PDA

View Full Version : Did Ya Know That FOX News is Liberal?

DiabloViejo
05-29-2012, 03:25 PM
YOU JUST CAN'T MAKE THIS STUFF UP! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Bet Ya’ Didn’t Know That Fox News Was Actually Liberal – At Least According To Roger Ailes
May 29, 2012
By Wendy Gittleson
Addicting Info (http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/05/29/bet-ya-didnt-know-that-fox-news-was-actually-liberal-at-least-according-to-roger-ailes/)

http://www.addictinginfo.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/AilesFNC.jpg

According to the head of Fox’s news division, Roger Ailes, Fox News has just one conservative on staff (Sean Hannity) and 24 “liberals.”

<span style="color: #990000">Well, first, I separate out news from programming. If you’re talking about programming, we noticed that all the talk shows on the other networks basically had progressive or liberal talk show hosts. We have one conservative on FOX News, Sean Hannity. Quite open about it, that’s what he is, that’s what he does, that’s his framework, that’s where he comes from. Others tend to be libertarians or populists or you can’t really tell.

Ailes defended his network, saying he was not politically biased compared with competitors MSNBC and CNN. [b]Ailes said he employs 24 “liberals,” which distinguishes him from those networks who feature fewer dissenting opinions.</span>

Admittedly, the liberal/conservative spectrum is just that, a spectrum. From where Ailes sits, presumably quite comfortably near Mussolini and Pinochet, perhaps Bill O’Reilly and Steve Doocy are liberal, but from where the majority of humanity sits, it’s doubtful, especially with quotes like these:

<span style="color: #990000">“But the other thing about her, she does know about international relations because she is right up there in Alaska right next door to Russia.” – Steve Doocy on Sarah Palin

“It’s hard to do it because you gotta look people in the eye and tell ‘em they’re irresponsible and lazy. And who’s gonna wanna do that? Because that’s what poverty is, ladies and gentlemen. In this country, you can succeed if you get educated and work hard. Period. Period.” – Bill O’Reilly

“I thought Newt Gingrich — just seeing him — he’s so competent in all these issues. He’s always leaning forward in terms of ‘I’ll tell you what I would do next as opposed to what just happened’ with his history. I just wish he’d smile more. If he would smile and were a little bit happier, I think he would have hit a home run last night.” – Brian Kilmeade

“not all Muslims are terrorists, but all terrorists are Muslim.” – Brian Kilmeade

“The More This President Campaigns On Divisiveness And Enemies Lists, The More He Reminds Me Of Richard Nixon” – Dick Morris

Stimulus “has been a disaster…it is a lie to say that this has been a success for people.” – Greta Van Susteren

“I will actually buy pills to keep a leftist from reproducing.” – Greg Gutfield</span>

Megyn Kelly, one of Fox’s top hosts, once spent two weeks covering a phony scandal involving the four guys that make up the New Black Panther Party.

Perhaps even more telling was when Fox anchor Chris Wallace told Jon Stewart, <u>”We’re the counterweight (to the mainstream media). They have a liberal agenda, and we tell the other side of the story.”</u>

Perhaps Ailes’ words are more symbolic than anything. His quote makes it appear to sound that “liberal” and “libertarian” are similar ideologies, when almost nothing is further from the truth. Maybe the word ‘conservative’ has taken on a negative connotation, in much the same way as Fox helped vilify the word ‘liberal.’ Maybe, just maybe, Ailes’ move away from that word, a word so proudly touted over the last three decades, means that we are on the cusp of an ideological shift in America; one which recognizes that the government plays an important role in the success of our country; one which recognizes that the poorest among us are not to blame for our woes; one which recognizes that the richest among us are pushing the rest of us down; one which is tired of our infrastructure falling apart; one which is tired of all the government services we need being cut; one that recognizes that teachers and fire fighters are a good thing; one that recognizes that clean air and water are good things; one which recognizes that we are pissed off from being<s> pissed </s>trickled on.

Soflasnapper
05-29-2012, 03:35 PM
No more than 96% liberal, surely! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

llotter
05-29-2012, 03:42 PM
If you watch Fox you would see both sides are always represented by passionate people from the Left and the Right. I have often thought that it is wrong to give equal time to wrong ideas as though they are somehow equal to right ideas in the name of 'fair and balanced'.

