PDA

View Full Version : Jobs, Unemployment Claims and GDP.

Sev
05-31-2012, 07:11 AM
The economy continues to not impress.

First time jobless claims came in at 383,000. Experts expected 370,00. Claims are trending in the wrong direction and the initial number if the past trend continues should be expected to be revised up. This is a 5 week high.

Only 133,000 jobs were created in may. A little more than last month. However less than the 150,000 forecast by experts. If the trend continues this number will be revised down in the coming weeks.

GDP for the first quarter had been revised down to 1.9%. Experts predicted a GDP of 2.2%.

US housing prices also hit new lows.

Consumer confidence in may experienced its largest drop in 8 months. It now stands at 64.9%. Down from 68.7% in April.
Experts were expecting a reading of 70%. 90% indicates a healthy economy.

There have been 61,000 announced layoffs for the month of May.

They are calling it a soft patch. If it gets any softer it is going to be quicksand.

Hope and Change.

eg8r
05-31-2012, 07:52 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First time jobless claims came in at 383,000. Experts expected 370,00. Claims are trending in the wrong direction and the initial number if the past trend continues should be expected to be revised up. This is a 5 week high.
</div></div>Don't you get it, the lefties are trying to say this is the mass exodus of baby boomers, not a poor economy being led by an incompetent president.

eg8r

Soflasnapper
05-31-2012, 10:11 AM
No, it's a ship of state that was off course, on the shoals, and sinking, that has been taken off the shoals, turned around, headed in the right direction, but making poor speed because of the damage to the hull, and the huge extra load of water in the bilge from the prior and on-going damage that has the ship of state very low in the water, plus engine damage.

Instead of applauding the reclamation and refloating, and that there is any power for any speed at all, some people are bitching that we are not making record time, or even standard cruising speed.

Well, duh! Ship of state was badly breached, and almost going down to the bottom of the ocean. So let's bring back the other navigators to reverse back toward the shoals!

Was Sullenburger a failure after the crash landing in the water where no one was injured, because he couldn't get the plane back up in the air to its destination on time? Or a success, and a hero?

eg8r
05-31-2012, 11:39 AM
Defend all you want but this poor economy is on Obama's head and rightly so. It sure would be a lot easier to swallow if the lefties did not sound the trumpets every time there was a little good news only to be silenced when the adjusted numbers soured the party.

eg8r

Soflasnapper
05-31-2012, 01:26 PM
It's been a mistake to gladhand the economic situation, although being optimistic was important to help consumer confidence slightly come back.

The economy remains lackluster, for understandable reasons.

Comparing to prior recessions, those were caused by the Fed raising interest rates, harming housing and other interest-sensitive sectors. The fix was easy-- the Fed reduced rates, and housing recovered, driving employment and economic activity.

The Fed now is at zero targeted rate, and housing cannot come back.

Your prescription is what-- let's go back to the policies that got us to where we were in 2009? If so, that's an idiotic position, I must say.

Fact is, we are limping along, and badly in need of dry dock repairs and a substantial overhaul of the hull and power plant. Until those are done, we will be limping along, unless we re-begin the sinking strategy.

Which is what Romney proposes, and whatever issues we have with the current situation, that is the worst possible policy.

eg8r
05-31-2012, 01:37 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your prescription is what-- let's go back to the policies that got us to where we were in 2009? If so, that's an idiotic position, I must say.
</div></div>LOL, because I point out the lunacy in your praise for a failed effort you somehow believe you know my "prescription". Why not just stick with this subject you are already having a tough time keeping up.

eg8r

nAz
05-31-2012, 01:44 PM
You just don't get it sir, all we need to do is cut taxes for the rich (job creators) and cut all "entitlement" spending on the middle/poor class.
then just watch them jobs come rolling in!

Hey Ed curious what you think needs to be done?
BTW how was your trip?

eg8r
05-31-2012, 02:47 PM
What needs to be done...My recommendation is quite practical even if it might be tough to implement. Mainly, reduce the complexity of the tax code (this will drive up tax revenue). At the same time implement cuts in defense and medicare and medicaid (BTW these are 3 of the top 4 expenses). By cuts I don't mean just stop all new funding but instead enforce a complete audit of the system and reduce waste. This is done across all industry every year, 5% reduction in budget here, 10% there. It happens everywhere except the Government. Budget cuts drive up efficiency which is also another area where Government lacks. If you don't agree with me then head down to your local tag agency and tell me how enjoyable that experience really is.

Those are just intial steps but they seem as good a place as any to start. It is not rocket science to understand that increasing revenue while simultaneously reducing spending is the quickest way to right the ship.

As far as my trip, it was great. It was my second time to London and each time I get to see new stuff. I love that city. I absolutely love it. We also went to Paris and had a fantastic time. Being at the top of the Eiffel Tower at night was beautiful.

eg8r

Sev
05-31-2012, 04:38 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your prescription is what-- let's go back to the policies that got us to where we were in 2009? If so, that's an idiotic position, I must say.
</div></div>LOL, because I point out the lunacy in your praise for a failed effort you somehow believe you know my "prescription". Why not just stick with this subject you are already having a tough time keeping up.

eg8r </div></div>

5 more months.
If there is little to no change in that time the USS Obama is going to be torpedoed at the voting booth along with a lot of democrats.

