PDA

View Full Version : Just got it...

rackmup
10-02-2002, 03:01 PM
For $40.00 per month, a "membership" at Billy Weir's Sky High Billiards.

What's included? Nothing.

Nothing but all the table time I can stand, on any of the Diamond tables, anytime, day or night.

I'm gonna play until my arm cramps up.

Regards,

Ken (Smiling! Diamond Professionals, Aramith balls, Simonis cloth. Oh yes...just like in Heaven)http://www.angelfire.com/fl4/prison/images/sqsmileyface.gif)

nAz
10-02-2002, 03:05 PM
Bastard ! why cant i have that here in NYC!!!

10-02-2002, 03:19 PM
Three times the rent leaps instantly to mind as a possible reason....

rackmup
10-02-2002, 03:24 PM
Ken (boasting, with his chest stuck out):

"Oh yeah. I just walk into Billy's (that's what us members call him) and plop down my membership card and pick up that tray of shiny Aramiths and new Masters Blue and saunter over to table ten. I rack them little phenolic orbs in that PERFECT Diamond rack, chalk the Predator BK and "K-A-B-L-O-O-E-Y! Smash whitey into the pack. Ten hours later I can ask the hostess..."Sweetie, how much is my table time?" She replies..."Nothing Mr. Kingan. You are a MEMBER."

Ahh yes...

Pool at other pool rooms: $8 per hour.

Therapy after playing the "table roll" to no avail at other pool rooms: $75. per hour (not including prescription medication.)

All the pool I can play on a 9' Diamond Pro for just $40. per month: <font color=red>PRICELESS</font color=red>.

Regards,

Ken

bluewolf
10-02-2002, 04:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: rackmup:</font><hr> For $40.00 per month, a "membership" at Billy Weir's Sky High Billiards.

What's included? Nothing.

Nothing but all the table time I can stand, on any of the Diamond tables, anytime, day or night.

I'm gonna play until my arm cramps up.

Regards,

Ken (Smiling! Diamond Professionals, Aramith balls, Simonis cloth. Oh yes...just like in Heaven)&lt;img src="http://www.angelfire.com/fl4/prison/images/sqsmileyface.gif"&gt;) <hr></blockquote>

you lucky dawg....

bw

Doctor_D
10-03-2002, 06:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: nAz:</font><hr> Bastard ! why cant i have that here in NYC!!! <hr></blockquote>

Good morning Naz:

If you travel west to Comet Billiards, 344 Littleton Road, Parsippany, NJ, you can purchase a Monthly Practice Pass; unlimited table time for practice, at a cost of $40.00 for 30 days!

/ccboard/images/icons/cool.gif

Dr. D.

nAz
10-03-2002, 11:22 AM
Doc. D
not bad, any time of the day? how are the tables?
wait with traveling expensives that can run into the hundreds /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Doctor_D
10-03-2002, 11:29 AM
Good afternoon:

The room is One year old and has 20, brand new, Gold Grown IVs. Also, the room has 12,000 square feet. Lots and lots of room between the tables. Additionally, Littleton Road is right off Route 46, I-80 and I-287.

Dr. D.

nAz
10-03-2002, 11:31 AM
Thanks Doc ill keep it in mind for next year when i buy a car

griffith_d
10-03-2002, 11:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: rackmup:</font><hr> Ken (boasting, with his chest stuck out):

"Oh yeah. I just walk into Billy's (that's what us members call him) and plop down my membership card and pick up that tray of shiny Aramiths and new Masters Blue and saunter over to table ten. I rack them little phenolic orbs in that PERFECT Diamond rack, chalk the Predator BK and "K-A-B-L-O-O-E-Y! Smash whitey into the pack. Ten hours later I can ask the hostess..."Sweetie, how much is my table time?" She replies..."Nothing Mr. Kingan. You are a MEMBER."

Ahh yes...

Pool at other pool rooms: $8 per hour.

Therapy after playing the "table roll" to no avail at other pool rooms: $75. per hour (not including prescription medication.)

All the pool I can play on a 9' Diamond Pro for just $40. per month: <font color=red>PRICELESS</font color=red>.

Regards,

Ken <hr></blockquote>

I have got to have it, make Slick Willies, Barney's, Cornbreads, Hot Shots and Legends in Houston do the same thing. If you can do that, I will be grateful. I will email you a month's worth of free pool here.