Fox is definitely more conservative than the MSM but still a long way from being conservative...unfortunately.

Soflasnapper
05-29-2012, 04:03 PM
Except when they don't. I've seen ample Hannity power panels with nary a moderate, let alone liberal to leftward leaning person.

When they do have alleged liberals or Democrats, those are house liberals and house Democrats, who can be relied upon to stick a knife in the back of Democratic Party programs and personnel. Usually these are FORMER Democratic Party people, either failed or now disconnected from the party label used to describe them (e.g., Doug Schoen, always described as a Democratic pollster or strategist, but he left the party a decade or more ago over a snit over payment).

But typically, what some suppose is probably a fire-breathing radical leftist is at most a moderate with no clear ideological leanings. Maura Liasson?

eg8r
05-29-2012, 04:34 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Except when they don't. I've seen ample Hannity power panels with nary a moderate, let alone liberal to leftward leaning person.
</div></div>LOL, so your only example is the one person Ailes calls the Conservative? What a joke. What about the other 24 or so the article mentions. Heck, even Hannity had the token liberal on the show but Colmes just wasn't intellectually ready to play the part.

eg8r

Qtec
06-03-2012, 04:58 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Except when they don't. I've seen ample Hannity power panels with nary a moderate, let alone liberal to leftward leaning person.
</div></div>LOL, so <span style='font-size: 20pt'>your only example</span> is the one person Ailes calls the Conservative? What a joke. What about the other 24 or so the article mentions. Heck, even Hannity had the token liberal on the show but Colmes just wasn't intellectually ready to play the part.

eg8r </div></div>

LOL. Don't you just look silly.

How many exmaples of Fox lies do you want. Shall we just start with 10 and take it from there?

I guess you missed this. fair and balanced...........LMAO (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/30/fox-and-friends-anti-obama-video_n_1556557.html?ref=media)

Q

Soflasnapper
06-03-2012, 12:35 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Except when they don't. I've seen ample Hannity power panels with nary a moderate, let alone liberal to leftward leaning person.
</div></div>LOL, so your only example is the one person Ailes calls the Conservative? What a joke. What about the other 24 or so the article mentions. Heck, even Hannity had the token liberal on the show but Colmes just wasn't intellectually ready to play the part.

eg8r </div></div>

There are ample additional examples. I chose to mention one, which doesn't mean I lack others.

Fox pretends neutrality in the daytime and early evening, and only admits a conservative leaning in the opinion shows in primetime evening slots.

That is provably false. Even their Sunday news show has a similarly skewed lineup, with frequent all-GOP guests, and wholly conservative (lacking liberal or strong Democratic) late-show panels. The morning show, Fox and Friends? Don't get me started.

The joke is that you think this is a true assertion from Ailes, or that a truncated brief example list means the plentiful examples all across their broadcast day must not exist.

Hannity has had no such liberal balanced co-host for the entire extent of the Obama presidency, ending that format as of Jan. 9 2009.

eg8r
06-03-2012, 05:55 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The joke is that you think this is a true assertion from Ailes,</div></div>The joke is that you cannot figure out that I am not backing the article or Ailes. I am merely pointing out how weak of an attack you made. Doesn't make any sense to point out the guy they already pointed out now does it.

eg8r

eg8r
06-03-2012, 05:57 PM
I look silly? He is the one that chose the example that was already provided for him. Hello McFly, if you want to prove someone wrong don't start it off by agreeing with them.

eg8r

DiabloViejo
06-03-2012, 08:25 PM
“Republicans originally thought that Fox worked for us and now we’re discovering we work for Fox.”
David Frum, former speechwriter for George W. Bush

“They’re a Republican brand. They’re an extension of the Republican Party with some exceptions, [like] Greta van Susteren. But I don’t begrudge them that.”
CNN’s Larry King (said in a January 17, 2007, interview with the Chicago Sun-Times)

