PDA

View Full Version : Pool Players & Integrity

ceebee
10-02-2002, 12:50 PM
Just this last weekend, one of the Pool Hall Johnny's was busying himself to win a local Pool Tournament, although the field was much tougher than usual. In one match, I spoke to his opponent to remind him to move his penny. The Pool Hall Johnny called me down, he's the kind that cheats to win if necessary.
In the years I've played the game of Pool, I never really questioned my opponent's intellect. After all, what did it matter, They were not friends. They were only Pool Hall Johnny's, that gave up a few bucks now & then.
But, one day I noticed that several of my playing opponents were men of character & deed. These gentlemen have become my personal friends, the others are not.
Some of the other players are GREAT players, but they are theives, liars & dopers. Do these men deserve the accolades of their peers, simply because they can knock a round ball in the hole? I say, "HELL NO"!
Elevating some Predator, that lacks any form of integrity, to the top of your social list is no doubt a mistake.

bluewolf
10-02-2002, 01:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: ceebee:</font><hr> Just this last weekend, one of the Pool Hall Johnny's was busying himself to win a local Pool Tournament, although the field was much tougher than usual. In one match, I spoke to his opponent to remind him to move his penny. The Pool Hall Johnny called me down, he's the kind that cheats to win if necessary.
In the years I've played the game of Pool, I never really questioned my opponent's intellect. After all, what did it matter, They were not friends. They were only Pool Hall Johnny's, that gave up a few bucks now &amp; then.
But, one day I noticed that several of my playing opponents were men of character &amp; deed. These gentlemen have become my personal friends, the others are not.
Some of the other players are GREAT players, but they are theives, liars &amp; dopers. Do these men deserve the accolades of their peers, simply because they can knock a round ball in the hole? I say, "HELL NO"!
Elevating some Predator, that lacks any form of integrity, to the top of your social list is no doubt a mistake.
<hr></blockquote>

dont get the point. no matter where you go you can find fine character or scum.

bw

10-02-2002, 01:08 PM
True, but would you say the percentages of those of "fine character" and "scum" are the same everywhere? Would you expect to find the same percentages of good/bad people in a federal penitentiary as you would in a local non-profit charity organization?

Yes, there are good people in Pool halls. And there are bad people in every area in life. But in my experience, the percentages are definately skewed more towards the bad in Pool halls. I have constantly encountered behavior in Pool halls that I rarely (if ever) have encountered in any other areas in my adult life.

nAz
10-02-2002, 01:14 PM
Pool Players &amp; Integrity almost an oxymoron.

bluewolf
10-02-2002, 01:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Mike:</font><hr> True, but would you say the percentages of those of "fine character" and "scum" are the same everywhere? Would you expect to find the same percentages of good/bad people in a federal penitentiary as you would in a local non-profit charity organization?

Yes, there are good people in Pool halls. And there are bad people in every area in life. But in my experience, the percentages are definately skewed more towards the bad in Pool halls. I have constantly encountered behavior in Pool halls that I rarely (if ever) have encountered in any other areas in my adult life. <hr></blockquote>

i guess it fluctuates from ph to ph and church to church too. personally have met some great folks in the phs i have gone too.just avoid the others. pay them no mind.it is kind of like yin and yang. gotta have the dark to appreciate the light imo.

bw

10-02-2002, 02:06 PM
Part of the problem may lie in the Pool Hustler's modus operandi which is to get you to like him while he pulls his hustle. It's in his interest to be friendly and pleasant with you. He want's you to like him. He want's you to welcome him back.

This is a confidence game. A con man, unfortunately, once found out, is more dispicable to most people than a person whom you may just not care for or who doesn't like you, but is not trying to befriend you just to get over on you. Slim

rackmup
10-02-2002, 03:06 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Mike:</font><hr>"fine character" and "scum" are the same everywhere? <hr></blockquote>

Look only as far as Enron and MCI WorldCom.

Where money pools, scum forms at the top.

Regards,

Ken

rackmup
10-02-2002, 09:55 PM
Who you callin' an oxy-moron???

I'm no moron (although I may be an oxy...let me look that up...)