Have you noticed Ed that Tea Party candidates winning out over republicans in primaries?
It may very well be another Tea Party sweep coming.

At the end of it at the very least a budget will be put in place so that there is some form of accountability in spending.
3 years without budget. What a travesty.

Sev
05-31-2012, 04:54 PM
DOW testing 12,400
6% decline the worst in 2 years.

cushioncrawler
05-31-2012, 05:02 PM
KRAPPYNOMIX ALERT.
DOWN JOES HAZNT SEEN NUTHIN YET.
AMERICADAGRATEIZGOINDOWNIN13.
MAC.

Soflasnapper
05-31-2012, 05:47 PM
At the end of it at the very least a budget will be put in place so that there is some form of accountability in spending.
3 years without budget. What a travesty.

What a misunderstood hobby horse you're whipping here!

The 'budget' you are referring to is the concurrent resolution of the House and Senate, not signed by the president, that is not binding in law.

What has been done in its place has also passed both the House and Senate, and has been signed into binding law by the president's signature.

That means the budgets being done now are BINDING, whereas those budget resolutions were not. Explain how that is bad, or worse than the other way to do it.

Sev
05-31-2012, 06:01 PM
Yes but they have not fulfilled their legal obligation and passed a federal budget.
Its a bit different from continual resolutions.
Unfortunately if probabaly would not be debated and passed as an omnibus package with god knows what in it.

Soflasnapper
05-31-2012, 06:21 PM
The COTUS requirement, that no expenditures from the Treasury shall be made except under by due process of law, has been fully honored.

The new standard is only procedural, and didn't exist until 1974, so somehow things got done, and the COTUS was followed faithfully in the process, for roughly 185 years, without untoward event.

The main trick of this newer procedure was to allow reconciliation votes to pass with only 51 votes, so long as there was no impact on the debt out beyond a 10-year span. That trick is how the Bush tax cuts were done with only 51 votes (Cheney's the tie-breaker), and why they expired after 10 years. That isn't the kind of thing we should emulate.

The reason it has not been done in recent years is the complete dysfunction of the Congress, under the tyranny of the minority, and the pact made among the top GOP leadership on the very day of Obama's inauguration, to wage a devastating guerilla war against his presidency, in total obdurate opposition, WHATEVER HE WANTED TO DO.

Sev
05-31-2012, 07:08 PM
Ah the tyranny of the minority.
Wait till you see what happens if the democrats get booted this Nov.

Sev
06-01-2012, 06:12 AM
UK's manufacturing index fell to a 3 year low.
Attributed the on going crisis of the EU and weakening domestic market.

China's manufacturing sector has also dropped sharply. The PMI moved from 53.3 to 50.4. The drop was more than experts predicted. The call was 51.1
HSBC separate China PMI fell from 49.3 to 48.4.
IHS Global Insight economists Xianfang Ren and Alistair Thornton have stated that the Chinese economy is close to stalling.

The India economy has also slowed and moved into an episode of stagflation.
Its weak GDP is resulted in a series of downgrades from investment bands.
Its their 7th straight month of contraction.
Expansion is 5.3% which is a 9 year low. India with a population of 1.2 billion requires an expansion rate of 7% to remain healthy.
Emerging Asian weaken.

Good times folks. Good times.

Sev
06-01-2012, 06:34 AM
The jobs report.

Unemployment raises to 8.2%
Only 68,000 jobs were created. Experts predicted 158,000 jobs to be added.

Sev
06-01-2012, 08:20 AM
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t278/Sevelli/crcksing.gifhttp://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t278/Sevelli/crcksing.gifhttp://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t278/Sevelli/crcksing.gif

Sev
06-01-2012, 08:48 AM
US, European and Asian markets going negative.

DOW -206
Near to testing 12,100.

Gayle in MD
06-01-2012, 09:03 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">UK's manufacturing index fell to a 3 year low.
Attributed the on going crisis of the EU and weakening domestic market.

China's manufacturing sector has also dropped sharply. The PMI moved from 53.3 to 50.4. The drop was more than experts predicted. The call was 51.1
HSBC separate China PMI fell from 49.3 to 48.4.
IHS Global Insight economists Xianfang Ren and Alistair Thornton have stated that the Chinese economy is close to stalling.

The India economy has also slowed and moved into an episode of stagflation.
Its weak GDP is resulted in a series of downgrades from investment bands.
Its their 7th straight month of contraction.
Expansion is 5.3% which is a 9 year low. India with a population of 1.2 billion requires an expansion rate of 7% to remain healthy.
Emerging Asian weaken.

Good times folks. Good times.

</div></div>

And AMerica is doing better than any of them, in spite of the worst Repiglican Obstruction and grid lock we've ever witnessed.

We had twenty-seven months of job growth, and we've seen the latest numbers of consumer confidence, from the Michigan study, still high.

The housing industry has shown gains, and we are still addi9ng jobs every month, 600,000 re-entering this month.