“Look, I think liberals have reasonable gripes with Fox News. It does lean to the right, primarily in its opinion programming but also in its story selection (which is fine by me) and elsewhere. But it’s worth remembering that Fox is less a bastion of ideological conservatism and more a populist, tabloid-like network.”
Los Angeles Times columnist Jonah Goldberg

“We were stunned, because up until that point, we were allowed to do legitimate news. Suddenly, we were ordered from the top to carry [...] Republican, right-wing propaganda, including being told what to say about Ronald Reagan.”
Fox News producer Frank O’Donnell

“There’s one network, Fox, that’s a propaganda voice for them [Conservatives]. It’s certainly legal. But it does pose problems for our democracy when the news is ‘dumbed-down’.”
Media Mogul Ted Turner

“There are lies, damned lies and Fox News.”
Iranian-Swedish newspaper commentator Behrang Kianzad

“We can no longer work with a news organization that claims to be fair and balanced when you are so far from that…Not only are you Fox News an instrument of the Bush White House, and Israeli propaganda, you are war mongers with no sense of decency, nor professionalism.”
An excerpt from the letter of resignation of two Jordanian-Arab freelancers who worked briefly as Fox News Producers

“To some he [Rupert Murdoch] is little less than the devil incarnate, to others, the most progressive mover-and-shaker in the media business.”
BBC website

“If there was ever any doubt Fox News is an arm of the Republican party, it ended today.”
Ed Schultz of MSNB, May 31, 2012, speaking of Fox News’ Anti-Obama video

“If anyone wanted to look for evidence that the overall Fox News organization intends to campaign against Obama rather than cover the campaign, this video would be difficult to refute as evidence for that claim.”
Ed Morrissey of conservative blog Hot Air, May 31, 2012, speaking of Fox News’ Anti-Obama video

“It’s almost as laughable as accusing Fox News as, you know, being news.”
Miss Piggy

“There’s no sense of integrity as far as having a line that can’t be crossed.”
Anonymous Fox News Employee on “Outfoxed: Rupert Murdoch’s War on Journalism”

“the network looks more and more like a total propaganda system … whose exclusive goal is the dissemination of fear, confusion and disinformation designed to serve the ends of the governing regime.”
Andrew O’Hehir, Salon.com

“Watching Bill O’Reilly’s belligerent, boorish ‘interview’ with Jeremy Glick, whose father died in the attack on the World Trade Center and who came to oppose the administration’s military response to 9/11, is enough to make you wish that the ghost of Joseph Welch would enter the studio and inquire, at long last, after Mr. O’Reilly’s sense of decency.”
A.O. Scott, New York Times

“disguising Brit Hume, Bill O’Reilly, Neil Cavuto and Sean Hannity as neutral observers — not to mention Murdoch, Roger Ailes and the rest of the Fox management — is like putting a chicken suit on the predator in the hen house. We can pretend all we want, but when the chickens go missing, we already know whodunit.”
Minnesota Daily

“The real revolutionary breakthrough of Fox has been its eliminative journalism. That’s the thing to understand. What Fox News Channel has done is it’s stripped out any notion of journalism as we’ve traditionally understood it from its product. There is no journalism at Fox News Channel.”
Bob McChesney, Founder of Free Press/Author of “The Problem of the Media”

“It’s very hard on Fox News to separate news from commentary because it all blends together. That’s what makes it so ridiculous, that slogan “We report you decide”, because there’s no TV news channel in history that’s ever reported less.
Jeff Cohen, Former MSNBC/Fox News Contributor

“Look, this goes to Murdoch too. He doesn’t believe in objectivity. He doesn’t believe, he has contempt for journalism, I think, I mean, [CUT TO:] they wanted all news to be a matter of opinion, ‘cause opinion can’t be proven false. [CUT TO:] And I think that’s very dangerous because if people don’t have a set of facts that they can agree on, I think it’s difficult to reach a consensus on, you know, what’s correct public policy. I think it’s very dangerous for elections as well.”
David Brock President/CEO of Media Matters for America

“Fox overall I, I think we have got to appreciate, and when we look at them is to understand that this is an adjunct of the Republican Party.”
Rep. Bernie Sanders, Independent Congressman from VT since 1991

“Murdoch is, absolutely to his core, a partisan, and ah, he makes no secret about that.”
Peter Hart Media Analyst for FAIR (Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting)

Soflasnapper
06-04-2012, 10:20 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The joke is that you think this is a true assertion from Ailes,</div></div>The joke is that you cannot figure out that I am not backing the article or Ailes. I am merely pointing out how weak of an attack you made. Doesn't make any sense to point out the guy they already pointed out now does it.

eg8r </div></div>

Yes, you were most droll. Sheesh.

