PDA

View Full Version : Game 6 - Heat/Celtics

eg8r
06-07-2012, 01:30 PM
As much as I cannot stand Lebron I guess a couple years after "The Decision" is long enough to move past it. Try as I do, it still is not easy. I just want to see the man miss the finals every single time. This year though it is a bit different. As much as I would like to see Lebron fall flat the alternative really doesn't look so rosy. The Celtics are old and boring (other than Rondo) to watch.

I love that OKC has made the Finals. They are a very exciting team to watch and they beat a very tough, yet aging, Spurs team to get there. I guess that seems to be the storyline this year. Shortened season allows the older guys to play more effectively later in the season. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Having said all that, do I really want to see the Thunder run circles around the Celtics MORE than I want to see Lebron go home early? I don't think so. If Bosh can come back somewhat healthy I think the Heat pose the best option to make the Finals "watchable".

eg8r

Soflasnapper
06-07-2012, 03:38 PM
I like some of the Cs a lot-- Rondo is a phenomenon, Garnett is superb still, Ray's one of my favorites over the years (showing the most wear and tear now, but that's an actual injury-- bone spurs in his ankle(s?)), and I've grudgingly grown to see Pierce as a future HOFer as well.

But I'm a homer, and want to see the Heat win their next two games and advance to the finals. Likely the Thunder would beat them, but it would a 100 mph foot race and spectacular bball. Durant is a scoring machine, physical freak, and maybe the best offensive player in the game. His shooting accuracy range is 0-infinity, OMG!

The series would already be over if the Heat could hit free throws, or if LBJ didn't miss a point-blank dunk by catching the back of the rim on the throwdown, and etc., etc. All true and not excuses, since they have made those errors and have to own them. However, it does indicate they are not an inferior team talent-wise to the Cs, and could have ended the series in 5 like last year in dominant fashion, had they played even to their averages, esp. free throws.

But the Heat are a team in flux, with no consistent lineup, no consistent center (guys start one game and then don't play at all another), inconsistent guard play usually (although Chalmers has had some good games), and just apparently not enough quality healthy role players to match up with deeper teams that play together well.

It might all be on Spoelstra, ruining his chances to become a Filipino legend like Pacquio and Efren, Django, etc., if he takes the fall. I blame the front office for failing to get enough at center (Bosh is a 4 not a 5 man), although they rolled the dice with Eddie Curry, Pittman, and Turiak. Joel Anthony is half of a good center, but still undersized.

Starting Haslem at center last game meant no one in the Heat starting lineup was over 6'8", and that has not happened in pro ball for decades.

eg8r
06-07-2012, 06:01 PM
I place a ton of blame on Spoelstra for not figuring out how to get Wade, Lebron and Bosh to excel together. Still, I would much rather watch the Heat (only with a healthy Bosh) play OKC. Then watch the Celtics at this point.

eg8r

Soflasnapper
06-08-2012, 12:41 PM
They excelled fine, two games away from the title last year, and 4th or so best record this year (home court through the entire playoffs unless Chicago were still in it, and last year ran through them and their home court advantage 4-1).

If by excel you mean equal their career averages when they were all the first and mainly only option for their teams, of course that is impossible, except for one at a time being the workhorse and not getting the others the ball.

As in, last night with LBJ's performance, with Wade's 17 the only other player with double digit scoring.

sack316
06-12-2012, 01:55 AM
I was rooting for Boston to win the series... mostly because I'm sure this is the last season we'll see that team as it is. And there are several future HOFers who I'd love to see get one more ring.

But I must admit, Heat vs. Thunder will be the much more exciting series to watch.

I think we saw a little "changing of the guard" this postseason in the conference finals for both sides.

Sack

eg8r
06-12-2012, 04:14 AM
I have high hopes for this series. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r

Soflasnapper
06-12-2012, 10:13 AM
I think we saw a little "changing of the guard" this postseason in the conference finals for both sides.

While you are right about this being a final curtain call for the Cs as we've known them, of course, the Heat also went through them first to win the conference finals against the Bulls (all at 4-1). So the Heat had changed the guard in the East last year already.

One key to this series is whether Russell Westbrook will continue his team ball play growth, or revert to his ball-hogging ways and jack up a ton of tough shots and shoot in the 30%s, under the likely pressure of D. Wade defending him.

The best d possible on Durant can 'only hold him' to 30 points or more. That guy has mad skills.

sack316
06-13-2012, 09:50 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think we saw a little "changing of the guard" this postseason in the conference finals for both sides.

While you are right about this being a final curtain call for the Cs as we've known them, of course, the Heat also went through them first to win the conference finals against the Bulls (all at 4-1). So the Heat had changed the guard in the East last year already.</div></div>

I suppose they may have. To me there were still questions as to whether they could take a postseason series against a full strength veteran team with established chemistry (IIRC the C's were pretty banged up last year for that series, but I may not recall correctly lol). But at the very least they cemented themselves as being one notch above now in the East (I think the Bulls are around the same level if they are healthy).

But I think we agree that the Thunder have proven themselves as the team in the west... and the Lakers current dynasty is done. I don't think LA is even the best team in LA now!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One key to this series is whether Russell Westbrook will continue his team ball play growth, or revert to his ball-hogging ways and jack up a ton of tough shots and shoot in the 30%s, under the likely pressure of D. Wade defending him.

The best d possible on Durant can 'only hold him' to 30 points or more. That guy has mad skills. </div></div>

Game 1 proved you right on that last comment. Durant made them look silly sometimes! One play he was at the free throw line, and in an instant he was at the rim in 1.5 steps for an easy layup.

I think this type of series comes down to role players as well. The superstars are going to do their thing, and in the end basically wash each other out in terms of the game as a whole. What I think makes the difference is bench depth and role players... who can better keep the pace up and/or keep the game close when the big stars are getting a rest or in foul trouble? I think the Thunder hold this edge, IMHO

Sack

Soflasnapper
06-13-2012, 10:00 AM
I make the OKC Thunder a favorite, but consider the Heat's chances decent.

The difference is the Heat are smaller and while giving up size, also having a shorter bench of good players able to contribute consistently. I think the first game showed the Heat jacked up a lot of jumpers (hit them in the first half, not so much in the second) because the OKC taller squad packed the paint and prevented penetration. (I think-- couldn't watch closely in the pool hall.)

If the Heat can win on Thursday, they'll have an excellent shot at the series. If not, it will depend on whether they can sweep the 3 at home (as they did last in their last title in '06).

Winning the middle three games has been a rarity since the format changed to 2-3-2. It's very hard to accomplish.