Unemployment was at 8.1% in April, yet you, and the Repiglicans who created this mess with their philosophy of..."The Deficits don't matter" while failing to pay for their unprecedented spending and borrowing, refuse to implement the jobs programs which the President laid out in September, spending on re-building the infrastructure, investing in clean renewable fuels, and sending money to the states to keep teachers and others in their jobs.

In short, the severe austerity in Europe, FAILED, as your own post proves.

The Severe austerity and obstructionism of the Repiglican Party, has most definitely slowed this recovery.

Repiglicans have consistantly, intentionally blocked and obstructed every jobs bill, every infrastructure rebuilding spending effort to rebuild our dangerous, crumbling infrastructure, which George Bush ignored for eight years, and every educational spending Bill, that would lead to Americans filling hundreds of thousands of jobs, that are unfilled because of unqualified applicants, after years of George Bush's joke, NCLB, which led to leaving all of our children behind, statistically proven.

April, 8.1%, May, 8.2%, big deal.....and many areas are seeing a decrease in unemployment.

Consumer spending was up in May. conser confidence has been on the upswing for months. Manufacturing jobs are growing.

This president is doing a magnificent job, of dealing with unprecedented obstruction, admitted by Mitch McConnell.

The very fact that Repiglicans spent the day on a ridiculous Bill, for a problem that doesn't even exist in this couuntry, and hundreds upon hundreds of Bills, attacking women's rights, across this country, is proof that the radical Repiglicans MUST BE PURGED FROM OFFICE if this country is to move forward successfully!

G.

Sev
06-01-2012, 09:09 AM
Epic fail.

Sev
06-01-2012, 09:17 AM
Lets not forget that 42,000 fewer jobs were created in the previous 2 months than originally reported.

Gayle in MD
06-01-2012, 09:18 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Epic fail. </div></div>

That's right, Repiglican Policies have been an epic FAIL consistantly for the last eleven years, and continue to fail, and delay our recovery, for political purposes, as McConnell admits, to this day.

They went from "The deficits don't matter" and Bush's "ownership Society, and deregulation, which led to our horrible problems, to severe austerity policies, right when we should have been investing, which Europe has proven to be a failed policy, and which only the president, and the Democrats have saved us from mirroring, albeit a constant struggle to accomplish.

War time is the time for raising taxes, not cutting them, and during an economic recovery it is the time to invest in jobs, raise taxes on the wealthiest, and cut taxes for the rest, the Middle class, who are the true job creators, and the most prolific consumers, and give aid to those who are suffering the most.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-18281669

Sev
06-01-2012, 09:22 AM
Your grasping at straws.

Sev
06-07-2012, 06:38 AM
Weekly Jobs number today. 377,000 seeking unemployment benefits.
To be revised up next week.

Sev
06-07-2012, 07:02 AM
The previous weeks numbers revised up to 389,000.

LWW
06-07-2012, 08:19 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your grasping at straws. </div></div>

I remember someone here declaring the recession to be over.

eg8r
06-07-2012, 09:05 AM
If Obama loses you know the left will say businesses were firing people on purpose to make sure Obama gets the blame.

eg8r

Soflasnapper
06-07-2012, 09:24 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your grasping at straws. </div></div>

I remember someone here declaring the recession to be over. </div></div>

It is over, since 2009. Check it, if you are in doubt.

eg8r
06-07-2012, 09:28 AM
Yep, just like the war was over when W stood in front of a sign that said Mission Accomplished.

eg8r

Soflasnapper
06-07-2012, 10:41 AM
If only he hadn't forgotten to issue an executive order!

Slipped up again, which is why he remains the least popular former president (alive or not, not sure), by a recent poll result.

Sev
06-08-2012, 06:11 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your grasping at straws. </div></div>

It is over, since 2009. Check it, if you are in doubt. </div></div>

I wonder what they will say if that jobs creation number that just plummeted goes negative prior to the election.

Just out of curiosity I'd really like to find out.

Gayle in MD
06-08-2012, 06:39 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If only he hadn't forgotten to issue an executive order!

Slipped up again, which is why he remains the least popular former president (alive or not, not sure), by a recent poll result. </div></div>

George W. Bush is the least popular living president.

But, in every independent historical, including both deceased presidents, and living presidents, and in each element of analysis, he is way down on every specific appraisal subject, from the Environment, where he is among the lowest, to foreign policy, to the economy....etc.

Cheney's numbers are even worse.

G.

Gayle in MD
06-08-2012, 06:41 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your grasping at straws. </div></div>

Not at all. My statements are based on facts.

G.

Sev
06-08-2012, 06:52 AM
According to your interpretation.

Gayle in MD
06-08-2012, 10:15 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">According to your interpretation. </div></div>

Facts are facts.

Your own continuing interpretations of every single new article, by as many RWers as you can find, is hand picked to advertise as much bad news as you can find, along with your crying little icon face.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I've been warning you, you're going to dehydrate you've been crying so long!

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/whistle.gif

Sev
06-08-2012, 10:36 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">According to your interpretation. </div></div>

Facts are facts.

