PDA

View Full Version : To err is human, ESPN NBA coverage style

Soflasnapper
05-31-2012, 06:11 PM
I've been glued to the set to watch the NBA playoffs, when I haven't gone in person. (Which was only once so far this year-- the Miami Herald got me two tickets for Monday's game 1, Celtics v Heat, because I'm a very nice guy or maybe because I spend $500k in advertising with them a year-- not sure which /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif ).

Last night's overtime game was a thriller, but two scoring graphic chyron errors made me spit out my beer, cry out curses, and rewind the dvr.

One time, after a Heat score, they failed to show the extra two points for about an hour, it seemed like. Probably closer to a minute, but way way longer than they usually take.

The next time, Boston had scored two points to go from 99 to 101, but the score was shown as 103, and then you could see it go down twice to the actual 101 (briefly showing 102, also wrong).

No harm no foul, as they say in basketball sometimes, but think about it: these are professional broadcasters, employing professionals at their job as scorekeepers, and dedicated presumably to getting it right. Other than that the persons involved were smoking dope, I cannot explain these errors, except as what I suppose they really were-- pure human error.

As a concept, unsurprising. As an example, very surprising instance of the obvious concept. As both errors went against the Heat's score, as long as they lasted, a paranoid person might suspect an evil, pro-C intent. Most certainly it was not.

How much of every day life, and in politics especially, do we jump the gun on, to presume malice and intent where there is only ignorance and human frailty?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Hanlon's Razor
http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/H/Hanlons-Razor.html
A corollary of Finagle's Law, similar to Occam's Razor, that reads “Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.” </div></div>