PDA

View Full Version : Why I Stopped Being a Right-Winger

DiabloViejo
06-02-2012, 06:24 PM
Why I Stopped Being a Right-Winger -- Modern Conservatism Has Become a Form of Mass Hysteria

A former conservative who worked for Reagan and wrote for National Review says the new hysterical right cares nothing for truth or dignity.

LINK TO THE ARTICLE (http://www.alternet.org/story/155592/why_i_stopped_being_a_right-winger_--_modern_conservatism_has_become_a_form_of_mass_hys teria?page=entire)

Soflasnapper
06-02-2012, 06:30 PM
Bluto-style food fights and ass-clowning, from exceptionally unqualified, undignified, and unpatriotic careerist partisans.

Sev
06-02-2012, 07:01 PM
Well thats several minutes I will never get back.

DiabloViejo
06-02-2012, 08:20 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well thats several minutes I will never get back. </div></div>

Who cares what you think? *Yawn* It's not like I was expecting anything different from you. Hell, if a liberal told you that eating cow pies is bad for you, you'd start scarfing them down like they were made of caviar. BTW, did you know that a recent study at the University of California, Berkeley, concluded that applying a vise grip to your nuts is bad for you! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Sev
06-03-2012, 06:06 PM
Tsk. Tsk. Tsk.

DiabloViejo
06-03-2012, 06:33 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tsk. Tsk. Tsk. </div></div>

LOL! I feel for ya man, it must be hard to type with those Vise Grips clamped down hard! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

LWW
06-04-2012, 04:39 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well thats several minutes I will never get back. </div></div>

Whenever something is sourced through alternet you know it's a moonbat crazy leftist rant.

DiabloViejo
06-04-2012, 07:33 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Whenever something is sourced through alternet you know it's a moonbat crazy leftist rant. </div></div>

Translation: I didn't read the article, I don't care who wrote it, or how many links it contains to back it up. So, rather than address the points made by the author, I'll attack the source because it doesn't fit my ideological construct. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

eg8r
06-04-2012, 08:20 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diablow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I didn't read the article, I don't care who wrote it, or how many links it contains to back it up. So, rather than address the points made by the author, I'll attack the source because it doesn't fit my ideological construct.</div></div>Good job diablow, admitting it is the first step to your rehabilitation.

eg8r

DiabloViejo
06-04-2012, 03:31 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diablow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I didn't read the article, I don't care who wrote it, or how many links it contains to back it up. So, rather than address the points made by the author, I'll attack the source because it doesn't fit my ideological construct.</div></div>Good job diablow, admitting it is the first step to your rehabilitation.

eg8r </div></div>

Man, you are soooo weak. LOL! You come off as though you're some pimply faced 12 year old. Is that what passes for wit and eloquence in your stretch of cracker land?

Anyone who reads the post immediately before yours can only deduce that you are far from being the sharpest tack. I suppose that all that heat and all those snakes and gators... (plus having Voldemort as your state governor), does a number on your brain. If ignorance is bliss, then you must be drooling with joy! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

BTW, how many brownie points does LWW give you for coming to his defense while being his loyal nut hugger? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

LWW
06-04-2012, 04:09 PM
You never were a right winger.

DiabloViejo
06-04-2012, 04:18 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You never were a right winger. </div></div>

And you still have reading comprehension problems. So pay attention:

Why I Stopped Being a Right-Winger -- Modern Conservatism Has Become a Form of Mass Hysteria
A former conservative who worked for Reagan and wrote for National Review says the new hysterical right cares nothing for truth or dignity.
<span style="color: #990000"><u>By Michael Fumento</u></span>
May 24, 2012

Excerpted from Wikipedia:

<span style="color: #000099">Fumento has been a nationally syndicated columnist for the Scripps Howard News Service, a legal writer for the Washington Times, a science correspondent for Reason magazine, editorial writer for the Rocky Mountain News in Denver, and was the first “National Issues” reporter for Investor’s Business Daily. He embedded four times in Iraq and Afghanistan, including with the Navy SEALs and 101st Airborne. His research and reporting from Ramadi, Iraq, then the most dangerous city in the world, was highly praised by Gen. David Petraeus who called it “Great stuff with a great unit in a very tough neighborhood![1] Some of his combat video footage has aired on the History Channel.[6]

A finalist for the prestigious National Magazine Award, his articles have appeared around the world including in such magazines as Readers’ Digest, The Atlantic Monthly, Forbes, Forbes.com, USA Weekend, The Weekly Standard, National Review, The New Republic, The Washington Monthly, Reason, Policy Review, The American Spectator, Nature Medicine, The Spectator (London), a3Umwelt (Austria), and The Bulletin (Australia). He’s appeared in such newspapers as the Wall Street Journal, the New York Times, Washington Post, Los Angeles Times, Chicago Tribune, Christian Science Monitor, Sunday Times of London, Sunday Telegraph of London, and the Jerusalem Post.[1]

His television appearances include Nightline; ABC World News; ABC News 20/20; numerous programs on CBS; NBC; CNN; and Fox; PBS; MacNeil-Lehrer; CNBC; the BBC; the Canadian Broadcasting Network; C-SPAN; the Christian Broadcasting Network; Donahue; This Week with David Brinkley, the History Channel, ESPN, and many others. Mr. Fumento has also lectured throughout the nation and the world, including South America, many countries in Europe, and Asia.[1]

In addition to AIDS, Fumento's writing on science have covered other such topics as global warming, ADHD, obesity, the health dangers of breast implants, teen drug use, and Agrarian utopianism. He has been highly critical of what he considers extreme alarmism over such diseases as SARS,[7] and the potential of a human avian flu pandemic.[8] Fumento argues that many reports of threats to society are based on bad science and misused statistics.