Your own continuing interpretations of every single new article, by as many RWers as you can find, is hand picked to advertise as much bad news as you can find, along with your crying little icon face.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/whistle.gif </div></div>

HAHHAHAHA!!!

I'll try to remember to rehydrate. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Oh by the way. While re-hydrating I made personal discovery. Ouzo prevents heartburn. Been testing it for a week and a half by mixing it with various fruit juices and no more need for any tums in the wee hours of the morning.

Apparently it is the black liquorish that it is made from.

Cure the heartburn and enjoy a beverage at the same time. Life is good. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Gayle in MD
06-08-2012, 10:42 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">According to your interpretation. </div></div>

Facts are facts.

HAHHAHAHA!!!

Oh by the way. While re-hydrating I made personal discovery. Ouzo prevents heartburn. Been testing it for a week and a half by mixing it with various fruit juices and no more need for any tums in the wee hours of the morning.

Cure the heartburn and enjoy a beverage at the same time. Life is good. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </div></div>

Well good for you Sev.

Now do tell, what is Ouzo? I've never heard of it.

BTW, black Licorice assuages tobacco cravings when people are trying to quit smoking, as well.

G.

Sev
06-08-2012, 11:11 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">According to your interpretation. </div></div>

Facts are facts.

HAHHAHAHA!!!

Cure the heartburn and enjoy a beverage at the same time. Life is good. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </div></div>

Well good for you Sev.

Now do tell, what is Ouzo? I've never heard of it.

BTW, black Licorice assuages tobacco cravings when people are trying to quit smoking, as well.

G. </div></div>

Good to know. I have never smoked. I can pass that along though.

Ouzo is a Greek liquor. Runs 80 proof.
Generally used as an aperitif or dinner cordial.

I have been mixing it with a combination of apple, kiwi and strawberry juice. Seems to compliment it quite well.
I tried both orange and grapefruit juices. Not quite as good. However I can see how some people would enjoy the combination.
Also tried a mix with pomegranate, blueberry and grape. Not bad either.

Gayle in MD
06-08-2012, 11:23 AM
Ever tried plain old Bitters?

Works immediately.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Sev
06-08-2012, 03:36 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ever tried plain old Bitters?

Works immediately.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </div></div>

I used bitters, lemon and sugar for hiccups.
I'll keep that in mind.

The heartburn I get is like clockwork at 2AM. I very rarely get it during the day. Its generally only if I lay down. I believe its related to alcohol. If I dont have a cocktail or a beer the frequency of heartburn drops right of.
So I know the source. However if can use the source to prevent heartburn. Well thats just dandy. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
Of course I could stand to lose about 12lbs so I am sure that would also make a difference.

Sev
06-14-2012, 06:37 AM
Jobs number this week. 386,000 claims.
Experts expected 375,000.

If the trend continues expect an upward revision next week.

Gayle in MD
06-14-2012, 07:21 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First time jobless claims came in at 383,000. Experts expected 370,00. Claims are trending in the wrong direction and the initial number if the past trend continues should be expected to be revised up. This is a 5 week high.
</div></div>Don't you get it, the lefties are trying to say this is the mass exodus of baby boomers, not a poor economy being led by an incompetent president.

eg8r </div></div>

REPUBLICAN SNAKE-LIKE STRATEGIES COMING TO FRUITION. RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOUR FACE.
by Larry “Lusciato” Krayn
06 June 2012
Blatant Minority

It was something we spoke about amidst rallies, parties, and champagne corks. We huddled confused, frightened, nervous, and cautiously optimistic in our class rooms, dinner parties, and over our weekend cocktails. Outside of our intellectual, rational confines, the world was experiencing somewhat of a hysteria.

Tea Partiers were using magic markers to write misspelled signs about the dangers of “Afro-Lenninism, Kenyan anti-colonial socialism, and the end of “America”, Future Ron Paul supporters and future Occupy Wall Street members were rejoicing, waiting for the flash of an instant where equality would reign throughout Earth, Marijuana would be made legal federally, Gay Marriage would be legalized constitutionally, and all foreign conflict would immediately be halted.

But trapped within the maximum security prisons that were our own rationality and logic, intellectual, liberal-minded people, understood that we were in for a huge undertaking, and that navigating a harsh social and political environment was going to be essential in achieving any tangible restructuring of the bad policies that had gotten us into one of the worst periods in recent national memory. Unfortunately, we were not the only ones.

Several people in the same settings, but with an ideological slant that leaned right, just as logical, just as rational, and perhaps much more cunning and ruthless, were talking about the very same things. However, with these people the mission was not to fix the ills of America, it was not to set parameters for a collaborative government that would now have to function in a world in which they were the minority (the american people had spoken), but to figure out the best possible way to win the next presidential election, to win the next congressional election, and to eventually win back the senate, house, and presidency.

These masters of equivocation may tell you the reasons behind their strategies are only meant to achieve what “is best for America” (the arrogant claim that them gaining complete control is the only possible thing good for America, even though them having that very same level of control is what steered us into this mess in the first place) But the truth is, no one really knows why power was their only aim for the better part of 4 years. Not progress, not fixing the deficit, not creating jobs, not governing. In fact, one of their biggest “achievements” was nearly bringing the entire U.S. government to a halt, and nearly defaulting on U.S. debt, potentially causing the greatest financial and economic collapse in human history.

