PDA

View Full Version : Obama has insulted 38 million Poles.

Sev
05-30-2012, 07:11 AM
Making friends and opening doors where ever he goes.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/nilega...th-camp-remark/ (http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/nilegardiner/100161347/barack-obama-has-insulted-38-million-poles-with-his-crass-and-ignorant-polish-death-camp-remark/)

<span style='font-size: 23pt'>Barack Obama has insulted 38 million Poles with his crass and ignorant 'Polish death camp' remark </span>

President Obama has a long track record of insulting the Poles. In 2010 he chose to play golf on the day of the funeral of the Polish President Lech Kaczynski, the Polish First Lady, and 94 senior officials who perished in the Smolensk air disaster. Eight months earlier he humiliated Warsaw by pulling out of the agreement over Third Site missile defence installations in Poland and the Czech Republic. And last night Barack Obama caused huge offence in Poland by referring to a Nazi death camp in Poland as “a Polish death camp” while awarding the Presidential Medal of Freedom to a Polish resistance fighter. As ABC’s Jake Tapper reported:

Poles and Polish-Americans expressed outrage today at President Obama’s reference earlier to “a Polish death camp” — as opposed to a Nazi death camp in German-occupied Poland.

<span style="color: #990000"><span style='font-size: 17pt'>“The White House will apologize for this outrageous error,” Foreign Minister Radek Sikorski tweeted. Sikorski said that Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk “will make a statement in the morning. It’s a pity that this important ceremony was upstaged by ignorance and incompetence.”
</span></span>
The president had been trying to honor a famous Pole, awarding a Presidential Medal of Freedom to Jan Karski, a resistance fighter who sneaked behind enemy lines to bear witness to the atrocities being committed against Jews. President Obama referred to him being smuggled “into the Warsaw ghetto and a Polish death camp to see for himself.”

The Obama administration has tried to downplay the incident. According to ABC:

National Security Council spokesman Tommy Vietor said in a statement, “The President was referring to Nazi death camps operated in Poland. The President has demonstrated in word and deed his rock-solid commitment to our close alliance with Poland.”

Weasel words from the White House will do little however to calm Polish anger. After all, these were carefully scripted remarks by the president reading off a teleprompter. Six millions Poles died at the hands of Nazi Germany during World War Two, including three million Polish Jews during the Holocaust. The president’s use of the term “Polish death camp” is hugely insulting to the Polish people, and will reinforce the growing image across Eastern and Central Europe of an American presidency that cares little for key US allies, especially against the backdrop of its controversial and weak-kneed “reset” policy towards Russia. For a US administration that likes to boast of “smart power,” this was an act of staggering historical ignorance as well as crass insensitivity.

Soflasnapper
05-30-2012, 09:13 AM
Whoah, this is terrible! Surely you should post another couple of threads decrying this perfidy.

Eight months earlier he humiliated Warsaw by pulling out of the agreement over Third Site missile defence installations in Poland and the Czech Republic

This was one of his most important actions as president, which all should applaud. I doubt there was any humiliation involved as I never heard of it at the time, but in any case, our national security posture comes ahead of foreign governments' sensitivities.

Are we in danger of Poland now refusing to take our money and security arrangements? Of course not.

I notice this blogger's claims of various insults are linked back to this same blogger's claims that was so at the time.

He is a conservative who doesn't like Obama's policies, period, and who is instead a Tea Party supporter from England.

He implies Obama blew off attending that funeral, but in fact, he committed to attend it, and like hundreds, could not attend because of the volcano that shut down air travel across the pond. This is not an honest or at least certainly not a neutral observer.

Sev
05-30-2012, 12:58 PM
I see. Obama basically saying the poles were responsible for the death camps through his ignorance should not be important to the Polish people???

Thats a rather arrogant stance to take.

As far Obama pulling out of the missile defense installations. He gave everything to the Russians an got nothing in return. The Poles as well as other ex USSR satellite countries were and still are not happy about it.

cushioncrawler
05-30-2012, 04:15 PM
The Poles are well able to eliminate jews in Poland by themselves. Aktually with Russian help. Just before the war. Praps u all didnt know.
mac.

Soflasnapper
05-31-2012, 03:30 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I see. Obama basically saying the poles were responsible for the death camps through his ignorance should not be important to the Polish people???

Thats a rather arrogant stance to take.

As far Obama pulling out of the missile defense installations. He gave everything to the Russians an got nothing in return. The Poles as well as other ex USSR satellite countries were and still are not happy about it. </div></div>

It is wise to stop threatening a country, even if we get nothing in return. Those missile installations could not stop a full-on ballistic missile attack. Their use is in a first strike back up, to mop up the limited remaining missiles coming in retaliation. Or so the Russians believe, and as we encircle them by taking all their neighboring states into our military alliances for no apparent reason, and site our ABMs there, it's a credible belief.

