PDA

View Full Version : OK Rape Victim Denied Emergency Contraception

DiabloViejo
06-02-2012, 08:07 PM
Oklahoma Rape Victim Denied Emergency Contraceptives. Doctor Cites Religious Objection As Reason
May 31, 2012
By Justin "Filthy Liberal Scum" Rosario
Addicting Info (http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/05/31/oklahoma-rape-victim-denied-emergency-contraceptives-doctor-cites-religious-objection-as-reason/)

http://www.addictinginfo.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/denied_icon.jpg

Remember when doctors did what was in the best interest of the patient? Remember when refusing to provide care could get you fired or even arrested? Well, those days are coming to a close as doctors and nurses have been freed by the GOP from any ethical or moral restraints. These days, a medical practitioner can simply ignore a patient because treating them goes against their “religious beliefs.”

This was the nightmare scenario for a 24 year old Oklahoma woman and her mother. Via Raw Story:

The woman and her daughter were reportedly turned away because the hospital did not have any nurses who conduct rape exams on staff. Sexual Assault Nurse Examiners (SANE) are specially trained professionals who deal only with the delicate process of conducting rape exams. The SANE program is coordinated through the YWCA and is a collaboration with local law enforcement, the Oklahoma County District Attorney’s Office and public health officials. The collaborative effort is designed to ensure evidence is properly collected and stored without re-traumatizing the victim and ensuring the most effective prosecution of the perpetrator possible.

Well, OK. Fair enough. If they have specialized staff specifically for that purpose and none were on hand, then I could see the doctor not wanting to interfere with the process of gathering evidence. But was that really the problem?

In this case the doctor involved refused to conduct any exam, nor would she dispense any emergency contraception. The hospital issued a statement grounding those decisions in the need to coordinate through the SANE program.

Wouldn’t dispense emergency contraception? That’s odd. Emergency contraception wouldn’t interfere with a rape kit at all or impact the investigation in any way. What could that be about?

The young woman asked the doctor whether or not emergency contraceptives were available and whether the doctor was simply refusing to provide them. The nurse told her “I will not give you emergency contraceptives because it goes against my belief.” The doctor refused to help her, even though she had just been raped, and refused to find another doctor to help her.

Ah. I see. So the doctor and nurse really refused to help because of their twisted beliefs. On top of that, according to the mother “Her (the doctor) attitude was so condescending. It was like she was treating my daughter like she had done something wrong.”

Heap some slut shaming on top of the religious fanaticism and you have the perfect Republican hospital visit: It’s your fault for getting raped and how dare you try to stop the potential pregnancy that is your just reward for being a whore?

The First Amendment guarantees both freedom of and from religion. No one forced these fanatics to become doctors or nurses. They have no right to force their religious delusions onto others and if they cannot perform the duties required of them, they should find another place of employment more suited to their beliefs. Further, what happens when one of these “true Christians” decides they don’t have to provide emergency services to a Muslim or a black person or a homeless person? All they have to say is “it’s against my religion” and that’s that. Where’s the morality? Where’s the accountability? Will it be OK for a Jewish doctor to refuse service to a Christian? Of course not. Like all conservative “beliefs,” it only exists to justify their callousness and can never be used against them. That would be “persecution.”

Qtec
06-03-2012, 03:42 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The First Amendment guarantees both freedom of and from religion. No one forced these fanatics to become doctors or nurses. They have no right to force their religious delusions onto others and if they cannot perform the duties required of them, they should find another place of employment more suited to their beliefs. </div></div>

Exactly.

Imagine the headline.

Army doctor refuses to help Navy Seal.

"Assassination is murder. That's against my religion. If I save his life, he will only go on to murder more people."

When will there be a religious provision in the law that makes sure YOUR taxes don't go towards murdering people in foreign countries?

Q

Sev
06-03-2012, 06:25 AM
Good to know there is that wall of separation of church and state isnt it??

Gayle in MD
06-03-2012, 07:09 AM
I hope she sues the hell out of them!

Extremist religiosity, is, IMO, a psychological illness, and as I have been writing for many years, it is the greatest threat to domestic peace in this country, and to our democracy.

Gays, AND doctors, as well as medical employees, and patients, are being murdered far more frequently by these radical religious nutjobs, who are sickos who think they have a right to dictate to others.

I want to see the DOJ, take an active role to deny them their tax examptions if they use their pulpits to voice ANY kind of political discussions within the walls of their curches.

It is a fact, that the Bush Administration ignored this growing domestic threat, and failed, intentionally, to go after those who broke the laws which protect those who seek abortions, provide abortions, and work where abortions are provided.

As we have witnessed right here, there are sick people who cheer murderers, in their twisted belief that they have a right to infringe on the privacy, personal decisions, and even the safety of others, who do not subscribe to their sick, radical opinions of the psychologically ill, and refuse to give up their rights to a sick desire to dictate..

RW militias, as well, have been pointed out by some of our most respected domestic organizations, such as TSPLC, when they have warned us for years now, of this growing religious, and politically based RW threat to domestic peace and individual protection from sicko radicals.

As long as Repiglicans fail to speak out against this demonizing of our fellow Americans, ad as long as they seek to use their positions as bull horns for their sick legislative behavior, I will continue to blame their party, for this tragic downfall of a legal system which actively protects our constitutional rights.

It is defintely a result of Repiglican Policies.

G.