The reasons that these people did this have been outlined in various works and have been referenced by various writers, historians, scholars, and others very recently. One of the most recent and comprehensive works on the subject has been Robert Draper’s “Ask Not What Good We Do” in which a meeting of the minds is recounted. A meeting that took place between several key republican leaders as well as former presidential candidate Newt Gingrich on the night of president Obama’s inauguration. The conclusion of the meeting was, in summary, that the Republican party must do anything and everything possible to stone-wall the Newly elected and optimistic President of the United States, even if the country suffered. The reason behind this? To paint him as a failed leader, a failed president, and someone who could not get things done.

In fact, Senate filibusters (which are measures enacted by the minority party in the senate to stall or completely stop any kind of legislation dead in its tracks if the majority party cannot attain a 60 vote super majority) Reached a Record high under the republican minority. The first year democrats controlled the senate in 07-08 there were a record number 112 filibusters in the senate. The most the democrats have ever filibustered in the same time span historically has been 58 times.

Republicans have been filibustering a multitude of President Obama’s nominees for various agencies as well. Even federal judges are being held up for their positions. As many as 16 of these judges have already been UNANIMOUSLY approved by the bi-partisan judicial committee! These judges are not permitted to work while they are waiting, and some have been waiting in excess of a year!

This does not make mention of the budget. In fact, the senate has not passed a Budget in 3 years. The reason for this is that in order for a budget to take effect, it needs that same 60 vote super-majority. Of course senate democrats cannot attain that majority while being stone-walled by every single republican in the senate (even when a few cross the aisle it is extremely hard for them to attain the needed 60)

In the house, republicans have continually shoved through vicious, heartless, unrealistic, and radical budget plans, that were sure to cause a dispute and non-surmountable filibuster in the Senate. The house walked away from deficit reduction deals on numerous occasions, due to the fact that President Obama requested basic compromise (Meaning he asked for a 4% increase in top marginal tax rate, a return to the exponential job growth years of Clinton, where the rates were the same as Obama has requested, in exchange for his cuts to entitlement programs). The House invoked a debt ceiling debate, and then blamed President Obama when the resulting credit rating downgrade of the U.S. occurred.

But, all these things must not have existed at all according to most Republicans currently taking to national media outlets with their message. According to these people, “The democratic senate has not passed a budget in 3 years” , “The President is not a good leader, because he cannot reach across the aisle and constructively work with republicans to move the country forward” “He is a failed leader because job growth is anemic” Yet the jobs created have been all private sector jobs, while public sector jobs have taken a nose dive, mainly due to republican ideology and core beliefs – which state public sector jobs should be axed. Not to mention the fact that Republicans have filibustered and defeated virtually every single Jobs bill the President has attempted to introduce, and have offered up none of their own (aside from tax cuts).

The sad thing is that several Americans are buying into this deceptive, snake-like nonsense. The Republican party for the better part of the last 4 years, has done nothing but lay groundwork for their return to power by harnessing hate, harnessing homophobia, harnessing fear of change and progress, being a constant impediment to the president no matter what he does, even if he is attempting to pass legislation traditionally championed by Republicans etc.

These people have not attempted to fix the nations ills, they have not attempted to elevate or assist the middle class, they have not attempted in the least to create any jobs or to get the economy going again. No, these people have only spread lies, hate, misinformation, and propaganda in a concerted and planned effort to win the 2012 elections.

And now all around us, right in front of our faces, everywhere, the serpentine strategies are being sprung into action. Men and women with smiling faces, posing as concerned well-meaning intellectuals are telling us that “The President has failed to lead, has failed to get things done” “We need a pragmatist, a true leader”. In reality they are reciting a perfectly planned and rehearsed mantra of deception. They have let a lust for power undermine trust int he government, and they make no apologies for doing such. We must stand together as contributing and concerned citizens, and we must make it known to our peers and fellow voters, that we are not falling for these deceitful tactics, rather we know who stands with us, and who stands for only themselves.

Dont. Tread. On. Me. ! (lol)

written by Larry “Lusciato” Krayn

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

REPUBLICAN SNAKE-LIKE STRATEGIES COMING TO FRUITION. RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOUR FACE.
by Larry “Lusciato” Krayn
06 June 2012
Blatant Minority

It was something we spoke about amidst rallies, parties, and champagne corks. We huddled confused, frightened, nervous, and cautiously optimistic in our class rooms, dinner parties, and over our weekend cocktails. Outside of our intellectual, rational confines, the world was experiencing somewhat of a hysteria.

Tea Partiers were using magic markers to write misspelled signs about the dangers of “Afro-Lenninism, Kenyan anti-colonial socialism, and the end of “America”, Future Ron Paul supporters and future Occupy Wall Street members were rejoicing, waiting for the flash of an instant where equality would reign throughout Earth, Marijuana would be made legal federally, Gay Marriage would be legalized constitutionally, and all foreign conflict would immediately be halted.

