PDA

View Full Version : US Open PPV

9 Ball Girl
10-02-2002, 12:47 PM
I'm just curious. For those who saw the whole shindig on Pay Per View, can you tell me how it was introduced as soon as it started? What kind of intro music, if any, did they play? What did Barry have to say when he was interviewed?

See, for those of us who were actually there, we could only hear what Scott Frost was saying and because we were sitting by the Accustat booth, every now and then we could hear them too.

Oh yeah, what did you guys think of the 2 ladies who walked around the table carrying the "round 1...etc" signs?

Wally_in_Cincy
10-02-2002, 01:21 PM
This is from memory, I haven't watched the tape.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> I'm just curious. For those who saw the whole shindig on Pay Per View, can you tell me how it was introduced as soon as it started? What kind of intro music, if any, did they play? <hr></blockquote>

I don't think there was music, just Jim Wych saying "Welcome to the finals...........blah,blah." Then the bagpipes. I liked that.

Then the lag. Then the guys started playing and I thought the match had started. Then they did 2 long interviews and I was freaking out. I thought we were missing the action.

What in the world were they thinking. They ran those 2 absolutely inane, imbecilic interviews before the match (the questions were stupid, not the players) and then ran short of time during the match. I thought it was very unfair to ask the players to speed up in this incredibly important match.

The guys in the booth were sweating too. You could tell they wre worried about running out of time.
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> What did Barry have to say when he was interviewed?

<hr></blockquote>

Not much..."great event" etc. etc.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr>

See, for those of us who were actually there, we could only hear what Scott Frost was saying and because we were sitting by the Accustat booth, every now and then we could hear them too.

<hr></blockquote>You mean Scott Smith?

Sigel and Incardona blabbed nonstop. Wych couldn't get a word in edgewise.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr>

Oh yeah, what did you guys think of the 2 ladies who walked around the table carrying the "round 1...etc" signs? <hr></blockquote>Silly.

9 Ball Girl
10-02-2002, 01:36 PM
Oopsie! I meant Scott Smith. My coworker was just talking about Scott Frost to me.

Anyway, yeah, during the player's interview, they had Alex run a practice rack and then Ralph ran a couple of practice racks and I don't remember if Alex got to run another one. In Alex's first practice rack, he broke, made a ball, and then combinated the 9 ball. In Ralph's first practice rack, he got the 9 in on the snap.

Unfortunately, although I could look over to the big screen and see what was being shown on PPV, we couldn't hear it. The interviews were a little long from what I remember but we couldn't hear that either. Watching them practice was kind of cool though. I had no idea they were showing the interviews 'til Scott kept taking the balls that Ralph was pocketing so that he can keep hitting them. It's then when I realized that I guess they were trying to fill in some time which only backfired towards the end when they implemented the shot clock. I thought that they messes up Ralph a little but you saw he had no problem. I also thought Alex might've shot at that 3 ball too fast on his last rack, IMO. But then again, what do I know? That's why they were playing and I was spectating! /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif

Thanks Wally.

Sid_Vicious
10-02-2002, 01:45 PM
"I thought it was very unfair to ask the players to speed up in this incredibly important match."

That just about totally turned me. Hell if the were concerned at all about time, then why did they have all that useless pre match BS at all, just clam up and let the players play their match, however they deem to use their time.

I have to be honest though and say that I did not really get what I thought I would in entertainment. Maybe the player's styles weren't much of a flair, and the rush on the clock was an added negative for sure..sid

Wally_in_Cincy
10-02-2002, 01:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> "I thought it was very unfair to ask the players to speed up in this incredibly important match."

That just about totally turned me. Hell if the were concerned at all about time, then why did they have all that useless pre match BS at all, just clam up and let the players play their match, however they deem to use their time.

I have to be honest though and say that I did not really get what I thought I would in entertainment. Maybe the player's styles weren't much of a flair, and the rush on the clock was an added negative for sure..sid <hr></blockquote>

I thought it was VERY entertaining seeing as it was live. I like to watch taped matches but it's just not the same.