Griff

TomBrooklyn
10-03-2002, 11:55 AM
Does that include if you are playing someone at your table, or do they put the table on the clock for any other besides you? Tom

9 Ball Girl
10-03-2002, 12:11 PM
I love that poolroom, Comet. The tables are spaced out so that you don't bump into anyone, high ceilings, I love the Warner Bros. pool picture by the Ladies Room, and Bill, the owner is great. When I was there I asked him if he named his room Comet after the old 50's group Bill Haley and the Comets (Bill's last name just happens to be Haley) or if he named it after Haley's Comet. His girlfriend who is equally just as nice and I'm sorry that I forgot her name, explained the whole story to me on her they came to name the room Comet Billiards. Great story!

Wendy~~there's a hint hung up to the left of the door when you exit /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

rackmup
10-03-2002, 01:08 PM
If they don't hold a membership card, they pay the going rate.

Regards,

Ken

AustinFilAm
10-03-2002, 02:20 PM
Ken,
I just got this email from G-Cues (GCIII's w/ Championship cloth) here in Austin:

G Cue Billiards' Eightball League will beginning a new season on Tuesday, October 22nd. The league begins at 7:30 on the 22nd. You can sign up as an individual or bring a team of 5 players to start playing.

If you play in two leagues at G Cue we are going reward you with a VIP card enabling you to play free pool whenever you want. That's any two leagues- an APA league based out of G Cue, Wednesday night nine ball, or Tuesday night 8-Ball. If you are in two of any of those leagues you get a free VIP card to play as much pool as you can stand!!

Hope to see you soon,

Kevin Welling
http://www.gcue.com

Texas = Pool Heaven

Angelo

10-03-2002, 04:05 PM
Rackmup, I just find that amazing. Yes, it's great from your standpoint as a playing customer, but I hope the room manages to stay in business for awhile. My guess is something like this can only be accomplished in a room with considerable alcohol sales and alot of tables that likely go empty and unused for major periods of the operating hours. Surely there must be some stipulations as to the hours in which you're permitted to do this (low demand hours?), or at least a policy of limiting your play if there is a waiting list of full paying customers while you're occupying a table by yourself - which is bringing in the room a whopping $1.33 per day! Is there at least an understanding that you're expected to support the bar and/or restaurant operation while playing.

It kind of sounds to me like the health club that sells thousands of yearly memberships - knowing all to well that their facility can only service a very small percentage of those at any given time. Hopefully for your sake, not too many others will take advantage of this deal, or you won't have any tables left to play on.

We don't have alcohol sales here, so from a business standpoint the best I can offer my most serious players is $150/month for unlimited play - and we have a few that pay it. Even at that price (equivalent of $5 per day) there is an understanding that they'll give up their table or join up on a table with other paying customers when there is a waiting list.

Yes, it's really great when an owner/manager can afford to do something really nice like this for their regulars - to gain customer loyalty and support. The potential problem is when offering deals like this starts creating conflicts and resulting detrimental affects on the business from the less frequent recreational playing customers (waiting lists for tables), which will ultimately start hurting the bottom line of the business's profits.

Personally, I feel like our room, our tables and our high quality pool experience we give our customers here is far too valuable to be giving away for a mere $40 per month. Anyway, enjoy it while it lasts! - Chris in NC

SpiderMan
10-03-2002, 04:29 PM
Chris,

The majority of poolrooms in this (DFW) area are officially classified as "51%" establishments, meaning that they derive 51% or more of their revenue from liquor sales. Also means you have to leave your guns in the car, but that's a different issue.

The deal mentioned by Ken is by no means unique, a similar membership offer was in effect at Hawley's when I used to hang out there. I think it was $30 a month, but that was several years ago.

My own "home" establishment gives me free pool all day/night for playing once a week in their in-house league. Only restrictions are Fri and Sat nites after 8pm. League costs me $10 a week, and there's a cash payback of about 50% of the dues at the end of the season.

I think they come out ahead, as I meet friends there for HH instead of somewhere down the street, which helps build their clientele and sells beer. Any non-league players who shoot on my table get put "on the clock". Seldom are all tables full, so letting me have the balls doesn't cost them anything but a little wear on the equipment. If there's a waiting list, we agree to give up the free pool, but that's never happened to me in several years of playing there.

Most of the Clicks locations in Dallas give a similar deal for their in-house leagues. You get free pool all week, plus most of your weekly dues go to purchase a new cue. They call it their "get-a-cue league", it's an investment in their future. In a 20-week season, you pay $200 in dues, get a $200 (retail) cue, and play free pool except on Fri and Sat nites.