Gayle in MD
06-05-2012, 09:31 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The joke is that you think this is a true assertion from Ailes,</div></div>The joke is that you cannot figure out that I am not backing the article or Ailes. I am merely pointing out how weak of an attack you made. Doesn't make any sense to point out the guy they already pointed out now does it.

eg8r </div></div>

Yes, you were most droll. Sheesh. </div></div>

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Good sum up, Sofla.

A droll little man.

G.

eg8r
06-05-2012, 11:59 AM
Good job sofla, you forced granny to use her dictionary. If anything it means she is attempting to comprehend what we are talking about.

eg8r

LWW
06-06-2012, 04:40 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DiabloViejo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">His quote makes it appear to sound that “liberal” and “libertarian” are similar ideologies, when almost nothing is further from the truth.
</div></div>

Why do you hate people who are literate?

Why do you love NEWSPEAK?

I am a liberal.

You are a fascist.

I know hat the words men.

You haven't a clue.

Del ith it.

Stretch
06-06-2012, 09:10 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DiabloViejo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">His quote makes it appear to sound that “liberal” and “libertarian” are similar ideologies, when almost nothing is further from the truth.
</div></div>

Why do you hate people who are literate?

Why do you love NEWSPEAK?

I am a liberal.

You are a fascist.

I know hat the words men.

You haven't a clue.

Del ith it. </div></div>

Dude, take it easy on the bath salts. St.

LWW
06-06-2012, 11:11 AM
Most illiterate people try to keep it a secret ... kudos on your pride in your illiteracy.

LWW
06-06-2012, 11:16 AM
For those stuck on stupid: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_liberalism)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Classical liberalism is the philosophy committed to the ideal of limited government, constitutionalism, rule of law, due process, and liberty of individuals including freedom of religion, speech, press, assembly, and free markets.[1][2]
Classical liberalism developed in the 19th century in Europe and the United States. Although classical liberalism built on ideas that had already developed by the end of the 18th century, it advocated a specific kind of society, government and public policy as a response to the Industrial Revolution and urbanization.[3] Notable individuals whose ideas have contributed to classical liberalism include John Locke[4], Jean-Baptiste Say, Thomas Malthus and David Ricardo. It drew on the economics of Adam Smith and on a belief in natural law[5], utilitarianism[6], and progress.[7]

There was a revival of interest in classical liberalism in the 20th century led by Ludwig von Mises, Friedrich Hayek and Milton Friedman.[8] Some call the modern development of classical liberalism "neo-classical liberalism," which argued for government to be as small as possible in order to allow the exercise of individual freedom, while some refer to all liberalism before the 20th century as classical liberalism.[9]
</div></div>

LWW
06-06-2012, 11:23 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Statism (French; étatisme) is a term used by political scientists to describe the belief that a government should control either economic or social policy or both to some degree.[ </div></div>

Words mean things. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statism)

LWW
06-06-2012, 11:47 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Newspeak is a fictional language in George Orwell's novel Nineteen Eighty-Four. In the novel, it refers to the deliberately impoverished language promoted by the state. Orwell included an essay about it in the form of an appendix[1] in which the basic principles of the language are explained. Newspeak is closely based on English but has a greatly reduced and simplified vocabulary and grammar. This suits the totalitarian regime of the Party, whose aim is to make any alternative thinking—"thoughtcrime", or "crimethink" in the newest edition of Newspeak—impossible by removing any words or possible constructs which describe the ideas of freedom, rebellion and so on. One character, Syme, says admiringly of the shrinking volume of the new dictionary: "It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words."</div></div>

Just to help you understand some of the words I use ... (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newspeak)