 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree, and I think that was what eluded him.

He is a good communicator, or at least gives quite a good speech, but it appears certain things about English usage elude him.

CORPSE man? For example.

Reminds me of why I fell 23 points short of a perfect English SAT. I didn't know the rules for the contrary to fact subjunctive mood myself, despite a fairly rigorous grounding in grammar. They just didn't get to that one in 10th grade English where I went to school, and I recalled several erroneous answers once I figured it out. </div></div>

Some things as individuals we have trouble mastering. My spelling is worthless no matter how hard I try. However my vocabulary quite large. Its odd how the 2 do not always mesh appropriately.