A common theme is his claim that many liberal environmental groups have a hysterical response to most artificial chemicals. He writes that naturally occurring food chemicals are often every bit as toxic as artificial compounds, and there is no scientific reason to view natural compounds as inherently safer.

Environmental groups, he holds, will willingly accept claims that man-made compounds cause cancer, but gloss over the fact that the toxicity tests often involve quantities millions of times larger than any human being would ever ingest. Several of his articles deal with the agricultural chemical Alar, banned as a carcinogen in the United States; Fumento notes that the dosages in one Alar study were the equivalent of almost 30 thousand apples a day for life.[9] In his view, it is impossible to test megadoses of chemicals on mice or rats and extrapolate the results to conclusions about small doses on humans. The statistical nature of these studies, often analyzed by non-statisticians, leaves them vulnerable to extrapolation error. Researchers remain divided on the utility of such tests and on the safety of Alar in particular.

He also has been a frequent critic of activist Erin Brockovich since her eponymous movie first appeared in 2000.[10]
Fumento describes himself as a political conservative.[11] He has drawn criticism from liberal and veterans' activist groups for his views on Gulf War Syndrome, (His Reason article “Gulf Lore Syndrome”[12] was a National Magazine Award finalist in 1998[13]) and for his writings since 1987[14] which stated that the threat of AIDS to the heterosexual population was greatly overstated. He promotes a position of "skepticism" towards claims that man-made chemicals cause cancer in humans.

Fumento has been outspoken in his support of adult stem cell research and critical of embryonic stem cell research, criticising what he regards as a liberal and corporate bias in favour of the latter.

For Science Under Siege he received two awards, including the American Council on Science and Health's "Distinguished Science Journalist of 1993".

Break with the "extreme right"

In a May 2012 essay, Fumento said that he considered himself part of the "old right," but he rejected the "extreme right," which has taken over the Republican party and dominates conservative media. He gave the example of the Heartland Institute billboards, comparing believers in global warming with Ted Kaczynski. This, Fumento said, was the same kind of "mass hysteria" that he rejected in the claims for a heterosexual AIDS epidemic and a swine flu pandemic. "The last thing hysteria promoters want is calm, reasoned argument backed by facts. And I’m horrified that these people have co-opted the name 'conservative' to scream their messages of hate and anger," Fumento said.[56]
Conservatives such as William Buckley and Ronald Regan demanded civility and a respect for order, Fumento wrote. He contrasted this to Andrew Breitbart "shrieking at peaceful protesters."[56]
U.S. Rep. Allen West (R-FL) said there are “78 to 81” Democrats in Congress who are members of the Communist Party. There was little condemnation from the new right, wrote Fumento.[56]</span>

Any questions? No? Good! Class dismissed! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

LWW
06-05-2012, 03:04 AM
And you are a plagiarist as well I see.

It's sad that a grown man , such asyourself, who so desperately wants to be seen as bright feels the necessity to stoop so low as miming others the way you do.

DiabloViejo
06-05-2012, 08:48 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And you are a plagiarist as well I see.

It's sad that a grown man , such asyourself, who so desperately wants to be seen as bright feels the necessity to stoop so low as miming others the way you do. </div></div>

Oh please stop with the BS already. Go back to the very first post in this thread where I clearly provided a link to the original article (which of course you didn't read before shooting your lie spewing mouth off). Proper attribution and links have been provided for each and every post in this thread, and for each and every post where I have presented articles from other sources on this forum. OK you may now go back to frolicking in your manure pit of lies and stupidity.

BTW, I could care less if you, or any of your fellow demented piss-ant pals, thinks I'm bright or not. In fact I could not care any less what you guys think about anything, since the depth and breadth of your individual and collective thinking is so stilted and inconsequential, that it could fit into a gnat's ass without causing it any discomfort whatsoever.

You are an utterly pathetic and contemptible little man whose entire sense of self worth and self importance revolves around stirring up sh*t and spreading lies on internet forums. Face it, you're a loser and a failure. I'd call you a parasitic leech but that would be an insult to parasitic leeches, as they,unlike you, sometimes perform useful functions. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

LWW
06-06-2012, 04:28 AM
The article wasn't what I was referring to ... but, you already knew tat.

And, you should have titled te thread "WHY I BECAME A LOSER" if you wanted to be taken seriously.