But trapped within the maximum security prisons that were our own rationality and logic, intellectual, liberal-minded people, understood that we were in for a huge undertaking, and that navigating a harsh social and political environment was going to be essential in achieving any tangible restructuring of the bad policies that had gotten us into one of the worst periods in recent national memory. Unfortunately, we were not the only ones.

Several people in the same settings, but with an ideological slant that leaned right, just as logical, just as rational, and perhaps much more cunning and ruthless, were talking about the very same things. However, with these people the mission was not to fix the ills of America, it was not to set parameters for a collaborative government that would now have to function in a world in which they were the minority (the american people had spoken), but to figure out the best possible way to win the next presidential election, to win the next congressional election, and to eventually win back the senate, house, and presidency.

These masters of equivocation may tell you the reasons behind their strategies are only meant to achieve what “is best for America” (the arrogant claim that them gaining complete control is the only possible thing good for America, even though them having that very same level of control is what steered us into this mess in the first place) But the truth is, no one really knows why power was their only aim for the better part of 4 years. Not progress, not fixing the deficit, not creating jobs, not governing. In fact, one of their biggest “achievements” was nearly bringing the entire U.S. government to a halt, and nearly defaulting on U.S. debt, potentially causing the greatest financial and economic collapse in human history.

The reasons that these people did this have been outlined in various works and have been referenced by various writers, historians, scholars, and others very recently. One of the most recent and comprehensive works on the subject has been Robert Draper’s “Ask Not What Good We Do” in which a meeting of the minds is recounted. A meeting that took place between several key republican leaders as well as former presidential candidate Newt Gingrich on the night of president Obama’s inauguration. The conclusion of the meeting was, in summary, that the Republican party must do anything and everything possible to stone-wall the Newly elected and optimistic President of the United States, even if the country suffered. The reason behind this? To paint him as a failed leader, a failed president, and someone who could not get things done.

In fact, Senate filibusters (which are measures enacted by the minority party in the senate to stall or completely stop any kind of legislation dead in its tracks if the majority party cannot attain a 60 vote super majority) Reached a Record high under the republican minority. The first year democrats controlled the senate in 07-08 there were a record number 112 filibusters in the senate. The most the democrats have ever filibustered in the same time span historically has been 58 times.

Republicans have been filibustering a multitude of President Obama’s nominees for various agencies as well. Even federal judges are being held up for their positions. As many as 16 of these judges have already been UNANIMOUSLY approved by the bi-partisan judicial committee! These judges are not permitted to work while they are waiting, and some have been waiting in excess of a year!

This does not make mention of the budget. In fact, the senate has not passed a Budget in 3 years. The reason for this is that in order for a budget to take effect, it needs that same 60 vote super-majority. Of course senate democrats cannot attain that majority while being stone-walled by every single republican in the senate (even when a few cross the aisle it is extremely hard for them to attain the needed 60)

In the house, republicans have continually shoved through vicious, heartless, unrealistic, and radical budget plans, that were sure to cause a dispute and non-surmountable filibuster in the Senate. The house walked away from deficit reduction deals on numerous occasions, due to the fact that President Obama requested basic compromise (Meaning he asked for a 4% increase in top marginal tax rate, a return to the exponential job growth years of Clinton, where the rates were the same as Obama has requested, in exchange for his cuts to entitlement programs). The House invoked a debt ceiling debate, and then blamed President Obama when the resulting credit rating downgrade of the U.S. occurred.

But, all these things must not have existed at all according to most Republicans currently taking to national media outlets with their message. According to these people, “The democratic senate has not passed a budget in 3 years” , “The President is not a good leader, because he cannot reach across the aisle and constructively work with republicans to move the country forward” “He is a failed leader because job growth is anemic” Yet the jobs created have been all private sector jobs, while public sector jobs have taken a nose dive, mainly due to republican ideology and core beliefs – which state public sector jobs should be axed. Not to mention the fact that Republicans have filibustered and defeated virtually every single Jobs bill the President has attempted to introduce, and have offered up none of their own (aside from tax cuts).

The sad thing is that several Americans are buying into this deceptive, snake-like nonsense. The Republican party for the better part of the last 4 years, has done nothing but lay groundwork for their return to power by harnessing hate, harnessing homophobia, harnessing fear of change and progress, being a constant impediment to the president no matter what he does, even if he is attempting to pass legislation traditionally championed by Republicans etc.

These people have not attempted to fix the nations ills, they have not attempted to elevate or assist the middle class, they have not attempted in the least to create any jobs or to get the economy going again. No, these people have only spread lies, hate, misinformation, and propaganda in a concerted and planned effort to win the 2012 elections.

And now all around us, right in front of our faces, everywhere, the serpentine strategies are being sprung into action. Men and women with smiling faces, posing as concerned well-meaning intellectuals are telling us that “The President has failed to lead, has failed to get things done” “We need a pragmatist, a true leader”. In reality they are reciting a perfectly planned and rehearsed mantra of deception. They have let a lust for power undermine trust int he government, and they make no apologies for doing such. We must stand together as contributing and concerned citizens, and we must make it known to our peers and fellow voters, that we are not falling for these deceitful tactics, rather we know who stands with us, and who stands for only themselves.