Yes the stuff at the beginning was BS. Just play !!!!

rackmup
10-02-2002, 02:27 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>What in the world were they thinking. They ran those 2 absolutely inane, imbecilic interviews before the match (the questions were stupid, not the players)<hr></blockquote>

With this being said, read the "Official Press Release" below:
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>
PRESS RELEASE
October 1, 2002
2003 US OPEN NINEBALL CHAMPIONSHIP
http://www.chesapeakeconference.com/images/logo-arc.gif
http://www.chesapeakeconference.com/images/logo-ches.gif
900 Greenbrier Circle
Chesapeake, Virginia 23320
757.382.2500 -- | -- Fax 757.382.2525
chesconf@confctr.city.chesapeake.va.us

The Chesapeake Conference Center is Looking Ahead!

At the Chesapeake Conference Center, our focus is on one thing, making the US Open Nineball Championship a tremendous success. From Player Registration to the Championship match on the final day, our number one goal is to handle the needs of the Players and Fans while maintaining operating expenses affordable enough to fit Q-Master's budget.

As an added bonus, Chesapeake Conference Center is conveniently located in the heart of Hampton Roads. When the contestants aren't playing, they'll enjoy the area's finest variety of dining, shopping and entertainment. Plus, there's over 650 moderately priced hotel rooms within walking distance.

We're the conference center where your group, and your budget, can successfully meet every time.

Given the tremendous success of this year's event, the added success of the Pay-Per-View audience (the first PPV in US Open history!) and feedback from the players and their fans, we've already started planning next year's event for 2003!

Changes for next year include the following:
<ul type="square"> The "McCready" Pub. Booze 24/7!
Professional announcers! We received some negative feedback in the form of a petition, from a rather large association of "Professional Commentators", visiting the event from the town of Gradyem, Nebraska. In light of their complaints, and those from others, next years trio of commentators will be Oprah Winfrey, Geraldo Rivera and Barbara Walters!
Instead of the pink 4-ball, all balls will be "Ivan Simonis" fuscia.
Headsets will be provided for interpretation from the respective Countries represented at the event. No longer will one have to speculate what Tot is saying! These will prove handy in interpreting the musings of Mr. McCready as well.
Many others!
[/list]

We look forward to the return of the US OPEN next year and that of the players and fans. You can be certain, the event will rival all of those in year's prior.

Sincerely,

Martha Stewart
Interim (pending the investigation) Event Coordinator
Chesapeake Conference Center
Chesapeake, Virginia

10-02-2002, 02:49 PM
Ken, you have truly exploded the bar with this one!! What a shame the thread title will prevent many from seeing what may well be your opus. The Mcready references had me on the floor, crying. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

10-02-2002, 03:56 PM
All in all it was good coverage. I do think that the interviews and other filler items could have been handled a little better. The Sardo Rack-and the soft break- and spotting the nine on the spot- really slows the game down and make the game a little too much like one pocket--Sigel mentioned that--too many safeties in the begining of a rack.
I think if they have an hour delay on the next PPV they can adjust the amount of "filler" they need. And, by the way, the match the color commentators should be adding color too should be about the on-going nine ball match on PPV not about the commentator's past accomplishments. I think Sigel was and is a great player, but he should just watch the game next time.
You can't choose the players in the final, so the boring style(s) will have to be accepted. Still they both showed their fantastic professional ability at times......having said all that, if the finalists- as an example-had been Strickland and McCready, there would have been plenty of time to show a quarter final match before they showed the final....it would have been exciting, even when they missed. They would have had the audience involved (sceaming at them or applauding for them) and I would have subscribed a year in advance, instead of the day before. And of course it would have been better if Grady was doing the "color" commentary.

AzHousePro
10-02-2002, 04:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> That just about totally turned me. Hell if the were concerned at all about time, then why did they have all that useless pre match BS at all, just clam up and let the players play their match, however they deem to use their time.
<hr></blockquote>

The problem is that the PPV was live. They couldn't know early that there would be a time issue towards the end.

They had a three hour window. How would they have known at the beginning of the three hours that the match would run as long as it did.

The interviews would have been kind of wasted had they waited til after the match was over to show them.

Mike