Texas IS pool heaven.

SpiderMan

Chris Cass
10-04-2002, 08:22 AM
Hi Ken,

This is making me sick. First you with the $40. a mth and then Dr. D and Spiderman(Marty). They just got Diamond Bar Boxes in the ph where I play. The monthly rate is $100. that's Monday thru Thursday 10am-6pm and Friday-Sunday after 6pm thru 10pm. The regular rate is $4.hr or $7.50 for 2 people. Loud music, smoke filled (pm only), no air and very high humidity. Tables really close to one another. The 9fts are Olio from Tiawan(sp)they're something like a GC kinda sorta. Florescent lights 48" above the tables and a blower unit pulled from an old furnace laying on the floor. That suppose to move atleast some air, when it doesn't vibrate and turns the unit towards the wall.

The things I do to play pool.

Regards,

C.C.~~needs to come down to Texas and visit Ken and the boys for a mth. Play some 1 hole with Wes too.

rackmup
10-04-2002, 08:31 AM
Chris,

The room is huge (two levels) with the bulk of the 9' Diamond Pros downstairs and one up. The remainder of the tables are 8' Diamonds and are where the average player plays.

The $40. deal (which is actually $50. unless you play in a league there, then you get the $40. rate. I got the $40. rate because I sell maintenance and paper products to the poolroom) is certainly designed to get players into the pool room. Mr. Weir is a retired road player and knows what players want and he has given it to the DFW area players.

There are currently NO restrictions on hours of play. The pool room is incredibily busy on Wednesday nights (Ladies Night...free pool and a DJ) and on Friday and Saturday nights (Live bands and tons of people, I'm told.)

Mr. Weir also owns a very successful room in Odessa, Texas.

As a player, I too, hope this room prospers and continues to offer me the bargain price of all I can play for the very low fee of $40.00.

Regards,

Ken

rackmup
10-04-2002, 08:37 AM
Spiderman,

The only "negative" to the Click's deal is the free play to in-house league players is restricted to the 8' tables.

You know I like the 9'ers!

Regards,

Ken

SpiderMan
10-04-2002, 01:46 PM
Which Clicks deal? I get free time on the 9-footers at Clicks on Marsh. Also on the 9-footers at Rack Daddy's on Abrams (they ueed to be Clicks). I think Skillman is the only one on my current list that charges for nines.

SpiderMan

10-04-2002, 02:30 PM
Do you know how far that room is from Manhattan? And can you get there by train?

rackmup
10-04-2002, 02:55 PM
Click's/Arlington charges us for the 9's. Of course, Arlington tried charging us for water too. You also have to "check out" a "counter" when you use the restroom. It determines the number of sheets of toilet paper used (kind of like the system used with commercial copying machines at Kinko's.) Parking is cheaper than it used to be and they discount it for league players. Oh yes, balls and chalk are an additional charge to the hourly rate. If you use more than one cue (a playing cue and a break cue, for instance) they charge you "cue space rent". This is killing me as I have my jump cue as well. There is a refundable cleaning deposit of $5.00 that is returned to you if you wipe down the rails and brush the cloth after you finish playing. They don't have powder (thank God) but they do charge a buck for little "powder packets".

In light of this, the deal at Sky-High Billiards in Fort Worth is going to save me enough money to take a vacation with next summer.

Regards,

Ken (tends to over-dramatize things at times)

rackmup
10-04-2002, 03:04 PM
it's 1643 miles from Manhattan to Fort Worth. It will take you approximately 26 hours to drive here and the train info? Well, it's about three days and the ticket price depends on how far you book ahead.

Will we see you anytime soon?

Regards,

Ken

10-04-2002, 05:33 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> I love that poolroom, Comet. The tables are spaced out so that you don't bump into anyone, high ceilings, I love the Warner Bros. pool picture by the Ladies Room, and Bill, the owner is great. When I was there I asked him if he named his room Comet after the old 50's group Bill Haley and the Comets (Bill's last name just happens to be Haley) or if he named it after Haley's Comet. His girlfriend who is equally just as nice and I'm sorry that I forgot her name, explained the whole story to me on her they came to name the room Comet Billiards. Great story!

Wendy~~there's a hint hung up to the left of the door when you exit /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif <hr></blockquote>

Bill's fiance's name is Marsha. Hi Wendy!