Dont. Tread. On. Me. ! (lol)

written by Larry “Lusciato” Krayn

Sev
06-14-2012, 04:08 PM
Last weeks numbers were revised up to 380,000 from 377,000.

LWW
06-14-2012, 07:05 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Last weeks numbers were revised up to 380,000 from 377,000. </div></div>

That's 66 out of 67 weeks.

Sev
06-15-2012, 05:47 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your grasping at straws. </div></div>

Correct me here as I dont quite remember.

Wasnt it declared over prior to any of Obama's policies being put in place?

Gayle in MD
06-15-2012, 10:30 AM
The current President re-negotiated, and insisted on conditions for any of our people, remaining and for all of them, leaving.

Remaining Americans in Iraq, are to be protected from combat and have no combat duties.

Any infringement of the agreements, means we remove all Americans, immediately.

There was a time table set up, and agreed to, but it did not include the protections of our troops, which our current president insisted upon, among other requirements.

So, it was President Obama, who safely ended combat duty in Iraq.
However, invading Iraq, is still considered the worst foreign policiy decision in our history, AND the most costly mistake our country has ever made, in terms of "winning" anything at all.

It was a policy which was an unwinnable mistake, from the start, and gained absolutely nothing, of any justifiable consequence, for our country.
G.

LWW
06-15-2012, 12:56 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your grasping at straws. </div></div>

Wasnt it declared over prior to any of Obama's policies being put in place? </div></div>

I believe the queen declared it over two years ago?

Gayle in MD
06-15-2012, 01:08 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Last weeks numbers were revised up to 380,000 from 377,000. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Chart Book: The Legacy of the Great Recession
Updated June 1, 2012

The United States went through its longest, and by most measures worst economic recession since the Great Depression between December 2007 and June 2009. This chartbook will document the course of the economy following that recession against the background of how deep a hole the recession created – and how much deeper that hole would have been without the financial stabilization and fiscal stimulus policies enacted in late 2008 and early 2009.

chart at link below:

Private Payroll Employment Has Grown For 27 Months

The pace of monthly job losses slowed dramatically soon after President Obama and Congress enacted the Recovery Act in February 2009. The trend in job growth in 2010 was obscured by the rapid ramp-up and subsequent decline in government hiring for the 2010 Census (which is now over), but private employers added nearly 4.3 million jobs to their payrolls in the last 27 months, an average of 158,000 jobs a month. Private employers added 82,000 jobs to their payrolls in May, while losses in federal, state, and local government employment held the total payroll employment gain to 69,000 jobs.

Part II: The Recession Put the Economy in a Deep Hole
GDP Fell Far Below What the Economy Was Capable of Producing

In the first quarter of 2012, the demand for goods and services (actual GDP) was about $893 billion (5.5 percent) less than what the economy was capable of supplying (potential GDP). This large output gap, which is manifested in a high rate of unemployment and substantial idle productive capacity among businesses, is the legacy of the Great Recession. Congressional Budget Office projections show the gap closing slowly over the next several years as actual GDP grows only moderately faster than potential GDP.

GDP grew at a 1.9 percent annual rate in the first quarter. A period of growth of 4 percent or better would be needed to propel the economy back toward full employment more rapidly.

Job Losses Were Unprecedented

Although employers began to add jobs in 2010, the economy has recovered only about 3.8 million of the 8.7 million jobs lost between the start of the recession in December 2007 and early 2010. As a result nonfarm payroll employment was 3.6 percent (5.0 million jobs) lower in May 2012 than it was at the start of the recession.

The economy still faces a long and difficult climb out of the jobs hole created by the recent recession. The private sector created, on average, about 158,000 jobs a month in the past 27 months — a pace somewhat faster than population growth. That has contributed to a decline in the unemployment rate, but much faster job growth will be needed to restore normal labor force participation.

The jobs deficit from this recession is much larger than those in previous recessions. The economy would have to create an average of 207,000 jobs each month for the next two years just to return to the December 2007 level of employment — and even more to restore full employment, since the population and potential labor force are now larger. Economic growth will have to pick up substantially to see a strong jobs recovery begin.

The Unemployment Rate Rose to Near Its Postwar High...

The unemployment rate rose far higher than in the previous two recessions and far faster than (though not quite as high as) in the deep 1981-82 recession. Technically, the recession that began in December 2007 ended in June 2009 as the economy began growing again, but unemployment remains high.

...And Has Stayed High Long After the End of the Recession

Thus far, modest job growth and job creation has kept the unemployment rate high long after the end of the recession. This is similar to what happened in the previous two recessions, and does not resemble the fairly rapid decline that followed the severe 1981-82 recession. Both the Congressional Budget Office and the Federal Reserve warn that unless the pace of economic growth and job creation picks up dramatically, it will be several years before the unemployment rate returns to normal levels.