Americans never see any of our actions as belligerent, and are always surprised when foreign peoples know our real history and see through the various lies by which our actions are sold. Sure, it's spreading democracy and freedom, that's what we're all about. Not.

Here's a take on the Auschwitz quotes, which I think is correct.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Political Animal
Blog

May 30, 2012 1:10 PM The Gaffe Heard Round Poland

There are gaffes that expose prejudices, gaffes that reflect ignorance, and then just plain gaffes that represent a misplaced word or two in an otherwise unobjectionable statement. Theres not much question the presidents reference to Polish Death Camps in the midst of a ceremony honoring heroic Polish resistance to the Holocaust falls into the last category.

In Obama-hating circles, of course, there will be multiple efforts to claim otherwise: that Obama should have known that Poles are unusually sensitive to this particular term, and has embarassed America deeply. I wonder how many of them knew of this sensitivity themselves, or knew much of anything about the geographical location of Nazi death camps, or would have mocked the whole reaction as political correctness if it hadnt served their immediate political purposes. And moreover, how many commenters who want Obama to apologize have in the past raged at him for apologizing too much?

Yes, it was a gaffe heard round Poland, and thats unfortunate. But it doesnt need to be heard again and again in the United States. </div></div>

I'd say if you were Polish, offense taken is understandable, if a trivial matter. If you are an American, offense is ridiculous. And if you are suffering from Obama Derangement Syndrome, you're perpetually pretending offense at anything and everything.

If in conversation someone asked, 'what was that Polish concentration camp's name? You know, the famous one?,' it would be taken as 'the concentration camp IN POLAND,' not 'a concentration camp the Poles used to exterminate Jews.'

I'm a little miffed when I'm referred to by my name and then 'Junior,' as I'm not one, but I totally understand why it happens.

Sev
05-31-2012, 04:07 PM
I dont think Americans should be insulted. However the Poles have every right to be.

Its just another instance evidencing that Obama cant reach the bar that both he and the media have set.

Soflasnapper
05-31-2012, 05:50 PM
So, what's the polling among the Poles about how incensed over this they are? Any? Is there polling showing 100% outrage over there?

&lt;crickets&gt;

Sev
05-31-2012, 05:58 PM
Why dont you fly over and take a Pole or poll as it may be. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Soflasnapper
05-31-2012, 06:51 PM
I like that!

Anyway, Cowboy Americanus ought to applaud an ignorant insult of a foreign country. Just sayin'.

Sev
05-31-2012, 07:31 PM
HAHAHA!!!

Soflasnapper
06-02-2012, 11:10 AM
Surviving family members of victims killed in Poland mention Poland is so sensitive out of a guilty conscience for their own role in killing Jews.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> At the same time, the Polish resistance did relatively little to assist Jews.

There were Poles who hunted Jews and turned them over to the Nazis; there were Poles who profited from the round-ups of Jews by seizing their property; there were Poles who exploited Jews on the black market and/or by demanding payment not to denounce them; and there were Poles who murdered their Jewish neighbors, both during the war (e.g., Jedwabne) and after (e.g., Kielce). </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another reader:

I am the son and grandson of Holocaust survivors from Poland, and Id like to give you a bit of family history. My pregnant grandmother and her entire family were not initially interred by Nazis, but by the local Poles - THEIR NEIGHBORS - who handed them over to the Nazis. After the war, when they tried to return to Poland, my grandmothers younger brother was killed - again, by the Polish neighbors - and the rest were chased away to a displaced persons camp.

Just to be clear: my great uncle survived Auschwitz and was murdered by an angry mob of his own neighbors. The Poles who did help and hide Jews were also singled out for punishment. While this was going on, the Church, perhaps the only institution that could have stopped the mob, did nothing.

To me, it is obvious that the outsized reactions from Poland is a manifestation of societal guilt and a desire to whitewash their past.
</div></div>

From Andrew Sullivan's blog.

Sev
06-02-2012, 04:11 PM
Oh I am sure.
There is plenty of guilt to be found out there. The church stood aside for quite some time and did not raise a hand to help the Jews.
The Jews were hunted by indigenous populations almost wherever the Germans had a foothold. When the Germans were defeated they all wanted to sweep their shame under the rug and forget about it.

Soflasnapper
06-02-2012, 07:37 PM
The church stood aside for quite some time and did not raise a hand to help the Jews.

That's a horrible false slander, and I am no fan of the HRCC. The pope did more than anyone, directly saving over 500,000 Jews at great peril to the church. One of his encyclicals was so powerfully anti-Nazi and against their policies against the Jews that the Allies reproduced it and dropped copies of it from airplanes into the German-controlled areas for its propaganda value.

It's only the later cult of victimology that causes Jewish leaders amnesia about this. At the time, and at war's end, he was greatly celebrated as the greatest ally the Jews had by them. That 'Hitler's Pope' author was a fraud of an historian.