The Share of the Population with a Job Fell to Levels Not Seen Since the Mid-1980s

The sharp rise in the unemployment rate and the increasingly discouraging prospect of finding a job caused a decline in the percentage of the population in the labor force (those either working or looking for work). As a result of rising unemployment and declining labor force participation, the percentage of the population with a job fell sharply. In May 2012, the labor force participation rate and the percentage of the population with a job both edged slightly up, but remained near levels last seen in the 1980s.

Long-Term Unemployment Rose to Historic Highs

During the recession, the share of the labor force unemployed for more than 26 weeks rose higher than at any point in the past six decades (the next highest was 2.6 percent in June 1983). Long-term unemployment remains a significant concern: over two-fifths (42.8 percent) of the 12.7 million people who were unemployed in May 2012 had been looking for work for 27 weeks or longer.

Labor Market Slack Reached a Record High

The Labor Department’s most comprehensive alternative unemployment rate measure — which includes people who want to work but are discouraged from looking and people working part time because they can’t find full-time jobs — recorded its highest reading on record in data that go back to 1994. In May 2012, this rate edged up to 14.8 percent.

The Number of People Looking for Work Swelled Compared with the Number of Job Openings

At one point at the beginning of the recovery there were 7 people looking for work for every job opening. That ratio has declined, but remains high. In March 2012, 12.7 million workers were unemployed but there were only 3.7 million job openings, or more than 3 unemployed workers for every available position — in other words, even if every available job were filled by an unemployed individual, 2 out of 3 unemployed workers would still be unemployed.

Part III: The Great Recession Would Have Been Even Worse without Financial Stabilization and Fiscal Stimulus Policies
GDP Would Have Been Lower Without the Recovery Act...

The Recovery Act was designed to boost the demand for goods and services above what it otherwise would be in order to preserve jobs in the recession and create them in the recovery. The Congressional Budget Office finds that GDP has been higher each year since 2009 than it would have been without the Recovery Act (with the largest impact in 2010 when GDP was between 0.7 and 4.1 percent higher than it otherwise would have been). The economy is still benefiting from the Recovery Act, although as expected that effect is diminishing as the economy grows; CBO estimates that GDP in the second quarter of 2012 will be between 0.2 and 0.9 percent larger than it would have been without the Recovery Act.

...And Unemployment Would Have Been Higher

The Congressional Budget Office estimated that because of the Recovery Act, the unemployment rate has been lower each year since 2009 than it otherwise would have been. CBO finds that in the second quarter of 2012 the unemployment rate will be 0.1 to 0.6 percentage points lower than it otherwise would have been and payroll employment will be between 0.2 million and 1.2 million jobs greater than it otherwise would have been.

</div></div>

http://www.cbpp.org/cms/index.cfm?fa=view&id=3252

Gayle in MD
06-15-2012, 01:22 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your grasping at straws. </div></div>

Wasnt it declared over prior to any of Obama's policies being put in place? </div></div>

I believe the queen declared it over two years ago? </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Gayle and LWW, we all now completely understand that you two don't like each other. No real need to keep belaboring the point.

My suggestion now is to ignore each other.

Any posts from either of you pointing at the other one will result in an immediate (and very long) ban.

Admin

</div></div>

Sev
06-15-2012, 03:33 PM
I believe you just answered a question I did not ask.

I was talking about the recession.

Soflasnapper
06-15-2012, 07:11 PM
According to the NEBR, the national referee that calls when recessions begin and end, the recession ended in June 2009.

Here's the story. (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39269753/ns/business-eye_on_the_economy/t/great-recession-over-research-group-says/#.T9vb6MVLFfw)

Obama's stimulus was passed by Congress in February 2009.

So the answer to your question is, no, the recession did not end before any of Obama's policies took place.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Was the Stimulus Act a Success?

By most economic indicators, the Economic Stimulus Package was a success. In March 2009, before it was launched, Q1 GDP was -6.4% (it has since been revised to -4.9%)and the Dow had slid to 6,500. By Q4 2009, GDP was +5% and the Dow had risen to 10,428. Not all of that success can be attributed to the Stimulus Package, since expansive monetary policy and strong emerging markets also helped boost the economy. However, those were all in place in March 2009. No doubt, the economic stimulus package inspired the confidence needed turn the economy around. </div></div>

Here (http://useconomy.about.com/od/candidatesandtheeconomy/a/Obama_Stimulus.htm), with more details on the stimulus package and results.

Soflasnapper
06-15-2012, 07:16 PM
I wonder what they will say if that jobs creation number that just plummeted goes negative prior to the election.

Just out of curiosity I'd really like to find out.

George W. Bush had the longest period of consecutive positive job growth numbers in a row of any president.

Bill Clinton did not, as he had a couple reporting periods with negative job growth (losses) during his own terms.

However, GW Bush's job record was among the worst in post-WW II history, probably THE worst (in terms of the totals).

Clinton's 24 million new jobs was an extremely strong number, possibly a record, but even it did not feature such an unbroken string of no negative reporting periods.

So the answer is that someone asking the question has amnesia, and doesn't understand the dynamics of these things very well.

Gayle in MD
06-16-2012, 08:44 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I believe you just answered a question I did not ask.

I was talking about the recession. </div></div>

As the information I posted for you shows, the recession is over.

G.